The Never Ending MMA thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Re: The Never Ending MMA thread

Post by Lopes »

Fedor by americana, unless Aoki busts out the old school rainbow pants, then he's got a shot.

WAR BUNDY!
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Anderson Silva VS Forrest Griffin for UFC 101
Interesting choice for his fourth last fight

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=k ... &type=lgns

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White made good on his promise to land a significant fight for suddenly under siege middleweight champion Anderson Silva, telling Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday that he had signed a deal for Silva to face ex-light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in the co-main event of UFC 101 in Philadelphia on Aug. 8.

Regarded by many as the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world, Silva has come under a barrage of criticism for his performances in his last two fights, including from White. White said he was embarrassed by Silva’s performance in a decision victory over Thales Leites at UFC 97 in Montreal.

That came on the heels of a questionable performance against Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in Chicago in October in which it appeared that Silva was toying with Cote.

White wanted to find a fighter who would challenge Silva, winner of a UFC record nine consecutive fights, and believes he has done it by signing Griffin.

“Forrest loved the idea and said he’d do it right away, and Anderson told me he would fight anyone I wanted him to fight, no matter who it is,” White said. “So we got the deal.”

The fight will be the co-main event in the UFC’s first foray into Philadelphia, sharing top billing with a lightweight title fight between B.J. Penn and No. 1 contender Kenny Florian.

Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, said the champion is excited by the opportunity to face Griffin, who took the light heavyweight title from Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in July, but lost it in December to Rashad Evans.

He said Griffin has a complete game and has a big name, which makes the fight more interesting to Silva.

“It’s a great fight for him and he’s anxious and excited about it,” Soares said. “Forrest is a bigger, stronger guy with a lot of cardio and he’s the full package. The other thing Anderson likes about it is that Forrest is a big name with a huge heart and is a fan favorite kind of a guy. That’s the kind of match that makes a legendary kind of a fight and that’s what Anderson wants.”

White said he met with Silva and Soares last week and expressed his concerns about Silva’s performance in the last two outings. Silva defended his performance, noting that Cote did not attack and that Leites fought exceptionally cautiously.

White called Silva out at the post fight news conference at UFC 97 for backing off as he was pounding Leites on the ground, but Soares said he didn’t back off for no reason.

“There was a moment when he was in the half-guard and pounding [Leites] out when it looked from outside the octagon like he stood up and walked away,” Soares said.

“Unfortunately, people outside the octagon don’t see the fight the same way as those who are in it. Anderson said that what happened was that Thales was covering up well and that in one of those situations, he hit his hand very hard on Thales’ elbow.

“He thought, ‘Oh man, I could break my hand,’ so instead of risking a broken hand that would keep him out for six months if the guy was going to keep covering up like that, he’d stand up and fight him on the feet. But people outside the octagon probably didn’t notice that.”

Silva made his reputation in the UFC by roaring through competition, knocking out most of his foes violently. He destroyed Rich Franklin twice and also knocked out Nate Marquardt and submitted Dan Henderson.

White was his biggest advocate, insisting there is no fighter in the world close to Silva. And though he was disappointed by his performance in the last two fights, White said he still feels strongly that Silva is the best.

He said Silva will remain middleweight champion and said he thinks there will be viable opponents soon. One would be ex-light heavyweight Michael Bisping, who fights Henderson at UFC 100 in July. If Henderson wins, a Silva-Bisping fight for the title would be a major event.

And White said he is working on signing another middleweight that he would not name who he said “would blow your mind.”

“I’m a fight fan like anyone else and I want to see the best fights, too,” White said. “Other than the Bisping-(Matt) Hamill fight, where I literally got death threats and people said they were going to kill me if they ever saw me, I got more nasty email about the last [Silva-Leites] fight than any one I’ve had in nine years of doing this. I got four of them [Monday], personally, to me. I can only imagine what it’s like to the UFC.com address.”

White said that Silva also expressed an interest in fighting heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, who is under contract with Affliction. White has made several attempts to sign Emelianenko, none successful.

