NFL 2011 Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: NFL 2011 Thread

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

How long did Steve Young wallow in mediocrity? That turned out OK.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

bane wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:If you're Denver, bringing in Garrard makes a lot of sense. He can run an offense based on a running attack with a modified option and then make the reads and throws Tebow can't. All they have to do is take the offense they dumbed down for Tebow and dial it back up notch. If Tebow doesn't show any improvement they won't have to completely overhaul the offense for his replacement. A ball control offense with good defense backing it up is tailor made for Garrard. Thoughts?
That's not a bad idea. Do you think Garrard would go somewhere that he had to beat somebody else out for the job? They'll give Tebow as much rope as they can.
Anywhere Garrard goes he's going to have to beat someone for the job. He's been out of football for a year so nobody is going to hand him the keys to the offense off the bat. Denver can probably give him the best deal because the only other QB on the roster is Tebow and he's not making max dollars. I think Elway is waiting for Tebow to stink it up so he can be replaced.
noam_bombsky
Forming a Band

Post by noam_bombsky »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:How long did Steve Young wallow in mediocrity? That turned out OK.
Well, you've got a point. Hopefully Smith can show some consistancy now that he's got a coach that will be around for more than a year or two.
It's like granny always said: "Some turds float to the top; some turds sink to the bottom. In the end, they all get flushed."
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

noam_bombsky wrote:So i'd just like to say as a 49ers fan that I'm pretty pissed that two great offensive series (plays, really) is apparently all it takes for Alex Smith to be cemented in as the starting QB. Start of the season, all anyone was talking about was who the 49ers were gonna look for at QB once Smith was out. Now, everybody apparently thinks this guy is franchise. Now, I'm very glad that Smith stepped up when he needed to, and hope he continues to do so this sunday. But let's not forget that the defense had 5 turnovers and it was still only a one possesion game from the 2nd quarter on. The offense failed to capitalize on the opportunities the defense gave them all game long. Are the 49ers management and fans really going to forget six seasons of mediocrity at QB because of an exciting finish to one playoff game?
It all depends on what he does this week. Part of his problem was lack of continuity under the past coaches & systems. Harbaugh has put something in place that seems to agree with him. There is always the possibility he is a late bloomer. Smith made some big league throws last week and that has to count for something coming in a playoff game against a team like New Orleans. But that being said if he comes out this week and goes 12 for 27 with 0 TDs & 3 INTs then he loses the good will he gained last Saturday. On the other hand if he comes out and goes 21 for 28 with 2 TDs and no INTs and put SF in the Superbowl then he should be treated as a franchise QB in the making.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:How long did Steve Young wallow in mediocrity? That turned out OK.
Little different. Steve Young had two seasons in the USFL followed by one year in Tampa, when Tampa was run worse than the USFL. Steve Young was brought into back up Montana and he had the man's job within a few years.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
noam_bombsky
Forming a Band

Post by noam_bombsky »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
noam_bombsky wrote:So i'd just like to say as a 49ers fan that I'm pretty pissed that two great offensive series (plays, really) is apparently all it takes for Alex Smith to be cemented in as the starting QB. Start of the season, all anyone was talking about was who the 49ers were gonna look for at QB once Smith was out. Now, everybody apparently thinks this guy is franchise. Now, I'm very glad that Smith stepped up when he needed to, and hope he continues to do so this sunday. But let's not forget that the defense had 5 turnovers and it was still only a one possesion game from the 2nd quarter on. The offense failed to capitalize on the opportunities the defense gave them all game long. Are the 49ers management and fans really going to forget six seasons of mediocrity at QB because of an exciting finish to one playoff game?
It all depends on what he does this week. Part of his problem was lack of continuity under the past coaches & systems. Harbaugh has put something in place that seems to agree with him. There is always the possibility he is a late bloomer. Smith made some big league throws last week and that has to count for something coming in a playoff game against a team like New Orleans. But that being said if he comes out this week and goes 12 for 27 with 0 TDs & 3 INTs then he loses the good will he gained last Saturday. On the other hand if he comes out and goes 21 for 28 with 2 TDs and no INTs and put SF in the Superbowl then he should be treated as a franchise QB in the making.
Yeah, I suppose that's the only logical way to look at it. He showed an ability for the big play last week, so hopefully he's on his way to being able to do so on a consistant basis, and it wasn't just a one game fluke. SF has committed six years to Smith at QB, it'd be a shame to have to start from scratch.
It's like granny always said: "Some turds float to the top; some turds sink to the bottom. In the end, they all get flushed."
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

