Any Love For The College Game?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Any Love For The College Game?

Post by BodyBagz »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
BodyBagz wrote: And, the best thing about College Football is that on any given Saturday, ANY team can, and will get beat...
You could say the same thing about the NFL Sundays.
Of course you can...as with all sports. But, and heres the rub for me...take last Saturday for example:

Baylor, at the time, was stacking wins and playing awesome football again with a 6 win record and an average score of 52 - 20...kinda reminiscent of the RGIII era of the school. They are getting good heat and ranked high, and then come into a game against West Virginia, a team that was 4 & 2 and hardly ever gets any good heat under them...and look what happened! WVU came in and just whacked the shit right out of the Bears...No One saw that coming...say you did and we know you are either lying or you graduated from WVU... :lol:

Pro Sports in my mind, these type of surprise/out of nowhere wins dont really happen all that often...but that may be just me since I dont watch the NFL anymore... :?:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

I get that, but the level of competition in the NFL is much higher. NFL teams don't get to schedule cupcake teams for homecoming, so they can hang 70 on them. That's why NFL games rarely have double digit point spreads.

Still, everyone likes what they like. I've been to a few SEC games, and the gameday experience is much better than the NFL. If the first football game I ever attended was at Death Valley or Williams-Brice, I might feel differently. Unfortunately, it was the Jets at Shea Stadium. :lol:
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:I get that, but the level of competition in the NFL is much higher.
But while the talent level is higher, the overall talent is even between teams. What I mean is, if you pit say the Cowboys against Ohio State, there would be an obvious difference. But when you match two evenly qualified college teams, the level of competition is equal to that of any NFL game.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

DaveB wrote: But when you match two evenly qualified college teams, the level of competition is equal to that of any NFL game.
Sure.

But not when Florida State is playing The Citadel. Or when Bama is playing Florida Atlantic.
Scandal2000
Headlining Clubs

Post by Scandal2000 »

The college game is okay, but I prefer the NFL by a long shot. There are way too many blowouts in college football and though their new college "playoff" on the surface seems better than the old way they did it, it is still subjective. Basically you watch your team play for the entire year and have a good season but if they aren't loved by the pollsters and/or selection committee, you have zero chance at winning the title.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

At least the current "playoff" is a start. Maybe in another forty years, they'll expand it to eight teams.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

Machado wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Great ballclub, with a ref in their back pocket..
Wrong :!:
The Notre Dame WR lowered his shoulder and drove the DB across the goaline. The WR never made an attempt to run a pass route.
That is offensive Pass Interference. Very easy call for the ref to make.

He got jammed off the line.

Go find one other time that shit has been called, now call it's called with 2 undefeated teams on primetime taking a td away from one team?

Yeah Go Refs!!
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Anyone else watching the Texas-K State game? Texas just cant get anything going at all...
Wonder what Texas` Regents are thinking about the hiring of Charlie Strong right now? Reckon Mack is laughing at his house? :?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Are you talking about the Mack Brown who didn't have one single player drafted in the NFL last year?

As an OU fan I wish he was still there but it really was time for a change.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

eddie lee roth wrote:Are you talking about the Mack Brown who didn't have one single player drafted in the NFL last year?

As an OU fan I wish he was still there but it really was time for a change.
Yep, that 1 and the same Mack Brown. Mack didnt have a great final year, but he was a hell of a coach during his time.

I dont think Charlie Strong was the right choice for Texas...but now they have him and are going to have to let him mold the team. They should be a very good team in another year or 2...
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Todays recap so far @ 10pm CST...just the AP TOp 10

#1 Mississippi State wins out against unranked Kentucky 45 - 31. Dak Prescott is tallying Heisman votes by the bushel.

#2 Florida State is off this week, but have no real competition left, so they should easily win out and win the ACC title.