Soares confirmed that Silva would like a fight with Emelianenko and said that size wouldn’t be an issue. Silva walks around between fights at 215 and Emelianenko fights around 230.

“We’d come in at about 220 if we ever got that fight,” Soares said. “Anderson thinks that would be a great fight for him. He didn’t say he expected to blow him out, but he thinks he can give him a very good fight.”

But long before he considers fighting Emelianenko, he has to worry about a match with Griffin.

“I talked to [a reporter] the day after [UFC 97] and that’s when I started working on this,” White said. “At the end of the day, it’s my job to put on the kinds of fights that you in the media will like and that the fans will want to see. Silva and Griffin is the kind of fight that even other fighters are going to go crazy for. That’s what I do for a living.

“I as a fan didn’t like what I saw [at UFC 97] and I wasn’t kidding when I said I wanted to walk out of the building because of how embarrassed I am. But I can tell you this: I’m going to be counting the days until this fight.”
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
nakedmadman
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by nakedmadman »

UFC 98 picks?

Rashad Evans Vs. Lyoto Machida

Machida. I don't think Evans can handle Machida's awkward style.

Matt Hughes Vs. Matt Serra

Hughes. I don't think Serra can overcome Hughes' size/reach. Serra should consider moving back to 155.

Drew McFedries Vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam
Foupa-Pokam. I think McFedries may be on his way out of the UFC. Once people learned about his power, they've found a way to step aside and drop him.

Dan Miller Vs. Chael Sonnen
Don't know either of these two, but Miller's 11-1. I'll go with the record, Miller.

Sean Sherk Vs. Frank Edgar
This one might be REAL good. Edgar in a war.

Brock Larson Vs. Chris Wilson

Pat Barry Vs. Tim Hague

Phillipe Nover Vs. Kyle Bradley

Krzysztof Soszynski Vs. Andre Gusmao

Yoshiyuki Yoshida Vs. Brandon Wolff

Dave Kaplan Vs. George Roop
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

He's back bitches!! UFC 99

Come on, Mirko prove everyone wrong!!

Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

SlayerNPG wrote:He's back bitches!! UFC 99

WAR CROCOP!

WAR BUNDY!
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Lopes wrote:
SlayerNPG wrote:He's back bitches!! UFC 99

WAR CROCOP!

Fuck yeah, business is about to pick up! Ok maybe not, but I'm still pumped to see him fight. He hasn't looked that great recently, but maybe his knee is finally healed and he'll put on a good show. I wonder why this isn't on the UFC website yet though, this was rumored a long time ago and then Mirko signed a 3 fight deal with DREAM, but more sites are reporting it this time.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Even though you could get completly drunk at 16, beat the shit out someone, light up a cancerous smoke after god forbid you watch MMA

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14920/germany ... n-june.mma

MMA fans 17 and younger won't be permitted to attend UFC 99 in Germany.

After a rash of bad publicity, including a negative front-page article in one of the country's largest newspapers, the UFC was forced to agree to a ban on minors attending the June 13 event, according to Yahoo! Sports.

The UFC event, Germany's first, takes place at Lanxess Arena and airs on pay per view.

Featured bouts for the show include Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva (at a catch-weight of 195 pounds) and heavyweights Heath Herring vs. Cain Velasquez.

According to the Yahoo! Sports report, the negative publicity has included the use of incorrect information about the UFC, including the outdated belief that the UFC bans only biting and eye-poking. (In fact, the UFC has used the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which ban many potentially dangerous moves and holds, since 2000.)

Calls to ban the event outright began soon after the UFC announced its intentions of making its German debut. Minors were recently banned from the show after a local child protection commission pushed for it.

For the latest on "UFC 99: Franklin vs. Silva," stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
---------------

I think this event is going to be a shit show, put some focus on holland or korea next time Zuffa
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQh9xiw ... r_embedded
Heres the promo video for Dreams super hulk tournment taking place wednesday I think

Look for such high light as Jose hitting dingers, his oppenant crushing an apple, and "Indiana Jones Angry!!"

