The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

stevo
Headlining Clubs

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by stevo »

WOLF wrote:PK Subban signs his long term deal with the Habs. 8 years/9 million per. Some are calling it overpayment; I think its genius. The Habs just bought 6 years of PK's unrestricted free agency status. Yeah, he's overpaid now, but with a cap that escalates yearly, he may be a 11-12 million dollar player in years 6-8 of the contract; not to mention we got 2 great years from him, at 2.75 mill. the last two years.

Works for me. He and Carey Price are the faces of the franchise now.

once he plays a complete game I may agree with you. He is soft on the body, avoids physical contact when going for the puck and is a tough guy ONLY with smaller players. Doesn't really play with heart…the talent is there for sure but he isn't someone anyone roots for because he embodies heart and guts for his club. Plus all the off ice pics of him looking like "FLYGUY" from I'm gonna get you sucka make him look like an asshole.

If you put Shea Weber on a decent team he would win the Norris consistently. That is a complete defenseman
HMZ said:
KISS Sonic Boom. Even Van Halen III is better than A Different Kind of Truth. :lol:
stevo
Headlining Clubs

Post by stevo »

HMZ said:
KISS Sonic Boom. Even Van Halen III is better than A Different Kind of Truth. :lol:
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

Earl Skakel wrote:I still don't k now how Lombardi hasn't won GM Of The Year in any of the last 3 years. Is he still being painted as a guy who's team(Sharks)had great regular seasons but couldn't finish? I mean the Kings really don't have any bad contracts outside of maybe Richards but with how he plays in the playoffs I can live with it. Where it gets interesting is next off season when guys like Williams and I think Toffoli and Pearson will need new deals. Pretty impressive that and although I regret it the only guy we lost this off season is Willie Mitchell.

Earl
AMEN
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Earl Skakel wrote:I still don't k now how Lombardi hasn't won GM Of The Year in any of the last 3 years. Is he still being painted as a guy who's team(Sharks)had great regular seasons but couldn't finish? I mean the Kings really don't have any bad contracts outside of maybe Richards but with how he plays in the playoffs I can live with it. Where it gets interesting is next off season when guys like Williams and I think Toffoli and Pearson will need new deals. Pretty impressive that and although I regret it the only guy we lost this off season is Willie Mitchell.

Earl
Does Willie Mitchell have two good years left?

The Subban contract is ridiculous.

But my team paid $5.5m per year for Bolland so can't really say much!

And yeah Lombardi should have won a GM of the year award at least once.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

alecjonsludge wrote:
wolf wrote:People thought the Doughty deal was nuts, a couple of years ago, now its considered great.

Only difference, PK won't be lifting this twice in the next 3 years-Not counting "Just For Laughs" appearances with Seth Rogen.
:lol:

Doughty is 5x the Dman Subban is.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

What you guys don't get is that the market changes, and will continue to change, yearly. You can't compare a contract signed 2 years ago, this year, 2 years from now, and in 5 years. It's not how much the guy makes, but what % of the team's budget/cap the player is when the contract is signed.

7 million on a 50 million cap, and 14 million on a 100 million cap is the same thing. It's not necessarily that the 14 million $ guy is better than the 7 million $ guy - it's just timing.

The Habs bought 6 years of the guys UFA status. In 6 years 12 million dollar star d-men might be the norm. With each passing year guys will surpass Subban's salary.

And again, the last two years the guy was grossly underpaid for what he contributed. Instead of signing him to a 2 year bridge deal, the Habs could have done 5 years/25 million and in hindsight maybe they should have.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:What you guys don't get is that the market changes, and will continue to change, yearly. You can't compare a contract signed 2 years ago, this year, 2 years from now, and in 5 years. It's not how much the guy makes, but what % of the team's budget/cap the player is when the contract is signed.

7 million on a 50 million cap, and 14 million on a 100 million cap is the same thing. It's not necessarily that the 14 million $ guy is better than the 7 million $ guy - it's just timing.

