The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by UtahRatt »

Ottawa vs Montreal = Fuck You Ref's. Ottawa got robbed blind and all they talked about was fucking PRICE. It helps when the zebras give Monty a high stick goal then discount a great Ottawa goal on a far side whistle....The video of the Ref who blew it was classic, looked like he was praying to god not to go to hell for fucking up.

Hat's off to Ottawa, great fight to get in and a great battle during the series.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

WOLF wrote:Man... those plucky Senators gave the Habs (and me) fits! They keep that team together, add a few pieces, and they'll be damn good. What an end to their season. RESPECT.
The Habs are great, Price is on another planet but that game was zebra controlled.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:
WOLF wrote:Man... those plucky Senators gave the Habs (and me) fits! They keep that team together, add a few pieces, and they'll be damn good. What an end to their season. RESPECT.
The Habs are great, Price is on another planet but that game was zebra controlled.
Yeah, but then they tried to even it up five times over. Penalty call on De La Rose at the end does not get called in a close regular season game, let alone a playoff game. Gallagher took a flying elbow mid way through the third and nothing.

Ref was out of position, lost sight of the puck, and blew the play dead. Will likely cost him an assignment in the next round. Would not have been a sure goal. Once the whistle goes, Price stops battling - he could have recovered and got a piece of it before the Sen put it in.

I'm just impressed that the Habs' best players were HORRID this series, and they still managed to beat the hottest team in the league the last quarter of the season. Next round may very well be easier.

PS - Goal was fine. Puck hit Gallagher's glove, shoulder, and then he redirected it into the net with his stick just above ice level. The NHL command could have called it back, and would have called it back, if the goal wasn't good.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Mazerati wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:who did the ducks get in the trade for hiller?
Ugh I know what your saying now..my bad
he was on the canucks radar before they signed miller.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

WOLF wrote:PS - Goal was fine. Puck hit Gallagher's glove, shoulder, and then he redirected it into the net with his stick just above ice level. The NHL command could have called it back, and would have called it back, if the goal wasn't good.
I'm just being a sour fan right after watching the game. To me Gallagher had a high stick to the top of his head then it redirected the puck down and he slapped it in.
It was a great shot in to begin with I just thought it could have been a high stick call. I still think the better team won, it was a great series. Best of luck to the Hab's in the next round. I like Detroit but would love to see the Hab's sweep Tampa.

I was thinking Tampa was going to take the East but I'll leaning towards the Hab's.....Even tho I'm a Ranger fan, I don't want the rematch...It will turn out different because of the obvious reason from what happened last year..
The Hab's will want revenge and I think they'll get it if it goes that far.
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Remember when Devan Dubnyk couldn't stop a beach ball in Edmonton ?

Got to feel bad for Jake Allen,he didn't have much goal scoring support, but those 3 groaners the last two games needed to be stopped. It reminded me of his performance in the WJC Final a few years back.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

alecjonsludge wrote:Remember when Devan Dubnyk couldn't stop a beach ball in Edmonton ?

Got to feel bad for Jake Allen,he didn't have much goal scoring support, but those 3 groaners the last two games needed to be stopped. It reminded me of his performance in the WJC Final a few years back.
He was playing for Edmonton so that is the reason why.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:Remember when Devan Dubnyk couldn't stop a beach ball in Edmonton ?

Allen was that way with the Montreal Juniors (now Blainville Armada) of the QMJHL. I've watched him for a long time - he's not a big game goalie. Some guys get you to the playoffs; others get you through them. Allen is the former.

Dubnyk was actually acquired by the Habs at last year's trade deadline, to back up Tokarski in Hamilton, and be a sort of insurance policy. He actually refused an assignment to skate with Montreal's "black aces" during last year's playoff run. A year later he's nominated for the Vezina. Crazy! Habs got him, and let him go, for nothing.

Dubnyk actually credits Sean Burke, of the Coyotes, for turning his career around.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:

Allen was that way with the Montreal Juniors (now Blainville Armada) of the QMJHL. I've watched him for a long time - he's not a big game goalie. Some guys get you to the playoffs; others get you through them. Allen is the former.

Dubnyk was actually acquired by the Habs at last year's trade deadline, to back up Tokarski in Hamilton, and be a sort of insurance policy. He actually refused an assignment to skate with Montreal's "black aces" during last year's playoff run. A year later he's nominated for the Vezina. Crazy! Habs got him, and let him go, for nothing.

Dubnyk actually credits Sean Burke, of the Coyotes, for turning his career around.
Yep. Great pick up for the Wild.

St.Louis should start with Elliott imo. Just give him a proper shot.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

would have loved an islander/ranger matchup.

oh well
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

WOLF wrote:

Not usually one to name drop, but I've been in social situations with Allen's dad,as we have mutual friends. One such occasion was at a house party for the WJC Gold Medal Game vs the States in 2010. Jake was softer than wet cheese and got yanked. Allen's dad blamed Willie Desjardin and Dave Cameron for not having a better game plan, blamed Alex Pieterangelo for his poor D play,basically,everyone but his son. Can only speculate who he's blaming today.