Also Cheick Kongo will step for heath herring to face cain velqueze(sp)
you have to think who ever wins that one will be getting the next crack at the Brock lesnar/Frank Mir
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Who's everyone got tonight? I'm taking:

Machida
Hughes
Sherk
Prof. X
Sonnen

Hopefully Pat Barry's fight gets shown, that dude is a beast...This is an underrated card IMO, no really huge names but a lot of good fighters. Should be exciting.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Rashad GNP Stoppage, but this fight could go anyway, and it will be the best boring fight ever, im stoked. And glad im not watching it at a bar
Hughes lay and pray
X by SICK KO
Sherk by dec, this could turn up into a brillant standup war if sherk doesnt want to take it to the mat
Miller by sub

Larson dec
Pat berry KO
Phillipe Nover sub
Krzysztof Ko
Yoshida son, sub
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

So... how bout that Machida :lol:

Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

SlayerNPG wrote:So... how bout that Machida :lol:

I actually expected to see this in the 4th round. Now that we see that Machida can really finish people off convincingly, I'm curious to see how Rampage handles Machida's style. Machida isn't going to stupidly press forward if Rampage tries to taunt him, like he did with Liddell, and I think that Rampage will get frustrated, do something stupid, and then Machida has him.

The fight I'm waiting for is with Shogun, he's probably the only guy that can counter Machida's style.

WAR BUNDY!
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Lopes wrote:

I actually expected to see this in the 4th round. Now that we see that Machida can really finish people off convincingly, I'm curious to see how Rampage handles Machida's style. Machida isn't going to stupidly press forward if Rampage tries to taunt him, like he did with Liddell, and I think that Rampage will get frustrated, do something stupid, and then Machida has him.

The fight I'm waiting for is with Shogun, he's probably the only guy that can counter Machida's style.

Machida is greater than Rashad, who is greater than Rampage. Rampage is one-dimensional. I can't see him causing a problem for Machida.

Yeah, I'm a Machida nut-swinger and have been for about six months now. I'm also swinging from the Polish Experiment's nuts, dude is solid.

Fuck, I'm so bummed I missed this. Why did my daughter's birthday have to fall on this weekend?
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

tin00can wrote:
Lopes wrote:

Machida is greater than Rashad, who is greater than Rampage. Rampage is one-dimensional. I can't see him causing a problem for Machida.

Yeah, I'm a Machida nut-swinger and have been for about six months now. I'm also swinging from the Polish Experiment's nuts, dude is solid.

Fuck, I'm so bummed I missed this. Why did my daughter's birthday have to fall on this weekend?
I gotta disagree... Rampage is a MUCH better fighter than Rashad, by far. Rampage isn't one dimensional at all, he's good at everything, has an amazing chin and is just an all around tough guy. He's the only person in the divison that has a chance at beating Machida. Shogun? Jesus Machida would wreck him. Forrest? Now way in hell. And Anderson Silva won't fight Machida since they are good friends, so there goes that.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Rampage could kick the shit out of machida. he wont though, hes going to go into the fight and try to box and get KTFO.

And Rampage is pretty offensivly one dimensional, he boxes thats it. I think he has gone for three takedowns since he has been in the UFC

Rampage is stronger then rashad and a better boxer, he isnt as fast as Rashad and is not a better wrestler
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

SlayerNPG wrote:
I gotta disagree... Rampage is a MUCH better fighter than Rashad, by far. Rampage isn't one dimensional at all, he's good at everything, has an amazing chin and is just an all around tough guy. He's the only person in the divison that has a chance at beating Machida. Shogun? Jesus Machida would wreck him. Forrest? Now way in hell. And Anderson Silva won't fight Machida since they are good friends, so there goes that.
And I have to disagree with you, Rampage is very one dimensional. All he wants to do is box, he's got decent takedowns but he sucks on the ground (his fight with Forrest) and if Tito couldn't even get close to a takedown, how could Rampage?

I think that the only person who has A SHOT at beating Machida is Shogun. He's quick enough (if he's in shape) and a good enough striker to cut off Machida as he circles, he's got a good clinch and good takedowns from the clinch, and good jiu jitsu, which is important because it looks like the only way to beat Machida is on the ground where he will be less unorthodox.

