Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by JakeYonkel »

Sheffield's already under contract, what are they looking at?
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Yeah, I'll edit that and try and figure out what saw.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Well, there was buzz about the Rangers potentially being interested in Sheff.

Sounds like a great move for Texas - another hitter.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

JakeYonkel wrote:Well, there was buzz about the Rangers potentially being interested in Sheff.

Sounds like a great move for Texas - another hitter.
That was it. It may have been the Rangers interested in Johnson too.

Diamondbacks sign Felipe Lopez
Twins resign Nick Punto
ChiSox sign Wilson Betemet
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

The new Red Sox unis:

Holy fuck, the Sox really ARE trying to be the Yankees.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

They don't look horrendous. At least they're only alternate uniforms.

The Yankees may have torn down the Stadium, but you know they'll always wear pinstripes.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Yeah, the hats are going to have the socks instead of the B. I don't think I'll get used to that.
The road unis were always boring and any change is welcomed, but they're still boring.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I guess it's also worth mentioning the only reason teams do these alternate jerseys are just a cash grab for fans that want to buy all these extra designs.

And yeah, taking the "B" off the hats is a stupid decision. Don't fuck with tradition.

Nothing is going to be worse than their bright red alternate home jerseys, though.
bighairdiscs
Recording Debut Album

Post by bighairdiscs »

I don't mind the alternate road jersey.... I actually think it looks pretty decent. I have hated the red alternate home jersey since they first introduced it........ I HATE HATE HATE the "hanging sox" logo hat - Don't fuck with the "B"!!!!!!!
BlairSurfInvasion wrote:The lesson here is that if you listen to hair metal in 2007 you are going to have to pay a price, and the currency is ridicule.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

tin00can wrote:The new Red Sox unis:

Looks like the road unis from the 80s.

I wonder if this incarnation will have the uneven "BO" button split.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

thejuggernaut wrote:

threadjack: What the fuck is up with that? Every jersey I own has that weird button split. Always wondered what the hell that was all about.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

bane wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

threadjack: What the fuck is up with that? Every jersey I own has that weird button split. Always wondered what the hell that was all about.
Road uniforms. In 1986 the Red Sox road jersey had a peculiar lettering with BO on one side of the buttons, and STON on the other (used since 1984?). In 1987 Rawlings undertook to manufacture all MLB uniforms, with their name on one sleeve. The Red Sox and (I believe) the Tigers and Yankees chose to not to use Rawlings for their home uniforms (the BoSox stayed with Wilson) but used Rawlings on the road. These had the more symmetrical BOS || TON lettering. However, some players, such as Clemens and Rice, disliked the fit of the Rawlings jerseys and continued to wear "last years model" during 87.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Raul Ibanez just signed with the Phils. Nice pick-up for the champs - and it also likely spells the end for Pat Burrell.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

tin00can wrote:The new Red Sox unis:

I can't wait for Joba or C.C. to throw a ball right between
those 2 red sox on the arm area of the jersey!!!
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Angels have offered Tex an 8 year deal worth at least 160mil.
Mets trade Scott Schoeneweis and cash to the Diamondbacks for Connor Robertson.
Hootchietoad
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hootchietoad »

Just wondering what you guys think...

Will Manny get $20 million/year like he had with the Sox options? The big signings thus far have been pitchers, and the Yanks and Mets (two of the five or six teams with deep enough pockets for Manny) have already spent quite a bit. Does he end up signing with the Dodgers, even after his bitch comments after their last game...not that he cares since he's a bitch. I just can't see a non big market team risking that amount of money on a 36 year old player with limited defensive skills. So where does Boras send him?
Image Image
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

I don't know but he's not helping himself by running his mouth.
He has said he will retire if a "respectable" offer isn't made (apparently 2yrs/45mil isn't) yet he says he will play this season and wants to play until he at least reaches 700 HR's.
No matter where he goes, he won't have the freedom he had in Boston and he'll be crying about it before too long.
The Cusack
Better Off Dead

Post by The Cusack »

Baseball needs a salary cap now if for no other reason than I'm tired of seeing the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets compete in the annual winter pissing contest to see who can spend the most money. In addition, it will bring greater parity to the league in the same way it has for the NFL.
Damsel-in-Distress wrote:Taime Downe=pork sausage in a goth wrapper.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Phillies resign Moyer for 2 years and sign Chan Ho Park for 1.
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Facedown wrote:Phillies resign Moyer for 2 years and sign Chan Ho Park for 1.
Park will compete with Kyle Kendrick/Carlos Carrasco for the 5 spot. I would have liked to see them be more aggressive in getting some pitching, but I think they feel they have a solid rotation.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Sorry, been away for a bit. There is a lot to discuss which I will chime in on shortly.

