Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:Kenley Jensen and LAD agree to 5/80m deal. Dodgers also close to 4 year deal with Justin Turner.

Wow, totally expected Jensen to jump ship. Now if Turner signs the Dodgers will have avoided a painful loss. I thought they'd both be gone.

Take the 2014 Dodgers douche bag roster compared to 2016. Hanley, Crawford, Dee Gordon just as he roided to the Fish, Uribe and spanking Puigy then add in Roberts all it has transformed the clubhouse into a less drama filled better atmosphere more likable team. I hated most of that roster a few years back and it sound like the players like it more.

But thanks to dicks like Theo in the Boston deal, LAD is still on the hook for 21M+ for releasing Crawford unless someone picks him up I think...Last I heard he was talking to Tampa and Houston.

But that sums up the Dodgers, half their Payroll is never on the field let alone the team. Contracts are fucking weird. I'd love to still be collecting a check from my old job when I was traded.

------------------------------------------------

You know Steve Young gets well over a million a year from a contract he signed with the USFL in the early 80's? Talk about milk money, 43 year payout, still going and increases each year!

Of course.......Bobby Bonilla will get a million a year for fucking the Met's until 2035! He was released in 99!

Mets ownership decided against a simple buyout of the remaining $5.9 million from his contract, instead opting to delay payment 11 years and then mete it out (with interest) over a 25-year period. As it turns out, the interest on nearly $6 million is rather hefty. When all is said and done, the Mets will pay Bonilla nearly $30 million over 25 years for doing absolutely nothing. That's a Killer B.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

UtahRatt wrote:
killeverything wrote:Kenley Jensen and LAD agree to 5/80m deal. Dodgers also close to 4 year deal with Justin Turner.

Wow, totally expected Jensen to jump ship. Now if Turner signs the Dodgers will have avoided a painful loss. I thought they'd both be gone.

Take the 2014 Dodgers douche bag roster compared to 2016. Hanley, Crawford, Dee Gordon just as he roided to the Fish, Uribe and spanking Puigy then add in Roberts all it has transformed the clubhouse into a less drama filled better atmosphere more likable team. I hated most of that roster a few years back and it sound like the players like it more.

But thanks to dicks like Theo in the Boston deal, LAD is still on the hook for 21M+ for releasing Crawford unless someone picks him up I think...Last I heard he was talking to Tampa and Houston.

But that sums up the Dodgers, half their Payroll is never on the field let alone the team. Contracts are fucking weird. I'd love to still be collecting a check from my old job when I was traded.

------------------------------------------------

You know Steve Young gets well over a million a year from a contract he signed with the USFL in the early 80's? Talk about milk money, 43 year payout, still going and increases each year!

Of course.......Bobby Bonilla will get a million a year for fucking the Met's until 2035! He was released in 99!

Mets ownership decided against a simple buyout of the remaining $5.9 million from his contract, instead opting to delay payment 11 years and then mete it out (with interest) over a 25-year period. As it turns out, the interest on nearly $6 million is rather hefty. When all is said and done, the Mets will pay Bonilla nearly $30 million over 25 years for doing absolutely nothing. That's a Killer B.

I don't know if you could call Theo a dick in that one. When Magic and his buddies bought the team they were going to do whatever they could to make a splash. Making a splash involves bringing someone like Adrian Gonzalez aboard.

You don't get Agonz without picking up Crawford too. There was no one in their farm or team, and I'm just going by memory here ( sans Kershaw ) worth Gonzalez. They paid a lot but became competitive fast from it.

I thought bringing in Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidai, and Josh Byrnes was brilliant for the FO. So was getting rid of Mattingly ( :lol: Mattingly ) and replacing him with Roberts.

Now they're pretty loaded in the intl.' draft and are practically bring back the same team as last season. There is still the Puig dilemma, but Roberts manages it pretty well. It sucks but LAD is primed to win the Series in the not too distant future.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

****Los Angeles Dodgers sign Justin Turner 4/$64 million****

Jansen and Turner locked is game on. But I'm not sure about all that WS, I picture them being more of the same, competitive and unlike last year, I think the Giants wont falter this time around, break the streak and win the West with LAD in a stupid WC.

