The Never Ending MMA thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cyber Spirit
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: The Never Ending MMA thread

Post by Cyber Spirit »

yeahbuddy wrote:Coming January of 2016 is the return of the greatest & most violent women's mma fighter of all time.
Last two fights ended in less than a minute & both opponents walked out of the octagon with their noses broke. All in a day's work for this bad ass. Just another day at the office.

Do you think she could handle Holm?. Unlike Rousey, it appears Holm is ready to take Cyborg on, any time, any place and at any weight.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Cyber Spirit wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:Coming January of 2016 is the return of the greatest & most violent women's mma fighter of all time.
Last two fights ended in less than a minute & both opponents walked out of the octagon with their noses broke. All in a day's work for this bad ass. Just another day at the office.

Do you think she could handle Holm?. Unlike Rousey, it appears Holm is ready to take Cyborg on, any time, any place and at any weight.

That's a great question. I don't think the UFC will ever make that fight though.
They want Holly to take on Meisha Tate, Amanda Nunes, Cat Zingano, Julianna Pena, etc etc before the talk of a Cyborg fight.
I do love how Holly & her team would take that fight. Not like Rousey who constantly ducked her "Cyborg did this, she did that". I'm convinced Rousey never wanted to fight her. And after seeing what HH did to Rousey, Cyborg would have destroyed her. Holly took Ronda out with her punches. Holly does not hit hard. I would love to see Ronda stay in the pocket & exchange blows with Cyborg.
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

Luke Rockhold just destroyed Chris Weidman.
Rockhold new champ.
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

Conor McGregor disposes of Aldo with his first punch (not counting the barely landed left cross) of the first round, a left hook.
New champ. McGregor.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Gotta give McGregor major credit for what he did tonight. The guy is something else.
Like everybody else I had no clue what was going to happen. If anything I thought McGregor would do to Aldo what Dillishaw did to Barao.
Aldo is a poor loser. His comments after the fight was weak. "This wasn't a fight, we need to do a rematch". Screw you pal! He walked on the fight earlier this year & he can never fight with any consistency because of injuries. My guess is the UFC is glad he is no longer the champ.
Frankie Edgar should get the next shot.
Weidman looked nervous walking into the cage. Damn he got his ass kicked.
I don't understand his strategy either. Trying to get Rockhold's back? Really?
And that kick, aggghhhhh!! What was he thinking? Weidman looked rather ordinary tonight.
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

Not sure what Weidman was thinking with that hook kick...that was on the level of Chael's spinning backfist in the second Silva fight. I had Weidman winning the first, Luke the Second, and up until that stupid move, Chris was winning the third round. WTF?

Aldo more than any of these other champs like Rousey, Barao, and Cain deserves an immediate rematch. He was champ for 10 years straight at that weight class between WEC and UFC. Dana himself has stated in the past that they'd give a champ a rematch if it was a first round ko or something crazy like that. Ronda, Cain, and Barao were all theroughly dominated in their fights from pillar to post. The Aldo KO was flukey.

Frankie is one of my favorite fighters, it was awesome seeing him ko Mendes, who im a fan of too. I hope he gets the next title fight but totally understand if Aldo gets the rematch.

I gotta be honest though. I am getting tired of how UFC runs things. It is borderline fight fixing. Not that they are having guys throw fights, but more making fights based primarily on financials. UFC has always said they wanted to be more like the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Their matchmaking often has very little to do with who deserves it. There's no clear path for a guy to get a title fight. It's very often just based on who Dana likes and the guys who are just yes men. You can bet your ass that if he didn't like Ronda she'd not get an immediate rematch bc she was dominated.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Anyone have links to either the Weidman or McGregor fights?
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

EddieVanHeineken wrote:Not sure what Weidman was thinking with that hook kick...that was on the level of Chael's spinning backfist in the second Silva fight. I had Weidman winning the first, Luke the Second, and up until that stupid move, Chris was winning the third round. WTF?

Aldo more than any of these other champs like Rousey, Barao, and Cain deserves an immediate rematch. He was champ for 10 years straight at that weight class between WEC and UFC. Dana himself has stated in the past that they'd give a champ a rematch if it was a first round ko or something crazy like that. Ronda, Cain, and Barao were all theroughly dominated in their fights from pillar to post. The Aldo KO was flukey.

Frankie is one of my favorite fighters, it was awesome seeing him ko Mendes, who im a fan of too. I hope he gets the next title fight but totally understand if Aldo gets the rematch.

