The NFL Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The NFL Thread

Post by demolition23 »

Redman77 wrote:
demolition23 wrote:Image

I hesitate to say this, but I don't get it. What am I looking at here?
Sherman was getting cocky flashing 24, as in 24 points when they went up 10 points.

My MIL sent a group facebook message at the same time asking who was the best team in the nation (BTW, she has no interest whatsoever in football, but lived in Washington) and I didn't answer until the end of the game "apparently the Patriots".
Huh, for the longest time I was seeing a picture of a ouija board with some bits of metal on it, rather than the picture of him flashing four fingers. Must've been some glitch with the cache or something. Couldn't for the life of me work out what the Sherman reference was or how Machado could understand something I couldn't.

It only changed to the actual pic just now. I feel much better.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

^
Now that's some funny shit right there. I kept thinking to myself how do you not get it.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

veritas wrote:many also seem to be missing Belichick's great decision to NOT call a time-out at the goal line at the very end of the game. I thought it was a mistake to not preserve time, assuming Seattle was certainly going to score. But the Evil One had figured out that letting time run-off was going to put Carroll in a bit of dilemma IF the Patriots could get the stop on 2nd down -- he would have to burn his last time-out and then you run the risk of whether to run it on 3rd down or not with little time on the clock.
BINGO!

I thought I mentioned it earlier but you nailed it.

While Collinsworth was blabbering why Bill wasn't calling the T/O, Belichick knew the game ends here and Carroll was gonna go into 3 down mode.
Machado wrote:Carroll said, "depending on how we had to save the clock to get in all of our plays. It wasn't just run the ball. That wasn't what the thought was."
And there you have it...Trying to get all his plays in. :shock:
Carroll thinking we have three plays to get in the endzone, one had to be a pass and it had to be that down. Why the fuck he went by the book trying to get his plays in baffles me.
Not calling a T/O was a nice chess move by Belichick. Carroll got fucking played but of course the INT still had to happen. Belichick leaving his goal line personnel in and just moving them into coverage was another smooth move.

On Carroll's side, again, I still don't get why he went with 3 plays instead pounding the Beast in with 2 plays and a T/O.
A pass play on the one with no time on the clock? You don't have to defend the roll out, you have your entire defense to defend 10 yards and the cross is going to be doubled automatically. The quick cross and the fade are about his only options.

During the press conference I wanted to hear Belickick say he didn't call a T/O planning on Carroll going into 3 play mode but of course he blew it off, dodged the question and said we just planed for everything with that fucking smirk of his. Right...........
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

Can the Patriots go all in and go for back to back Super Bowls again, and send Brady off Elway style in his home town for next years Super Bowl?
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

Warren Sapp was arrested this morning for picking up a hooker as well as assault in Phoenix and has been promptly fired from his cushy NFL Network job.

Wasn't it just a year or so ago he had to file for bankruptcy? Stupid bastard.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

eddie lee roth wrote:Warren Sapp was arrested this morning for picking up a hooker as well as assault in Phoenix and has been promptly fired from his cushy NFL Network job.

Wasn't it just a year or so ago he had to file for bankruptcy? Stupid bastard.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

:lol:
Luminiferous

Post by Luminiferous »

Machado wrote:so who won money on the game? i made a last minute wager
Pats -1 and walked away with some cash.
I'm not big on betting.. We used to do Final Four brackets, like $20 a pop and the same with Super Bowl.. I haven't participated in years, probably since the Saints/Colts SB.. Now with my work schedule and playing music I don't keep up with the teams, except through this thread and checking SI.com on occasion..
I haven't gave a shit about the SB the last few years, I haven't been a fan of any of the teams enough to really care..
This year I threw in my money on Friday when someone asked if I wanted in and it being payday I was like, what the hell, and while everyone was explaining their science of how they picked their score/point spread, I just threw a guess out there..

I walked into work today and was presented with the entire Super Bowl pool of $550 to the dismay of the scientists...

I actually picked the Patriots to win by 4...
:lol:
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said safeties Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas may need medical procedures to repair their injuries, and Carroll confirmed Monday that cornerback Richard Sherman will need to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left elbow.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

UtahRatt wrote:Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said safeties Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas may need medical procedures to repair their injuries, and Carroll confirmed Monday that cornerback Richard Sherman will need to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left elbow.
Is that the reason why he called a pass play on 2nd down?
If not, then who gives a shit about their injuries.
Brady won the game!

Heard Phil Simms earlier today and he said that no NFL QB would have the guts
to overturn the play call in the huddle.
Not sure I believe that but for the sake of arguement let's agree that is true.
Go back about 30 years when NFL QB's called their own plays. I can picture
Montana or Bradshaw or Staubach refusing to run the pass play and handing the ball
off to the tailback.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

UtahRatt wrote:Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said safeties Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas may need medical procedures to repair their injuries, and Carroll confirmed Monday that cornerback Richard Sherman will need to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left elbow.
Did you see my earlier post about Jeremy lane's injury? I left a link to a picture of him breaking his arm/wrist. He's pretty fucked up too.

