The Never Ending MMA thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Re: The Never Ending MMA thread

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

That was a bad way to go out. No matter how much you may dislike a person, you never wish that kind of thing to happen to them. I am waiting for all the anti MMA people to start using that as why it is so much worse than other sports. There have been worse injuries in baseball, with people having bones busting through skin while running over first base bag. The same injury just happened last year in college basketball. Joe Theisman anyone?
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
slash4pres
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by slash4pres »

Weidman ABSOLUTELY deserves credit for that win. Not only did he take him down and punish him with ground and pound like expected, he dropped him in the clinch, which is usually where Silva shines. Not only that, the only real offense Silva got on him in the last fight were a few really good leg kicks, and he wins by checking a leg kick.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

John Simon Ritchie wrote: I think Belfort hands him his ass though.
BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BodyBagz »

Nice night of bouts...of the top of my head, heres my thoughts...

Dustin Poirier - great fight, been watching this kid since I saw a documentary on Netflix and he was one of the principles they followed...

Jim Miller - expected him to win..still a good fighter...hard to believe he pulled off that arm bar..

Travis Browne vs Josh Barnett - Barnett didnt really look like he was ever in this fight. Those elbows from Browne were sick...Barnett may be done for a while

Chris Leben vs Uriah Hall - Man, what a dosappointment for Leben and his fans...he fucking quit! I am a big Leben fan, have been since TUF, and this dude has never quit in a fight..hell, he has a jaw made of granite...and to do so against Uriah Hall? Hall ran, staying away from that crushing left and just picked Chris apart...this is likely Lebens last venture in the UFC...

Rousey vs Tate - Well, it ended as I and most everyone else knew it would, with Tate submitting to an arm bar. Granted, Tate held out until the 3rd round, but facts are facts, she doesnt have what it takes to beat Rousey because she wants to fight Rouseys fight...on the ground, and she just doesnt have the skill set. Had Tate been able to keep the fight upright, she may have lasted longer, but the outsome would have still been the same. Tate will have to just live with being the fans favorite..without a belt...

Weidman vs Silva - Say what you will, Weidman is the Champ still, and likely just finished the career of arguably the greatest MMA fighter to date! Some feel like Weidman was "lucky" in the first fight, myself included, but the simple fact is, Silva got caught doing his "shimmy shake and shuck" antics, resulting in a KO and him losing his belt.

This fight was different...Weidman was pressing Silva from the bell onward...he took Sikva down and pounded him...he locked up standing and pounded Silva (at one point knocking him partially out)...and then Weidman did what was suggested after the 1st fight..he checked the leg kicks from Silva, and Silva broke a leg...thats no fault of Weidman and should not take anything away from his win.

Now, we have to look forward and see if Weidman can stand the tests ahead of him...Vitor Belfort is a beast, a far different animal than Silva. This will tell whether Weidman is just lucky, or if he truly does have what it takes to be the champion...and I cant wait... 8)
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
slash4pres
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by slash4pres »

I agree completely. Weidman is basically the Jones of the middleweight division. and It's ironic that they got tehir belts from dethroning two of my favorite fighters. Like Bodybagz said, Weidman's real test is Vitor, but there's also Jacare, Mousasi, and Machida around the corner.
milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

Can someone please tell me Rousy's reason for not shaking Tate's hand afterwards? I missed it.

Thanks in advance!
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:Can someone please tell me Rousy's reason for not shaking Tate's hand afterwards? I missed it.

Thanks in advance!
Rousey said that Tate had personally disrespected her family, ie, her team and coaches, at some point during the build-up to the fight.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

BodyBagz wrote:
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:Can someone please tell me Rousy's reason for not shaking Tate's hand afterwards? I missed it.

Thanks in advance!
Rousey said that Tate had personally disrespected her family, ie, her team and coaches, at some point during the build-up to the fight.
Who, also did more than their fair share of shit talking, etc. :lol:
Weak fucking bullshit excuse for being a poor sport.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Got back from Vegas & the fight-
If you have never seen a fight live (this was my first) & there is one near where you live, you should go. It's a completely different experience than watching on tv. Do I like it more live than tv, hmmm yes & no.

I had a great seat. I was 3 rows back from when the fighters came from the tunnel. Almost when they make that left turn to be checked out by judge or whoever checks their mouthpiece, cup, etc etc.

The Silva break- when it happened the audience was in shock. Seriously, the place became dead silent. It wasn't until they showed the replay when the crowd got the extent of what happened. For the fight to end like that & more than likely Silva's career was really sad.
I watched the replay when I got home. What you didn't hear on tv but what you heard live was the break. It sounded like a tree branch or piece of wood snapping. People were stunned.
Another thing that was weird was watching Silva come out as the challenger. He's had so many fights as the champ, it seemed odd.

Rousey/Tate fight- The place was crazy for that fight. The electricity was amazing. Rousey is well hated. The crowd was booing her so loudly during her after fight talk with Rogan that you couldn't hear a single word she said.