Until they can play the REDSOX's and get a good Sale-Price on another SP.....I mean nail down 3 in the rotation or at least 2 not named Clayton who can get to the 7th from time to time. Good luck.

I've been fearing Kershaw's back for 3 seasons, it hit last year. Backs issues don't normally go away but LAD can't go into the playoff's every year counting on and burning out 1 or 2 pitchers. They've missed that 3rd SP let alone number 2 last season. They're loaded with back end starters including the ones still wounded, RYU seems like a distant memory. maybe the help will come with the young guys or Rook's....Julio Urias, Jose De Leon...Kenta Maeda

Is Hill a solid pitcher? Add Scott Kazmir to the mix doesn't impress me....They needed a Cueto! Dam Giants. Grenke, dam Grenke Dbacks....How would Cueto or Grenke have changed the NLCS, instead backing couple rookies.

----------------------------------------------

The same team from last year?.......Playing tag as they come and go off the disabled list, 15 Starting pitchers worked till the postseason. They need a power RH bat and until Peterson can hit his weight the outfield is over loaded with platoons. Maybe Toles can step up but as you said, Puigy is a quirk who could solve the problem, but he is the problem. OF Question marks.

Agon's numbers I think are finally on the way down, hard to knock the guy he's been solid as they come, almost 160 games, around 100RBI's, .290avg every season for a decade has been monstrous for a such a likable guy, ya, he was worth Crawfish. Still the RBI guy, his HR's are down and I think his seasons are numbered in Blue. Got a Farm Boy to break in.

Seager is the only shot at a HR guy but they still need someone to hit off lefty's.

I dig Utley, but they don't have a lead off or any speed. Last in SB's? Last vs Lefty's? There's still talks of going after Frazer and moving Turner to 2nd but I don't think it's gonna happen....Naaaaaaaaaa.

You was right about several things, the Magic group came in and blindly threw money at the team for a couple seasons, Friedman and company stabilized them as a system. I was wrong on Roberts as well, he did a great job, came a long way during the season worked the injuries and the Pen like a champ but the playoff I questioned some final moves. He used a little of Don tactics in the Post but he clearly pulled off some magic beating the Nat's and giving the Cubs a few games. Better run then Don would have....2 games from the WS with that MASH unit, can't argue with the guy. Roberts earned his award. He's the Man. I'm a believer.

With the Nat's improving, the CUBcakes and the Giants, the Dodgers are still a few players away from taking them on. Now watch the season be a blow out and the D-backs come to life.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Aside from Boston every team on paper has question marks, but this upcoming season is going to be good.

I'm not trying to hate on Chicago, but don't think they would have beat SF if it went to 5. I also don't think they would have beaten a healthy Cleveland, but who knows? That's why they play the games.

The FA market this year was pretty weak. LAD is in win now mode since they're not getting any younger. Age is going to hit the Giants soon too.

AZ was an anomally last season. I always expect them to be better though. Washington loses Hairflip boy in two years too.

In fact ( memory here ) the only teams loaded for the near and distant future I can think of is the Yankees and Cubs.

It's win now all across the board. I just believe Friedman can pull it off. The guy is another Theo, he just finally has the money Theo has always had to play with.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

20 yr. old MFY LHP prospect Alexander Figuredo was shot and killed in his hometown in Venezula.

Bad year for prospects. MLB has made a new rule to disallow the hazing where rookies are made to wear school girl uniforms, etc.

Now, before everyone gets up in arms about how pussified mlb is getting ( it is ) this is the backlash from this incident:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-ra ... 55315.html

8 Rangers prospects face criminal charges from forcibly masturbating teamate in hazing incident :shock: :? This fucking happened. Apparently this happened to the younger ( underage ) brother of TX 2B Rougned Odor, also named Rougned Odor. The Odors have an uncle named Rouglas Odor with a son named Rouglas Odor.

Yeah, you can't make this shit up. Anyways, since I'm the only one to do it, I'm gonna ask the question on everyone's minds ( you know it is. Sick bastards ). How the hell do you masturbate someone else? Wouldn't the verb change?

Anyhoo, this is why we can't have nice things.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:Aside from Boston every team on paper has question marks, but this upcoming season is going to be good.