WAR BUNDY!
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Well we can argue about whos going to beat machida, but tonight we have one of the better non Zuffa MMA cards of the year

make your picks for dream 9

Here we have a title fight, the second round of the Featherweight tourny, and the open round of the freakshow the Super Hulk tourny

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller (for vacant middleweight title)
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Joe Warren*
Bibiano Fernandes vs. Masakazu Imanari*
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Hiroyuki Takaya*
Abel Cullum vs. Hideo Tokoro*
Gesias "JZ" Cavalvante vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Mark Hunt vs. Gegard Mousasi+
Jan Nortje vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou+
Jose Canseco vs. Hong Man Choi+
Ikuhisa "Minowaman" Minowa vs. Bob Sapp+

Miller ko
KID ko
Fernandes via dec
Maeda dec
uhhhh lets say, cullum
JZ by knock out, Best LW fighter outside of the UFC
Mousasi sub, Mark Hunt looks worse and fatter each time out
Sokoudjou ko, I know nothing about the guy hes fighting and hope Soko can pull it out
Hong Man Choi by MURDER
I hope Bob Sapp fucking kills minowaman, I hate that guy, such a d-bag. However I think this fight is a work so minowaman sub

Even if you miss it make sure you check out the fights after the fact
Watch the JZ/kaw fight, Kid/warren, Miller/Jacare, and of course see conseco get fucked up
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Oh shit, I didnt even realize they were tonight, thought they were tomorrow.

Oh well Im gunna miss em, but I have HDnet and a DVR

As should all MMA fans
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Just watched all the fights online, I thought it was on tonight...My thoughts:

Mark Hunt needs to hang up the gloves, he has gotten owned 2 fights in a row by middleweights.

It really sucks seeing JZ and Kid Yamamoto lose, the long layoffs hurt both of them.

I really wanted to see Jacare whoop ass, what a weak ending.

LOL @ Canseco, who didn't see that coming?

Sokodjou is an asshole for throwing those blows after the ref stepped in.

No godly leglock from Imanari sucks.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Well, it looks like Shogun is gonna get the next crack at Machida; Rampage and Rashad are coaching the next season of TUF, and Machida doesn't want to wait for a fight.

From MMAMania:
The 2005 Pride FC Middleweight Grand Prix winner, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, earlier this week did indeed sign a bout agreement to challenge UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida, which will more than likely take place at UFC 104 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Oct. 24.

SuperLutas.com.br was able to confirm the rumored match up with sources close to the Brazilian’s camp.

Rua is coming off a first round technical knockout of former 205-pound champion, Chuck Liddell, at UFC 97: “Redemption” last month. He defeated Mark Coleman via third round technical knockout in a lackluster performance earlier this year at UFC 93: “Franklin vs. Henderson” to earn a crack at the “Iceman.”

It’s perhaps not the match up that most fans expected, especially when UFC President Dana White revealed over the weekend that Quinton “Rampage” Jackson would be the first to challenge Machida for his newly-won world title. But that all went out the window a few days later when Jackson apparently pressed UFC officials to settle a score with Rashad Evans via The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 first rather than compete to get his belt back.

That left Machida — who flattened Evans at UFC 98 to win the belt — all of a sudden without a number one contender … until now.

Keep in mind that White did not announce the bout yesterday during a media conference call because he indicated that not all bout agreements were finalized. That more than likely means Machida — who is currently celebrating his big win on a beach near Belem — may still have to agree to the fight and formalize it with a signature.

We’ll keep you posted.

I don't think Shogun is at the top for a title shot, but he's really the only big LHW on a win streak who doesn't have a fight lined up for the near future, so I guess it makes sense. I hope Shogun continues to train hard with a good camp, as he's well rounded enough to deal with Machida.
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

I think that a title shot for Shogun is a little soon, but I can't think of anyone else who's done anything in the division to earn one, and it beats waiting around until the end of another season of B level fighters showing how lame a combination of a complete lack of cardio and 6 months of training "ultimate fighting" can be.

