The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by chungasrevenge »

Let's hope Coyotes to Quebec City for next season. They might have to play in the west at the start, but the immediate sales would there and instant revenue stream that didn't exist in AZ.

Lucic is gone. NY for Yandle or Vancouver are the leading rumors. 15 team trade list.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

no one wants lucic in vancouver including him.

hearing eddie lack to buffalo
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Kid-Wicked wrote:no one wants lucic in vancouver including him.

They're on his trade list.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

The expansion thing is interesting. The league does not need expansion, but the fees are too much for the owners to resist. I think we will wind up with teams in Vegas, Seattle, and Quebec City, two via expansion, one via a relocation.

Carey Price cleaned up at the NHL awards last night: Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, and Jennings. I'm sure he would trade them all for a Cup. Curious to see what the Habs do. They are set in nets, and on D, now they need to add a sniper or two (preferably big ones).

They have to create an award for the best offensive D-man. The Bobby Orr award. Have one for the Subbans and Karlsons, and another for the Duncan Keiths, Drew Doughtys, etc.

Kinda neat award show last night. They always have cheeseball hosts, but I like when the players show who they are, and when the league shows its heart: Carey Price encouraging First Nation's youth to follow their dreams, the league bringing the kid with a rare disease to the awards to fulfill a wish, Jiri Hudler's hilarious speech, Bob Hartley sending a shout out to minor league/youth coaches, etc.

Looking forward to the draft on Friday.
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

I am trying to wrap my head around an NHL team in Las Vegas. Did they finish construction of that arena they were building? Would betting on the games be technically legal there?

I agree with Wolf, I do not think the league needs expansion though. There are so many entertainment opportunities in Vegas, it seems like they would have trouble getting people to these games.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Anne_Thrax wrote:I am trying to wrap my head around an NHL team in Las Vegas. Did they finish construction of that arena they were building? Would betting on the games be technically legal there?

I agree with Wolf, I do not think the league needs expansion though. There are so many entertainment opportunities in Vegas, it seems like they would have trouble getting people to these games.

I don't like the idea of a sports team in a gambling city. It helps that Vegas is run more by Disney then the mob anymore. But I never thought I'd see the day Vegas got a professional sports team.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:The expansion thing is interesting. The league does not need expansion, but the fees are too much for the owners to resist. I think we will wind up with teams in Vegas, Seattle, and Quebec City, two via expansion, one via a relocation.

Carey Price cleaned up at the NHL awards last night: Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, and Jennings. I'm sure he would trade them all for a Cup. Curious to see what the Habs do. They are set in nets, and on D, now they need to add a sniper or two (preferably big ones).

They have to create an award for the best offensive D-man. The Bobby Orr award. Have one for the Subbans and Karlsons, and another for the Duncan Keiths, Drew Doughtys, etc.

Kinda neat award show last night. They always have cheeseball hosts, but I like when the players show who they are, and when the league shows its heart: Carey Price encouraging First Nation's youth to follow their dreams, the league bringing the kid with a rare disease to the awards to fulfill a wish, Jiri Hudler's hilarious speech, Bob Hartley sending a shout out to minor league/youth coaches, etc.

Looking forward to the draft on Friday.
That I definitely agree with.

Ekblad with the Calder. 8)
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Anne_Thrax wrote:I am trying to wrap my head around an NHL team in Las Vegas. Did they finish construction of that arena they were building? Would betting on the games be technically legal there?

the arena is in the mgm grand. pretty sure it's done or close to it
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

What is Boston doing! Maybe wanting to draft Hanifin.

I guess the Hamilton negotiations weren't going well.

Lucic to LA. Easy to hate that team even more now! Brown, Quick, Doughty, and Lucic!

Man the pacific is getting better with these trades today.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

What is going to become of Patrick Sharp and his fine ass? I can't watch much more of this.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:What is Boston doing! Maybe wanting to draft Hanifin.

Lucic to LA. Easy to hate that team even more now! Brown, Quick, Doughty, and Lucic!

