The Never Ending MMA thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Re: The Never Ending MMA thread

Post by yeahbuddy »

I love watching Nate Diaz on talk shows like Conan OBrien & on ESPN.
I think he is funny & seems happy going along for the ride.
Nate & Conor make great enemies to each other, if that makes sense.
burt1098
Headlining Clubs

Post by burt1098 »

yeahbuddy wrote:I love watching Nate Diaz on talk shows like Conan OBrien & on ESPN.
Agreed. He seems genuinely happy and for the most part comfortable with the spotlight on him. It has let people see the mellow, funny Nate.

It's funny watching McGregor try and promote the fight. He can't do it with shit talk. And Nate just keeps pouring praise onto McGregor. Doesn't bash him or talk shit, just reminds people who won the first fight.

Hard to talk shit to the guy that punched you in the face enough to make you dive to the ground for a mercy tap. Every move McGregor makes, Nate already has him at checkmate.
IDIAMINDADA wrote:
I had no idea black people played horseshoes.

" It didn't say ya' couldn't...."
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

burt1098 wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:I love watching Nate Diaz on talk shows like Conan OBrien & on ESPN.
Agreed. He seems genuinely happy and for the most part comfortable with the spotlight on him. It has let people see the mellow, funny Nate.

It's funny watching McGregor try and promote the fight. He can't do it with shit talk. And Nate just keeps pouring praise onto McGregor. Doesn't bash him or talk shit, just reminds people who won the first fight.

Hard to talk shit to the guy that punched you in the face enough to make you dive to the ground for a mercy tap. Every move McGregor makes, Nate already has him at checkmate.

Conor has toned done his act a bit, just a bit. But since he lost last time, I think he needs to keep his mouth shut & get the job done.
I think McGregor will win this time, and third fight will happen maybe NYC if both fighters come out of this one with no serious injuries.
I'm a big fan of both so I'm good either way. McGregor was winning the first fight until his gas tank went on him, and he got clipped & that was the end.
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

yeahbuddy wrote:
burt1098 wrote:

Conor has toned done his act a bit, just a bit. But since he lost last time, I think he needs to keep his mouth shut & get the job done.
I think McGregor will win this time, and third fight will happen maybe NYC if both fighters come out of this one with no serious injuries.
I'm a big fan of both so I'm good either way. McGregor was winning the first fight until his gas tank went on him, and he got clipped & that was the end.
He was winning against a Diaz that had zero training camp on a weeks notice. Can't really take too much from the first fight either way. Most likely this fight will look a lot different.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
burt1098
Headlining Clubs

Post by burt1098 »

I am so stoked to see Diaz/McGregor II. Has the potential to be a crazy good fight.

Diaz with a full camp.
McGregor with the experience of fighting once at 170, and being able to learn from his mistakes in preparation.
Both fighters having tons of time to prepare for a particular opponent.

McGregor was beating Diaz to the punch (til he wasn't). If you go watch the fight again, notice how the 1st round is pretty even. Yeah McGregor cut Diaz, and got at least 3 other clean lefts into his face. But he really never hurt him. Diaz got a couple of hooks, check hooks and jabs to McGregor's face and got a takedown. It's the 2nd round where McGregor came out and actually dominated the first almost 3 minutes (?). There is an uppercut he lands that was almost Rockem Sockem Robot time. Then Diaz hits him with a combination and you see the fight leave McGregor's face. They exchange some shots, some combos, Diaz puts him against the cage, lands a knee, and smacks him in the face about 15 times (no seriously, go back and watch the fight). McGregor slips away, Diaz stalks him down, gives him a combination that rocks him hard, McGregor shoots the most awkward shoot in MMA history (not really, but close), Diaz dominates him fairly quickly and it's over.

I say McGregor fights the same fight. He just comes in with as much cardio as he can have, and is more careful about how many bombs he throws. It's who he is. It's how he fought Mendes, Siver, Holloway...etc. He can't out wrestle Diaz, he can't get a submission against Diaz. His strength is that fast left hook and fast uppercut, plus his fast movement. Diaz will also fight the same fight, because it's who he is. He will just have had plenty of time to be ready for what he saw in the 1st fight, plus having a full camp and sparring.

McGregor will be more laid back I think, pick his shots more...etc. The problem is Diaz puts a lot of pressure on people also, but has the cardio to do it for 5 rounds. And after a full camp to prepare for a particular opponent? Look out...Lol...And how will McGregor react to that? Get on his bike and ride? I don't think we've seen him do that before. But it could work, he has a great left hand and is quicker than Diaz. But Diaz stalks people, and just keeps hitting them with half strength punches. I watched Diaz/Cerrone the other night (It's on Directv on demand free if you have it). Diaz chased him/pressured him for 3 rounds. And the pressure got worse as the fight went on. I think he set a record for most punches thrown/landed or some shit like that. It was crazy to watch how many punches he threw, and he just kept coming forward.

