The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

I'm damn near fucking giddy...it appears (early yet though) that we finally have a goalie that doesn't put us 2 goals in the hole and battling from behind right outta the gate every game.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Tommy wrote:
WOLF wrote:Habs picked up Blair Betts, off of waivers, from the Flyers today. Nice pick up. We needed a 4th line center, with size and a low price tag, who can kill penalties. Thrilled with this move.

You'll love him.

Another Sather/Torts fuck up.
D'oh! This just in...

OCT - 9
2:23 p.m.

BETTS BACK WITH FLYERS
As a result of a ruling by the National Hockey League today, center Blair Betts is back with the Flyers after being claimed off of waivers by the Montreal Canadiens last week.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren made the following statement:

“After the waiver claim, Montreal exercised their right to a physical examination of Blair. Apparently, they found something that concerned them and had asked the league to void the waiver claim. Blair is back on our roster as of today.”

Below is the full statement by the National Hockey League regarding Blair Betts and the Montreal Canadiens:

Forward Blair Betts, who was claimed on waivers by the Montreal Canadiens from the Philadelphia Flyers on October 5, has been returned to the Flyers, per NHL By-Law 11.8 (a), the National Hockey League announced today.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman rendered the decision after reviewing submissions from both Clubs. By-Law 11.8 (a) states: "The Member Club acquiring a player by waiver claim shall take an assignment of the player's contract. Nevertheless, if the Commissioner determines that a player acquired by waiver claim is not physically fit at the time the claim is made, the Member Club making the claim may refuse to take an assignment of such player's contract and the request for waivers shall be cancelled."

In reaching his decision, Commissioner Bettman stated: "While it is clear that both clubs have acted in good faith in this unique situation (i.e. a waiver claim), I am not prepared to dispute the conclusion of the Montreal Club doctors that Mr. Betts was physically unfit to play at the time of the claim. Therefore, it is my decision that, per League By-Laws, the appropriate resolution to this matter is to restore the parties to the position they were in prior to the waiver claim on Oct. 5."
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:Flyers 3 Devils 0...

Bryzgalov

Giroux

And Wayne Motherfuckin' Simmonds!

Damn I'm lovin' this team already.
:P
Not this shit again :? I can deal with the Mets being a losing team, but the Devils is all I got left
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:Looks like the Islanders are going to get shut out in front of a sold out a crowd at home in the season opener.

Fuuuucckkkkk me.
how did they sell it out? offer free beer and hot dogs?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Looks like the Islanders are going to get shut out in front of a sold out a crowd at home in the season opener.

Fuuuucckkkkk me.

Well, they didn't blow the stanley cup, with their choking goalie and their team as tough as the Finnish women's national team. :lol: :lol:
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:
Tommy wrote:
WOLF wrote:Habs picked up Blair Betts, off of waivers, from the Flyers today. Nice pick up. We needed a 4th line center, with size and a low price tag, who can kill penalties. Thrilled with this move.

You'll love him.

Another Sather/Torts fuck up.
D'oh! This just in...

OCT - 9
2:23 p.m.

BETTS BACK WITH FLYERS
As a result of a ruling by the National Hockey League today, center Blair Betts is back with the Flyers after being claimed off of waivers by the Montreal Canadiens last week.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren made the following statement:

“After the waiver claim, Montreal exercised their right to a physical examination of Blair. Apparently, they found something that concerned them and had asked the league to void the waiver claim. Blair is back on our roster as of today.”

Below is the full statement by the National Hockey League regarding Blair Betts and the Montreal Canadiens:

Forward Blair Betts, who was claimed on waivers by the Montreal Canadiens from the Philadelphia Flyers on October 5, has been returned to the Flyers, per NHL By-Law 11.8 (a), the National Hockey League announced today.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman rendered the decision after reviewing submissions from both Clubs. By-Law 11.8 (a) states: "The Member Club acquiring a player by waiver claim shall take an assignment of the player's contract. Nevertheless, if the Commissioner determines that a player acquired by waiver claim is not physically fit at the time the claim is made, the Member Club making the claim may refuse to take an assignment of such player's contract and the request for waivers shall be cancelled."

In reaching his decision, Commissioner Bettman stated: "While it is clear that both clubs have acted in good faith in this unique situation (i.e. a waiver claim), I am not prepared to dispute the conclusion of the Montreal Club doctors that Mr. Betts was physically unfit to play at the time of the claim. Therefore, it is my decision that, per League By-Laws, the appropriate resolution to this matter is to restore the parties to the position they were in prior to the waiver claim on Oct. 5."
Mr. Betts, we hardly knew ye!

Actually, that's going to cause a minor cap headache for the Flyers, as cap reasons were why they originally waived him.

Friggin' Habs. Sign Campoli and Betts to provide depth as they have so many injuries. Campoli's skate get caughts in a rut game one in Toronto and he's out for "months, not weeks", and now this with Betts. Not to mention Cammallari getting seriously cut yesterday and Spacek getting hurt. Two games in and the IR looks like: Eller, White, Markov, Campoli, Cammallari, Spacek!
Last edited by WOLF on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

That Cammalleri injury was scary. Not too often if ever a guy on the bench is trying to get the attention of the official so he can hurry to the locker room.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

NeverSurrender wrote:That Cammalleri injury was scary. Not too often if ever a guy on the bench is trying to get the attention of the official so he can hurry to the locker room.
Yeah, he got a gash on his knee from a freshly sharpened skate. There's no access to the visitor's dressing room, or trainers room, from behind the bench at the MTS Centre, so the Habs had to get the refs attention, have him blow the play dead, and then hurry Cammi off the ice because he was bleeding so bad.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

They will probably finish around 12th in the conference this year, but the Oil look pretty good, guys like Hall/Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are exciting to watch, give it a few years...
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

Fuuuucckkkkk me.

