NFL 2010 Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: NFL 2010 Thread

Post by Crazy Levi »

Let's take a moment to remember a nice nugget of stupidity from earlier this season...

If Sean Peyton hadn't called one of those stupid "right at the snap field goal" timeouts the first time the Saints played the Falcons, the Saints would be NFC South champs right now.

And that fucker TRIED to do it again on Thanksgiving, when the Cowboys were lining up for a 59-yarder!!!

What the fuck is it with these people? It's a stupid tactic. If the guy misses the kick (like at the first Falcons game) you just give them another chance at it.
WTF
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WTF »

Crazy Levi wrote: What the fuck is it with these people? It's a stupid tactic. If the guy misses the kick (like at the first Falcons game) you just give them another chance at it.
Agreed. Nice waste of a timeout. One of my biggest pet peeves. The kicker gets paid to kick. He's either going to make the kick or miss the kick and it has nothing to do with calling a timeout before it. I mean, why don't they do it in obvious passing situations too. "They're gonna throw. Let me call a timeout and freeze these fuckers. Yeah! That'll work."
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

WTF wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote: What the fuck is it with these people? It's a stupid tactic. If the guy misses the kick (like at the first Falcons game) you just give them another chance at it.
Agreed. Nice waste of a timeout. One of my biggest pet peeves. The kicker gets paid to kick. He's either going to make the kick or miss the kick and it has nothing to do with calling a timeout before it. I mean, why don't they do it in obvious passing situations too. "They're gonna throw. Let me call a timeout and freeze these fuckers. Yeah! That'll work."

The NFL is full of coaches that love to "follow a trend". I don't know who the first NFL coach was to "call a timeout" just as the ball was being snapped, but once that happened every coach in the NFL was going to soon follow.
The act is a joke.
If a coach has to "follow" what everybody else does, then that coach probably should be shown the exit door.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:
The NFL is full of coaches that love to "follow a trend". I don't know who the first NFL coach was to "call a timeout" just as the ball was being snapped, but once that happened every coach in the NFL was going to soon follow.
The act is a joke.
If a coach has to "follow" what everybody else does, then that coach probably should be shown the exit door.
I'm pretty sure it was Shannahan a few years ago, and it worked. Since then it's been standard practice. There have been a couple notable backfires...

Poor old Joe Gibbs trying to call back to back timeouts in the game after Sean Taylor died. Payton's idiotic "I'll give the Falcons a second shot" move. And a couple more.

But they'll keep doing it. Because it does work sometimes.

I still can't believe Payton tried calling a timeout before the Cowboys kicked the 59-yarder. Seriously...what's the point?

If the refs had seen it, the Cowboys would have had a second chance. Or they might have decided to go for it on 4th and 10 instead.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Machado wrote:
The act is a joke.
I'm pretty sure it was Shannahan a few years ago, and it worked. Since then it's been standard practice. There have been a couple notable backfires...

Poor old Joe Gibbs trying to call back to back timeouts in the game after Sean Taylor died. Payton's idiotic "I'll give the Falcons a second shot" move. And a couple more.

I still can't believe Payton tried calling a timeout before the Cowboys kicked the 59-yarder. Seriously...what's the point?

If the refs had seen it, the Cowboys would have had a second chance. Or they might have decided to go for it on 4th and 10 instead.
Yes, it was a Shanahan innovation. The following week the Raiders pulled it on the Browns. I wanna say it was the 2006 season.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
WTF

Post by WTF »

Crazy Levi wrote:

But that's the thing. It DOESN'T work. The kicker probably would have missed it on those occasions anyway, whether there was a TO called or not. Calling a timeout doesn't make a kicker miss any more than calling a timeout in basketball before someone takes a free throw would work.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

WTF wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

But that's the thing. It DOESN'T work. The kicker probably would have missed it on those occasions anyway, whether there was a TO called or not. Calling a timeout doesn't make a kicker miss any more than calling a timeout in basketball before someone takes a free throw would work.
It has worked on several occasions, especially when it was first "discovered," now not so much because special teams coaches have kickers prepared for it. But that 1st season we saw it used, it worked rather well. The first time Shanahan pulled it out the entire NFL has a "WTF" moment.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Tymaster wrote:
WTF wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

It has worked on several occasions, especially when it was first "discovered," now not so much because special teams coaches have kickers prepared for it. But that 1st season we saw it used, it worked rather well. The first time Shanahan pulled it out the entire NFL has a "WTF" moment.
The shock value has worn off on this tactic.
What a lot of coaches do now I ask for a TO just as the ball is being snapped.
What's the point of calling a TO at the very last possible moment?
Say the kicker makes the kick and the official does not grant the TO because he did not hear or see the signal? That is always possible.

