Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by tin00can »

Today the Angels sent Hank Conger to AAA to make room for Tyler Chatwood to return. Meanwhile, Jeff fucking Mathis is still the #1 catcher. Yes, Conger has been pretty bad lately, but he's still a better option than Mathis and would probably benefit from more playing time.

Sometimes, I hate Scioscia. Another example: Facing Texas tonight, start of a big series, and Mark Trumbo (the team's leading power hitter) is batting 8th, in front of...you guessed it, Jeff Mathis. I expect him to get a few IBBs tonight and Mathis to leave him stranded.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:Today the Angels sent Hank Conger to AAA to make room for Tyler Chatwood to return. Meanwhile, Jeff fucking Mathis is still the #1 catcher. Yes, Conger has been pretty bad lately, but he's still a better option than Mathis and would probably benefit from more playing time.

Sometimes, I hate Scioscia. Another example: Facing Texas tonight, start of a big series, and Mark Trumbo (the team's leading power hitter) is batting 8th, in front of...you guessed it, Jeff Mathis. I expect him to get a few IBBs tonight and Mathis to leave him stranded.
You can't fuck with Texas right now. The run that team is on? Sciosca made a big mistake, aside from their power the aggresiveness on the basepaths makes me think of Anaheim 2002.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Ellsbury hit 2 more HRs today for a total of 15 HRs.

Is it too early to start calling him "Say Hey"?
(Just kidding)
He is having a helluva season.

There is talk of the Sox getting Beltran at the deadline to replace Drew in right. I don't think they need him - I'd rather they stick with Reddick and if they decide to do anything go get another starter because they are thin after Beckett, Lester, and Buccholz.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

killeverything wrote:
tin00can wrote:Today the Angels sent Hank Conger to AAA to make room for Tyler Chatwood to return. Meanwhile, Jeff fucking Mathis is still the #1 catcher. Yes, Conger has been pretty bad lately, but he's still a better option than Mathis and would probably benefit from more playing time.

You can't fuck with Texas right now. The run that team is on? Sciosca made a big mistake, aside from their power the aggresiveness on the basepaths makes me think of Anaheim 2002.

Texas has a great balance right now - pitching, hitting, defense, they have it all. I think they're gonna start walking away with the division very soon.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Great fucking game last night for the Angels. I was in class and watching the mlb gamecast on my computer, Angels were down 8-3 in the top of the 6th and I had given up. Had to stop watching for a bit and when I came back it was 8-7, Angels ended up winning 9-8. They needed that. Kendrick came up bit with 4 RBI.

Rubber game today, battle of the aces: Weaver versus Wilson. Won't get to see much because I'm at work but it should be good.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

Oh man, Pirates just got fucking HOSED!!!! Lugo was out by a goddamn mile! Shitty for Pittsburgh.

On another note...did anyone catch any highlights about a praying mantis in DC?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fuck sigs.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

I thought there were going to be some great playoff races this year but it's starting to look like the AL playoff teams are pretty much set with 61 games to play.

Boston and NY look like locks as they are 8.5 and 6.5 games up in the wild card race. The only question there is who wins the division and who is the wild card but as we've seen it really doesn't matter too much as long as the team gets in.

Texas look good and only has to worry about LA and I don't think LA is consistent enough to stay with them down the stretch.

Detroit should be alright in the central. Cleveland is fading and shouldn't be a factor. Unless Chicago does something crazy at the trade deadline they shouldn't be a factor either.

I think the only thing not certain is the match-ups in the Wild Card round and whether Boston or NY will have homefield. Other than that I can't see it not being Red Sox, Yankees, Rangers, and Tigers come October.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:Oh man, Pirates just got fucking HOSED!!!! Lugo was out by a goddamn mile! Shitty for Pittsburgh.

Another reason why MLB should have a replay system in place?
Would have taken a minute or two at the most for a replay official to overturn the call. Game would continue. End of "drama" & "controversy".

99.9% of the time the runner is called out on a tag play when the ball beats the runner.

Bud Selig-You were probably already asleep when this play happened, but that does not excuse you from preventing this league from using modern technology to get the call right.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

He was out alright.

The game I was most interested in was Philly @ SF. Lincecum was scratched because he was sick. I just think those are the two powerhouses in the NL. The Giants are lacking offense with Posey out, but their still the defending champion.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Ervin Santana throws a no-no.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Facedown wrote:Ervin Santana throws a no-no.