#3 Ole Miss lost a very tough and defensive game to #24 LSU, 10 - 7. This loss will result in Ole Miss likely dropping to #5, behind both Alabama and Auburn who each won today. But, there is always the chance that the pollsters will just hold those rankings right where they are...this is afterall Ole Miss` first loss, so to drop them behind any other 1 loss team just doesnt feel right...

#4 Alabama had Tennessee beat in the 2nd half, then relaxed like the Tide of past seasons and allowed the Vols to turn some points in. In the end, the Tide got back in the game long enough to put the Vols down for the count, 34 - 20. Look for the Volunteers to be back in SEC contention next year with Dobbs under center...this kid is a true playmaker.

#5 Auburn had their hands full with the South Carolina Gamecocks...they battled point for point the entire game, finishing 42 - 35.

#6 Oregon did what was expected...they won, but it wasnt exactly a cakewalk against California, with a score of 50 - 41. Oregon will easily make the PAC 12 championship, and have an outside shot at the Playoff.

#7 Notre Dame has the week off.

#8 Michigan State laid a thumping on their instate rival Michigan, 35 - 11. The Spartans are also one of the teams on the outside looking in for the playoff later...

#9 Georgia had the week off...they are making plans for the SEC CHampionship...

#10 TCU...could this be the team nobody is paying attention to? They laid 82 points on Texas Tech! They have a hard row to hoe though...West Virginia and Kansas State still lie ahead.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

BodyBagz wrote:Todays recap so far @ 10pm CST...just the AP TOp 10

#1 Mississippi State wins out against unranked Kentucky 45 - 31. Dak Prescott is tallying Heisman votes by the bushel.
Tough loss for my Wildcats. Had they not blown as many tackles and dropped as many passes as they did, they could have won this game. UK QB Towels actually put up better numbers than Prescott but that doesn't mean shit when you don't win the game.
BodyBagz wrote: #3 Ole Miss lost a very tough and defensive game to #24 LSU, 10 - 7. This loss will result in Ole Miss likely dropping to #5, behind both Alabama and Auburn who each won today. But, there is always the chance that the pollsters will just hold those rankings right where they are...this is afterall Ole Miss` first loss, so to drop them behind any other 1 loss team just doesnt feel right...
Still scratching my head over Ole Miss changing their minds and taking another shot at the end zone. Wallace was obviously shaken and and had been throwing up some bad balls. I think that I'd have taken my chances n the field goal but hindsight is what it is.

BodyBagz wrote: #9 Georgia had the week off...they are making plans for the SEC CHampionship...
Nothing at all is certain in this league...especially this year! I'd say that at this point in the season, you could make an argument for five teams that would win the SEC.
FamousJames
Headlining Clubs

Post by FamousJames »

BodyBagz wrote:Todays recap so far @ 10pm CST...just the AP TOp 10
#2 Florida State is off this week, but have no real competition left, so they should easily win out and win the ACC title.
FSU still faces a pretty tough Louisville team, and two rivalry games against Miami and Florida. They SHOULD win big against all of them, but Louisville is a total trap game and rivalry games are tough to predict, especially here in Florida. They all have talent and so many of them have been playing together since high school, they're just so inconsistent - Miami and UF show flashes of brilliance and then total incompetence in the same game.

But yeah, FSU should just try to avoid doing anything stupid and they'll punch their ticket to the playoffs.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Well...the 1st Playoff Poll is out, and there are a few swapped places, but nothing outlandish really...
#1 Miss State
#2 Florida State
#3 Auburn
#4 Ole Miss
#5 Oregon
#6 Alabama
#7 TCU
#8 Michigan State
#9 Kansas State
#10 Notre Dame....<---This is one I truly do not believe in...at the very least they could have bumped Marshall up to 10th if for no other reason than Notre Dames schedule wasnt that much more difficult than Marshalls...at least Marshall IS in a Conference...

You dont have to be a Rocket Surgeon to figure 4 of the Top 6 will knock 2 teams out of contention...but it could happen multiple ways.

