The Never Ending MMA thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

svgshadowhunter
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Re: The Never Ending MMA thread

Post by svgshadowhunter »

definitely didnt see that coming in the first 30 seconds. WTF? My first non-youtubed fedor fight and it's a tapout?
tripsgirl
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tripsgirl »

Prelims on Spike Tv now
Personally, I blame Triple H -
The sig good for any occasion.
tripsgirl

Post by tripsgirl »

I may have a link to watch if any Broke Mf's like me want it...
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

Well that sucked. Carwin beats the crap out of Lesnar in the first round, and then loses by submission? Submission? A friggin' arm triangle.
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by doctordestructo »

LAS VEGAS - Gerald Harris, Brock Lesnar, Stephan Bonnar, Krzysztof Soszynski, Chris Leben and Yoshihiro Akiyama each earned $75,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC 116 event.

Harris earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, Lesnar earned the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Bonnar, Soszynski, Leben, Akiyama all earned "Fight of the Night" honors.

UFC 116 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Two preliminary-card fights aired on Spike TV, and the night's main card aired on pay-per-view.

Harris, who fought on the night's un-aired preliminary card, earned his award after stopping UFC newcomer and Bellator vet Dave Branch with a brutal third-round slam. Harris secured the cage-jarring move after Brand attempted a standing guillotine choke. However, the brunt of the following slam, which came after two fairly dominant rounds for Harris, left Branch briefly unconscious. The victory was Harris' third straight in the UFC and his 10th straight overall.

Lesnar earned his award after submitting interim champ Shane Carwin and unifying the heavyweight title. After surviving a first-round knockdown and dozens of additional blows, Lesnar scored a quick takedown in the second and forced the tap-out moments later with an arm-triangle choke.

Leben and Akiyama picked up their awards after a back-and-forth barnburner of a co-headliner. Each fighter had victory within grasp, but Leben - a late replacement for injured Wanderlei Silva who fought in his second UFC bout in two weeks - got the win. Although Akiyama appeared on his way to a decision victory by winning the third round, Leben secured a fight-ending triangle choke with just 20 seconds remaining in the middleweight bout.

Soszynski and Bonnar, meanwhile, each got a rare second "Fight of the Night" bonus after meeting in a rematch of their UFC 110 meeting. The first fight ended in a controversial third-round TKO for Soszynski, but Bonnar avenged the loss with a come-from-behind third-round TKO at UFC 116.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

roxxxtar wrote:Well that sucked. Carwin beats the crap out of Lesnar in the first round, and then loses by submission? Submission? A friggin' arm triangle.
Everyone who talked up Carwin should hang their head in shame. He punched like a pussy (relatively speaking).

I'm even more psyched about Nelson vs Dos Santos now that the winner gets a shot against Lesnar. They can both punch like boxers.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
BD888

Post by BD888 »

FullDJacket wrote:
roxxxtar wrote:Well that sucked. Carwin beats the crap out of Lesnar in the first round, and then loses by submission? Submission? A friggin' arm triangle.
Everyone who talked up Carwin should hang their head in shame. He punched like a pussy (relatively speaking).

I'm even more psyched about Nelson vs Dos Santos now that the winner gets a shot against Lesnar. They can both punch like boxers.
I hope Nelson wins, I'd like to see him against Lesnar.
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

BD888 wrote:
FullDJacket wrote:

I hope Nelson wins, I'd like to see him against Lesnar.
Not sure the whole story behind it, but I know Brock HATES Big Country so the buildup would be classic. Brock's gotta get past Cain first which isn't a guarantee, but I think he will. I think Cain is a bit overrated, people talk him up like he is the second coming of Fedor or something. I think Carwin was a bigger threat to Brock...
YYC

Post by YYC »

I said in the Brock/Carwin thread that I would love to see Nelson vs Brock, though I have my concerns about Brock getting through Cain. The shit-talking between those two would be on par with Rampage/Rashad, though I fear the fight would be a letdown. I wonder who the "purists" would side with there, since Nelson seems to catch a lot of shit for his mouth and physique, and obviously so many hate Brock already.
ryan76 wrote:I hope all your children have small penises, including the girls.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Junior Dos Santos is going to knock out Brock Lesnar. I think Brock will probably beat Cain, he will be a much better fight than Carwin.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

FullDJacket wrote:

I hope Nelson wins, I'd like to see him against Lesnar.[/quote]

Not sure the whole story behind it, but I know Brock HATES Big Country so the buildup would be classic. Brock's gotta get past Cain first which isn't a guarantee, but I think he will. I think Cain is a bit overrated, people talk him up like he is the second coming of Fedor or something. I think Carwin was a bigger threat to Brock...

