Vikings Fans: Who Will You Cheer For When They Leave?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Vikings Fans: Who Will You Cheer For When They Leave?

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

I should start by saying that I still believe that the stadium was never going to get done during an election year. Still, if they don't get it done soon, the Purple will be gone. So Viking fans, which NFL team will you adopt?

I love the Vikings, so I'll probably look for another team with a history of success.....and an even more amazing history of historic failure. Seems the Eagles fit the bill.

The Browns are too bad.
The Bills are a possibility.
The Chargers also would fit.
No expansion teams and/or previous Super Bowl winners.
The Bengals have the team turmoil qualifications.
The Arizona Cardinals are just too boring.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Vikings Fans: Who Will You Cheer For When They Leave?

Post by NeverSurrender »

I'm not from Minny but I probably wouldn't watch football as much. Hard to replace 35 years of loving and following a team.

I still say they stay. If they go and the Jags stay, that's a shame.

And if the people who run that city let the North Stars and Vikings leave, they should all be shot.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

Packers are the closest

them or KC Chiefs
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Yeah, I'm sure the Vikes fans can't wait to cheer for the Packers.
LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

Heenan Snuka wrote:Packers are the closest

them or KC Chiefs
No way in hell I will embrace the Packers.

The tough talk from the NFL and ownership has begun. Godell called MN Gov last night. Not sure MN legislature will be too keen on gettng bullied into a special session.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
intimid8r
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by intimid8r »

The deal will get done in the next legislative session. Once Ziggy starts talking to other suitors urgency to make a deal will ensue. It's an election year anyway.........none of the politicians wants to stick their neck out.
Drunk Kennedy
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Drunk Kennedy »

i miss gr8whte.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

The NFL needs the four teams they have in the NFC north. They're not letting Minny go anywhere. Especially now that Detroit is decent.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

intimid8r wrote:The deal will get done in the next legislative session. Once Ziggy starts talking to other suitors urgency to make a deal will ensue. It's an election year anyway.........none of the politicians wants to stick their neck out.
This. You don't want to be the guy that's responsible for the Vikings leaving Minneapolis, you would be dead in a matter of days.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

ParaDime77 wrote:
intimid8r wrote:The deal will get done in the next legislative session. Once Ziggy starts talking to other suitors urgency to make a deal will ensue. It's an election year anyway.........none of the politicians wants to stick their neck out.
This. You don't want to be the guy that's responsible for the Vikings leaving Minneapolis, you would be dead in a matter of days.
:lol: :lol:
intimid8r
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by intimid8r »

Or good old Roger will scare the shit out them........
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

I don't really give a shit about the Vikings. They have very few memorable players throughout their long, unsuccessful existence, their uniforms are stupid, and their stadium has always been a dump.

Still, I wouldn't wish losing an NFL team on my worst enemy, so I feel for you, Vikings fans of Sludge. Hopefully something will be worked out.

Everyone knows Jacksonville should be the one to move, anyway.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

They have very few memorable players throughout their long
Ignorance knows no boundaries. A few? lol. In the last 5 years alone, 4 Vikings have entered the Hall of Fame. Not to mention the have had 2 of the greatest d-lines in NFL history, the all time ints leader, and Fran Tarkenton is near the top in all the major passing stats despite the fact he never played after the 70s.

And except for winning the ultimate prize, they have been quite successful. Let's not pretend they're the Cardinal or Lions. They've won that division more times than the Bears or Packers or Lions since 1960. When is the last time your team won a playoff game again? Ignorance.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:
They have very few memorable players throughout their long
Ignorance knows no boundaries. A few? lol. In the last 5 years alone, 4 Vikings have entered the Hall of Fame. Not to mention the have had 2 of the greatest d-lines in NFL history, the all time ints leader, and Fran Tarkenton is near the top in all the major passing stats despite the fact he never played after the 70s.

And except for winning the ultimate prize, they have been quite successful. Let's not pretend they're the Cardinal or Lions. They've won that division more times than the Bears or Packers or Lions since 1960. When is the last time your team won a playoff game again? Ignorance.
This is what an ACTUAL history of NFL success looks like dude.

The Vikings haven't won shit in their long, sad existence. No point in arguing really...if you can ell me you wouldn't trade That's Incredible Fran and the Purple People Eaters for just ONE Lombardi trophy...and do it with a straight face...I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.

And the 1987 NFC Champion Redskins say hi...I think you may remember that one :lol:

In fact I think the Skins are 2-0 against the Purple People Eaters in the playoffs...
Last edited by Crazy Levi on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

No, that's what NFL history looks like. You might as well have John Facenda narrating some grainy footage of those trophies, dude.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:No, that's what NFL history looks like. You might as well have John Facenda narrating some grainy footage of those trophies, dude.
Come on dude, this is beneath you.

There's teams that have won Super Bowls. And there are teams that haven't. It's as simple as that.

You can go on about "recent success" all you want, but in the end, Vikings fans and Eagles fans STILL have never tasted REAL NFL success in the modern era, and that's where their deep seated insecurity and misery will always come from.

But hey, I think you guys are missing the point anyway. I feel for VIkings fans and don't want them to lose their team. Most of them live in Minnesota...holy fuck...can you imagine living there and not even having an NFL team? Fucking brutal.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Yes, but at the same point you make them look like the Lions and Cardinals. That's simply not true. Teams that are unsuccessful don't win 18 division titles in 50 seasons, jackass.

And your "they have a few memorable players in their history" was just as ignorant. You don't know shit about their history or their players.