I would say the major difference b/t live & tv is on tv you are close to the action & you can see the technique of what the fighters are doing. For example the Jim Miller submission. Really couldn't tell what he was doing unless you were watching the big screen. When you are there live, it's more of the violence of the knock outs & power punches that have an impact. I hope that makes sense.

Vitor Belfort was prancing around the place like a peacock.
He was at the weigh in as well.

Speaking of the weigh in- that was even crazier.
I went over to the Garden Arena to see where the fight was taking place & it just so happened that people were standing around waiting to be let in for the weigh in.
The cool thing was & I didn't realize that they were letting the people who were fight club members in an hour before the general public was allowed in. I remember when I bought the ticket I purchased a membership.
All I had to show to get in was the email confirmation I received.

Michael Buffer was onstage talking to the crowd. I never thought much of the guy, but actually he's a guy that doesn't take himself too serious & very very friendly to the fans.

The weigh in for Tate/Rousey was crazy. The audience was going nuts.
The one thing I got to say about the UFC is they treat their fans very good. And if you had a question & asked a ufc person (always wearing the pass around neck) they were always very kind & answered the question.

Like I said before- if you have never gone to a fight, you should go.
I just wished the Silva fight would've ended differently. It kind of put a damper on the entire night.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Indy_Rob wrote:
caroline wrote:I've never liked Silva, in fact I can't stand him, but that's not how you want anyone to lose. That was tough to watch. yeahbuddy picked a hell of a fight to see live.
Pretty much this. I don't like Silva at all but I won't take anything away from him as far as his abilities. I wanted him to lose but hated to see it happen like that. Fuck. Bad way to end a career. I genuinely feel bad for him.

I think my GF watched her last UFC for a while after seeing that. She had a hard time handling that one. :lol:
Wanted to mention-
I was sitting next to a couple (in their 20s) & the girl was next to me. She was a fight fan because we talked about other fighters & fights so wasn't just a gf seeing a fight because bf wanted to see it. Her comment when they showed the replay on big screen when the "break" happened was
"I think I'm going to throw up". She didn't, but was funny to remember with your comment about your gf.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

yeahbuddy wrote:
Indy_Rob wrote:
caroline wrote:I've never liked Silva, in fact I can't stand him, but that's not how you want anyone to lose. That was tough to watch. yeahbuddy picked a hell of a fight to see live.
Pretty much this. I don't like Silva at all but I won't take anything away from him as far as his abilities. I wanted him to lose but hated to see it happen like that. Fuck. Bad way to end a career. I genuinely feel bad for him.

I think my GF watched her last UFC for a while after seeing that. She had a hard time handling that one. :lol:
Wanted to mention-
I was sitting next to a couple (in their 20s) & the girl was next to me. She was a fight fan because we talked about other fighters & fights so wasn't just a gf seeing a fight because bf wanted to see it. Her comment when they showed the replay on big screen when the "break" happened was
"I think I'm going to throw up". She didn't, but was funny to remember with your comment about your gf.
:lol: :lol: Good stuff!

My girlfriend put her head down and just focused on her iPhone on her lap until it was all over. She couldn't hang. I even turned away the 2nd time they showed the replay. IIRC, they showed the replay twice and I couldn't watch the 2nd one. :lol:
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

:lol: :lol: Good stuff!
My girlfriend put her head down and just focused on her iPhone on her lap until it was all over. She couldn't hang. I even turned away the 2nd time they showed the replay. IIRC, they showed the replay twice and I couldn't watch the 2nd one. :lol:
When they showed replay I jumped up & down & turned away from screen.

As mentioned before- when it happened nobody knew what happened until they showed the replay. We all knew he got hurt, but not like that.

And what Browne did to Barnett was impressive.
Barnett was out!
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

yeahbuddy wrote: What you didn't hear on tv but what you heard live was the break. It sounded like a tree branch or piece of wood snapping. People were stunned.
I meant to comment on this earlier. I was watching the event in a crowded, loud Buffalo Wild Wings and you actually **could** hear the snap. Surprisingly loudly. Just like you described it: a branch snapping. It was like, *CRACK!!!*. I really couldn't tell what happened until they showed the replay but the sound was actually quite loud. :shock: :shock:
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Indy_Rob wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote: What you didn't hear on tv but what you heard live was the break. It sounded like a tree branch or piece of wood snapping. People were stunned.
I meant to comment on this earlier. I was watching the event in a crowded, loud Buffalo Wild Wings and you actually **could** hear the snap. Surprisingly loudly. Just like you described it: a branch snapping. It was like, *CRACK!!!*. I really couldn't tell what happened until they showed the replay but the sound was actually quite loud. :shock: :shock:
The one thing I noticed being at a fight live is it is relatively quiet when there isn't any major action going on. So when the fighters are feeling each other out or one has the other pinned against the cage, its quiet. I'm so used to hearing Joe Rogan or Goldberg's voice going on during the action. When it is quiet some meat head in crowd has to say something stupid.
So when Silva was throwing his kicks nothing major, but it happened so quick- kick/snap/him falling back letting out a scream.
It might have been the combination of the actual hit & snap that made it so loud, but it was loud. Its a sound I'll never forget.

