Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by WOLF »

Machado wrote:Anybody care to predict how MLB will honor Jeter tonight?

Heard that for each at bat Bob Shepherd will be announcing Jeter

Heard another story that in the top of the 1st only Jeter will be standing on the field so the fans and players can applaud for him

Also heard that Jeter will be asked to play all 9 innings as a tribute but that
seems very unlikely.
I thought Selig said, today, that nothing was planned for the All-Star game, but MLB would do something later in the year, when the opportunity presented itself.

Even if there's nothing official, the fans, players, and managers can work things out, to show appreciation, if they so choose.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

You mean aside from letting him be the starting shortstop?

Before any of y'all start whining about "but it's his last season." In Chipper Jones' last season he didn't start the allstar game. Jones was a way better player than Jeter.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

If the AL winds up winning how does MLB figure out a way to give Jeter MVP?
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

johnk5150 wrote:If the AL winds up winning how does MLB figure out a way to give Jeter MVP?
I thought for sure. Trout ( rightfully so ) won it. Hey, maybe he should've won an AL mvp too.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:

Before any of y'all start whining about "but it's his last season." In Chipper Jones' last season he didn't start the allstar game. Jones was a way better player than Jeter.

Being he's a Yankee Jeter will probably stand on the mound crying for ten minutes then he'll give 3 curtain calls because the world revolves around the wankees.

That's the difference between players like Chipper Jones and Todd Helton.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

This is one more reason the ASG being meaningful sucks.

The ASG is an exhibition for the fans. It shouldn't be a serious game. Case in point, Wainwright ( retraction ) say's "jokingly" he grooved a pitch to Jeter. Then went on about his last AS game, etc. Jeter ( awesomely handled by the way ) said "if he grooved it thank you. Still gotta hit it." So what. I don't care if he did or didn't. It should be his choice and it shouldn't decide WS home field advantage.

In 2001 I remember watching the ASG including Cal Ripken's last at bat. I remember thinking "I hope he get's it right down the middle." Sure enough Chan Ho Park threw it right there and Ripken hit it out. Did Park intentionally give Cal a pitch to homer off of? I don't know and he still has to hit it out. I just think it sucks a pitcher now can't just give him a set if he chooses, out of respect and really for the fun of the game.

Having the ASG meaningful is like the hardcore, trying to make the team single A invites that try to take out opposing players on a slide in spring training. It's stupid.

That was a longwinded way to say Selig sucks.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:If the AL winds up winning how does MLB figure out a way to give Jeter MVP?
I thought for sure. Trout ( rightfully so ) won it. Hey, maybe he should've won an AL mvp too.
I'm glad Tout got it.
I caught Trout in AAA, LAA's farm is in SLC so I pulled up his Wiki to look at some AAA numbers and found something interesting.

From Wiki
"Trout" played baseball at the University of Delaware and was a fifth-round draft pick by the Minnesota Twins in 1983.

I didn't know Trout came up with Roger Clemens. Interesting wikifact.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:This is one more reason the ASG being meaningful sucks.
Totally disagree. Look at the embarrassment of a joke the NFL has turned into for starters. To the point the game is about to be erased.

Growing up they were games we looked forwarded too, the best against the best! Not this lallygagging through the tulips. Seeing how good your favorite pitcher does against a roster full of monsters was exciting.
Tonigh was still a decent game but to not make it meaningful....You'll end up with players jogging to first, not stealing a base or not throwing to get one out...or lobbing one down the middle.

Wished they could make it more meaningful.

So in my book........Wainwright got hammered in the first and there's nothing he could have done about it. Wished he got the L.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF/WHO/WHAT......Was that one hitter getting all pissed about? Hard to explain but he struck out and was acting all fired up over someone or something.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

[quote="UtahRatt"][quote="killeverything"]This is one more reason the ASG being meaningful sucks.[/quote]

Totally disagree. Look at the embarrassment of a joke the NFL has turned into for starters. To the point the game is about to be erased.

Growing up they were games we looked forwarded too, the best against the best! Not this lallygagging through the tulips. Seeing how good your favorite pitcher does against a roster full of monsters was exciting.
Tonigh was still a decent game but to not make it meaningful....You'll end up with players jogging to first, not stealing a base or not throwing to get one out...or lobbing one down the middle.

Wished they could make it more meaningful.