Not just saying this because I'm a Habs fan, but I don 't know what the fuck the Bruins are doing!

They won the President's trophy two years ago, and missed the playoffs by two points last year. Hardly a reason to blow shit up.

Jeez - if you have cap issues, bite the bullet and put Chris Kelly in the minors, or even trade an aging Chara. You don't trade a stud like Hamilton, and a big part of the team's identity in Lucic for "iffy" assets.

I was sure they were going to use at least two of those picks to move up and get Hanifin. To use two of them on players projected to go in the 2nd round or later is nuts.

Not sure what else they have planned, but really bad day in Beantown if you ask me. Hamilton... They traded Hamilton. Wow!
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Add to it that they signed McQuaid to 4yr/11mil.
I like McQuaid but 2.75 mil a year? :shock:
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

chungasrevenge wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:no one wants lucic in vancouver including him.

They're on his trade list.

Well apparently the only people that want Patrick Sharp are the other players wives.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

From Yahoo Sports' winner and losers list, re the entry draft:

LOSER: Don Sweeney

“Laughingstock” is a harsh label to throw around, but we just report what we see on the ground here: Sweeney’s first NHL Draft as Boston Bruins general manager, at least on Day 1, was lambasted off the record by his peers. The Dougie Hamilton debacle netted a disappointing return compared to what they would have gotten for an offer sheet on him. The three picks in the first round the Bruins had resulted in two players that many felt were drafted well ahead of their rankings – Jake DeBrusk at No. 14, about 10 picks too high; and Zachary Senyshyn at No. 15, arguably one round too early. The return from the Los Angeles Kings for Milan Lucic, whom the Bruins wouldn’t have signed after this season, was solid. But the rest of the weekend was a stumble at the start for Sweeney and his boss Cam Neely.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Anne_Thrax wrote:What is going to become of Patrick Sharp and his fine ass? I can't watch much more of this.
Florida. Tallon connection!

Actually hearing it might be Montreal.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:What is Boston doing! Maybe wanting to draft Hanifin.

Not just saying this because I'm a Habs fan, but I don 't know what the fuck the Bruins are doing!

They won the President's trophy two years ago, and missed the playoffs by two points last year. Hardly a reason to blow shit up.

Jeez - if you have cap issues, bite the bullet and put Chris Kelly in the minors, or even trade an aging Chara. You don't trade a stud like Hamilton, and a big part of the team's identity in Lucic for "iffy" assets.

I was sure they were going to use at least two of those picks to move up and get Hanifin. To use two of them on players projected to go in the 2nd round or later is nuts.

Not sure what else they have planned, but really bad day in Beantown if you ask me. Hamilton... They traded Hamilton. Wow!

Yeah they have completely overreacted. Well done to Calgary for taking advantage!

And they traded a 2017 3rd round pick for Zac Rinaldo. :lol:

I mean a 3rd round pick for an enforcer, who is healthy scratched frequently!

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Bruins trade Martin Jones to Sharks for 2016 first round pick and a prospect.

Hamilton turned down 5.5 per year from Bruins and took 5.75 from Flames......hmmm.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Facedown wrote:Bruins trade Martin Jones to Sharks for 2016 first round pick and a prospect.

Hamilton turned down 5.5 per year from Bruins and took 5.75 from Flames......hmmm.
Sweeney did OK with the Lucic return, and more than OK on the Jones trade. Still think they are fucked though - this season anyways.

Interesting Free Agent Frenzy day. So much overpayment for middling talent. Glad my GM (Habs' Marc Bergevin) is staying out of the stupidity. Love getting Kassian and a pick for Prust. Kassian 7 years younger, 750K cheaper, bigger, and with more offensive upside, He also looks like a genious getting Petry for 5.5/year a few weeks ago, given what has gone on today.

We have a great goalie, solid D, and terrific bottom 6. They have a few components of a good top 6, but need to add 1-2 snipers. That's not easy, but it would make the Habs an instant contender.