I can't wait to see what happens in this fight. No way in hell it goes full 5 rounds. But I also don't see it going the way the 1st one did. All McGregor has to do is relax a little and he can almost guarantee a 3rd/4th round. It's the end of the 3rd/4th round where this gets interesting I think. I got Diaz in the 4th. I think he overwhelms McGregor with boxing like the last fight, and submits him via triangle. Double middle fingers in the air. :o

I already have my spot on the couch, beer in the fridge and pizza guy on speed dial for this one.
IDIAMINDADA wrote:

yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

EddieVanHeineken wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:
burt1098 wrote:

He was winning against a Diaz that had zero training camp on a weeks notice. Can't really take too much from the first fight either way. Most likely this fight will look a lot different.
You are right about that.
All in all I think he took Diaz too lightly. I appreciated his honesty after the fight, and how he lost the fight.
I think he needs to use his kicks more on Diaz similar to what Dos Anjos did to Nate.
Whatever happens in their fight its a great night of fights. Even though they took off the Condit/Mai fight, still good.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

yeahbuddy wrote:
EddieVanHeineken wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:

All in all I think he took Diaz too lightly. I appreciated his honesty after the fight, and how he lost the fight.
I think he needs to use his kicks more on Diaz similar to what Dos Anjos did to Nate.
Whatever happens in their fight its a great night of fights. Even though they took off the Condit/Mai fight, still good.
Which I'm obviously really happy about! :P
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

pieceofme wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:
EddieVanHeineken wrote:
Yeah you are!
Condit/Mai needed to be a main event fight. Although neither will get a title fight with win. Wonderboy has that wrapped up.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

yeahbuddy wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:
Yeah you are!
Condit/Mai needed to be a main event fight. Although neither will get a title fight with win. Wonderboy has that wrapped up.
Definitely. Would love to see him win the title. Who would have a better chance against - Lawler or Woodley?

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

pieceofme wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
Yeah you are!
Definitely. Would love to see him win the title. Who would have a better chance against - Lawler or Woodley?
Well, hopefully Woodley!

yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

pieceofme wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:
Yeah you are!
Well, hopefully Woodley!
Wasn't expecting that, but Lawler has been playing with fire his last couple of fights.
Should be a good fight between Wonderboy & Woodley. I'm thinking Wonderboy for the win. No one has come close to figuring him out yet, and I don't
see Woodley doing it.
Wow! 7 belts have changed hands this year & just 1 month over the half way point.
Super cool Pol against Pol in Poland for the championship.
Anyone watch the Invicta fights the night before?
If anybody can beat Joanna Champion its the girl that won the main event last night's Invicta card.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

burt1098
Headlining Clubs

Post by burt1098 »

Okay, who we got tonight?

Diaz over The Leprechaun
Johnson over Texiera
Cerrone over Story
Lim over Perry
Means over Homasi

Garbrandt over Mizugaki
Avila over Lobov

Magny over Larkin

The rest of the fights meh...
IDIAMINDADA wrote:

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Yeah I have Diaz as well. I also picked Diaz in the last fight in the second round! Connor should just go back to his lower division. He's out of his league fighting these bigger fighters imo.

edit. now watch him win after I said that. :lol:

EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Rewatched the first fight between Connor and Nate before...

It's funny how Connor and his fans think he was destroying Nate until he tired. In the first round, most of his punches were glancing blows and Nate was rolling and moving with the punches. Nate landed quite a bit on Connor as well. Connor won the first round, but it was a lot closer than many people think.

As far as tonight, I have a feeling Connor is going to be throwing a lot of leg kicks and throwing a lot less. He does have a good chance to win, but most likely not by KO. Unfortunately for him, Nate does not tire and he will come forward throwing if Connor isn't pressing him. I think Nate takes it in the end via finish, Stockton slap TKO or sub after Connor once again becomes a panic wrestler.

WTF happens to Connor if he loses in devastating fashion again? I can't imagine what he will be like after that. If he does and has to go back to fight Aldo and loses again, I can see him retiring from UFC.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Is there anywhere online to pirate tonight's PPV? I don't feel like going to Buffalo Wild Wings nor paying $60 for 2 fights :lol:
Cyber Spirit
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Cyber Spirit »

Great fight. Really enjoyed it.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

i don't think diaz lost. first 4 were split. i think diaz won the 5th
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Will have to watch it again, but I had Nate winning. Mac looked done at end of 2 and in round 3. He had that oh shit look on his face. Nate didn't have enough to put him away. He shouldn't have clinched so much at that time. Great fight though. Great card all around.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I had it for MacGregor (just) until the takedown. After that, i could've seen it go either way. He had the first and fourth, Diaz the third and fifth with the second split (Diaz finished that one strong but not before he took some shots). So close I can understand others seeing it differently. Entertaining as hell whatever the case.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

It seems a lot of people think Diaz had it, and that it might be a fix.