I'm not trying to hate on Chicago, but don't think they would have beat SF if it went to 5. I also don't think they would have beaten a healthy Cleveland, but who knows? That's why they play the games.

The FA market this year was pretty weak. LAD is in win now mode since they're not getting any younger. Age is going to hit the Giants soon too.

AZ was an anomally last season. I always expect them to be better though. Washington loses Hairflip boy in two years too.

In fact ( memory here ) the only teams loaded for the near and distant future I can think of is the Yankees and Cubs.

It's win now all across the board. I just believe Friedman can pull it off. The guy is another Theo, he just finally has the money Theo has always had to play with.
There's still a lot that will happen between now and opening day but.....

The only thing not getting younger on the Dodgers is Kershaw at 28. They went into the Post with 7 Rookies. From what I've read the best on the farm is looking at a one or two more years spit out...Trade bait knowing LAD. But as for now.

The Rotation is set to add 3 rook's from last year, Kenta Maeda being a 28yr Jap rook, 3rd in the ROY.
One might be headed to the Pen and De Leon will crack time in this season.

The field is looking to keep Toles (LF) and bring up Barnes (C, 2B, 3B)....Add that to Seager and Peterson, they're younger then any year I can remember. With Howie gone and Utley probably not coming back. That leaves Agon and Turner over 30 with Grandal at 28...Two of which have youngsters looking to take over like Cody Bellinger.

If they don't land a 2b man and Utley isn't Plan C, they're talking about bring up Will Calhoun.

Really it's a crap shoot and too early to call but they look like a young team going into the season. They do have 10+ under contract who will be mid 30's at the end of their service but they always end getting traded to the A's or somewhere else.

Then again, I'm still fresh at paying more attention to the farm system, I get to watch their Rookie team in my back yard but after that it's the conflicting reports I have to go by. I hear they've built a deep system but I don't have a lot of knowledge with each site having a different opinion.

Do you have a reliable site to look at your farm team or just jump around and put them together like I do?
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

As for the D-Backs, they're like the Padres to me, I'm tired of their off season pushes so until they make it to the break on a hot streak I don't count them as contenders. Broken systems......

I still like the Rockies but they're the Rockies...They started to make a push then Story went down. Glad they finished in 3rd ahead of the rest, It tough to to play in Coors Field anyway, add a couple pieces to their pen with that line up and they could beat up some teams IMO.

The Giants picking up Melancon is huge but I think they should have kept Romo? Still think they need a bat but I'm not sure what they've been up to.

No question, they close down that inning they win game 5.

------------------------

I want to add, thanks to the Giants and Yankees with Melancon and Chapman contracts that set the FAT table for Jansen's. They'll make more then Rivera did in his life time........ESPN, Baseball has gone cuckoo for closers.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1826 ... oo-closers

They are supposed to be the baseball equivalent of a seal, that little bit of wax poured onto a finished letter and pressed with a stamp to denote that which is finished. Firemen. Stoppers. Closers. Whatever you want to call them, they are all the rage in the free-agent marketplace.
Here's some perspective from ESPN's Jayson Stark: "Dollars for Kenley Jansen, Aroldis Chapman & Mark Melancon in the last week: $228 million. Total dollars Mariano Rivera earned: $169 million."
---------
Not big on Stark but I don't think that perspective takes in some other considerations like revenue. Adjusting for inflation 2017 dollars are a lot different then 2012 or even 2014......Even the Dodgers payroll is sickening to look at but they just cracked a list that's owned by all the Yankee years of 2003-2010 and 2013.

Plus it's a different game, proven RP's is another way to win. I think it's weak RP's are laying down that much money but it's Trendy!