Shogun by leglock.

WAR BUNDY!
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

Anyone watching?

BD888
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BD888 »

SlayerNPG wrote:Anyone watching?

How many weight classes does Riggs yo-yo between? The first time I saw him fight he was heavy weight and weighed like 250lbs, now he's fighting at what 185lbs?
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

BD888 wrote:
SlayerNPG wrote:Anyone watching?

How many weight classes does Riggs yo-yo between? The first time I saw him fight he was heavy weight and weighed like 250lbs, now he's fighting at what 185lbs?
He has fought at HW, but he's been at 170 and 185 for the last couple of years. Baroni has a fuckin' chin of iron.

Overall, a pretty good night of fights. I don't think anyone predicted Arlovski getting annihilated in less than 30 seconds. I like watching Diaz fight, very entertaining guy, those punches look weak as fuck, but I guess it hurts pretty bad after you've been hit by 500 of them. Also, has anyone ever seen Diaz look happy? The dude has like a permanent scowl, of course I would too if I had to live in Stockton.

WAR BUNDY!
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

SlayerNPG wrote:Image
He really should have circled away instead of going straight back.

WAR BUNDY!
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Man the sport has really passed Randleman by, the only good he did was bucking and that one shot at finishing the fight. Mike whitehead is really not great at all0.

Riggs looked against the NYBA, but doesnt say all that much

Im pissed AA got KOed, fuck I really like the guy shitty luck, shitty chin. But hopefully we can see Rogers vs Overeem and see where Rogers stacks up in the Division. Who knows, a year from now we could see rogers scrappin with Fedor.

Diaz looked like Diaz against Smith, I like Smith so it sucked seeing him get beatdown and tapped like that. I dunno whats next for Diaz Him and sheilds should talk get one to stay at 185 and one at 170.

Sheilds keeps the streak alive, I thought lawler was going to KO him for sure, and I thought sheilds didnt look as shitty standing as the anouncers said he was.

Him or Diaz need to get to the UFC WW division.

Great event and I love the announcing team.

WEC tonight great weekend of MMA
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

Holy fuck! That was an incredible card for the WEC, plenty of great fights with fighters that were in shape. Faber's a tough dude, that hand was fucked up, but Brown is a monster. He was able to toss Faber around like a little kid, but Faber made it a fight.

I felt bad for Pulver, he either needs to retire or work on his guillotine defense. Jose Aldo is a beast and I want to see him and Brown throw down.

And just in case you missed it, a flying triangle... one more time... A FLYING TRIANGLE!

Great weekend of fights.

WAR BUNDY!
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Jens was paid over 30 grand for that outing, because of his name he deserved it, but he needs to hang it up or go fight one more time. NOT against some young kid whos trying to make a name for him self. Rumina Sato or Alexnadre nogueria. Guys who have big names and are past there prime like Jens, Nogueira fought for the WEC so make it happen.

Of course if Jens is done then more power to him, shame he didnt make the weight drop years ago.

The cowboy will for the litle again to see who is the most overrated LW, swell. Just merge the LW div with the UFC already, get the flyweight div running.

Joes aldo is a fucking stud, cant weight for his title fight. Sick striker with the one of or THE best BJJ MMA camp around, deadly combination.

I think the main event would have been completly differnt if Faber didnt break his hand (or possibly hands) it was a great battle and Mike brown is a respectful but talented champ. I would really want to see a third fight if Faber can rise up the ranks, I doubt he would drop to BW now because his good friend is in line for a title shot.

And yeah, Flying fucking triangle. First flying submission in the UFC or WEC (if you dont count jumping gullitines)
ultraphobic71
Headlining Clubs

Post by ultraphobic71 »

The New WWE CCO Donna Goldsmith stated that MMA isn't much of a threat to WWE because MMA doesn't have real stars or storylines. "Somebody gets knocked out and they're hurt and that may be the last you ever see from them again," she said while adding that WWE can repackage it's superstars.