That hall of fame stat I posted doesn't even include Cris Carter who has been shafted every fucking year.

Now tell me more about Earl Campbell.

Did you know that the Vikes have actually have had 2 other d-lines almost just as good at the Purple People Eaters? Of course you dont?
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

I'm not arguing that either team has been to the promised land and it fucking sucks. All I'm saying is that the Vikings have been a storied franchise in their own right and to downplay that because they don't have a trophy is beneath what being a real fan of football is all about. You're getting into Pee13 territory with that line of thinking and I KNOW you're smarter than that.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

And did anybody notice how the Vikes went from "unsuccessful" to "haven't tasted real success."

You're right the second time, after the back pedal.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:I'm not arguing that either team has been to the promised land and it fucking sucks. All I'm saying is that the Vikings have been a storied franchise in their own right and to downplay that because they don't have a trophy is beneath what being a real fan of football is all about. You're getting into Pee13 territory with that line of thinking and I KNOW you're smarter than that.

Yep. But that just gives him a cahnce to talk about the Skin's past, which is well, all they have.

Not to mention he's a bleeding heart, and they have the most racist name and logo in the histopry of mankind.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote: Did you know that the Vikes have actually have had 2 other d-lines almost just as good at the Purple People Eaters? Of course you dont?
Why would I?

The Vikes haven't played in a Super Bowl in my life time, and they play in a pretty small market.

Sorry man, I just kind of missed out on the fabulous successes of the Vikings' storied franchise whilst I was watching other teams play in Super Bowls.

And yes, I'm completely P13 trolling you. Sorry about that.

One more time - I hope you don't lose your team. Really. Seriously.

I just don't give a shit about the VIkes. If they ever make a Super Bowl again I'll seriously pay attention.

And who said I'm "bleeding heart?" There you go, going "political" again. I can't stand people like you who make everything political.

For the record, yes the Skins name is horribly racist, but hey, tough shit. The injuns can't do anything about it, and we are keeping our awesome name and logo.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Well, at least you gave up on the whole "unsuccessful" thing.

You only watch the super bowl? :lol: :lol:
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote: All I'm saying is that the Vikings have been a storied franchise in their own right and to downplay that because they don't have a trophy is beneath what being a real fan of football is all about.

Dude, really? STORIED?

I mean...at some point winning a fucking championship HAS to mean something. Yes, the Vikes are "storied" in that they've had millions of fans over the last 45 years or what have you, and all those people have stories about the great players they've had or great victories they've had.

But beyond that, "storied" is a stretch. Most people know them as the Buffalo Bills of the 1970s, or as the last stop for the Bret Favre sideshow frankly, and that ain't really the best "story" to have.

I apologize for calling them "unsuccessful," as yes, they have had some success. You guys win that point. But if you are gonna call them a "storied franchise" - I mean, which team ISN'T by that standard?
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:Well, at least you gave up on the whole "unsuccessful" thing.

You only watch the super bowl? :lol: :lol:
No. I watch all football, all the time, whenever I have a chance. And the Vikes simply haven't made much of an impression on me over the 25 years I've been watching football religiously. They've never had sustained periods of success, and they've suffered an awful lot of losses in big games. And yes, they've never been to a Super Bowl.

Funny thing is, I saw like 4 Vikings games recently. I was at the NFC championship loss to the Saints, the first game of the next season (again in new orleans). A vikes loss to the Jets on monday night, and a Vikes win against the Skins the same season.

I'm viked out. That must be why I'm lashing out.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Meat hasn't watched his own team since Mark Rypien was the qb.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:Meat hasn't watched his own team since Mark Rypien was the qb.
So the question remains - who will you root for when the Vikes leave their crumbling shithole for the West Coast?

Are you gonna do like FUBAR, and continue to root for the Vikes in their new home? He's the world's only Baltimore AND Indy Colts fan.

It would seriously, seriously suck to lose one's NFL team. I don't know what the fuck I'd do. I'd probably stop watching frankly. It would be ridiculous to "pick" a new team.

Edit: - oh wait - you already answered that earlier in the thread.

So my next question is for SUBAC - since I've graciously backed off of "unsuccessful" will you do me the favor of backing off of "storied?"

Again, if the Vikes qualify as a "storied franchise," I'd like to know which ones don't.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Crazy Levi wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Meat hasn't watched his own team since Mark Rypien was the qb.
So the question remains - who will you root for when the Vikes leave their crumbling shithole for the West Coast?
If you read the thread and weren't just trolling you would know I'm not from Minny and already asnwered that question.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
If you read the thread and weren't just trolling you would know I'm not from Minny and already asnwered that question.
But I AM trolling, that's the whole point. Is it still trolling when I admit it? Also, I edited to address that above. Apologies.

But it isn't really trolling. I was just stating an opinion.

1) I don't really give a shit about the Vikes.

2) I feel bad for their fans and hope they don't move. It really should the Jags, nobody down there gives a shit about them and Florida has like 5 teams anyway.

I guess calling the Vikes "unsuccessful" was out of line but I can understand why it touched a nerve. I'm sure you've been hearing the same shit from Bears and Packers fans (IE - we have Lombardis and you don't) for years. I'd be tired of it too.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The bear and packers fans make fun of us choking, which is true. They would never be as ignorant as you though.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:The bear and packers fans make fun of us choking, which is true. They would never be as ignorant as you though.
Of course they aren't. They watch the Vikings play a minimum of twice a year, every year, and probably more often. I always watch division games when I can.