I got to catch the last two innings on the radio during my lunch break. Fuck yeah! The last two months Santana has been excellent, but hasn't been getting squat for run support. Today was awesome.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:
Facedown wrote:Ervin Santana throws a no-no.

I got to catch the last two innings on the radio during my lunch break. Fuck yeah! The last two months Santana has been excellent, but hasn't been getting squat for run support. Today was awesome.
Holy shit. I didn't even know. Today was a good baseball day then.

The MFY lost as Seattle's bats finally woke up against Hughes. Plus King Felix got some fucking run support.

John Lackey didn't suck.

No hitters are cool.

Carlos Beltran has been traded to the Giants. That makes the Mets a worse team without him. I hate the Mets, so that's cool.

The Cardinals got Edwin Jackson for Colby Rasmus in a three team deal.

MLB admitted the call as being wrong yesterday. Jackasses.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

SkyDog112046 wrote: Texas look good and only has to worry about LA and I don't think LA is consistent enough to stay with them down the stretch.

Texas went on a tear for a while and now they're still just two games ahead of the Angels. They have ten games left together, seven of them at Anaheim, three of them at the end of the season. It will probably come down to those games. The Angels have a terrible offense, great starting pitching (a starting three of Weaver/Haren/Santana could take them far if they get to the playoffs) and a good bullpen. If the offense can pick it up just a little bit, it's a race.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Have the Red Sox ever made a worse signing than John Lackey? He never pitched well in Fenway and he has a small market make up. Since he came to Boston he's been pretty much useless putting up #5 starter numbers while getting ace pay.

If he didn't have such a big contract he would have been gone long ago. I honestly can't think of a worse free agent signing for the Red Sox with all factors considered. Is he Boston's worse signing ever?
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Have the Red Sox ever made a worse signing than John Lackey? He never pitched well in Fenway and he has a small market make up. Since he came to Boston he's been pretty much useless putting up #5 starter numbers while getting ace pay.

If he didn't have such a big contract he would have been gone long ago. I honestly can't think of a worse free agent signing for the Red Sox with all factors considered. Is he Boston's worse signing ever?
Ironically he's been piling up the wins.

As for worst.......let's see ( going backward to the best of my memory ):

Rentawreck
Dice
Suppan ( actually I think that was a trade )
Clement
Wells
Gagne ( trade but you see my point )
Lugo
Those were all Theo's. Just like the two rings were won with Duquette's team.

Canseco
Giambi
Mondesi
Pena
Fossum
Martinez ( Ramon )

Now you never give a pitcher of Lackey's age a 5 year contract, but the one they signed Matsuzaka to, dwarfs all others.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

killeverything wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:Have the Red Sox ever made a worse signing than John Lackey? He never pitched well in Fenway and he has a small market make up. Since he came to Boston he's been pretty much useless putting up #5 starter numbers while getting ace pay.

Ironically he's been piling up the wins.

As for worst.......let's see ( going backward to the best of my memory ):

Rentawreck
Dice
Suppan ( actually I think that was a trade )
Clement
Wells
Gagne ( trade but you see my point )
Lugo
Those were all Theo's. Just like the two rings were won with Duquette's team.

Canseco
Giambi
Mondesi
Pena
Fossum
Martinez ( Ramon )

Now you never give a pitcher of Lackey's age a 5 year contract, but the one they signed Matsuzaka to, dwarfs all others.
Lackey is piling up the wins only because the Sox have been putting up 10+ runs when he starts. A WHIP near 2:00 and an ERA over 6.00 say he
doesn't deserve to win anything.

Rent-a-wreck was a bad signing, but it was for less dollars and at least there was a history of success there - Lackey has flat out sucked in Fenway from day 1. Dice-K is looking bad but he did help win a ring and had a couple of good seasons before he imploded. Suppan and Gagne were deadline deals and they got picks for them. Clement was horrible but again it was for less dollars and he gave them an all-star performance one year. Lugo was bad too but he had flashes where he performed.

DL Drew was a shitty signing too but he did hit the $14M Home Run. I'd add Jose Awfulman and Cameron to the list but again they were nowhere near as bad as Lackey due to contract length & dollars.

None of these guys had the warning signs that Lackey had prior to signing. He should have come with a Surgeon Generals Warning that said "Lackey pitching at Fenway is hazardous to your team's health." You can't even make a case that grabbing him kept him from a competitor because he was half the reason the Sox owned the Angels all those years. I would have loved seeing him in pinstripes 6 times a year.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

I laughed a bit when Lackey signed in Boston.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

26 game hitting streak for my Emilio Bonifacio! Goddamn, has he come a long way. He's finally figuring it out. Methinks Infante will be gone next season and he'll be our 2nd baseman.