I didn't know Lesnar hated Nelson, but that's all good. I think Cain, JDS, and Carwin have all been built up too much by the UFC to sell the PPVs, and make it look like Brock has a formidable opponent, when none of them have any better a record than Brock, and haven't really fought more than two good fighters each. I don't mean to disrespect them, I just don't think they've fought the caliber of opponents of past Heavyweights. But, saying all that, the division is very weak.

I think an old and fat Tim Slyvia would put up a good fight against either one of them.

I also think Carwin was a bigger threat than Cain will be. It will be interesting to see if Brock is a little gun shy at the beginning of their bout. That might make all the difference in giving up an advantage to Cain. I don't see it though.
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

Nelson's quote on Lesnar:

“Lesnar didn’t want to fight him,” Nelson said. “So he ducked Carwin; so now Frank gets him. I would have stripped him of his belt and left (Carwin) to fight for the real championship and not the TV championship.”

http://urdirt.com/2010/03/24/roy-nelson ... ne-carwin/
Bidokan
Playing in a Garage

Post by Bidokan »

The only one who stands a real good chance against Lesnar is Jr Dos Santos, Cain is overated and while I think Nelson is a good fighter, he will get man handled by Brock.

Other than that, Dana needs to go into the dephts of Brazil and bring back a gorilla to fight Lesnar.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

I am surprised Dana doesn't bring back The Mainiac and The Pitbull to give Brock two more former HW champs to pound on. I do however think both Tim and Andrei would have a good chance against Brock as they both are far better strikers than anyone he's face yet, including Carwin.
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

BD888 wrote:I am surprised Dana doesn't bring back The Mainiac and The Pitbull to give Brock two more former HW champs to pound on. I do however think both Tim and Andrei would have a good chance against Brock as they both are far better strikers than anyone he's face yet, including Carwin.
Have you seen any of their recent fights? Arlovski has a chin about as bad as Liddell and he couldn't even beat Bigfoot Silva (or any of the other Strikefoce HW's, who are for the most part a joke compared to the UFC's HW's). Same for Sylvia, he's over 300lbs, lost to Ray Mercer with one punchin ten seconds and recently fought a pathetic freakshow fight against Mariusz Pudzianowski, the worlds strongest man who literally gassed worse than Carwin after going for one take down against Sylvia. Brock and Carwin and pretty much any other top guys in the UFC HW Division like Cain, JDS, etc would analy rape both of them, badly.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

SlayerNPG wrote:
BD888 wrote:I am surprised Dana doesn't bring back The Mainiac and The Pitbull to give Brock two more former HW champs to pound on. I do however think both Tim and Andrei would have a good chance against Brock as they both are far better strikers than anyone he's face yet, including Carwin.
Have you seen any of their recent fights? Arlovski has a chin about as bad as Liddell and he couldn't even beat Bigfoot Silva (or any of the other Strikefoce HW's, who are for the most part a joke compared to the UFC's HW's). Same for Sylvia, he's over 300lbs, lost to Ray Mercer with one punchin ten seconds and recently fought a pathetic freakshow fight against Mariusz Pudzianowski, the worlds strongest man who literally gassed worse than Carwin after going for one take down against Sylvia. Brock and Carwin and pretty much any other top guys in the UFC HW Division like Cain, JDS, etc would analy rape both of them, badly.
Yes, I've seen all of their fights since they both started in the UFC, and a few before.

Arlovski has looked good against all the opponents that beat him. Against Fedor, he was looking great and backing Fedor up and winning the fight until he had a lapse of concentration and did that flying knee and got KOed badly. The Rogers fight, again he was winning the fight until he was knocked down, but he wasn't out and I think that fight was stopped early. His fight with Bigfoot, he was rather oddly outboxed, he couldn't get past Bigfoot's jab and his long reach, but he didn't look bad.