Alabama and Miss State go head to head in a couple of weeks. If Alabama wins, that will definitely move them up, but so will everyone ahead of them. If Miss State wins, Alabama will be out of contention for the Playoff and the SEC West as well, unless Auburn gets beaten by Ole Miss this weekend, or either Texas A&M, Georgia. The Iron Bowl may again be the deciding factor in the West.

On the other hand, Miss State still has a few hurdles to jump, Arkansas, which held Bama pretty well, Alabama, and Ole Miss at the end. They truly hold their own destiny...if they can win out, they will be a shoe-in for the play-off, and I would take them over FSU, Michigan State or Oregon in the final.

Right now, the 2 teams with the most to lose and gain are Oregon and Michigan State..a loss by either for the remainder of the season will surely kill them in the Playoff Poll...wins on the other hand, only help if the other teams near them dont win bigger... 8)
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

There is SOOO much left to play out in the SEC that projections at this point are completely useless.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

DaveB wrote:There is SOOO much left to play out in the SEC that projections at this point are completely useless.
No doubt! It makes me giggle on the inside... :lol: Again, thats what I love about NCAA football...especially the SEC.

Alabama vs Miss State...

Auburn vs Ole Miss...

Alabama vs LSU

Georgia vs Florida

Alabama vs Auburn

Ole Miss vs Miss State

LSU vs Arkansas

Texas A&M vs LSU

Georgia vs Auburn

Thats ^^ 9 games right there that you know will be good to great games...and realistically, each one of then can cause a ripple through the SEC...and even the NCAA as a whole... :shock:
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

The Catholics are being under rated again.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

johnk5150 wrote:The Catholics are being under rated again.
Fuck em! :twisted:

This is the same bunch who think they hold the keys to the Kingdom because they have some jackass in a pointed cap tell them what they can and cant believe...even though they profess to be the ONLY people who know EXACTLY what Christianity is about...regardless if their teachings go against the teachings in the 1 fundamental text...The Bible... :twisted:

I will say it until the cows come home...until Notre Dame choose a fucking Conference, they shouldnt be given any special treatment! Right now, Marshall is still undefeated, but since they play no Power 5 schools, they are being excluded, yet ND, who wont play in a Conference, is still ranked in the Top 10...and 3 or 4 of their wins have come against teams that Marshall could take: Rice, Purdue, Syracuse, North Carolina, Navy and possibly even Northwestern and USC at this point.

I am curious...maybe somone on Sludge knows...Now that the NCAA football has went to this 4 team play-off, does Notre Dame still have a Notre Dame Rule" like they did in the BCS era? Here it is below....
"4.Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings." <--- Linked from ---> http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

BodyBagz wrote:I am curious...maybe somone on Sludge knows...Now that the NCAA football has went to this 4 team play-off, does Notre Dame still have a Notre Dame Rule" like they did in the BCS era? Here it is below....
"4.Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings." <--- Linked from ---> http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597
And people talk about an "SEC Bias". SEC puts someone in the national championship every year because, like it or not, they ARE the dominate conference in NCAA football. Notre Dame gets special treatment because they were a dominate team in the 1940's!

Since '95 they're 3-11 in bowl games! That included a 42-14 drubbing by Alabama, I might add.

Notre Dames doesn't deserve shit.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

#10 Notre Dame....<---This is one I truly do not believe in...at the very least they could have bumped Marshall up to 10th if for no other reason than Notre Dames schedule wasnt that much more difficult than Marshalls...at least Marshall IS in a Conference...

fuck off, you SEC honk, that robbery against FSU means nothing?

So what makes the SEC get half their teams in the top 10? Was it LSU'S 4 point win over Wisconsin or Auburns 7 point win over KSU?

The SEC doesn't even have the defending champ in their conference, but they cram all their teams in the top 10... because ESPN said so.

Total scam.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

NeverSurrender wrote:

So what makes the SEC get half their teams in the top 10? Was it LSU'S 4 point win over Wisconsin or Auburns 7 point win over KSU?