Well, they didn't blow the stanley cup, with their choking goalie and their team as tough as the Finnish women's national team. :lol: :lol:
and they still sold out every exhibition game plus the home opener.
so what's the deal? did the fans wake up and realize they have some good young players from all the high draft picks they've had over the past ten years?or does the first game always sell out?

and why weren't you there?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Because I live in Florida?

I already paid 1500 dollars to go there and watch two games next month, I thought that was being a good enough fan.

It will actually be my first time ever at an Islanders home game. Pretty cool.
Last edited by NeverSurrender on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WOLF WROTE:
Yeah, he got a gash on his knee from a freshly sharpened skate. There's no access to the visitor's dressing room, or trainers room, from behind the bench at the MTS Centre, so the Habs had to get the refs attention, have him blow the play dead, and then hurry Cammi off the ice because he was bleeding so bad.
I actualy never thought about them not having a tunnel behind the bench until you said that. Kinda' like minor hockey down here. I hope he is okay, he's one of my favorite players to watch.

jizzyjizim wrote:They will probably finish around 12th in the conference this year, but the Oil look pretty good, guys like Hall/Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are exciting to watch, give it a few years...

3 years until we do the 3rd ever Oliers - Isles stanley cup finals.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:Because I live in Florida?

I already paid 1500 dollars to go there and watch two games next month, I thought that was being a good enough fan.

that's a pretty good excuse.

must be tough being an islanders fan when you could be cheering for the hockey hotbed florida panthers.

who ya gonna see play?

tell me it's the panthers.

or better yet.....

vancouver!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

watching the canucks play in columbus. you can't help but noice how many emty seats there are. couldn't figure out why until i heard the music.

first there was a really bad version of "rock you" by helix. might have been a live band at the game.

then i heard "up all night" right off the cd. or maybe it was a cassette. but it was the original.

so if there's a bluejacket fan on here, can you tell us wtf this was aboot?

do they always play that?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Because I live in Florida?

that's a pretty good excuse.

must be tough being an islanders fan when you could be cheering for the hockey hotbed florida panthers.

who ya gonna see play?

tell me it's the panthers.

or better yet.....

vancouver!
The Rangers then Habs, and I live 10 hours from where the Panthers play. The Thrashers were the closet NHL team to me. Now it;s the Lightning then Preds.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

chungasrevenge wrote:A new season begins!

Kings over Rangers in the finals.

B's shot to repeat depends on Rask and Seguin.

Man, he had one hell of a goal last night. Sweet shot, from a weird angle.
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

Seguin and Marchand are beast mode so far this year. Looch and Horton were struggling with Krejci, but that line was downright scary with Seguin last night. Cam Ward made some huge saves.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

Sidney Crosby is cleared for contact. He will be back in no time.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

AliceManson wrote:Sidney Crosby is cleared for contact. He will be back out in no time.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

AliceManson wrote:Sidney Crosby is cleared for contact. He will be back in no time.
Oh really? I hadn't heard anybody on NHL network mention it.
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

NeverSurrender wrote:
AliceManson wrote:Sidney Crosby is cleared for contact. He will be back in no time.
I didn't know Jeremy Roenick posted here.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

LetUsPrey wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:

JR was dead on. i like seeing media call out media.
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

Absolutely.

I read Puck Daddy every day at work and can't begin to tell you how sick I was of hearing about Sid. Guy's a douchebag and I guarantee next time his brain gets scrambled he's done for good. Just ask Savard.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I can't count how many times I saw Sid take a swat at a guy only to have his goons show up and save him. Then when the isles beat that ass Mario cried all over tv, even though the Pens had the most fighting majors in the NHL at that time.

After Febuary 11th they only hade 8 more fights. :lol: :lol:
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

NeverSurrender wrote:
LetUsPrey wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote: Oh really? I hadn't heard anybody on NHL network mention it.

JR was dead on. i like seeing media call out media.

He was right on that a person with a concussion should just get right out and play? He had a few too many concussions, and I am assuming you did too to be one of the few who agrees with him.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

NeverSurrender wrote:I can't count how many times I saw Sid take a swat at a guy only to have his goons show up and save him. Then when the isles beat that ass Mario cried all over tv, even though the Pens had the most fighting majors in the NHL at that time.

Cried all over TV? He issued one statement. You really do have brain damage or just a love for changing the facts.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

AliceManson wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:I can't count how many times I saw Sid take a swat at a guy only to have his goons show up and save him. Then when the isles beat that ass Mario cried all over tv, even though the Pens had the most fighting majors in the NHL at that time.

Cried all over TV? He issued one statement. You really do have brain damage or just a love for changing the facts.
Mario would never cry. I'm sorry, you're right. I figured you would get the sarcasm. My point is Mario cries a lot. And when you employ Matt Cooke and have the most fights in the NHL, you might want to STFU when the little guy beats up the bully.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

AliceManson wrote:

He was right on that a person with a concussion should just get right out and play? He had a few too many concussions, and I am assuming you did too to be one of the few who agrees with him.

No, he said he's sick of hearing about it. Like the rest of us.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

NeverSurrender wrote:
AliceManson wrote:

Mario would never cry. I'm sorry, you're right. I figured you would get the sarcasm. My point is Mario cries a lot. And when you employ Matt Cooke and have the most fights in the NHL, you might want to STFU when the little guy beats up the bully.

How can he cry a lot when he barely says anything? I never said Matt Cooke was an angel like you think Trevor Gillies is.