Not to mention I don't think the combined salary of Kenley Jansen, Aroldis Chapman & Mark Melancon will have paid for Rivera's year long Farewell Tour, Statue, Monument and crying on the mound party!
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

UtahRatt wrote:
I want to add, thanks to the Giants and Yankees with Melancon and Chapman contracts that set the FAT table for Jansen's. They'll make more then Rivera did in his life time........ESPN, Baseball has gone cuckoo for closers.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1826 ... oo-closers

They are supposed to be the baseball equivalent of a seal, that little bit of wax poured onto a finished letter and pressed with a stamp to denote that which is finished. Firemen. Stoppers. Closers. Whatever you want to call them, they are all the rage in the free-agent marketplace.
Here's some perspective from ESPN's Jayson Stark: "Dollars for Kenley Jansen, Aroldis Chapman & Mark Melancon in the last week: $228 million. Total dollars Mariano Rivera earned: $169 million."
---------
Not big on Stark but I don't think that perspective takes in some other considerations like revenue. Adjusting for inflation 2017 dollars are a lot different then 2012 or even 2014......Even the Dodgers payroll is sickening to look at but they just cracked a list that's owned by all the Yankee years of 2003-2010 and 2013.

Plus it's a different game, proven RP's is another way to win. I think it's weak RP's are laying down that much money but it's Trendy!

Not to mention I don't think the combined salary of Kenley Jansen, Aroldis Chapman & Mark Melancon will have paid for Rivera's year long Farewell Tour, Statue, Monument and crying on the mound party!
The game is way different now. Especially with the Bill James/Sabermetric revolution. Such as Maden bringing the Williams Shift back to popularity when he was in Tampa ( especially when facing Ortiz ). It cracks me up Girardi constantly bitching about it, but leading all mlb managers in it's use. Silly Yankees.

Baseball Prospectus did a very good article over ten years ago on how it's better to use your closer ( or best bullpen pitcher ) in high leverage situations, rather than just the save ( happened this postseason with both Miller and Chapman ). If that becomes the norm though, I could see the MLBPA stepping in. It will fuck with players getting their save stat.

I agree with both sides. The fact is ( or what I "think" will/should be a fact. I feel WAR highly undervalues relief pitchers/closers. With how the game is now with free agency and no salary cap the Billy Beanes of the game have to get smart to win. I personally dig the fuck out of that aspect. It's fun.

I have no issue with Rivera's farewell tour. There will never be another player like him. He was truly one of a kind. It's not like Jordan vs. Kobe vs. Lebron, or whatever. No one will ever come close to what that dude accomplished while remaining completely humble the whole time.

The issue I have is the Capt. farewell tour. Give me a fucking break. You had 3,000 hits. Never in the MVP top 10. You were known because you were a Yankee. You had some big postseason moments. A year long tour?

Same goes for Ortiz. Bigger postseasons than Jeter, but a year long retirement tour? Get the fuck out of here.

When Ruth, Mays, Dimaggio, Williams, Ryan, etc. left the game they tipped their hat their last AB and were done.

Damn kids. With their "music" and retirement tours.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Retirement tours are stupid IMO but I joke about them more than I give a shit, I know a lot of fans dig it. I didn't like him and hate the team. He was a player, a closer, not KISS! Start your goodbyes the last home games or whatever but a YEAR LONG TOUR. Find it crazy, but whatever sells more stuff.
Admittedly he was something special as a player and personality it helps when you play in NY with more chances to win and as he was talked about every night for a decade on the recaps and I tip my hat for what he did on the field. But the Yankees Touring shows have turned into a circus. On top of all their special events, holiday's, candle vigils, fireworks and shit they come up with.

---------------------------
I loved Todd Helton's exit, didn't want anything other than a quite exit and to say thank you to the fans and goodbye...He refused the Rockies to hold anything big. I'll never forget Vin Scully giving him a farewell in his last game at LA. That's class.

I haven't really looked at Helton's track record if he's HOF worthy? Now that everything is about stats and sabermetrics, popularity and who you BLOW. Bud fucking Selig? really?
I'd say yes without even looking YES, I watched Helton come up, seen his first games, watched him replace Galarraga, what he meant and did for the team and the best player the Rockies ever had. Spent his career there. But he wasn't flamboyant and drew attention like Hair Flip that would gain him more votes. I doubt he would even talk about going in, "that's up to the voters it would be an honor tho" I'm sure would be his response....Think I read it before.