I think it's a cop out to blame all of Dubnyk's Edmonton woes strictly on the D in front of him. He allowed some absolutely brutal goals back then that had nothing to do with their soft D. I was screaming at the NBC announcer who kept saying he skated with Montreal's black aces last year, "No He Didn't!!"
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

alecjonsludge wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Not usually one to name drop, but I've been in social situations with Allen's dad,as we have mutual friends. One such occasion was at a house party for the WJC Gold Medal Game vs the States in 2010. Jake was softer than wet cheese and got yanked. Allen's dad blamed Willie Desjardin and Dave Cameron for not having a better game plan, blamed Alex Pieterangelo for his poor D play,basically,everyone but his son. Can only speculate who he's blaming today.

I think it's a cop out to blame all of Dubnyk's Edmonton woes strictly on the D in front of him. He allowed some absolutely brutal goals back then that had nothing to do with their soft D. I was screaming at the NBC announcer who kept saying he skated with Montreal's black aces last year, "No He Didn't!!"
I felt bad for Dubs when he played for the Oil, he did let in some brutal goals and fans were calling for his head and were quite happy when he left but the D in front of his was just as bad, it wasn't all his fault..the guy goes from Edmonton to Montreal to Nashville to Arizona to Minnesota and is now a Vezina candidate? good for him and Burke did wonders for him, with Price on the ballot I doubt he wins but it's quite an accomplishment..
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Round 2:

Habs/Bolts - want to win: Habs; will win: Tampa in 6

NYR/Caps - want: Washington; will win NYR in 6

Chicago/Minny - want Minny; will win Minny in 6

Anaheim/Calgary - want Flames; will win Duckies in 6
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Round 2:

Habs/Bolts - Habs in 5

NYR/Caps - NYR in 6

Chicago/Minny - Chicago in 7

Anaheim/Calgary - Ducks in 5

UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Not really a good game but a great win for the Cap's. I'm still in a state of "you've got to be fucking kidding me" ending.

I don't think the series will be the same as tonight no matter who wins. Cap's are dangerous and I for one wasn't thinking the Rangers was going to take them down like the Pen's. Ovechkin is a monster when he's on, that first goal was beautiful. What a bad time to lose Zuccarello just when Klein comes back, Kreider was limping through the game but the Rangers didn't gel, there gonna have to tweak the lines because they looked sluggish and off key.
Still think it's the Rangers series to lose but wouldn't be surprised if the Cap's rose up to the challenge. Game one of a long series I bet.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:Not really a good game but a great win for the Cap's. I'm still in a state of "you've got to be fucking kidding me" ending.

I don't think the series will be the same as tonight no matter who wins. Cap's are dangerous and I for one wasn't thinking the Rangers was going to take them down like the Pen's. Ovechkin is a monster when he's on, that first goal was beautiful. What a bad time to lose Zuccarello just when Klein comes back, Kreider was limping through the game but the Rangers didn't gel, there gonna have to tweak the lines because they looked sluggish and off key.
Still think it's the Rangers series to lose but wouldn't be surprised if the Cap's rose up to the challenge. Game one of a long series I bet.
That one's going to be a war. Last year Habs/Boston went 7 and it was obvious that whomever won was going to have a hard time taking their game to another level emotionally. Ultimately the Habs couldn't elevate vs the Rangers and lost.

Same thing in reverse this year. Caps//NYR will be a long, physical series, and the while the Habs/Bolts will be difficult, there's not as much history (read:hate) there.

As for the end of yesterday's game. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Boyle was trying to kill the rest of the clock, was soft on the puck, put himself in a position to be hit, and got hit. Backstrom didn't run Boyle and he didn't hit Boyle in the numbers. Good shoulder check on a player who made himself vulnerable, and was soft, and the Caps made it work in a one in a thousand kind of play. I would be angry if I was Alain Vigneault too, but Rangers simply failed to execute there. There was nothing illegal.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Habs are getting theirs arses kicked. :lol:

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:Habs are getting theirs arses kicked. :lol:
In 2-3 years Bergevin has built them up from a bottom 5, to a top 5 team. Obviously he has the goalie, the rebuilt D is deep and diverse, he has plenty of choices for his bottom 6 forwards, he also has plenty of choices for the 2nd line.

One thing left to do - and its a biggie: Add two legitimate snipers with size.

You can't expect to win every game 1-0 or 2-1 in the playoffs, and you can't ask David Desharnais, PA Parenteau, or even Gallagher, Plekanec or Pacioretty to be Stamkos/Johnson, Perry/Getzlaf, Toews/Kane, etc.

The Habs scored the least goals of any team in the playoffs, and that's why they are in trouble now. Only way they come back is for Price to be other worldly. Having said that, they have lost 7 straight to Tampa - I don't see them winning 4 of 5 all of a sudden.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Chicago is up by 3 games against Minny!

Rangers Caps looks like the only tight series in the second round so far!

Anaheim yet to lose a game! Up 3-2 against Calgary atm.