Numero uno. I fucking hate the "hanging Sox" new logo. I understand the change from a logistical perspective, for marketing purposes it's pure genius. Sell it to "Red Sox Nation", etc. From a fan perspective it's dispicable. Williams, Stahl, Cronin, Foxx, Young were just disrespected. Fuck this new Empire shit.

MFY, what happened last time you threw insane amounts of money around? Got rings.....this century? Looking forward to AJ's 15 starts net season.

It's being reported that the MFY will sign Manny if they don't get the first baseman's whose name I still can't fucking spell ( T...something ). Better hope for 20 SOs a game, because that outfield defense will be atrotious.

Moyer is worth two more years. They have a chapter on him in Moneyball. The guy is an anomally. Phils' have made all the right moves.

Krod say's that the Mets "are the team to beat". Nope, sorry. That mantle falls with the Phils.

More later. I have to make some phone calls right now.

Let's go Baseball........2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

If the Yanks signed Manny... then for pure shits and giggles I would love to see them, if for just one inning, have an outfield of Manny in left, Damon in center, and Matsui in right.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

It's interesting that's for sure.

It's been reported in Rotoworld that Burnett was heavily recruited by Traitor and Arod. That's where he took Boston of his "potential destinations" list. That and an overpaid 5 year contract couldn't hurt either.

It's going around that the Mighty Red Sox have made a pretty big offer to the "T" first baseman. Actually a lot of teams have. With Boston's scenario though, it raises a lot of questions. What to do with Lowell ( whom I love ), but was given a ridiculous contract given his age? Lars Anderson is like two years tops from being Major League ready.

I understand Ortiz's frustraion with needing another BIG bat around him in the line-up, and you couldn't have done better than Bay. I just disagree with Remy's statement that if Manny was still here. We would've beaten Tampa.....then eventually Philly. Philly was just ready. They had proper scouting that we didn't have. Longoria likes FBs high.....don't throw them there. Pena likes them low.....don't throw them there.

Regardless if Manny is argueably the best RHH in Baseball. I don't think he is the deal breaker anymore, he wasn't in 2004, Foulke was. Whomever gets him. Scocissa ( sp I know ) is saying Anaheim is going to make a serious run at him.

I still think it would be funny to see him in NY. He would kill that place....he kills anywhere. He's just too much of a primaddona.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

FUCK JAMIE MOYER! :evil:
Fuck sigs.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Most Yankee fans want nothing to do with Manny. I guess if you could have the production without the bullshit, maybe. Otherwise NY has had enough 1B-DH-OF types, without adding another one for $25M.

And if the Red Sox get Teixeira, it's simply to keep him away from NY. They have no need for him whatsoever.

He's going to wind up getting hugely overpaid if he approaches $200M.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:Most Yankee fans want nothing to do with Manny. I guess if you could have the production without the bullshit, maybe. Otherwise NY has had enough 1B-DH-OF types, without adding another one for $25M.

And if the Red Sox get Teixeira, it's simply to keep him away from NY. They have no need for him whatsoever.

The Angels offered him eight years, and I'm assuming it is in the neighborhood of $160-180 million. Eff him if he doesn't take it. He really isn't worth it but he's the prime hitter available. If he doesn't bite, the Angels should go after Dunn. Lower OPS but more HR power, probably available for half the price and for a three-year deal.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Tex is a great player and would make any line-up better. OTOH he's a notoriously slow starter, highly overpriced, and looking at his hit charts. I'm not sure how many homers to left wouldn't just be doubles off the Monster. Or deep drives to right being turned into outs.

He has a career OPS of .919 and a road of .869, geez inflate much? If the rumored contract offers are true it's frightening. I would love for Lowell to have a comeback 2009, but that's an even bigger question mark. If the Mighty Red Sox stand pat this off-season, without adding another big bat. I don't see how we could compete with Tampa, who has some post-season experience, are still hungry, and will be adding David Price to the rotation. While I'm still not conviced the MFY are the team to beat, they're certainly going to be better.