What, no insightful analysis from P13 regarding Caldwell's departure? I waited all day for that.

my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
WTF

Post by WTF »

LAglamrocker wrote:yea first 2 shots at AFC best team last decade from a team that was going nowhere, now near the top of AFC

Tebow will have playing 1 1/2 years experience against Bradys 12 years next season when Denver comes to town. Tebowhate will be judged again
You realize that if you want to compare apples to apples, you need to look at what Brady did in his first year as a starter, right? I'll give you a moment to look that up.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The ratings for Wild Card weekend and the Divisional Round were excellent again. These are good matchups again this weekend so the numbers should be excellent yet again. And as always the Superbowl numbers will be off the charts regardless of which two teams end up playing. Turns out the 20 biggest global TV events are all Superbowls. The NFL has gotten it right. That strike that came close to disrupting the season is a distant memory. People love their football.

The salary cap and revenue sharing gives teams an equal footing so fans from each team can stay involved. Twelve AFC teams had either a shot at a playoff spot or seeding on the line on the last weekend of the season. Same thing for 10 of the NFC teams. That's almost 70% of the league still in the hunt at the end. Even if someone's team was out of it chances are they played in a meaningful game which should have drawn interest. And if they were completely out of it this season they could be a contender in just 2-3 years with just semi-competent management. Nothing is perfect but it's the best system there is in professional sports. And the ratings prove it.
WTF

Post by WTF »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
The salary cap and revenue sharing gives teams an equal footing so fans from each team can stay involved. Twelve AFC teams had either a shot at a playoff spot or seeding on the line on the last weekend of the season. Same thing for 10 of the NFC teams. That's almost 70% of the league still in the hunt at the end. Even if someone's team was out of it chances are they played in a meaningful game which should have drawn interest. And if they were completely out of it this season they could be a contender in just 2-3 years with just semi-competent management. Nothing is perfect but it's the best system there is in professional sports. And the ratings prove it.
Not to mention the fact that playing 16 games instead of 162 or 82 makes virtually every game count. I know that you can't REALLY compare the number of games played in each major league due to the extreme physical nature of football, but there is definitely something to be said for shorter schedules in all the major sports....
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

WTF wrote:Not to mention the fact that playing 16 games instead of 162 or 82 makes virtually every game count. I know that you can't REALLY compare the number of games played in each major league due to the extreme physical nature of football, but there is definitely something to be said for shorter schedules in all the major sports....
Basketball is fucking ridiculous. The playoffs seem to last 2 or 3 months.

Football has that shit right. A short season where every game counts, and an awesome playoffs that only lasts ONE month. That's how the shit is done.

Hockey is even more ridiculous...they play an entire season to eliminate about 30% of the teams, and then have endless playoffs.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

WTF wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:
Not to mention the fact that playing 16 games instead of 162 or 82 makes virtually every game count. I know that you can't REALLY compare the number of games played in each major league due to the extreme physical nature of football, but there is definitely something to be said for shorter schedules in all the major sports....
I'd be just fine with the NBA keeping their current truncated season from here on out.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Space Bear wrote: I'd be just fine with the NBA keeping their current truncated season from here on out.
Even 66 games is too much. A 50 game season where each team plays twice a week would be perfect.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

At the same time having only a 16 game season limits the amount of money that can be generated through the gate etc., and tv. Which is why they are looking at a 17th game in the NFL. They are struggling to find new revenue streams and so have to look at increasing the regular season schedule to do it.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

MickeyG wrote:At the same time having only a 16 game season limits the amount of money that can be generated through the gate etc., and tv. Which is why they are looking at a 17th game in the NFL. They are struggling to find new revenue streams and so have to look at increasing the regular season schedule to do it.
There is certainly a market for more games. They could easily add 2 more games to the schedule and the networks, viewers and sponsors would jump on it. But 18 games is way to much toll on their bodies. They would have to drop preseason games and perhaps add a second bye week so the players could get through the season. I could see them also having to expand the rosters to cover the additional injuries. They could start one week earlier and get rid of the week off before the Superbowl and it could work.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

MickeyG wrote:At the same time having only a 16 game season limits the amount of money that can be generated through the gate etc., and tv. Which is why they are looking at a 17th game in the NFL. They are struggling to find new revenue streams and so have to look at increasing the regular season schedule to do it.
I thought the NFL was looking for an 18 game regular season with a 2 game
exhibition season?
The owners are greedy bastards.
The amount of significant injuries is going to ruin the game if the regular season is extended.