Slyvia vs. Fedor, well, that could have happened to anyone. Against Mercer, again, any HW who took that punch would have been KOed, and him being way over weight didn't factor in because he got KOed straight away. Against that Pudzianowski, I thought he looked good, just really slow. I think in reality, they've still go the ability to fight like they did in the UFC, and they're both well rounded fighters and former champions. If they did lost to any of those fighters that you mentioned, then it would just add more credibility to their resumes. As it stands, none of the guys you've mentioned have more than two top 10 wins on their resumes, and only Carwin has fought for the title. Wins over a badly going down hill Nog, and a Mir that can't see to win, doesn't convince me. Also, Kongo is a gatekeeper. Arlovski and Slyiva have fought a lot more top fighers, so would go in with more experience, and win or lose, would make some great fights. The HW has gotten more interesting as of late, but it is sorely lacking in stars.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

enter your username wrote:Couple old scrubs making a pay day last night. Reminiscent of UFC 27 with Severn and Rizzo.

Ken Shamrock vs Pedro Rizzo - Impact FC 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMHzMyMVodg
I cringed watching Shamrock try to stand with Rizzo just like he said he would. He's a fool. Jake Rossen just wrote a good article about how to handle a Shamrock on Sherdog.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Silva looks like he's ready to smash it on the dance floor.

How fucking funny would it be if he moonwalks his way to a win tomorrow and drags the fight to a decision again. Maybe slap Chael in the face like a bitch once or twice in each round...hahaha...Dana White would flip the fuck out, that would be epic.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Now that I think about it, slapping Sonnen in the face seems like a good idea. How often do you get the chance to see a fighter tap to bitchslaps?
BD888

Post by BD888 »

If you guys didn't watch Strike Force last night, check it out, there were a few big upsets.
YYC

Post by YYC »

BD888 wrote:If you guys didn't watch Strike Force last night, check it out, there were a few big upsets.
All in all, I thought it was a damn good card, probably the best Strikeforce show I've seen. Lashley finally got exposed, and he's got a looooong way to go if he's ever going to be a legit fighter. He'd get absolutely destroyed by any top heavyweight.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

BD888 wrote:If you guys didn't watch Strike Force last night, check it out, there were a few big upsets.
Some odd reffing in the Lashley and Noons fights. Jacare had a tougher time than I expected. I was pulling for Feijao, but thought that Mo would probably lay and pray him, I was surprised to see him get TKOed.

Kinda meh event overall though.
Shinerrox
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by Shinerrox »

I was there for the Strikeforce event.. Good crowd, everybody was expecting Lashley to beat Griggs, except me :mrgreen:
and when Noons punched Gurgel after the bell, that should have been an automatic DQ. And when King Mo last the place just erupted, no one was expecting that.. after the fights, I ran into Rashard Evans and Mayhem Miller... Mayhem signed a glove for me which was cool of him...
BD888

Post by BD888 »

Anyone think Toney has a chance in hell?
YYC

Post by YYC »

BD888 wrote:Anyone think Toney has a chance in hell?
The only way he stands a chance is if Randy stands up with him and tries to box, which I don't believe he would do. He'll take him down easily and pound him out in the first round. There's always a chance Toney could land a lucky punch when Randy shoots in, but I just don't see it happening.
Shinerrox
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by Shinerrox »

BD888 wrote:Anyone think Toney has a chance in hell?
Apparently he doesn't.. Not much of a fight... Couture owned his ass!
tripsgirl

Post by tripsgirl »

BJ Penn looks like he is high or something...
He just looks like he isn't all there...
Out Of The Cellar

Post by Out Of The Cellar »

That Frankie Edgar is a motherfucker!
Deano
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Deano »

tripsgirl wrote:BJ Penn looks like he is high or something...
He just looks like he isn't all there...
I agree. He just let Edgar decide the pace of the fight. His behavior during his intro and when he got to the octagon was like he was being led to the gallows.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

I guess there are no more dominant champions other than GSP.

I enjoyed Couture winning, but I didn't think the card was that great.

Florian really fucked up, if he'd won that, I couldn't see Edgar beating him. He's got a long way to get back to title contention, I imagine he'll have to get atleast another 2 wins and against who?

For me watching Miranda get out of all those submission attempts was great, I am planning to try that helicopter escape from the arm bar tomorrow during training, I am sure I have done that before, but no so fluidly.