I gotta be honest though. I am getting tired of how UFC runs things. It is borderline fight fixing. Not that they are having guys throw fights, but more making fights based primarily on financials. UFC has always said they wanted to be more like the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Their matchmaking often has very little to do with who deserves it. There's no clear path for a guy to get a title fight. It's very often just based on who Dana likes and the guys who are just yes men. You can bet your ass that if he didn't like Ronda she'd not get an immediate rematch bc she was dominated.
Weidman wasn't winning fight. It was pretty much a wash, until one of them made a mistake. Weidman made a big mistake & paid for it big time.
The UFC is in the business of making money. And my guess is regardless of Aldo's record, he did shitty ppv numbers. The UFC always had to say "he's pound for pound the greatest fighter" to sell his fights.
And that was no fluke. Watch it again. Aldo feinted with a right that Conor saw a million miles away & countered with a point blank left. Had to laugh at Aldo because he was on the canvas flopping around like a fish out of water.
Can't believe people still do not give McGregor credit. The guy has done everything he said he would do.
GSP was always the man, but Conor is GSP x 1000. And more importantly, Conor wants & is willing to do all the press & interviews. Could've been Brock Lesnar, but we all know how that turned out. The lug didn't like being hit.
Jon Jones should be but he is dipshit & not a very likable guy to say the least.
I had to laugh when Holloway & Maia called out for championship fights.
Yeah, Max went the distance with McGregor, but come on these days they aren't even in the same league. Put Holloway against Aldo & see what happens.
And when was the last time Maia fought & beat a top 5 opponent? He's beating these guys that are barely if at all top 10.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Way to go Cowboy!!
I expected fight to go the way it did.
Good to see Diaz keeping it real. Ha ha!
A fight with McGregor would be entertaining, but we all know the UFC brass would
never let that happen.
Cracks me up how all the other fighters are calling McGregor out.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NOBODY talking aboot the last round and outcome of the condit fight?

he got robbed.
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

Kid-Wicked wrote:NOBODY talking aboot the last round and outcome of the condit fight?

he got robbed.
Yep. Great fight. Thought Condit won it too.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

jellyheadrobertson wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:NOBODY talking aboot the last round and outcome of the condit fight?

he got robbed.
Thought Condit won, but after the 5th round it was anybody's fight.
How Condit withstood that onslaught was beyond me.
Overall a good night of fights.
What about that Ortega submission of Brandao?
The Duffy/Porier (spelling) was crazy.
Too bad the Pitbull got knocked out within a minute.
Did you guys see all the empty seats? I don't think this
fight sold very well. Two days before I got a 20% off ppv email.
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

yeahbuddy wrote:
jellyheadrobertson wrote:

he got robbed.
Thought Condit won, but after the 5th round it was anybody's fight.
How Condit withstood that onslaught was beyond me.
Overall a good night of fights.
What about that Ortega submission of Brandao?
The Duffy/Porier (spelling) was crazy.
Too bad the Pitbull got knocked out within a minute.
Did you guys see all the empty seats? I don't think this
fight sold very well. Two days before I got a 20% off ppv email.
Wasn't promoted very well at all unless I missed every commercial for it up until a few days ago? Way too many cards as this was a very good card that essentially went unnoticed.

Earl

ps-thought Condit won also but thought they might give it to Lawler based on you have to really destroy the champ to get the belt.
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

I thought Condit won the fight hands down. Watched it a couple times and it really just comes down to the 3rd round. Robby only threw a few punches and was backing up most of the round. Condit was consistently throwing and moving forward in the round. I like both guys a lot. Would hate to see Condit retire after that. There needs to be a rematch.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

EddieVanHeineken wrote:I thought Condit won the fight hands down. Watched it a couple times and it really just comes down to the 3rd round. Robby only threw a few punches and was backing up most of the round. Condit was consistently throwing and moving forward in the round. I like both guys a lot. Would hate to see Condit retire after that. There needs to be a rematch.
Wasn't promoted very well at all unless I missed every commercial for it up until a few days ago? Way too many cards as this was a very good card that essentially went unnoticed.

Earl

ps-thought Condit won also but thought they might give it to Lawler based on you have to really destroy the champ to get the belt.
Gotta agree with Earl on destroying the champ.
Would hate to see Condit retire. He brings a lot to the party. Would love to see him fight Damian Mai.
I'm not a big fan of all these immediate re matches. I don't even want to see a Rousey/Holly re match immediately. Unfortunately that immediately isn't until UFC 200 in July. I would love to see Holly fight somebody else before then. To put her on the shelf for 7 months is too long.

Just remember guys- coming January 16th to the OC of southern cali is the greatest women's mma fighter of all time! Yes you got that right!!
No need for an introduction-

brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

EddieVanHeineken wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
EddieVanHeineken wrote:I know everybody wants to lay into Ronda bc of all the shit she talked and did, saying she's overrated and such. But, the fact of the matter is that she pretty much singlehandedly made people care about women's MMA. She is the biggest star MMA has ever had, getting press, movies, magazines and such that nobody, not GSP, Silva, Lidell, etc. was ever getting. I know people hate admitting that. She just headlined a fucking stadium show for close to 60 thousand people. Nobody in the UFC has ever done that.