The SEC doesn't even have the defending champ in their conference, but they cram all their teams in the top 10... because ESPN said so.

Total scam.

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I post a bunch of questions and points and you post a crying baby.

I'm not shocked. Aren't you the guy afraid of pit bulls?

Remember it's only a money making scam when they agree to put ND in there, but not by forcing every SEC team they can in there, that's not part of the money making scam.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

NeverSurrender wrote: The SEC doesn't even have the defending champ in their conference...
We'll give you this one. After all, you guys have been eight long years to finally be able to say it.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

so when the NFC or AFC wins the Super Bowl year after year most of their teams should just get in over the other conference?

Of course not, that would be as ridiculous as thinking every pitbull wants to eat your children.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

NeverSurrender wrote:

You're an idiot. #7 is clearly interfering with #9. You can tell with him turning his head to look back at the receiver he had no intentions on running a pass route. Would #9 made the play? Probably not, but it's still a penalty.

saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

NeverSurrender wrote:I post a bunch of questions and points and you post a crying baby.

I'm not shocked. Aren't you the guy afraid of pit bulls?

Remember it's only a money making scam when they agree to put ND in there, but not by forcing every SEC team they can in there, that's not part of the money making scam.
Yeah, I'm afraid of pit bulls. What the fuck does that have to do with college football?

But I digress.

SEC teams had 10 teams in bowl games and went 7-3.
ACC had 11 teams and went 5-6.
PAC 12 had 9 teams and went 6-3.

SEC had 9 teams and went 6-3.
BIG 12 had 9 teams and went 4-5.
PAC 12 had 8 teams and went 4-4.

BIG 10 had 10 teams and went 4-6.
SEC had 9 teams and went 6-3.
ACC had 8 teams and went 2-6.

SEC had 10 teams and went 5-5.
ACC had 9 teams and went 4-5.
Big 12 had 8 teams and went 3-5.

Do you see a pattern? I can keep going if you need some more.

In the past 8 seasons, 7 SEC teams have won the national championship. And not just one team...4. Other conferences put teams in that game and guess what? With the exception of last year...they all lost.

You and the rest of the country can whine about the SEC bias but at the end of the day, they have to take the field and play the games. And when they play the games, they win.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

So they average about a 6-3 record in bowel games so 5 or 6 of their teams should be crammed into the top ten?

Please add your logic to any other sports and see how ridiculous you sound.

Every NFC north team has a winning record this year, they must all be in the tp ten and we should force them into the NFC and AFC championship games because they win more.

The San FRan Giants won 3 out of 5 World Series The NL has also won 4 out of 5.

WE should only let American League teams in if they go undefeated and ESPN says so.

Ridiculous.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

NeverSurrender wrote: fuck off, you SEC honk, that robbery against FSU means nothing?

Total scam.
There was no robbery...the call made, while not always called, was still a legitimate call...eat a bag...its over and done with now. :roll:

The SEC gets 1/3 of the Conference in realistically, due to the fact that the SEC fields some excellent teams most years...and they generally have 2/3 of the Conference with 7 or more wins each season...SEC teams are just that fucking good, and the Championship trophies prove that. If you dont think the trophies mean anything since its just SEC bias, go get back all the trophies from the Non SEC schools who won..

Just for Shits & Giggles...here are the SEC schools who are routinely considered to be good and or above average...

Alabama - 3 National Championships (2010, 2012, 2013)
Auburn - 1 National Championship (2011)
Florida - 2 National Championship (2007, 2009)
LSU - 1 National Championship (2008)
Georgia
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Tennessee - 1 National Championship (1999)
and now we have to add in Texas A&M as they have did a fine job in the SEC so far.

Be honest...name any other Power 5 Conference, year in and year out, who are that deep in title contention...I`ll wait. Name any other Power 5 Conference who has a set of schools as potent as the Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida and LSU...year in and year out, again, I`ll wait.