So in my book........Wainwright got hammered in the first and there's nothing he could have done about it. Wished he got the L.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF/WHO/WHAT......Was that one hitter getting all pissed about? Hard to explain but he struck out and was acting all fired up over someone or something.[/quote]

I only watched a couple innings so I don't know. As for the ASG being meaningful then why can't they challenge plays? Think of Jeter and McCutchen in the first. He looked safe, but in a normal game that would have been challenged.

I still think the ASG deciding home field fucking stupid.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:I only watched a couple innings so I don't know. As for the ASG being meaningful then why can't they challenge plays? Think of Jeter and McCutchen in the first. He looked safe, but in a normal game that would have been challenged.

I still think the ASG deciding home field fucking stupid.
So toss in the challenges. I bet they'll be added down the road. I want to see the best vs the best balls out who wins. Just looking at the Roster vs Roster is a stat fight I wanna see.

Maybe Matheny should have started Kershaw. Giving away home field advantage isn't a big deal...Or is it?

I wonder if Jeter called A-Rod after the game....SUP? Watch the game?
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Why the first inning was fun last night.

Retiring HOFer doubles.
Up and coming stuperstar triples him home.
Arguably the best current pure hitter homers.

All in a row.

$tevil
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

johnk5150 wrote:Why the first inning was fun last night.

Retiring HOFer doubles.
Up and coming stuperstar triples him home.
Arguably the best current pure hitter homers.

All in a row.
Well said, but let's not forget the current best ( and arguably all around best ) pitcher in AL's performance too. King Felix was King Felix.

I enjoyed the announcers talking about the King and stating he "didn't watch any videos of the 9 NL hitters before the game." That's another reason the game shouldn't decide homefield.

Think about McCutcheon beating Jeter's throw in the first. They're both laughing and pointing at each other over it, just having a good time. Wainwright's ( maybe intentional ) pitch selection to Jeter too. It's a stupid fan event don't make it meaningful.

Fuck Selig.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

The Jeter "ball washing" was such a fucking joke. They treat these guys like they're going to roll over and die the next day.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

ParaDime77 wrote:The Jeter "ball washing" was such a fucking joke. They treat these guys like they're going to roll over and die the next day.
By "these guys" you mean Yankees?

Today in 1941 Joe Dimaggio hit in his 56th consecutive game. You should have seen his retirement tour. Hopefully after this year this shit stops. Rivera, I get. He is the greatest of all time. Jeter? There is no way he ( the captain ) is going to be upstaged by a teammate, no way

Class.

Oh and I loved the tribute they did for Tony Gwynn.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about? I think nobody else on earth can say with a straight face that Jones was a way better player.
Jeter deserves all the praise he has been getting this year. Are you saying he is not worthy?

Let him start the game, let him?? Who exactly let him? Oh yeah, the fans because they get to vote. So I guess all the fans that voted were incorrect and should have voted for Chipper Jones!!!

Maybe if Chipper was popular who might have started the game. But he was not, therefore he's not better than Jeter.

Jeter is beloved
Chipper is disliked strongly by his peers

I rest my case
bang
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by bang »

HELP GET THE WORD OUT TO KEEP GOMES IN BOSTON. (Holt my be a better all around player, but a clubhouse prescence like Gomes has its value, ...no Gomes = no 2013 Championship....they won 10 of the 11 play off/ world series games he started)

https://facebook.com/pages/Red-Sox-Keep ... 62578?_rdr
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Is this a crazy idea? Give Buck and the rest of the broadcast team the night off and have Vin Scully call the game. Introduce the younger generation to the older generation . Plus I could actually listen to the broadcast .

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I had the game on with the sound down. Did fox do anything for Tony Gwynn?

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

johnk5150 wrote:I had the game on with the sound down. Did fox do anything for Tony Gwynn?
They did nothing and have been on "damage control" since.
A lot of backlash has come their way and well deserved.

The Fox announcers are easily the worst. The only support they have are from ultra conservatives in the mid-west.
Joe Buck is among the worst broadcasters in the game. His father may have been an all-time great, but Joe Buck certainly does not come close.

I love the idea of having Vin Scully call the game. He is superior to Joe Buck and despite the significant age difference, Scully could call the game and keep the viewers interested with ease.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:
killeverything wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about? I think nobody else on earth can say with a straight face that Jones was a way better player.
Jeter deserves all the praise he has been getting this year. Are you saying he is not worthy?