But it's reasons like that why I respect and liked players like Helton or say Eddie Murray over Rivera. Guess I can't blame him for how NYY players are put on a pedestal and their bandwagon moronic fans praise their gods.
-------------------------

On another subject, no salary cap is ugly, always has been. I've felt bad for small market teams and such that can't buy or lure in players. Hated watching NYY every year buying up every all star and sprint to the finish line. Then Hated when Boston jumped in the spending game and when Magic started doing it in Dodger land.

SaberAsterisksss brought an interesting aspect to the game but now that it's caught on it's becoming harder and there's a constant look at different ways to win like with the Bull Pen. RP's I mentioned at this rate I can see trickle down making younger players want to come out of the pen. I'm afraid to think what it will be like in a decade or two, Starting Pitchers will go 4 innings to save arms......Who knows what comes next. Still hate replay and the new rules that come up each season now. Just hate change in the game, leave it alone but make it fair to other teams.

I miss the starter and closer days.

I would like to see some sort of a cap put in place but if it happens and when the owners start banking I'd like to see the revenue go back into baseball through a sharing program of such. Were clearly not going to see lower ticket prices! Of course I'd love to see that one talked about at an owners meeting.

I don't know what to think, or what's next, I see several ways to win the WS.....MONEY still rules IMO, the CUBS didn't do it without spending. The Sox's don't remain competitive on a low budget. LAD proved you can buy a competing team with the US Defense budget but not win the biggie.

Sabermetric or the Matrix revolution is going to turn into something all teams will tinker with making it hard and leading back to using the system and having the money to make the trades and moves I think.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Like I stated earlier, Rivera's retirement isn't something I "support" persay, but I understand it. That guy isn't a once in a generation player, he's a one in a billion. We'll never see that again. One pitch?

Helton is going to suffer from playing in the Selig era. Any other time, he's a no-brainer. Same with what we're going to see with Ivan Rodriguez, Piazza's delay, etc. Out of the steroid guys the two most contested are Clemens and Bonds.

Clemens refuses to admit it in any way. Clemens career was over until he started juicing. Barry says he did unknowingly. The difference between the two is Bonds didn't need it and possibly would have still passed Aaron. 73? Probably not.

Oh, for your question earlier about milb analysis. I just jump around. I used to buy the handbooks and stuff. As for rankings baseballamerica is hard to beat. For analysis I use hardballtimes and baseball reference. Most teams have a fan run site that's filled with it. Think sludge without the snark and fag metal.

Just fuck with google. Like, sbnation has some good ones. Lookout Landing ( Mariners ) used to feature Dave Cameron.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Rockies sign LHP Mike Dunn to 3/1 deal.

O's sign C Wellington Castillo to 1/6m deal.
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

Top 10 remaining free agents, per MLBTR:

With a number of this offseason’s top free agent market — Yoenis Cespedes, Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen — already off the board, here’s a look at what’s left as we head toward the holiday season. Here are the top 10 remaining players, with rankings via MLBTR’s top 50 list from early November.

2. Edwin Encarnacion. While closers have flown off the board in the last few weeks, the market for sluggers has been slower to develop. A variety of AL teams — including the Indians, Athletics, Rangers and Blue Jays — have been connected to Encarnacion, as have the Rockies and Cardinals in the NL. Thus far, there’s been little reported movement toward a deal, with many of Encarnacion’s potential suitors’ reported interest looking tepid at best.

8. Mark Trumbo. At this point, the Orioles likely have extended the best offer to their former slugger, with the Cardinals and Rockies also looming as possibilities. Trumbo is on the long list of sluggers the Indians have reportedly contacted, and the Mariners appear to be a possibility as well.

10. Ivan Nova. There’s been surprisingly little chatter about Nova even as free agent pitchers like Rich Hill and Jeremy Hellickson have disapppeared from the already poorly stocked starting pitching shelves. Of course, just because there’s little reported movement on a player doesn’t mean there isn’t interest, only that not all the interest has been reported. Pirates GM Neal Huntington says his team has been in touch with its former trade deadline acqusition, although it would be a small upset if the Pirates did sign Nova, due to their apparent budgetary issues. The Astros have been connected to a variety of hurlers, but at last check, they reportedly weren’t in on Nova.