I've never heard of a football player having to undergo Tommy John surgery. That defense had some bad luck hit them.

Well that and Tom Brady. :lol:
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

Machado wrote:
Is that the reason why he called a pass play on 2nd down?
If not, then who gives a shit about their injuries.
Brady won the game!

Heard Phil Simms earlier today and he said that no NFL QB would have the guts
to overturn the play call in the huddle.
Not sure I believe that but for the sake of arguement let's agree that is true.
Go back about 30 years when NFL QB's called their own plays. I can picture
Montana or Bradshaw or Staubach refusing to run the pass play and handing the ball
off to the tailback.
Their injuries are a big story. How are you twisting Utah posting about their injuries into the play calling? You're such a fucking tool.
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

eddie lee roth wrote:
Did you see my earlier post about Jeremy lane's injury? I left a link to a picture of him breaking his arm/wrist. He's pretty fucked up too.
I seen them but didn't comment.....Lane looked like Reed Richards from the Fantastic 4. It didn't say in the link but that has to be a compound fracture.
I brought it up once, during a game me and a safety hit a RB who tried too stiff arm instead of dropping a shoulder, when we got up the dudes arm was dangling broken between the elbow and wrist with a wicked bone lump but it didn't break the skin. MEDIC! That vision is forever imprinted in my skull. I'll admit, I can't look at that shit with getting stomach convulsions.

I've never heard of a football player needing Tommy John surgery either. Maybe it's a repetitive Twitter motion injury.
If it's the same arm.....Sherman must have had a slight tear in the Championship game, then tore it up in the SB. That sucks.
I fucking hate Sherman but wouldn't want to see him go down, at least it's not an ACL. He could be the next "Neon" Deion Sanders. A no tackling shutdown CB....But he'd have to go man to man.

Fuck what anyone says, the Hawks took one hell of a beating the last two games and still played their guts out right down to the last play.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

i don't think giving the ball to crazy eyes was the best play either.

qb draw. you don't risk a fumble. carrol basicly said he didn't trust his D to shut down brady for under 15 seconds.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Kid-Wicked wrote:i don't think giving the ball to crazy eyes was the best play either.

qb draw. you don't risk a fumble. carrol basicly said he didn't trust his D to shut down brady for under 15 seconds.
Carrol didn't trust THE BEAST MODE to get one yard in two plays.

I'm almost angry. I can't begin to imagine how deflated Seattle is. When Seattle was at the one I bet there wasn't a fan on the planet who didn't think they had it. Biggest Super Bowl heart breaker I can recall.

Next to Buffalo's Ray Finkle's laces out....WIDE RIGHT! WIDE RIGHT! Scott Norwood.....That's one I wished he made.

Kevin Dyson being tackled by Mike Jones at the one....No Titans for you! Ram's WIN!

I loved Jackie Smith's "The Sickest Man In America" blooper! DOH!!
Son_of_Sam_I_Am
I'm an angry, angry boy!

Post by Son_of_Sam_I_Am »

UtahRatt wrote:I'm almost angry. I can't begin to imagine how deflated Seattle is. When Seattle was at the one I bet there wasn't a fan on the planet who didn't think they had it. Biggest Super Bowl heart breaker I can recall.
Especially when you consider the exhilaration of that miraculous Kearse reception two plays before.

You cannot IMAGINE what it sounds like to hear a million fans get kicked in the balls at the same time. The entire city screamed "WHAT?" so loudly that Canada called us and requested that we shut the fuck up.

The game was ours to win. And even worse, America is tonguing Tom Brady's ballsack today...but he was three fucking feet away from being the goat.

Tom Brady didn't win that game for the Patriots. Pete Carroll and Malcom Butler did, and they should share the MVP title.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

UtahRatt wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:i don't think giving the ball to crazy eyes was the best play either.

Carrol didn't trust THE BEAST MODE to get one yard in two plays.

I'm almost angry. I can't begin to imagine how deflated Seattle is. When Seattle was at the one I bet there wasn't a fan on the planet who didn't think they had it. Biggest Super Bowl heart breaker I can recall.

Next to Buffalo's Ray Finkle's laces out....WIDE RIGHT! WIDE RIGHT! Scott Norwood.....That's one I wished he made.

Kevin Dyson being tackled by Mike Jones at the one....No Titans for you! Ram's WIN!

I loved Jackie Smith's "The Sickest Man In America" blooper! DOH!!
The conspiracy theories are running wild online. Apparently the story is that the Seahawks wanted Wilson to throw the game winning TD pass so he could be awarded the MVP of the game. Thus getting all the interviews and the pleasure of taking the podium to accept the award on National TV.
If the ball was given to Lynch, he would have been awarded the MVP of the game and been the receiver of the accolades and the TV time.