No such problems with Johnson's fight!

brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

Conor fought a lot differently this time. When I watched the first fight I kept thinking, "What are you doing? You're not the same height!" You can't fight a tall guy as if you have the same reach and the same body mass, and that's what Conor did the first time. This time he trained specifically for a taller fighter...

They both want a 3rd fight, but Dana White just announced if Conor doesn't drop weight and fight, he's going to be stripped of his belt. I can't say I blame him, the guy needs to defend his title, and he's been given a lot of leeway, but it's still disappointing.

I don't think they hate each other at all. It's for show. When the bell rang, Diaz helped pull Conor up and they were both smiling. I'm waiting for the day when a picture of them smoking a blunt together surfaces.

Even Conor, with his big mouth... After he beat Aldo, he was a complete gentleman during the post fight press conference. None of this, "I kicked his ass, ate him for lunch," bullshit.
burt1098
Headlining Clubs

Post by burt1098 »

This coming from a Diaz fan...

1st: 10/9 McGregor -- McGregor put Diaz down, landed more good punches/kicks.
2nd: 10/8 McGregor -- He put Diaz down TWICE. Yeah Diaz changed the tide at the end of the round, but McGregor did more. (Maybe score it a 10/9 round?)
3rd: 10/9 Diaz. Remember, I'm a Diaz fan so...McGregor running away, and also Diaz had him up against the ropes throwing a lot of shots to the face. McCarthy even walks McGregor back to his corner after the round. Then asks him if he's okay at start of 4th.
4th: 10/9 Diaz. I could see it being a toss up though.
5th: 10/9 Diaz (If that round lasts 10 seconds longer, it's stopped for ground and pound carnage).

I saw it 47/47 with Diaz winning 3 rounds. But I'd have to watch it again. I have no problem with McGregor winning the decision. It was that close. Only problem I have is fighters that hump, and fighters that run. And that little fucker ran so much Nate was pointing it out and laughing.

Overall just a great fucking fight.

McGregor/Aldo at Madison Square Garden in December, and let's see Diaz/McGregor III March or April of 2017 in Ireland.
IDIAMINDADA wrote:

EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

brotherplanet wrote: I don't think they hate each other at all. It's for show. When the bell rang, Diaz helped pull Conor up and they were both smiling. I'm waiting for the day when a picture of them smoking a blunt together surfaces.
Nate, and Nick as well, has talked about this at length....he has to make himself hate his opponent. They don't want to be friends or friendly with anybody they might have to fight. To them, fighting is going to war and you can't punch a friend in the face and try to hurt them. That's their mindset. It's not, by these terms, "selling the fight". It's getting themselves psyched up to get hurt in the the process of trying to hurt someone else.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
Cyber Spirit
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Cyber Spirit »

pieceofme wrote:It seems a lot of people think Diaz had it, and that it might be a fix.

No such problems with Johnson's fight!
75% of MMA media covering the fight had McGregor 3 rounds to 2. It was a close fight but McGregor winning rounds 1,2 and 4 was how a lot of people saw it. A fix is a stretch, I believe.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

burt1098 wrote:This coming from a Diaz fan...

1st: 10/9 McGregor -- McGregor put Diaz down, landed more good punches/kicks.
2nd: 10/8 McGregor -- He put Diaz down TWICE. Yeah Diaz changed the tide at the end of the round, but McGregor did more. (Maybe score it a 10/9 round?)
3rd: 10/9 Diaz. Remember, I'm a Diaz fan so...McGregor running away, and also Diaz had him up against the ropes throwing a lot of shots to the face. McCarthy even walks McGregor back to his corner after the round. Then asks him if he's okay at start of 4th.
4th: 10/9 Diaz. I could see it being a toss up though.
5th: 10/9 Diaz (If that round lasts 10 seconds longer, it's stopped for ground and pound carnage).

I saw it 47/47 with Diaz winning 3 rounds. But I'd have to watch it again. I have no problem with McGregor winning the decision. It was that close. Only problem I have is fighters that hump, and fighters that run. And that little fucker ran so much Nate was pointing it out and laughing.

Overall just a great fucking fight.