I'm not really a bid fan of hers, but you have to put things into perspective. Yes she lost badly. But, She lost ONE fight after running through everybody else. GSP lost, Silva lost, ...shit Silva didn't become the legend until after he'd lost a few times. MMA isn't boxing where being undefeated is exhalted and you're cosidered a bum when you lose. i like to say that boxing is checkers and mma is chess. There are way more ways to win and lose in mma. Boxing you just have to worry about being hit by two hands.

IMO, she dropped the ball in training, not just for this fight, but overall. She tried to condense her training to where she was just doing camps to get ready for fights and not really spending the time to learn new skills. BC of her crazy schedule of doing movies, press, fights, etc. She basically pulled a Rocky in Rocky III and was embarrassed badly bc she thought her natural talent was enough to win. YES she is talented and will most likely beat everybody else, but she wasn't prepared for the Holm that she saw in the UFC. Her coaches said after this fight, that they purposely held her back in her other fights, in which she didn't look dominant. Looks like their gamesmanship was on another level as Ronda was fooled. My two cents...
Good post, but do you really believe Holm's coaches about that tactic? Seems a little risky imo.

Yeah, I actually do believe the coaches. She came in and basically had two tune up fights. The girls she fought weren't top ten. I don't know if you know this or not, but UFC was trying to get Holly in for a while. Jackson-Winklejon camp weren't playing ball with UFC. The negotiations took a long time. They wanted things done their way. I believe this was what they wanted...for Holly to get a couple tune ups against scrubs, while preparing all along for Rousey. The girls she fought she didn't have to expose how well she could handle what Ronda had to offer. Ronda's camp was fooled. They thought HH looked weak and ill prepared and ego got in the way.
If they held Holm back so Rhonda didn't know what she was going up against then that's a brilliant move.

While Bethe Correia deserved a beating, especially after her little suicide joke, when I watched that fight I though Rhonda's striking was sloppy and I wondered what would happen if she went against someone who really knew how to box...

And then in stepped Holm.

I really want to see Ronda win the rematch, but she's not going to do it if she doesn't learn how to defend herself and strike against someone with Holm's skill.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

If they held Holm back so Rhonda didn't know what she was going up against then that's a brilliant move.

While Bethe Correia deserved a beating, especially after her little suicide joke, when I watched that fight I though Rhonda's striking was sloppy and I wondered what would happen if she went against someone who really knew how to box...

And then in stepped Holm.

I really want to see Ronda win the rematch, but she's not going to do it if she doesn't learn how to defend herself and strike against someone with Holm's skill.
The fight has been on Fightpass for a couple of weeks now. I must've watched it at least 7 or 8 times. Ronda had absolute zero defense in her game plan. Holly nailed her a number of times with that front kick or oblique kick & Ronda had no answer for it all. And the inside elbows the same. Ronda was an open target. She just kept pushing forward & forward & forward. Add up all the punches she was taking & not ending fight in under a minute spelled disaster for her.
She did nail Holly a few times, but took a few every time she landed her own. Holly fought the perfect fight.
Actually the fight reminded me a lot of the Valasquez/Lesnar fight. Lesnar thought he could impose his will on Valasquez & when that didn't work out was all downhill from there. I'm not saying that Lesnar had the same skill level as Rousey, I'm just saying.
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

Yeah, you're right. You're saying pushing forward. I agree, though I kept thinking... "She's chasing her like someone who is not in control of this fight." We're thinking the same thing.

I'm a big fan of both she and McGregor, but John McCarthy put it right when it comes to fighters who are at the top of their game and what eventually happens to almost all of them... It's pretty close to inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4LTjaMEeJs
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

brotherplanet wrote:Yeah, you're right. You're saying pushing forward. I agree, though I kept thinking... "She's chasing her like someone who is not in control of this fight." We're thinking the same thing.

I'm a big fan of both she and McGregor, but John McCarthy put it right when it comes to fighters who are at the top of their game and what eventually happens to almost all of them... It's pretty close to inevitable.

When/if it happens to McGregor, how do you think it will happen?
The guy is smart as a whip as a fighter. He not only can take a punch, but what I noticed (especially the Mendes fight when he was on the ground) when a punch or elbow is coming his way he goes with it & doesn't get hit as hard. Yeah, he is still getting hit, but not a full shot. He also fights so much longer than any other fighter in either division he can/will fight in.
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

yeahbuddy wrote:
brotherplanet wrote:Yeah, you're right. You're saying pushing forward. I agree, though I kept thinking... "She's chasing her like someone who is not in control of this fight." We're thinking the same thing.