Of note:

- Kessel and $ to Pens for prospects and picks. I think the Pens won the deal, but they have something like 3.5 million left under the cap to sign 5-7 players!

- Mike Green to Wings; 6 years/18 million. Imagine if he could play D!

- Francois Beauchemin, at 35, gets 3 years, 4.5 million per, from Colorado. Utterly stupid.

I was shocked by the Saad deal yesterday, but the Hawks are in a jam with Kane and Toews' contracts kicking in.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Rumor: Matt Beleskey "very close" to signing a 5yr deal with the Bruins.

and they are supposedly going to trade Reilly Smith to Panthers for Jimmy Hayes.

Yay, Matt Bartkowski has signed with the Canucks.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Facedown wrote:Rumor: Matt Beleskey "very close" to signing a 5yr deal with the Bruins.

and they are supposedly going to trade Reilly Smith to Panthers for Jimmy Hayes.

Yay, Matt Bartkowski has signed with the Canucks.
I'm not at all sold on Beleskey, but the Bs got a good deal in him. What's bigger is they dealt the Savard contract in the Smith/Hayes deal. That frees up $ to get some D help, which they desperately need.

It's been a crazy week in Boston.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Saad is gone. To the Blue Jackets. This sucks.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Anne_Thrax wrote:Saad is gone. To the Blue Jackets. This sucks.
Are you saad?

Sorry! :oops:

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Calgery - Nice pick up, thanks Boston, I hope all these moves put's the B's in the wHine cellar. Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie will make a killer set.
Shocked to see Ramo signed on Wednesday for another season at 3.8m. With Hiller and Join Ortio they have three goaltenders on a one-way contracts heading into the season. My bet is they'll be shuffling them around all year.
My wish for Cam talbot + picks for Ramo didn't pan out.
If the Flames get consistent behind the net they're going to be tough and exciting to watch.

I wish Talbot the best but expect he'll hammered in Edmonton. Going from the best defense to the worst? Any bet's on how well he'll do? Hopefully he sucks then comes back to NYR next year.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

UtahRatt wrote:Calgery - Nice pick up, thanks Boston, I hope all these moves put's the B's in the wHine cellar. Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie will make a killer set.
Shocked to see Ramo signed on Wednesday for another season at 3.8m. With Hiller and Join Ortio they have three goaltenders on a one-way contracts heading into the season. My bet is they'll be shuffling them around all year.
If the Flames get consistent behind the net they're going to be tough and exciting to watch.

I wish Talbot the best but expect he'll hammered in Edmonton. Going from the best defense to the worst? Any bet's on how well he'll do? Hopefully he sucks then comes back to NYR next year.

I'm hoping with the addition of Sekera and also ( on a much smaller scale Reinhart ) will help the D..I think they add one more Veteran Dman before the season starts and buy out or trade Nikitin.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Calgery - Nice pick up, thanks Boston, I hope all these moves put's the B's in the wHine cellar. Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie will make a killer set.

I'm hoping with the addition of Sekera and also ( on a much smaller scale Reinhart ) will help the D..I think they add one more Veteran Dman before the season starts and buy out or trade Nikitin.
Sekera will help, but it is still a weak defense overall.

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

I was hoping for them to sign Mike Green, there isn't much left now though Franson? Unless there is a trade to be had..
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

pieceofme wrote:
Anne_Thrax wrote:Saad is gone. To the Blue Jackets. This sucks.
Are you saad?

Sorry! :oops:
That was lame lol. Sharp is going to Dallas. I am going to miss his ass and everything attached to it.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Sharp goes to Dallas.

Chicago hardly gets any more cap space with this deal.

Dallas improves their top 6 and offense, but their defense still sucks.

This deal doesn't make too much sense for either team.

Actually, the Kessel deal wasn't great for either team. Pittsburgh needed more depth players, so they traded for a 1st line winger, meaning that they have half their cap in 5 players! They will make the playoffs but get knocked out early. Toronto has to retain salary and the return wasn't that great.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Dallas Edmonton games should be high scoring games next season! lol