Not sure I agree with this theory but it's interesting to think about after the fact.
At the end of the day Carroll outsmarted himself. Instead of going for the WIN on 2nd down, he wanted to write his own story and win the game on the next down or on 4th down.
No self respecting coach thinks like that and wins the game. He coached to lose the game and deserves all the criticism.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:I'm almost angry. I can't begin to imagine how deflated Seattle is. When Seattle was at the one I bet there wasn't a fan on the planet who didn't think they had it. Biggest Super Bowl heart breaker I can recall.
Especially when you consider the exhilaration of that miraculous Kearse reception two plays before.

You cannot IMAGINE what it sounds like to hear a million fans get kicked in the balls at the same time. The entire city screamed "WHAT?" so loudly that Canada called us and requested that we shut the fuck up.

The game was ours to win. And even worse, America is tonguing Tom Brady's ballsack today...but he was three fucking feet away from being the goat.

Tom Brady didn't win that game for the Patriots. Pete Carroll and Malcom Butler did, and they should share the MVP title.
Best Super Bowl ending ever.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

AliceManson wrote:
Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:

Best Super Bowl ending ever.
Tom Brady says he is giving his MVP truck to Butler.
Very nice gesture and well deserving. Why couldn't Butler and Brady be co-MVP's of the game?
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:Why couldn't Butler and Brady be co-MVP's of the game?
Because that's not how the vote went, you stupid fuck.

You think they just make this stuff up as they go along? Like, one dude picks the MVP and then could just pick two cause that would be a nice thing to do?

Viewers and media members vote on the MVP. So yes...if there was an exact 50/50 split they could have been "co-MVPs." It happened once in the 70s.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Machado wrote:Why couldn't Butler and Brady be co-MVP's of the game?
Because that's not how the vote went, you stupid fuck.

You think they just make this stuff up as they go along? Like, one dude picks the MVP and then could just pick two cause that would be a nice thing to do?

Viewers and media members vote on the MVP. So yes...if there was an exact 50/50 split they could have been "co-MVPs." It happened once in the 70s.
Why do you get so upset without a valid reason? Since a co MVP award happened once before, then the situation could happen again.
Butler intercepted a pass and saved the game. If that is not MVP worthy, what achievement is other than playing the QB position.

Explain how the MVP is awarded and don't leave out any of the minor details. GO!
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

You asked "why weren't they co-MVPs," and that's a stupid question.

They aren't because that isn't how the vote went. What more could I possibly say about it?

That's like asking "why didn't Seattle get the Lombardi trophy?"

Can you answer that?

GO!!!
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:You asked "why weren't they co-MVPs," and that's a stupid question.

They aren't because that isn't how the vote went. What more could I possibly say about it?
STFU already. You are a broken record. On and on you go with a rant and another rant and another rant.
Really now-Is that how the vote went? Wait a minute, you minute people voted and Tom was the winner.
Levi, is that how the vote went. No wait tell us again-How did the vote go?

YOU MORON!
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Machado wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:You asked "why weren't they co-MVPs," and that's a stupid question.

STFU already. You are a broken record. On and on you go with a rant and another rant and another rant.
Really now-Is that how the vote went? Wait a minute, you minute people voted and Tom was the winner.

YOU MORON!
Your punctuation, spelling, and grammar are atrocious.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Gritt wrote:
Machado wrote:

YOU MORON!
Your punctuation, spelling, and grammar are atrocious.
I do that just for people like you so you can bitch and moan about
that pretty much on a daily basis.
Are you satisfied???
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

You're like when Pee Wee Herman fell off his bike and said I meant to do that.
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

Redman77 wrote:
demolition23 wrote:Image

I hesitate to say this, but I don't get it. What am I looking at here?
Sherman was getting cocky flashing 24, as in 24 points when they went up 10 points.

My MIL sent a group facebook message at the same time asking who was the best team in the nation (BTW, she has no interest whatsoever in football, but lived in Washington) and I didn't answer until the end of the game "apparently the Patriots".

I think he was calling out Revis, number 24, who got beat on that play.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:The sounds of that album gives me the brutal shits.
ImageImage
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Machado wrote:

YOU MORON!
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:You cannot IMAGINE what it sounds like to hear a million fans get kicked in the balls at the same time.
Patriots fans can. 2007,2011 and Sunday. However, our balls quickly deflated after the pick.
Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:The game was ours to win. And even worse, America is tonguing Tom Brady's ballsack today...but he was three fucking feet away from being the goat.
He did become the goat. Greatest Of All Time.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

I think it was right Brady got MVP.

I hate the fucker, and he wasn't outstanding but no one on either team was, to be fair. Brady though, despite 2 picks, threw 4 touchdowns and marshaled his offense well with a short/medium passing game on a bunch of drives. This included 2 big 4th quarter drives where they faced a third and 18 and a third and 14. This was also against the no.1 ranked defense in the league.

It's also getting harder to argue against the cunt for greatest of all time. Sure, it's hard to compare eras. Some will say you can't fart near a quarterback for fear of a penalty, unlike in yesteryear. Others will say it's a pass happy league, favoring passers rather than running backs. Both valid points, but that ignores free agency and salary caps, both of which creates a merry go round of players making it harder to keep a good roster together. Bradys had a number of different receivers down the years and he still keeps finding them with passes.