12. Jose Bautista. As with Encarnacion, there doesn’t seem to be much good news for Bautista at the moment, who has been connected to a variety of teams that, for various reasons, aren’t likely to give him the sort of contract he might seek. The potential loss of a draft pick for signing Bautista appears likely to be problematic for some potential suitors as well. A return to the Blue Jays could make the most sense, as MLB.com’s Jon Morosi recently argued.

15. Jason Hammel. At last check, Hammel’s camp said there were ten teams pursuing its client. At present, there’s no telling who those teams might be. The Yankees and Marlins have been connected to Hammel, although it’s unclear how much interest the Marlins might still have after adding Edinson Volquez and Jeff Locke.

16. Matt Wieters. Wieters’ agent, Scott Boras, recently said his client might not sign until late in the offseason, since the market for catchers had been slow. Since then, the Orioles’ signing of Welington Castillo perhaps made it less likely Wieters would return to Baltimore. Fan Rag’s Jon Heyman tweeted today, though, that the Orioles could conceivably still sign Wieters — they like him, and they’ve benefited in the past from late-breaking deals like their 2014 signing of Nelson Cruz. The Braves (who were also connected to Castillo) and Rockies could still make sense as well.

20. Michael Saunders. The Indians reportedly offered Saunders a one-year deal, and the Orioles and Blue Jays have been connected to him as well. At least from the outside, though, Saunders’ market has been quiet.

21. Mike Napoli. Napoli joins a glut of offense-minded corner/DH types on this list, also including Encarnacion, Trumbo, Bautista and Saunders. (The presence of interesting secondary players like Brandon Moss, Chris Carter and Adam Lind also probably hasn’t helped get the market moving.) The Indians have been most strongly connected to Napoli recently.

23. Greg Holland. Unlike many players on this list, Holland could join any number of teams and not cause roster headaches. Bullpens are highly malleable. For that reason, there’s a long list of teams that could gamble on Holland’s upside as he returns from Tommy John surgery. As MLBTR’s Mark Polishuk noted last week, that list includes the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Giants, Red Sox, Indians, Rays, Mariners, Nationals, Padres, Twins, Mets, Phillies, Tigers, Blue Jays, Royals and Brewers, all of whom have shown at least some degree of interest.

24. Travis Wood. We’ve heard nothing about Wood since the Winter Meetings, when it emerged that the Cubs had been in touch with Wood about the possibility of re-signing. Wood reportedly wants another chance to start after a season in which he posted a 2.95 ERA, albeit with a modest 6.9 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9. One factor that could work in his favor in that quest is his hitting ability, which is well above average for a pitcher; for that reason, it wouldn’t be surprising if he wound up with an NL team.

Any predictions?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

At least Wood can play the outfield.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SF signs 17 year vereran Jimmy Rollins to minor league deal, with an invite to spring training.

Hair Flip Boy was married yesterday. No word on if his wife's hair is more fabulous yet.

There has been nothing going on.

As for Bautista and Encarcion, I think they both probably end up back in Toronto. Both ( eapecially Joey Bats ) have declined, are on the wrong side of 30, and have a #1 pick attatched.

The speculation ( from Ortiz, really ) was Boston signing Encarcion to replace him. A lot of analysts saw the MFY going after him too. There is no way Cashman is giving up that #1 pick and I'm not sure for Boston. Dombrowski isn't exactly known for his drafts.

There are a record 6 teams over the luxury tax this upcoming season. The money and picks tied to Bats, EE, and Trumbo is why things are moving so slow, if at all.

*ETA

Since Selig's complete and total bullshit HOF induction by the Veteran's committee, both Bonds and Clemens have seen a sizable jump in their induction numbers. A lot of writers saying that including Selig and excluding them is stupid.

I couldn't agree more. I'm against both being in, but you can't have Selig and not two players that are in the top 5 all time for their catagories.

Clemens needed PEDs to hit HOF numbers, Bonds didn't. I got into a discussion about Barry the other day. Some cat was saying he was the best hitter of all time.

No. He didn't reach 3,000 ( although all the IBB could be blamed for that ) struck out 1,539 times ( compared to Ruth 1,330; Aaron 1,383), career .298BAA ( Ruth .342, Aaron .305 ). Yeah, Barry was damn good. Without or without the Cream, but he wasn't the best.