Let him start the game, let him?? Who exactly let him? Oh yeah, the fans because they get to vote. So I guess all the fans that voted were incorrect and should have voted for Chipper Jones!!!

Maybe if Chipper was popular who might have started the game. But he was not, therefore he's not better than Jeter.

Jeter is beloved
Chipper is disliked strongly by his peers

I rest my case
What? How fucking stupid are you?

New York Yankees Captain Derek Jeter already won the popularity contest with his 5 Gold Gloves. Even though he is -234 runs BELOW average. That makes him the worst in baseball. Umm Chipper destroys him there. That's probably one of the reasons he has an MVP. Capt. Clutch never made the top 5 in voting BTW.

Let's go offensively, where it's not even close. WAR comparison 85.1 to 71.6
Age 32-40 ( Jones final year too ) the WAR was 36.7 to 23.2, Jeter is unlikely to go any higher with his current 0.2, your All Star starting SS.

Jeter has 6.1 OWAR advantage and durability playing in ( currently ) 103 more games. I could post more, but it's stats that you will probably grasp as well as you do english. So yes, Forrest. Chipper Jones destroys Capt. and it's not even close.

Oh and what about his peers hating him? You mean the current chickenshits that wouldn't catch him throwing out a first pitch? They were butthurt when he answered honestly that LA would beat Atlanta. Guess who beat Atlanta. In fact Chipper is so disliked he rescued on his snowmobile Freddie Freeman ( one of the ones who refused to catch him ), from the Atlanta ice/snow storm ( post NLDS ).

In fact Chipper is such a team player he moved from 3rd to LF when ATL picked up Vinnie Castilla ( superior defensive 3rd baseman ). Kind of like when team player/capt. moved off short to let best SS in baseball Alex Rodriguez have it. Oh wait, no he didn't.

Run Forrest!
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

The rumors are in full force right now ( the Mariners/David Price/Ben Zobrist, etc. ). Anyways it was just stated the Braves are going to cut ties ( DFA? ) Dan Uggla. Uggla is still owed 15m through 2015. Didn't see that coming when ATL picked him up.

CC Sabathia to have surgery, out for season.

Astros fail to sign #1 pick Brady Aiken.

Padres are close to finalizing a deal to send Huston Street to the Angels. For who? Anaheim's farm ain't exactly loaded.

*Update

The Huston Street to Anaheim trade happened. It's for 6 guys including Rondon, but I don't know who exactly yet. Anaheim wasn't super known for having a deep farm.

I'm curious if it's going to shake up much more in the West. The Zobrist/Price to Seattle mutterings have been picking up steam. I don't think that one is worth it, because any deal will include Walker & possibly Zunino, for what is essentially a two year rental. David Price as a free agent? NYY and LA will pony up big for that.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

killeverything wrote:The rumors are in full force right now ( the Mariners/David Price/Ben Zobrist, etc. ). Anyways it was just stated the Braves are going to cut ties ( DFA? ) Dan Uggla. Uggla is still owed 15m through 2015. Didn't see that coming when ATL picked him up.

Padres are close to finalizing a deal to send Huston Street to the Angels. For who? Anaheim's farm ain't exactly loaded.

*Update

The Huston Street to Anaheim trade happened. It's for 6 guys including Rondon, but I don't know who exactly yet. Anaheim wasn't super known for having a deep farm.

I'm curious if it's going to shake up much more in the West. The Zobrist/Price to Seattle mutterings have been picking up steam. I don't think that one is worth it, because any deal will include Walker & possibly Zunino, for what is essentially a two year rental. David Price as a free agent? NYY and LA will pony up big for that.

Rondon was the blue-chip piece of the thread but he's still young, hard to say how he'll turn out. The trade was certainly lopsided in favor of the Padres, though. That said, I love the Angels having Street in the pen.

The Mariners are a few offensive pieces away from being a really good team. If they could get Zobrist without taking anybody from the big league team, that would be huge for them. Of course, adding Price to Hernandez and Iwakuma would make them deadly in any playoff series. That would be surpass Kershaw/Greinke/Ryu.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:
killeverything wrote:The rumors are in full force right now ( the Mariners/David Price/Ben Zobrist, etc. ). Anyways it was just stated the Braves are going to cut ties ( DFA? ) Dan Uggla. Uggla is still owed 15m through 2015. Didn't see that coming when ATL picked him up.