Mike Cameron has been a very pleasant surprise!

Mike Stanton...those GUNS of his...<swoon....thud>
Fuck sigs.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:26 game hitting streak for my Emilio Bonifacio! Goddamn, has he come a long way. He's finally figuring it out. Methinks Infante will be gone next season and he'll be our 2nd baseman.

Mike Cameron has been a very pleasant surprise!

Mike Stanton...those GUNS of his...<swoon....thud>
I will always love Mike Cameron. Boston had to DFA him to make a pitching roster spot. Wish he could've avoided the DL, but with his age it's to be expected. Plays hard always. A true dirt dog.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

With Colby Rasmus going to Toronto ( the best availible OF ). Seattle signed Wily Mo Pena who was cut by Arizona. Now that guy has fucking power......when he gets a hit. He hasn't been a decent MLB hitter since '07 though, and I was skeptical when Boston tried him. If Suerrholz ( sp? ) let's any prospect go. Pass.

Now he's annihilated LHP in the PCL with Portland ( Padres ) in 2010, this year for Reno ( AZ duh ) he had a .363/.439/.726 line. They say it's a band box in Reno. Well all the PCL is a band box except for Portland, which is no longer in existence so hipster faggots can play soccer.

So this leads to speculation about Seattle's lack of plate power. Is Wily Mo going to be used to replace Jack Cust at DH ( another former Portland player )? His 50 plate apperances in AZ didn't do much, lots of Ks with 5HR. Are they going to send someone else back down to Tacoma and keep Carp in LF and giving him PA? I think he deserves a shot personally, at least a 100 ABs this season ( Carp not Pena ). Seattle needs to do something with the offense without unloading Ackley, Pineda or Smoak.

There's rumors of Boston's ( and I believe the MFY's ) interest in Bedard. Who I guess is a trade piece for a team in the race. Still Bedard want's to stay and I don't think he's worth what other teams will have to part with.

Not too long ago Seattle looked like a team that could cause a headache for Texas and Anaheim fighting it out.....
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

So, Pence to the Phillies, huh?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Sox trading for Rich Harden. Reportedly sending Lars Andersen and a player to be named later.
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

Uehara to the Rangers, so I get to hear Pat Tabler say, "We just saul him in the series here against the Orioles."
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
LAPoet
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by LAPoet »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Sox trading for Rich Harden. Reportedly sending Lars Andersen and a player to be named later.
deal fell through..Harden's staying in Oak-town
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

LAPoet wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:Sox trading for Rich Harden. Reportedly sending Lars Andersen and a player to be named later.
deal fell through..Harden's staying in Oak-town
The Sox pulled out of the deal after seeing Harden's medical info.
LAPoet
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by LAPoet »

Michael Bourn to Atlanta
Shinerrox
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by Shinerrox »

Do you know how hard it is being an Astros fan right now?? Now I know what it's like to be a KC Royals fan!!
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Bedard to Boston. I think he is damaged goods. And on top of that he doesn't like the spotlight. Not a good move.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Shinerrox wrote:Do you know how hard it is being an Astros fan right now?? Now I know what it's like to be a KC Royals fan!!
Ed Wade has put a better team on the field in Philly than when he actually worked there.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Bedard to Boston. I think he is damaged goods. And on top of that he doesn't like the spotlight. Not a good move.
It's an insurance rental for Buccholz. What Jack Z picked up for him prospects-wise could turn out pretty good.

Travon Robinson from LAD has tore up the PCL ( 293/.375/.563 for the Albuquerque Isotopes with twenty-six home runs (and somehow only nine doubles ). He strikes out a lot, but has risen from 30BB to 60 this season. Player comps have him as a lesser switch-hitting Mike Cameron. Cameron was never an elite prospect though. Robinson can compete for a roster spot next season. Robinson's flaws ( weak arm can be over-looked for his other tools). Looks like Seattle made out the best in this deal.

Bedard is a K pitcher when healthy. If he can handle the media glare in the AL East, and stay healthy. High strikeout pitchers also seem to give up runs sometimes. With the Red Sox offense behind him though, he could rack up wins like John Lackey.

From Boston is Chiang who really hasn't been working out, and is pretty injury prone. Boston also got Fields in the deal which hasn't worked out so far. So I guess that evens it out.