Clemens wouldn't have HOF numbers if he didn't start up when Boston let him go.

I bring this up because Raines ( Yes! ), Bagwell ( yes ), Edgrrr ( yup ), and Mussina ( close, but no enchilda ) are all getting sizable jumps with Clemens and Bonds predicted to be in by 2021 ( no competition.

Thoughts?

*ETA II

Pirates and RHP Daniel Hudson agree to 2/11m.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Aaaannnddd it happened. Red Sox trade Clay Buchholz to Philly for 2B prospect Josh Tobias.

Indians ink Chris Colabello to a minor league deal.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/20/ ... -35-years/

At least he lived to collect once.

People are interesting. Craig was interesting.

$tevil
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

killeverything wrote:Aaaannnddd it happened. Red Sox trade Clay Buchholz to Philly for 2B prospect Josh Tobias.
It's about fucking time. Although, it's going to be like watching games in bizarro world with all the lefties.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

johnk5150 wrote:http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/20/ ... -35-years/

At least he lived to collect once.

People are interesting. Craig was interesting.
I love reading/hearing those kind of stories. They finally did it and he lived to see it. That kind of stuff is so cool.
Facedown wrote:
killeverything wrote:Aaaannnddd it happened. Red Sox trade Clay Buchholz to Philly for 2B prospect Josh Tobias.
It's about fucking time. Although, it's going to be like watching games in bizarro world with all the lefties.
I will never understand Buchholz. That dude looked like a solid #2 behind Lester to possibly a #1. Aside from the injuries he looked to be an Arriera and turned into a Kennedy.

Maybe the change of scenery will do him good. I think he's a #4 now.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

killeverything wrote:SF signs 17 year vereran Jimmy Rollins to minor league deal, with an invite to spring training.

Hair Flip Boy was married yesterday. No word on if his wife's hair is more fabulous yet.

As for Bautista and Encarcion, I think they both probably end up back in Toronto. Both ( eapecially Joey Bats ) have declined, are on the wrong side of 30, and have a #1 pick attatched.

The speculation ( from Ortiz, really ) was Boston signing Encarcion to replace him. A lot of analysts saw the MFY going after him too. There is no way Cashman is giving up that #1 pick and I'm not sure for Boston. Dombrowski isn't exactly known for his drafts.

There are a record 6 teams over the luxury tax this upcoming season. The money and picks tied to Bats, EE, and Trumbo is why things are moving so slow, if at all.

*ETA

Since Selig's complete and total bullshit HOF induction by the Veteran's committee, both Bonds and Clemens have seen a sizable jump in their induction numbers. A lot of writers saying that including Selig and excluding them is stupid.

I couldn't agree more. I'm against both being in, but you can't have Selig and not two players that are in the top 5 all time for their catagories.

Clemens needed PEDs to hit HOF numbers, Bonds didn't. I got into a discussion about Barry the other day. Some cat was saying he was the best hitter of all time.

No. He didn't reach 3,000 ( although all the IBB could be blamed for that ) struck out 1,539 times ( compared to Ruth 1,330; Aaron 1,383), career .298BAA ( Ruth .342, Aaron .305 ). Yeah, Barry was damn good. Without or without the Cream, but he wasn't the best.
Kinda hard to acquire a bunch of hits when no one will throw you a strike.

$tevil
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

johnk5150 wrote:
killeverything wrote:SF signs 17 year vereran Jimmy Rollins to minor league deal, with an invite to spring training.

*ETA

Kinda hard to acquire a bunch of hits when no one will throw you a strike.
Yeah, I don't hold the 3k against him dor that reason. The below .300BAA ( .298 is nothing to scoff at though ) and lots of strikeouts disqualifies him for alltime greatest hitter IMO.

Ivan Nova and Pirates agree to 3 year extension.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Edwin Encarcion signs 3/60m + option with Indians to replace Mike Napoli. Cleveland just got a lot tougher.

*ETA

SF signs Justin Ruggiano and Micheal Morse to a minor league deal.

I'm still thinking Bautista remains in Toronto. I think they'll resign him, especially to appease their fanbase since EE is gone.