The Habs bought 6 years of the guys UFA status. In 6 years 12 million dollar star d-men might be the norm. With each passing year guys will surpass Subban's salary.

And again, the last two years the guy was grossly underpaid for what he contributed. Instead of signing him to a 2 year bridge deal, the Habs could have done 5 years/25 million and in hindsight maybe they should have.
No, I do get it, and I'm pretty sure everyone else does.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:What you guys don't get is that the market changes, and will continue to change, yearly. You can't compare a contract signed 2 years ago, this year, 2 years from now, and in 5 years. It's not how much the guy makes, but what % of the team's budget/cap the player is when the contract is signed.

the market changes for the bad too. it went down last season. so overpaying a marginal defenseman means maybe not being able to sign plekanec or parenteau next year.
subban wasn't grossly underpaid. he signed a contract to prove himself. and again, he did in some ways and grossly failed in others.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

/\

For better or worse he won that Norris (I agree he should not have), and was deemed one of Canada's top 8 D-men for the Olympics. He also proved he can single handedly take over a playoff series (against Boston no less). He's far better than a "marginal d-man". Had he gone to free agency next year he would have got the same money - only some place else - say Toronto.

PS - I also agree comparables work negatively. If Phaneuf is a 7 million guy, PK is a 9 million guy. However, why is the Norris winner making 4.5?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Herb Brooks would have been 77 years old today.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

WOLF wrote:/\

and was deemed one of Canada's top 8 D-men for the Olympics.

PS - I also agree comparables work negatively. If Phaneuf is a 7 million guy, PK is a 9 million guy. However, why is the Norris winner making 4.5?
Yeah, he made the Canadian team, but he didn't even play! And the Norris trophy is bullshit, when these guys are winning the 'best defenseman' award based on the number of goals they've scored, then something is wrong with the system.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

nnnnopoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!@hdh4er73478348734

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/is ... -1.8971297
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:nnnnopoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!@hdh4er73478348734

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/is ... -1.8971297
fuuuuuck. sorry to hear than man. that would have been a huge turning point.
Wolf wrote:.....and was deemed one of Canada's top 8 D-men for the Olympics. Had he gone to free agency next year he would have got the same money - only some place else - say Toronto.

he was #8. behind dan hamius. who was #9? bieksa?
that just shows you:
1) canada has no real depth after the top 6.
2) team canada only took him because he had won the norris.

phaneuf is another over rated and over paid douche. subban is a better player but has a long way to go before he deserves to me making the money they gave him. he reminds me of special ed jovonovski. all the tools but the toolbox needs to be organized.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Subban is a star player and game changer. 30pts in 43 playoff games. I figured $8 million or so, but nothing shocking about the deal with his age. His overall game is still improving as well. Screw Phaneuf.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

kid wicked wrote
fuuuuuck. sorry to hear than man. that would have been a huge turning point.
You have no idea how depressed this made me.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Sharks/Kings to play outdoors as part of the Stadium Series. The game will take place in the Niners' new stadium.

Part of me would have liked to see this take place at the Giants' home digs, but it might be best that it's outside of the city of San Francisco and more accessible to people who live in San Jose and regularly support the Sharks.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings are going to take their rivalry outdoors next season.

This will be the second straight year the NHL has staged an outdoor game in California. The Anaheim Ducks beat the Kings 3-0 at Dodger Stadium in front of an announced crowd of 54,099 on Jan. 25.

Sharks Chief Operating Officer John Tortora expects the game at Levi's Stadium to attract a capacity crowd of 68,500 for a scintillating spectacle of ice in Silicon Valley.

''We think this will be one of the bigger sporting events the Bay Area has ever seen,'' Tortora said.

The NHL's first outdoor game in Northern California features a fierce matchup.

In the latest and perhaps most dramatic chapter of the playoff history between these franchises, the Kings eliminated the Sharks in the first round last season to become the league's fourth team to win a best-of-seven series after losing the first three games. Los Angeles went on to win its second Stanley Cup in three years.