When/if it happens to McGregor, how do you think it will happen?
No idea. The guy is still peaking. I'd be surprised if anyone beat him over the next year. To be a good highlight reel for someone else though he'd have to be knocked out.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

UFC 197- dos Anjos vs McGregor & Holly vs Meisha Tate.
Makes sense. No reason to keep either of the champs on
the sidelines until 200.
And who is Frankie Edgar going to fight now that McGregor will be busy?
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

yeahbuddy wrote:UFC 197- dos Anjos vs McGregor & Holly vs Meisha Tate.
the sidelines until 200.

I liked his response to McGregor a few months ago. "Of course man, easy money."

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/video-cono ... ghtweights

I think Meisha is about to get her ass beaten into the ground.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

brotherplanet wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:UFC 197- dos Anjos vs McGregor & Holly vs Meisha Tate.
the sidelines until 200.

I liked his response to McGregor a few months ago. "Of course man, easy money."

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/video-cono ... ghtweights

I think Meisha is about to get her ass beaten into the ground.
I agree with you on Meisha. My guess is she will try to take Holly down a few times. Realize she can't do it or can't keep her down, and Holly will pick her apart with strikes & kicks.

Fighting McGregor our boy RDA will probably make more money than he has in all of his previous fights & anything beyond it combined.
The guy has zero PPV value.

I'm going to the Cyborg fight next weekend in Costa Mesa Cali.
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

yeahbuddy wrote: And who is Frankie Edgar going to fight now that McGregor will be busy?

I followed Rhonda the past several months and McGregor really caught my attention, but I skipped this question because I don't know. I'm really new to actually being an MMA fan, and by that I mean early December is when I decided to start following this sport.

Where can I watch previous PPV fights so I can play catch up on all of the people fighting in the UFC?
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

brotherplanet wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote: And who is Frankie Edgar going to fight now that McGregor will be busy?

I followed Rhonda the past several months and McGregor really caught my attention, but I skipped this question because I don't know. I'm really new to actually being an MMA fan, and by that I mean early December is when I decided to start following this sport.

Where can I watch previous PPV fights so I can play catch up on all of the people fighting in the UFC?
Get a subscription to UFC Fight Pass.
http://www.ufc.tv/

I love it! The entire collection of fights is there. They've also started carrying other promotions.
They show Strikeforce, Pride, & many other promotions that no longer exist.
Its crazy to watch the early UFC fights & see how far they've come.

Next week is Invicta FC 15 & it will be shown on FP.

Its no more than 10 bucks a month. But they have a special, if you buy a ppv, you get a 6 month subscription for half off. You can also purchase an entire year subscription.
Also a month after a ppv has happened, its released to FP. The McGregor/Aldo fight will be up on this Monday or Tuesday.

Anderson Silva's next fight against Michael Bisping is a FP exclusive.
They've really stepped up their game on this service.

Now there are other websites that you can watch past fights for free, but the quality isn't that great. I'm not Mr rich guy, but I'd rather spend the 10 a month & know that I will get what I want when I want it without any problems.

FP also streams on different devices. Your phone, Apple tv, etc etc. I stream through my XBox One & very happy.
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

What are everyone's thoughts on Chael Sonnen these days?

I was really into his career toward the end but then it just seemed like he turned into a complete windbag. Then the whole banned substance stuff was just a huge turnoff. I lost a lot of respect for him and stopped following him.

Thoughts?
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Indy_Rob wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Chael Sonnen these days?

I was really into his career toward the end but then it just seemed like he turned into a complete windbag. Then the whole banned substance stuff was just a huge turnoff. I lost a lot of respect for him and stopped following him.

Thoughts?
These days don't think about him at all. Every so often I see one of his quotes on various mma sites, but pay little attention.

I will say this though- I used to be a casual fan of mma/ufc & would watch the fights when the ufc was on Spike. But from all of the lead up & talk that was going on in his first fight with Anderson Silva made me buy the ppv & become a huge fan. And that fight did not disappoint one bit. That submission was a hail mary if there ever was one in the mma.
burt1098
Headlining Clubs

Post by burt1098 »

My thoughts on Chael Sonnen...sometimes the sport passes you by. Happens to all great fighters. He was great and as mentioned was owning Silva til he got submitted. And was always good for an interview.

Goofs on Brazilians here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHAGXlIyprQ
IDIAMINDADA wrote:
I had no idea black people played horseshoes.

" It didn't say ya' couldn't...."
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

He always hung his hat on the "I almost beat Anderson Silva" thing. I got tired of hearing about it. The fact is he DIDN'T win. "Almost" doesn't cut it. Doesn't matter if he dominated him for 4.5 rounds. Silva hung on the entire time and submitted him at the end.

His mouth got too big toward the end of his career and his skills didn't back him up. The last 2 fights that I can recall (the rematch against Silva and then Rashad Evans), he got his ass handed to him both times. At that point, I started seeing him as all mouth and not enough substance.