I don't know if the league can abolish this stupid tactic or not. I hope they can and will soon because coaches only make themselves look stupid.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

WTF wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

But it DOES work sometimes...I've seen it with my own eyes. That doesn't mean it increases your chances...but on some occasions, the other team calls the last second timeout, the kicker "makes" the kick, is forced to rekick, and then misses.

Whether or not this is actually statistically effective doesn't matter. As long as a coach remembers it "worked" once, they'll keep doing it.

Until it backfires. Unless you are Sean Payton and you just keep doing it. Even on 59 yard attempts.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote: I don't know if the league can abolish this stupid tactic or not. I hope they can and will soon because coaches only make themselves look stupid.
I've been over this in my head many times...there is no way to "abolish" it.

The coach has to be able to call TO right up until the snap...especially for kicks. What if it looks like a fake? What if it is a fake?

The coach needs to be able to do it. There's no way to abolish it without giving the kicking team an unfair advantage.

I figured they'd just stop doing it once it backfired a few times, but I've been proven wrong so far.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Machado wrote: I don't know if the league can abolish this stupid tactic or not. I hope they can and will soon because coaches only make themselves look stupid.

The coach has to be able to call TO right up until the snap...especially for kicks. What if it looks like a fake? What if it is a fake?

The coach needs to be able to do it. There's no way to abolish it without giving the kicking team an unfair advantage.

I figured they'd just stop doing it once it backfired a few times, but I've been proven wrong so far.
I have the perfect scenario.
In the playoffs or SB, there will be a coach that will ask for that timeout and the move will backfire-
Costing the team a playoff win or SB win.
Now that would be justice and probably prevent another coach from making the stupid move again.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

I have the perfect scenario.
In the playoffs or SB, there will be a coach that will ask for that timeout and the move will backfire-
Costing the team a playoff win or SB win.
Now that would be justice and probably prevent another coach from making the stupid move again.
Might happen this year. I suspect to the Saints.
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

Pro bowl picks announced today.. Bummer Greg, seems the players, coaches and fans chose Brady over Peyton.. :lol:

NEW YORK (AP) — Michael Vick's sensational comeback has been spiced by a Pro Bowl start.

The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, who sat out two seasons while serving a federal sentence for dogfighting, will start for the NFC in the Jan. 30 Pro Bowl in Honolulu. The honor is yet another major step in Vick's resurgence.

Vick made three Pro Bowls with Atlanta before he was suspended by the league and served jail time for running a dogfighting ring. This season, he has gone from a seldom-used backup to the NFC's leading passer, the catalyst for Philadelphia's dynamic offense. The Eagles had five players selected.

Atlanta, which leads the NFC with a 12-3 record, had the most Pro Bowlers with seven, including quarterback Matt Ryan, receiver Roddy White and defensive end John Abraham.

New England (13-2), the AFC leader, had six Pro Bowlers, led by QB Tom Brady, the league's top passer who will make his sixth trip to the game — providing the Patriots don't make the Super Bowl. The game will be played the Sunday before the title game at Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

Baltimore, Green Bay and Dallas also had five players voted in by players, coaches and fans.

Four rookies were chosen, with DT Ndamukong Suh of Detroit a starter for the NFC. Cornerback Devin McCourty of New England, kick returner Marc Mariani of Tennessee and center Maurkice Pouncey of Pittsburgh made the AFC squad.

"It's a tremendous honor, obviously being a rookie and getting my feet wet in the NFL," Suh said. "I can't expect anything more ... it's only going to make me want to work harder to get back there again."

Altogether, there were seven first-timers on the NFC squad, 14 newcomers for the AFC.

The only teams not represented were Buffalo, Cincinnati, Seattle and Tampa Bay.

Also chosen from the Eagles were receiver DeSean Jackson, tackle Jason Peters, cornerback Asante Samuel and placekicker David Akers. Philadelphia was playing Minnesota on Tuesday night and Vick was not available before the game to comment.

The other Falcons were tight end Tony Gonzalez, fullback Ovie Mughelli, running back Michael Turner and special teamer Eric Weems.

Joining Brady in Honolulu from the Patriots will be McCourty; guard Logan Mankins, who missed a portion of the season in a contract dispute; linebacker Jerod Mayo; safety Brandon Merriweather; and nose tackle Vince Wilfork.

Starting for the NFC with Vick will be White and Detroit's Calvin Johnson at wide receiver, Dallas TE Jason Witten, Atlanta's Turner and Mughelli in the backfield, Peters and Carolina's Jordan Gross at tackle, the Giants' Chris Snee and Saints' Jahri Evans at guard, and Dallas center Andre Gurode.

On defense for the NFC will be ends Julius Peppers of Chicago and Abraham, tackles Suh and Jay Ratliff of Dallas, linebackers Clay Matthews of Green Bay, DeMarcus Ware of Dallas and Patrick Willis of San Francisco, cornerbacks Samuel and Charles Woodson of Green Bay, and safeties Nick Collins of Green Bay and Adrian Wilson of Arizona.