''The growing excitement around NHL hockey in California, the intensity of last season's playoff series between these teams and the state-of-the-art setting at Levi's Stadium will bring a thrilling new dimension to the Kings-Sharks rivalry,'' NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.

The NHL has been taking its game to iconic outdoor venues more and more over the last decade.

The new Yankee Stadium, Boston's Fenway Park, Chicago's Wrigley Field and Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor are just a few of the notable names to host hockey in recent years. The league previously announced that the Washington Capitals would host the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2015 Winter Classic on Jan. 1 at a site to be determined.

The Sharks will be the 14th team since 2003 to host an outdoor game. The league has averaged 56,942 fans at each of those contests.

Tortora said the Sharks began serious bidding for an outdoor game last summer. He said the league held off until they saw how the Kings-Ducks game at Dodger Stadium played out.

The temperature for that contest in Los Angeles was 63 degrees, but concerns about ice conditions turned out to be unfounded. Tortora said the success of that game paved the way for another one in a more temperate climate.

The weather in Santa Clara is typically warmer and drier than in the more scenic San Francisco, which is about 45 miles north, but Tortora said it was more of a competition between venues than cities.

While the Giants' waterfront ballpark offered dramatic backdrops of the Bay Bridge and San Francisco skyline for television viewers, Tortora said the league chose the 49ers' digs because football stadiums typically offer better sightlines, more flexibility on the rink's configuration and the ability to host a larger crowd.

AT&T Park holds about 42,000 fans. Tortora said the larger Levi's Stadium will help lower the average price of a ticket, which he said will cost $150. He said 44 percent of the tickets will be priced below that.

''I don't think a sellout will be a major concern,'' he said.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:Sharks/Kings to play outdoors as part of the Stadium Series. The game will take place in the Niners' new stadium.

Part of me would have liked to see this take place at the Giants' home digs, but it might be best that it's outside of the city of San Francisco and more accessible to people who live in San Jose and regularly support the Sharks.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings are going to take their rivalry outdoors next season.

This will be the second straight year the NHL has staged an outdoor game in California. The Anaheim Ducks beat the Kings 3-0 at Dodger Stadium in front of an announced crowd of 54,099 on Jan. 25.

Sharks Chief Operating Officer John Tortora expects the game at Levi's Stadium to attract a capacity crowd of 68,500 for a scintillating spectacle of ice in Silicon Valley.

''We think this will be one of the bigger sporting events the Bay Area has ever seen,'' Tortora said.

The NHL's first outdoor game in Northern California features a fierce matchup.

In the latest and perhaps most dramatic chapter of the playoff history between these franchises, the Kings eliminated the Sharks in the first round last season to become the league's fourth team to win a best-of-seven series after losing the first three games. Los Angeles went on to win its second Stanley Cup in three years.

''The growing excitement around NHL hockey in California, the intensity of last season's playoff series between these teams and the state-of-the-art setting at Levi's Stadium will bring a thrilling new dimension to the Kings-Sharks rivalry,'' NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.

The NHL has been taking its game to iconic outdoor venues more and more over the last decade.

The new Yankee Stadium, Boston's Fenway Park, Chicago's Wrigley Field and Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor are just a few of the notable names to host hockey in recent years. The league previously announced that the Washington Capitals would host the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2015 Winter Classic on Jan. 1 at a site to be determined.

The Sharks will be the 14th team since 2003 to host an outdoor game. The league has averaged 56,942 fans at each of those contests.

Tortora said the Sharks began serious bidding for an outdoor game last summer. He said the league held off until they saw how the Kings-Ducks game at Dodger Stadium played out.

The temperature for that contest in Los Angeles was 63 degrees, but concerns about ice conditions turned out to be unfounded. Tortora said the success of that game paved the way for another one in a more temperate climate.

The weather in Santa Clara is typically warmer and drier than in the more scenic San Francisco, which is about 45 miles north, but Tortora said it was more of a competition between venues than cities.