It's a catch22 really. Do you really want to see the "fall back" options? I'm still trying to forget Clement, Wells, Renteria, Lugo, etc. I fear it will be a repear of last season. A bunch of on base machines without a lot of XBH when they're needed. Sigh.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

JakeYonkel wrote:Most Yankee fans want nothing to do with Manny. I guess if you could have the production without the bullshit, maybe. Otherwise NY has had enough 1B-DH-OF types, without adding another one for $25M.

Massive fan of the Yankees here-
I can say with ease that I don't want manny on my team. No thanks. Let him play elsewhere.

As for tex going to the red sox, where will youk play? Just wondering.
I hope the sox get him for 10 yrs. That will be a contract that will never, ever pay enough dividends.

Talk about a player being hugely overpaid. tex would qualify for that
with ease!!
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:

Massive fan of the Yankees here-
I can say with ease that I don't want manny on my team. No thanks. Let him play elsewhere.

As for tex going to the red sox, where will youk play? Just wondering.
I hope the sox get him for 10 yrs. That will be a contract that will never, ever pay enough dividends.

Talk about a player being hugely overpaid. tex would qualify for that
with ease!!
I imagine Youks would play third base, his original position. :lol:

No team signing Tex will have it pay itself off. Boras is killing teams and the market with this shit. I was reading that all the box seats haven't been sold yet in new MFY Stadium. Plus some commercial time on YES has been backed out on because of the recession. They were saying that if it continues NY will have to slash payroll. I'll find the link and post it later.

It's shit like that is why Baseball needs a fucking salary cap. Holliday is one of Boras' clients too. He hits FA soon. Imagine what the demands will be for his contract. Home/Road splits aside.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Licketysplit wrote:
killeverything wrote:Tex is a great player and would make any line-up better. OTOH he's a notoriously slow starter, highly overpriced, and looking at his hit charts. I'm not sure how many homers to left wouldn't just be doubles off the Monster. Or deep drives to right being turned into outs.

He has a career OPS of .919 and a road of .869, geez inflate much? If the rumored contract offers are true it's frightening. I would love for Lowell to have a comeback 2009, but that's an even bigger question mark. If the Mighty Red Sox stand pat this off-season, without adding another big bat. I don't see how we could compete with Tampa, who has some post-season experience, are still hungry, and will be adding David Price to the rotation. While I'm still not conviced the MFY are the team to beat, they're certainly going to be better.

It's a catch22 really. Do you really want to see the "fall back" options? I'm still trying to forget Clement, Wells, Renteria, Lugo, etc. I fear it will be a repear of last season. A bunch of on base machines without a lot of XBH when they're needed. Sigh.
The Sox have a kid in A ball (Lowell) named Will Middlebrooks who should be the regular 3B in a few years. I saw him play at the Futures at Fenway game last summer, and he is everything advertised and then some - he has great "baseball instincts" and was always in the right place at the right time. Very patient at the plate with good pop(which is developing) - he accounted for all the runs in the game I saw. Comparisons are Scott Rolen and Cal Ripken

Scouting Report: Excellent five-tool athlete - probably the best talent selected by the Red Sox in the 2007 draft. Great baseball frame with very quick wrists. Open stance, holds his hands high above his head. Struggles with inside pitches, but otherwise makes pretty good contact. His tendency to over-pull the ball is steadily improving. High power potential, not so much present power. Above average speed for a 3B. In the field, he has pretty good hands, a rocket arm, and his range might be slightly above average for a 3B. He played both SS and 3B in high school - the Sox initially thought of utilizing Middlebrooks as a SS, but he has strictly played 3B in games. He should ultimately prove to be an exceptionally athletic 3B. Hard worker, has shown great improvement early in his pro career. Also pitched in high school - Middlebrooks likely could have been on an MLB-track as a pitcher had he decided to go that route.
That's great but he's a prospect. No pun intended, but you can't really "bet the farm" on it. Sometimes it works. Buchholz is touted as the best pitching prospect since Clemens. Let's see there's a No Hitter, and then? Ellsbury is over-rated as fuck and should of been trade bait. And then?

Remember Todd Van Poppel? Kevin Maas? Billy Beane ( pre-GM years )? It takes a lot of luck to build a competitive team with prospects like the Rays.