The fact is, year in and year out, at least in the last decade, only the SEC has been able to field more than 2-3 teams yearly with the potential to be National Champs...

Big 10 gets close at times with Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State..but not in the last decade.

Big 12 has lived the last decade and half on the backs of Texas, Texas A&M pre SEC swap, Oklahoma and Oklahoma state with a charge in the last 5 years or so from TCU, West Virginia & Baylor...but nothing of real merit.

AAC has had 2 single years...last year and this year...only because FSU was smart enough to choose the ACC over the SEC...best of the Conference is FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami usually. This year Louisville has came on, but what else is there to talk about. Put ANY ACC team in the SEC and they will likely be on par with Vanderbilt.,,maybe mid level at best.

PAC 12 has lived and died with USC, Cal, UCLA, Oregon and Oregon State with a bit on Stanford for fun...and not a single one of them has made a true impact...

Now, to be fair, in the decade previous to the 2000`s, pre BCS, the SEC was not as proficient..the Big 12 and Big 10 were the most dominant...but you sure didnt hear all the "bias" being screamed back then. Only after the BCS took charge of the Championship in 1998 and the SEC went on to win 9 titles, 8 in a row, did that happen.

Give this Play-Off system a couple seasons and we may in fact see the field level out and 1 conference may not be quite as dominant for such a long stretch. But, just to piss people off, its still a better than average bet that the SEC will put 2 of 4 teams in the playoff this year, and almost even money 1 of those 4 will be n the Championship game...depending on which team that might be, I would still bet on the SEC...odds are in our favor.... :wink: :mrgreen:

From 1999 - 2014 BCS Champions and their Conferences at the time of winning the title:
1999 - Tennessee - SEC
2000 - Florida State - ACC
2001 - Oklahoma - Big 10
2002 - Miami - ACC
2003 - Ohio State - Big 10
2004 - LSU - SEC / USC - Pac 12 - Last Split Championship
2005 - USC - Pac 12
2006 - Texas - Big 12
2007 - Florida - SEC
2008 - LSU - SEC
2009 - Florida - SEC
2010 - Alabama - SEC
2011 - Auburn - SEC
2012 - Alabama - SEC
2013 - Alabama - SEC
2014 - Florida State - ACC
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

NeverSurrender wrote:So they average about a 6-3 record in bowel games so 5 or 6 of their teams should be crammed into the top ten?
In the past ten seasons, SEC teams have the highest winning percentage in bowl games of all conferences involved.
NeverSurrender wrote: Please add your logic to any other sports and see how ridiculous you sound.
I added the logic above. BodyBagz tossed in a shit ton of logic as well. NUMBERS! Outside of 2011 when two teams from the SEC played for the national championship, SEC teams are matched with teams from other conferences. And again, the SEC leads ALL other conferences in winning percentage in bowl games.
NeverSurrender wrote: Every NFC north team has a winning record this year, they must all be in the tp ten and we should force them into the NFC and AFC championship games because they win more.

The San FRan Giants won 3 out of 5 World Series The NL has also won 4 out of 5.

WE should only let American League teams in if they go undefeated and ESPN says so.

Ridiculous.
The pro references you're making doesn't hold water because they all have a playoff system. I understand what you mean, but until the NCAA comes up with a *real* playoff system like everyone else, you just can not compare them.

If all the other teams are better...why aren't they beating the SEC teams when they have the chance?

I will agree with you on one thing...it's a money racket.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

DaveB wrote:
I will agree with you on one thing...it's a money racket.
Just read the GA running back accepted approx $3,000.
Is that all? I wish the kid would have walked away with at least 10K

The schools are walking away with enough cash to choke an elephant and the kids are being made the scapegoats year after year after year.

Earlier today the Michigan AD resigned amid controversy. Finally someone besides an athlete is taking a fall.

You are correct Dave B, the college game is a money racket and the athletes(i hate the term student/athlete) are just a pawn in the game