Mazerati
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mazerati »

Wow awesome ending!
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Time to increase the width of the nets by and inch and half. If that doesn't work than two inches. Dead puck era 2.0 and the goalies are bigger. It's an unfair advantage. Bishop could sit on his ass for the whole game and still take up 3/4 of the net. It's getting tedious to watch the lack of scoring. Something has to be done.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I've given up on the Rangers series, playoffs are a different game and the Rangers look flat. Not sure if it's the loss of zuccarello, Nash stopped making goals a month ago, just getting out played or whatever. The Cap's are the better team. It's been hard fought wins for them and they've pulled through.

I knew in game one that no call board check goal to win with 3 seconds left would come back and haunt them. It's not the ref's fault when The Rangers were all up in arms over the no call while the Cap's was still fighting to put the puck in. Whistle to fucking whistle guys.

Unless a comeback happens, good games.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

UtahRatt wrote:I've given up on the Rangers series, playoffs are a different game and the Rangers look flat. Not sure if it's the loss of zuccarello, Nash stopped making goals a month ago, just getting out played or whatever. The Cap's are the better team. It's been hard fought wins for them and they've pulled through.

I knew in game one that no call board check goal to win with 3 seconds left would come back and haunt them. It's not the ref's fault when The Rangers were all up in arms over the no call while the Cap's was still fighting to put the puck in. Whistle to fucking whistle guys.

I hope the Rangers lose so bad. Nothing worse going into work in NYC as a Devils fan with all the fat heads bragging about their pre-won Stanley Cup.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Aerosmith87 wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:I've given up on the Rangers series, playoffs are a different game and the Rangers look flat. Not sure if it's the loss of zuccarello, Nash stopped making goals a month ago, just getting out played or whatever. The Cap's are the better team. It's been hard fought wins for them and they've pulled through.

I hope the Rangers lose so bad. Nothing worse going into work in NYC as a Devils fan with all the fat heads bragging about their pre-won Stanley Cup.
They are hanging on on there! Wouldn't surprise me if they beat the Caps in game 7.

And can Tampa please just kill off Montreal. Thanks!

UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Fuck this Capitals vs Rangers series is turning out to be as expected, brutal. Just when I thought all was lost it's going to 7. That 3rd period was balls out. I wasn't worried but it got my attention, 4-1 in the 3rd wasn't gonna happen. I would have tossed the TV out the window.

If the Rangers don't bring their best game they're gonna lose because the Cap's are going to show up. 2012 - 2013 all over again.

Hat's off to the Flames....I wished they would have pulled tonight's game out. They are solid bunch, they get Giordano back and fill in a few holes they're going to be tough in the pacific.
Mazerati

Post by Mazerati »

UtahRatt wrote:Fuck this Capitals vs Rangers series is turning out to be as expected, brutal. Just when I thought all was lost it's going to 7. That 3rd period was balls out. I wasn't worried but it got my attention, 4-1 in the 3rd wasn't gonna happen. I would have tossed the TV out the window.

If the Rangers don't bring their best game they're gonna lose because the Cap's are going to show up. 2012 - 2013 all over again.

Hat's off to the Flames....I wished they would have pulled tonight's game out. They are solid bunch, they get Giordano back and fill in a few holes they're going to be tough in the pacific.
It's a shame in those last 2 games those end of the 2nd period penalty's were really big time momentum killers..but Calgary played the best they could and the future looks really bright
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

Mazerati wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Fuck this Capitals vs Rangers series is turning out to be as expected, brutal. Just when I thought all was lost it's going to 7. That 3rd period was balls out. I wasn't worried but it got my attention, 4-1 in the 3rd wasn't gonna happen. I would have tossed the TV out the window.

It's a shame in those last 2 games those end of the 2nd period penalty's were really big time momentum killers..but Calgary played the best they could and the future looks really bright
pains me to say this but the Flames are legit, I am hoping they regress like the Avs did this year, they have a nice top 6...hopefully with the addition of Chiarelli/Nicholson and McLellan (hopefully),McDavid and if they can land a legit goalie and Dman this summer the BOA will be back to what it used to be! 8)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:
Mazerati wrote:

pains me to say this but the Flames are legit, I am hoping they regress like the Avs did this year, they have a nice top 6...hopefully with the addition of Chiarelli/Nicholson and McLellan (hopefully),McDavid and if they can land a legit goalie and Dman this summer the BOA will be back to what it used to be! 8)
Their shooting percentages and ridiculous amount of 3rd period comebacks this season is unsustainable.

They have a great coach though, and some very good young players. I think they will regress personally. They should still finish above Edmonton though!
:lol:

Oh and Oshawa are completely closing down McDavid and the Otters. 8)

Joshua Brown a defensive prospect for Florida is playing for Oshawa. :D

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Mazerati wrote:

Told you not to bet on Calgary.

UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

EatTheGlass wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Tampa vs Ducks
What makes you think the Ducks will get anywhere near the SCF? Does everyone forget that their coach has NEVER made it out of the 2nd round? not to mention, they have question marks in goal....AGAIN....just like last year. Why should this be any different?

:mrgreen:

Start the excuses now.

The East had all the match ups, any of the last 4 could have made it.