The NFC punter is Dallas' Mat McBriar, while Chicago's Devin Hester is the kick returner.

Backup quarterbacks for the NFC are Ryan and Drew Brees.

Joining Brady on the AFC's starting offense will be WRs Reggie Wayne of Indianapolis and Andre Johnson of Houston, TE Antonio Gates of San Diego, Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew and Houston fullback Vonta Leach, tackles Joe Thomas of Cleveland and Jake Long of Miami, guards Mankins and Kris Dielman of San Diego, and Jets center Nick Mangold.

The AFC starting defense features Indianapolis ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, Wilfork and Baltimore tackle Haloti Ngata, linebackers Ray Lewis of Baltimore, James Harrison of Pittsburgh and Cameron Wake of Miami, cornerbacks Darrelle Revis of the Jets and Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha, and safeties Troy Polamalu of Pittsburgh and Ed Reed of Baltimore.

Baltimore's Billy Cundiff is the placekicker, Oakland's Shane Lechler the punter, Mariani the kick returner and Montell Owens of Jacksonville the special teamer.

Colts QB Peyton Manning made his 11th Pro Bowl as a backup to Brady.

San Diego's Philip Rivers is the other AFC quarterback.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Good for Vick.

Got the shit beat out of him tonight though, didn't he? LOL at Trent Dilfer last week..."You have to wonder if Mike Vick is indefensible."

Just like their early 90s Vick, Randall Cunningham, just knock the shit out of him and he's not quite as dynamic. Simple formula, but it worked tonight and it will work in the playoffs.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Luminiferous wrote:
Colts QB Peyton Manning made his 11th Pro Bowl as a backup to Brady.

He's CO-HEADLINING with Phillip Rivers dude!

Come on...how could you leave that joke on the table for me?!?!
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

Tymaster wrote:Singletary GONE. They didn't even wait til Monday morning.
:lol:

You think Singletary dropped his pants in front of the owners when they fired him?

*Cues up Larry Pratt's "Pants On The Ground"*
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Dear Vikings. Thanks. Really.

The Bears.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

johnk5150 wrote:Dear Vikings. Thanks. Really.

The Bears.

Who wore those guys in purple helmets and where have they been all year? The Eagles eventually collapse was inevitable though. This throws a nice curve ball in the playoff race and makes Sunday all the more interesting.
HMJ
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by HMJ »

No shit, thank you Vikings. Now if the Packers can take care of da Bears....

Come on Saints/Pats super bowl!
"FUN'S OVER."
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Dear Vikings. Thanks for nothing. Really.

The Giants.
WTF

Post by WTF »

Seriously. How the fuck is Brandon Merriweather a Pro-Bowler?
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

I've heard he averages 235 and has 48 300 games.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Facedown wrote:I've heard he averages 235 and has 48 300 games.

saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Luminiferous wrote:Colts QB Peyton Manning made his 11th Pro Bowl as a backup to Brady.

Actually Peyton is co-headlining with Brady since they will get equal playing time, Rivers is merely the opening act..
WTF

Post by WTF »

Facedown wrote:I've heard he averages 235 and has 48 300 games.
Bravo, motherfucker. :lol:
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

WTF wrote:Seriously. How the fuck is Brandon Merriweather a Pro-Bowler?
There's a couple Pats defensive guys I'm really surprised about.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Jordan Gross (pictured below) made the Pro Bowl. :|

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Luminiferous wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
Luminiferous wrote:Colts QB Peyton Manning made his 11th Pro Bowl as a backup to Brady.

Actually Peyton is co-headlining with Brady since they will get equal playing time, Rivers is merely the opening act..
Peyton will definitely be available for the Pro Bowl as Indy will get bounced by Baltimore in the wild card round. If Brady ends up going to the Superbowl he won't be available for the Pro Bowl.
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Tymaster wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:Dear Vikings. Thanks. Really.

The Bears.

Who wore those guys in purple helmets and where have they been all year? The Eagles eventually collapse was inevitable though. This throws a nice curve ball in the playoff race and makes Sunday all the more interesting.
How do you figure that was a collapse? Vick had a bad game and was playing hurt most of it. It was great seeing Joe Webb get his dick sucked on national TV for two good passes and one good run, though. Talk about the media being starved for a story now that Far-vuh is done.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
LitaJett
Playing Frat Parties

Post by LitaJett »

SkyDog112046 wrote: Peyton will definitely be available for the Pro Bowl as Indy will get bounced by Baltimore in the wild card round. If Brady ends up going to the Superbowl he won't be available for the Pro Bowl.

If the Colts even make the playoffs. They will beat the Steelers if they drop to a lower seed, but Baltimore's defense will make a joke out of Manning and his "offensive weapons".