Hey,
did you see the tweet Cyborg sent out after the fight?
"Ronda I'm coming to get you"
https://twitter.com/criscyborg/status/4 ... 25/photo/1
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

yeahbuddy wrote:
Indy_Rob wrote:
The one thing I noticed being at a fight live is it is relatively quiet when there isn't any major action going on. So when the fighters are feeling each other out or one has the other pinned against the cage, its quiet. I'm so used to hearing Joe Rogan or Goldberg's voice going on during the action. When it is quiet some meat head in crowd has to say something stupid.
So when Silva was throwing his kicks nothing major, but it happened so quick- kick/snap/him falling back letting out a scream.
It might have been the combination of the actual hit & snap that made it so loud, but it was loud. Its a sound I'll never forget.

Hey,
did you see the tweet Cyborg sent out after the fight?
"Ronda I'm coming to get you"
https://twitter.com/criscyborg/status/4 ... 25/photo/1
I hadn't seen that. Embarrassingly, I wasn't aware of who Cyborg was until the recent posts about her in this thread. But, I can't wait until someone comes along and can finally beat Rousey.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

I hadn't seen that. Embarrassingly, I wasn't aware of who Cyborg was until the recent posts about her in this thread. But, I can't wait until someone comes along and can finally beat Rousey.
Youtube her fights. The others here I'm sure have opinions on her.
The girl is a beast. She did get busted for steroids, but still tough
as nails.

Anybody do the UFC pass thingy? Its free for 2 months & $9.99 a month.
I went ahead & did it. Tons of fights & other cool stuff on the site.
John Simon Ritchie

Has Rousey ever responded to Cyborg's taunts and calling her out? I mean, she replies/talks shit and stands up to everyone else without hesitation.
Can't wait to see that match-up. :wink:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Cyber Spirit
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Cyber Spirit »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:Has Rousey ever responded to Cyborg's taunts and calling her out? I mean, she replies/talks shit and stands up to everyone else without hesitation.

Isn't there a weight difference between the two?.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Cyber Spirit wrote:
John Simon Ritchie wrote:Has Rousey ever responded to Cyborg's taunts and calling her out? I mean, she replies/talks shit and stands up to everyone else without hesitation.

Yes,
if not mistaken its like 15 pds. Ronda would have to come up or Cyborg would have to come down. Or more realistically they would meet at a catch weight.

Ronda has not trash talked her that much except that she (Ronda) is the champ so if Cyborg wants to fight me (Ronda) Cyborg has to come down to her.

Another obstacle is Cyborg is managed by Tito Ortiz, and Dana can barely stomach Ortiz. But money talks, if fighters agree to a common weight, it will get done. Now that would be a crazy fight!!
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

yeahbuddy wrote:
Cyber Spirit wrote:

Yes,
if not mistaken its like 15 pds. Ronda would have to come up or Cyborg would have to come down. Or more realistically they would meet at a catch weight.

Ronda has not trash talked her that much except that she (Ronda) is the champ so if Cyborg wants to fight me (Ronda) Cyborg has to come down to her.

Another obstacle is Cyborg is managed by Tito Ortiz, and Dana can barely stomach Ortiz. But money talks, if fighters agree to a common weight, it will get done. Now that would be a crazy fight!!
Its actually only 10lbs...Rousey fights at 135 whereas Cyborg fights at 145. Cyborg maintains that she can not lose down to 135 and be healthy...she has to cut hard to get down to 145. Her "steroid issue" (Stanozolol)was actually for weight reduction...not muscle gain...lending a little credence to her claims about not being able to cut that much weight.

Dana and Rousey both know that if a catch-weight fight were to happen, Cyborg would likely crush Rousey in under 3 rounds...Cyborg is just plain freaky good all around...
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Cyborg is just plain freaky good all around
The one thing Cyborg is excellent at is staying in the pocket when
her & other fighter are trading blows.
The majority of the women fights I have seen when the two women
are exchanging blows they have their head back trying not to get hit
in the face. Its a natural reaction I suppose. Cyborg doesn't do that.
She stands right there and bombs away.
caroline
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by caroline »

Even if they each got to some catch weight for the weigh-ins, by the time of the fight the weight difference would be so extreme that it would be like going back in time to UFC 1.
John Simon Ritchie

:wink:

yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Cruz out of 169, stripped of title.
Faber in. Good, he's been on a tear & deserves it.
Hard to believe its been over two years since Cruz has fought.
slash4pres
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by slash4pres »

So Cruz re re re injured himself? Damn.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

slash4pres wrote:So Cruz re re re injured himself? Damn.
actually new injury.
Tore his groin.
Ouch!!
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Didn't think Rockhold had that in him.
That was niiiiice!
After Belfort loses to Weidman, I would like
to see rematch b/w Rockhold & Belfort. Although
this time on american soil.
Poor Charlie Brenenman the Spaniard. The guy can
never get a break.
slash4pres
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by slash4pres »

Varner Decision
Lineker KO
Overeem KO
Aldo KO
Barao decision
John Simon Ritchie

TUF: Aussies Suck At MMA.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Did Henderson really win?
I think not.