McGregor/Aldo at Madison Square Garden in December, and let's see Diaz/McGregor III March or April of 2017 in Ireland.
EddieVanHeineken wrote:Will have to watch it again, but I had Nate winning. Mac looked done at end of 2 and in round 3. He had that oh shit look on his face. Nate didn't have enough to put him away. He shouldn't have clinched so much at that time. Great fight though. Great card all around.
Kid-Wicked wrote:i don't think diaz lost. first 4 were split. i think diaz won the 5th
The resident retards knows best
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Well, with the exception of the main event, I really enjoyed my first live UFC event.

Once Maia got Condt there was that air of inevitability around the arena that it was over. Maia looks unstoppable atm. Surely a title shot will come soon. Probably after Wonderboys.

Best fight of the night was either Anthony Pettis vs. Charles Oliveira, or Alessio Di Chirico vs. Garreth McLellan.

Crazy knockout by Paige VanZant as well.

yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

pieceofme wrote:Well, with the exception of the main event, I really enjoyed my first live UFC event.

Once Maia got Condt there was that air of inevitability around the arena that it was over. Maia looks unstoppable atm. Surely a title shot will come soon. Probably after Wonderboys.

Best fight of the night was either Anthony Pettis vs. Charles Oliveira, or Alessio Di Chirico vs. Garreth McLellan.

Yeah,
that main event was a giant "Kur Plunk". The sad thing was once he got his back, there was absolutely nothing Condit could do. I said to myself "this is over", and it was.
I'm a big Wonderboy fan, but would rather see Maia get the shot at Woodley. Both Maia & Wonderboy have cleared out the division so neither have another opponent besides
Woodley & each other.
So many options for Pettis at 145lbs. Frankie Edgar, Max Holloway etc etc. Personally I thought he was losing fight, but score cards had him ahead, so even if it went to
decision he would have won.
Not a Paige fan at all, but that was one hell of a knockout. Put her against any of the top 3 of her division & she gets slaughtered. Joanna Champion probably looks at her, and
laughs.
Did you get there for the early fights? Seeing the fights live is much different than tv isn't it?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

yeahbuddy wrote:
pieceofme wrote:Well, with the exception of the main event, I really enjoyed my first live UFC event.

Yeah,
that main event was a giant "Kur Plunk". The sad thing was once he got his back, there was absolutely nothing Condit could do. I said to myself "this is over", and it was.
I'm a big Wonderboy fan, but would rather see Maia get the shot at Woodley. Both Maia & Wonderboy have cleared out the division so neither have another opponent besides
Woodley & each other.
So many options for Pettis at 145lbs. Frankie Edgar, Max Holloway etc etc. Personally I thought he was losing fight, but score cards had him ahead, so even if it went to
Not a Paige fan at all, but that was one hell of a knockout. Put her against any of the top 3 of her division & she gets slaughtered. Joanna Champion probably looks at her, and
laughs.
Did you get there for the early fights? Seeing the fights live is much different than tv isn't it?
Yeah, I arrived for the first fight. Wanted to get my moneys worth! It is different live for sure.

I thought Pettis was winning. I found it ironic that he won by submission, considering Oliveira was determined to fight on the ground! That side kick to the ribs to Oliveira was immense. You could see Oliveira crumple. He took a lot of damage. The crowd was going crazy for that fight.

I don't think Wonderboy would match up well with Maia. His take down defense isn't that great. The last person to beat him was Rory MacDonald, and he isn't even the UFC anymore! His takedown defense is also one of the best in the division.

yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

pieceofme wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:

Yeah,
Woodley & each other.
laughs.
Yeah, I arrived for the first fight. Wanted to get my moneys worth! It is different live for sure.

I thought Pettis was winning. I found it ironic that he won by submission, considering Oliveira was determined to fight on the ground! That side kick to the ribs to Oliveira was immense. You could see Oliveira crumple. He took a lot of damage. The crowd was going crazy for that fight.

I don't think Wonderboy would match up well with Maia. His take down defense isn't that great. The last person to beat him was Rory MacDonald, and he isn't even the UFC anymore! His takedown defense is also one of the best in the division.
You are right about getting money's worth. The funny thing about that is you, me, & maybe another 100 fans think the same way.
When you are there live the hits, kicks, and take downs are so much more than watching on tv. When I went to the Weidman/Silva fight, when Silva broke his leg it was nasty.
We heard the snap of the bone. Nobody knew what it was until Silva crumbled to the ground. And when they showed the replay, the sound the crowd made was something else. The
girl next to me says "I think I'm going to throw up".
And on tv you don't realize how loud everything is. Its like a rock concert! I can only imagine what its like for a McGregor fight.
I think Wonderboy matches up well against Maia. Wonderboy is always moving, and stays at a distance to do his kicks.
I don't know if you took a look at the merch booth or not, but they have a wireless receiver with ear buds that you can purchase & you can listen to the broadcast as you are watching the fight
live.
So, was the price you paid for ticket worth it?