EE in Cleveland gives them a scary advantage in a league where currently no one looks tougher than Boston, and Texas is Texas with presumably Darvish, Mazara, and Lucroy all season. Cleveland with an injured Kluber, no Carrasco, Josh Tomlin, and Trevor Bauer went all the way to game 7. The AL has at least one juggernaught in each division.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

With all the HOF ballots accounted for ( something like 73% • 12/31 deadline, 01/17 reveal ) it's said Tim Raines is going to be lock with both Bonds and Clemens possibly getting in this year. Barry has been on 74% so far.

Edgar Martinez, Jeff Bagwell, and Mike Mussina have been on the rise too.

Bagwell like Raines should have been in a while ago.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Holy shit.

Corey Seager led all SS with an .877OPS.

Talk about a breakout debut.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

unsure if the telecast is old or not but the other day, FS1 aired a special about Reggie Jackson, "the making of mr. october".
fun to see. nothing new in the special but it was refreshing to hear Reggie discuss his "straw that stirs the drink" comments
he made during the 77 season and how he was able to hit three home runs on three pitches later that season in the WS.

i tell you what, the footage that never gets old for me is at Boston, when Billy takes Reggie out of the game not for
hustling on the blooper to shallow RF. that is great footage and if those two would have actually been allowed to fight,
Billy might have gotten off a few shots but Reggie would have hurt him bad.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:unsure if the telecast is old or not but the other day, FS1 aired a special about Reggie Jackson, "the making of mr. october".
fun to see. nothing new in the special but it was refreshing to hear Reggie discuss his "straw that stirs the drink" comments
he made during the 77 season and how he was able to hit three home runs on three pitches later that season in the WS.

i tell you what, the footage that never gets old for me is at Boston, when Billy takes Reggie out of the game not for
hustling on the blooper to shallow RF. that is great footage and if those two would have actually been allowed to fight,
I saw that. I wanted to watch the one mlbn had on Rickey Henderson, but I forgot.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:
Machado wrote:unsure if the telecast is old or not but the other day, FS1 aired a special about Reggie Jackson, "the making of mr. october".

I saw that. I wanted to watch the one mlbn had on Rickey Henderson, but I forgot.
kill, the rickey special airs again. check your local listings
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:
killeverything wrote:

Yeah, I know it will. On Directv it says "To Be Announced" so I've had difficulties DVRing it.

Ricky's a fascinating player. I'll bet his story is funny with the only speaking in 3rd person shit.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:
Machado wrote:
killeverything wrote:
Yeah, I know it will. On Directv it says "To Be Announced" so I've had difficulties DVRing it.

Ricky's a fascinating player. I'll bet his story is funny with the only speaking in 3rd person shit.
i have Direct TV and the program aired tonight. just watched it. was very good. my major
knock is the highlights shown were the same over and over and over. repetitive.
harold reynolds and jimmy rollins had good stories.
the footage of him telling us all he is the greatest of all time never gets old. was hoping for
the Olerud story but nobody told it.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote: i have Direct TV and the program aired tonight. just watched it. was very good. my major
knock is the highlights shown were the same over and over and over. repetitive.
harold reynolds and jimmy rollins had good stories.
the footage of him telling us all he is the greatest of all time never gets old. was hoping for
the Olerud story but nobody told it.

I'll see the Henderson one eventually, I guess.

It sucks they don't show more highlights though. Rickey's entire career except his last couple of years was a fucking highlight reel. :lol: As for
the Olerud story, according to both parties it didn't really happen. That's unfortunate because it's a funny story.

Texas and Toronto are making more aggressive pushes to sign Mike Napoli and Jose Bautista.

Of the HOF ballots accounted for ( over half ) Tim Raines and Jeff Bagwell are getting in with Edgar Martinez getting a considerable push.

As I said before both Bonds and Clemens ( possibly ) will be getting in soon.

A lot of writers that have spoken still hold out on Clemens because Clemens needed PEDs to reach HOF level and Bonds didn't. We will see.

My opinion on PED users in the Hall is a lot of things except consistent.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Oakland brings back Rajah Davis on a 1/6m deal. I like this for the A's. They fill a need in CF and can flip him at the deadline.

AZ trade OF Peter O'Brien to Royals for RHP Sam Lewis.