*Update

Rondon was the blue-chip piece of the thread but he's still young, hard to say how he'll turn out. The trade was certainly lopsided in favor of the Padres, though. That said, I love the Angels having Street in the pen.

The Mariners are a few offensive pieces away from being a really good team. If they could get Zobrist without taking anybody from the big league team, that would be huge for them. Of course, adding Price to Hernandez and Iwakuma would make them deadly in any playoff series. That would be surpass Kershaw/Greinke/Ryu.
It of course stands adding a RHH ( or two ) would benefit Seattle greatly. The problem as I see it is luck. Almost every single one of those guys hits, and hits hard, they've just unfortunately hit right to a defender....consistently. That has to normalize, right?

I'm not in favor of trading for Price the cost will be too high. Plus putting Price in the same rotation as King will piss him off, since he will no longer be the #1. Price has said numerous times he won't sign an extension and the addition of he and Zobrist ( who I'd love to have ), doesn't fully make them WS favorites. So I think it could be another Jones for Berdard situation.

Seattle is almost "there." The team keeps getting better. The extra inning game they lost on Friday was McClendon's ( I'm a fan of ) worst managed game of the season, they should have won that. I still see another run coming and their confidence is growing. Plus I like to see their seemingly giving up on Dustin "I was drafted before that Mike Trout guy" Ackley too. Other clubs still see potential, so there's that.

I like the addition of Street for San Diego. I've ways been a fan of that guy. That is the one resigning Billy Beane made a mistake on. :lol:

*edit

King Felix has went 12 straight appearances of at least 7IP and not allowing more than 2 runs.
-This ties an AL record set by Chief Bender in 1907.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

According to Fox Sports the SF Giants sign fallen Marlins superstar Dan Uggla. Losing Pagan and having Belt go back on the 7 day DL ( concussion ) really fucked them up, so it can't hurt.

Matt Cain to 15 day DL ( elbow ). The hits keep coming.

The rumor now is Billy Beane is interested in Nick Franklin, which ups his trade value. Seattle's player development sucks watch Franklin make a good run for MVP now ( in Oakland ). :lol:
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

The MFY acquire 3B Chase Headley from the Padres for Solarte, prospect De Paula and 1m.
Headley is always on trade block it seems so it finally happened. I used to see Chase when he was a AAA player and I was never too impressed. Maybe he would have made an impact in a different organization, but this deal is pretty meaningless....last time I checked he couldn't pitch.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

killeverything wrote:The MFY acquire 3B Chase Headley from the Padres for Solarte, prospect De Paula and 1m.
Headley is always on trade block it seems so it finally happened. I used to see Chase when he was a AAA player and I was never too impressed. Maybe he would have made an impact in a different organization, but this deal is pretty meaningless....last time I checked he couldn't pitch.

He's gonna move to SS and replace Jeets.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:
killeverything wrote:The MFY acquire 3B Chase Headley from the Padres for Solarte, prospect De Paula and 1m.

He's gonna move to SS and replace Jeets.
Defensively the MFY have the best SS in the game in Brendan Ryan. His range, DER, fucking everything is outstanding. But of course he plays the same position as New York Yankees Captain Derek Jeter RE2PECT, so no Gold Gloves for the actual best.

Wait. I just picked up you were joking. Headley can barely handle 3rd. NY doesn't need two SSs that can't play the fucking position.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kinda cool to see Lincecum get his 1st career save in last night's 14 inning win vs the Phils. Bochy said that they would have had to use OF Ty Colvin next. Colvin pitched in high school.

How many guys can say they threw a no-hitter, and got a save, in the same season? Maybe none? I can see Lincecum transitioning to a closer role, like John Smoltz did, as he ages.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

WOLF wrote:Kinda cool to see Lincecum get his 1st career save in last night's 14 inning win vs the Phils. Bochy said that they would have had to use OF Ty Colvin next. Colvin pitched in high school.

How many guys can say they threw a no-hitter, and got a save, in the same season? Maybe none? I can see Lincecum transitioning to a closer role, like John Smoltz did, as he ages.
He was the shit coming out of the bullpen in 2012, just ask Detroit.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Headley is a monster.
Game winning hit last night in his Yankees debut.