Owners will bitch about losing 2 exhibition games. Fuck 'em. Owners charge full price for 2-3 exhibition games that mean nothing and mostly feature players that don't end up making the roster.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Yeah, I think you guys are right with the 18. I fucked up and put 17. I think it's a good idea because pre-season sucks. I also agree about expanding the rosters to cover the extra games, and also wouldn't be surprised to see some more rule changes regarding hits etc., to put less physical stress on the players. They'll probably do less training through the week too.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

noam_bombsky wrote:
Well, you've got a point. Hopefully Smith can show some consistancy now that he's got a coach that will be around for more than a year or two.
They absolutely can't give up on him now they've got so many of the other pieces in place. Is he going to be Steve Young 2? Probably not. But to judge him on the seasons before this one is as unreasonable as to judge him on this one alone. Almost nobody could have made a go of some of those 49ers teams, and no QB is going to thrive through 700 ineffectual offensive coordinators in their first five years in the league.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
Space Bear wrote: I'd be just fine with the NBA keeping their current truncated season from here on out.
Even 66 games is too much. A 50 game season where each team plays twice a week would be perfect.
Absolutely agree. Plenty of games to establish contenders, and far less in the way of wear and tear injuries to the big stars who bring in the $$$. They should cut the play-offs back too, to make the smaller number of regular season games more important.

I mean, they'll never do this, but it would make the league far more entertaining.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Good luck on shutting me up.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Surrender, what team do you like?
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

LAglamrocker wrote:Surrender, what team do you like?
Had you ever even read a Locker Room thread prior to Tebow's emergence?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Good luck on shutting me up.
That's fine but I notice you couldn't back up what you were flapping your gums about!! If you are going to accuse someone of something, back it up!
What are you talking about? You said p13 shouldn't talk shit because they sucked and you had a good year. I pointed out how often Packers fans fuck with Vikes fans for choking while they have a worse record than the vikes. You're a hypocrite, and it doesn't matter how big your yellow font is.

BTW, That shit was funny as hell. Go Eli!!

LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Fiend, no I don't write down any info on stuff from Sludge, just curious what team Surrender likes

what ever team it is I'm sure the QB is "better" then Tebow!
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

LOOK RIGHT ABOVE YOUR POST AND YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT TEAM HE SUPPORTS, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!

:roll: :lol:
Last edited by MurrayFiend on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

LAglamrocker wrote:Fiend, no I don't write down any info on stuff from Sludge, just curious what team Surrender likes

Unfortunately, I'm a Vikes fan.
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

NeverSurrender wrote:
LAglamrocker wrote:Fiend, no I don't write down any info on stuff from Sludge, just curious what team Surrender likes

Unfortunately, I'm a Vikes fan.
My wife is a Vikings fan. I tried to be funny once and said, "You're a Vikings fan...you must be addicted to heartache!".

To which she responded, "Yeah, I'm addicted to heartache. I married you, didn't I?".

Ouch. :oops:
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

My 9 year old niece wanted to be a Vikes fan and i talked her out of it, no shit.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:My 9 year old niece wanted to be a Vikes fan and i talked her out of it, no shit.
Not cool brah.

I took my nephew to 2 Redskins games this year (both losses of course - one to your fucking bullshit Vikings and Joe "Tarkenton reborn" Webb). We are bringing him up right.

Part of sports fandom - and yes, life (hallmark moment!) - is understanding that you aren't always going to win, and that there are ebbs and flows.

Your niece is gonna turn out like P13 if you aren't careful.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Crazy Levi wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:My 9 year old niece wanted to be a Vikes fan and i talked her out of it, no shit.
Not cool brah.

I took my nephew to 2 Redskins games this year (both losses of course - one to your fucking bullshit Vikings and Joe "Tarkenton reborn" Webb). We are bringing him up right.

Part of sports fandom - and yes, life (hallmark moment!) - is understanding that you aren't always going to win, and that there are ebbs and flows.

Your niece is gonna turn out like P13 if you aren't careful.
It depends. Does his niece live in Minnesota, or their tv market? If not, why sentence her to a lifetime of NFL Sunday Ticket subscriptions?