While the Giants' waterfront ballpark offered dramatic backdrops of the Bay Bridge and San Francisco skyline for television viewers, Tortora said the league chose the 49ers' digs because football stadiums typically offer better sightlines, more flexibility on the rink's configuration and the ability to host a larger crowd.

AT&T Park holds about 42,000 fans. Tortora said the larger Levi's Stadium will help lower the average price of a ticket, which he said will cost $150. He said 44 percent of the tickets will be priced below that.

''I don't think a sellout will be a major concern,'' he said.
Maybe the Bruins/Habs game at Gillette will be announced soon?
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

NeverSurrender, is this you ?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459001

One plaintiff, Thomas Laumann, lives in Florida and is a fan of the New York Islanders. Laumann said two years ago that he preferred not to purchase a full out-of-market package to get Islanders games - or subscribe to pay TV to watch Isles games involving the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, which are blacked out when he tries to watch them through NHL Gamecenter Live.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

The Hockey News' Annual yearbook just came out. Here's how they see things.

EAST
In the playoffs (top 3 in each division) - Boston, Tampa, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Columbus, NY Rangers
Contending for wildcard (4/5 in each division) - Florida, Detroit, Philly, Washington
Out of playoffs (6-8 in their divisions) - Toronto, Otttawa, Buffalo, NY Islanders, NJ, Carolina

WEST
In the playoffs (top 3 in each division) - St-Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Anaheim, LA, San Jose
Contending for wildcard (4/5 in each division) - Dallas, Colorado, Vancouver, Arizona
Out of playoffs (6-7 in their divisions) - Nashville, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary

They have Chicago over Tampa for the Cup.

Also, in their annual ranking of the NHL's top 50 players, they have PK Subban as the 13th best player in the league, and the 4th best D man, behind Doughty, Weber, and Keith. Just sayin'.... :D
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:The Hockey News' Annual yearbook just came out. Here's how they see things.
Also, in their annual ranking of the NHL's top 50 players, they have PK Subban as the 13th best player in the league, and the 4th best D man, behind Doughty, Weber, and Keith. Just sayin'.... :D
is that rag out of toronto or montreal? i know they used to have a ton of writers from montreal
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Jarome who? Lucic/Krecji/Pastrnak. Time to oder the shirt.

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

alecjonsludge wrote:NeverSurrender, is this you ?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459001

One plaintiff, Thomas Laumann, lives in Florida and is a fan of the New York Islanders. Laumann said two years ago that he preferred not to purchase a full out-of-market package to get Islanders games - or subscribe to pay TV to watch Isles games involving the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, which are blacked out when he tries to watch them through NHL Gamecenter Live.

No, I live in NW Florida, 7 hours from Tampa and about ten hours from Sunrise, and neither of these team's games are blacked out for me. I actually live closer to NOLA and Atlanta than the bigger cities in Florida. I have however swore to never give Chuck Wang another cent of my money.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:The Hockey News' Annual yearbook just came out. Here's how they see things.

EAST
In the playoffs (top 3 in each division) - Boston, Tampa, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Columbus, NY Rangers
Contending for wildcard (4/5 in each division) - Florida, Detroit, Philly, Washington
Out of playoffs (6-8 in their divisions) - Toronto, Otttawa, Buffalo, NY Islanders, NJ, Carolina

WEST
In the playoffs (top 3 in each division) - St-Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Anaheim, LA, San Jose
Contending for wildcard (4/5 in each division) - Dallas, Colorado, Vancouver, Arizona
Out of playoffs (6-7 in their divisions) - Nashville, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary

They have Chicago over Tampa for the Cup.

Well do they have Florida contending for a wildcard place so I can live with that!

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

A KHL team has offered Bruins D Torey Krug a lucrative contract.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Former Isles coach Al Arbour is battling dementia. They said he doesn't remember much past the the Isles cup years. Sad.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:Former Isles coach Al Arbour is battling dementia. They said he doesn't remember much past the the Isles cup years. Sad.
Maybe just as well!

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

congrats. it's aboot time
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Wang is still majority owner for 2 years, so Garth can see the "rebuild" through... it's never easy being an Isles fan...