The official 2009 CFL (Canadian Football League) thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Re: The official 2009 CFL (Canadian Football League) thread

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

montreal
saskatchewan
hamilton
edmonton

RIP Etch. Truly one of the all time greats.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Ya know, complaining about the officials in the CFL is pointless. They're going to fuck something up almost every night...all you can do is hope they don't effect the outcome of any given game.

Tonight though, that debacle at the end takes the fucking cake. If i was Trestman i don't think i could contain myself. Not only did the retarded and blind crew on the ground fuck it up, the replay guys back in toronto (or wherever the fuck they are) just reached out and fucking stole the game from Montreal for NO REASON. What the FUCK?

Did Jake Ireland have a few grand riding on the upset in Vegas?

That was PATHETIC and it makes the CFL look like a fucking bush league.

/end rant
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

b.c. called a time out. the clock kept running. the officials in toronto caught it, the on-field officials missed it. it took too long to relay the info to the field.

montreal scored on a dead play WHICH THEY WERE OFFSIDE anyway!

the right calls were made.

2 yards rushing in the first half for avon. 96 in the second half.

nice play calling.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Ya know, complaining about the officials in the CFL is pointless. They're going to fuck something up almost every night...all you can do is hope they don't effect the outcome of any given game.

Tonight though, that debacle at the end takes the fucking cake. If i was Trestman i don't think i could contain myself. Not only did the retarded and blind crew on the ground fuck it up, the replay guys back in toronto (or wherever the fuck they are) just reached out and fucking stole the game from Montreal for NO REASON. What the FUCK?

Did Jake Ireland have a few grand riding on the upset in Vegas?

That was PATHETIC and it makes the CFL look like a fucking bush league.

/end rant
Glad you said it and not me. I just knew it though (see my prediction above) - whenever anyone, particularly an Eastern opponent, go into BC Place, something weird happens. Fuckin' Cult of Wally!

The Als offence was rusty as hell, but for god's sake! The Als make it on 3 and 1 and a time out that should never have been granted brings back the play, THEN the Als score a toucdown and its called back because they fucked up the game clock (and no they weren't offside), THEN they make the first down a third time and a crappy spot, ignoring forward progress, gives the ball back to the Lions. What a load of crap!

In any case, Als are still 7-2, it will make them angry ant keep then honest, as well as not clinching too early, and they'll lay a whuppin' on the Lions next week in our house.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Kid-Wicked wrote:b.c. called a time out. the clock kept running. the officials in toronto caught it, the on-field officials missed it. it took too long to relay the info to the field.

nice play calling.
Apon further review, the Penalty on the dead play would have been against BC, who lined up offside.

Also, what about the spot on BC's third and short with 30 seconds left? That was a travesty as well. I can't believe BC are in second place in the west...they needed the officials twice this year to keep them in the race.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:b.c. called a time out. the clock kept running. the officials in toronto caught it, the on-field officials missed it. it took too long to relay the info to the field.

nice play calling.
Apon further review, the Penalty on the dead play would have been against BC, who lined up offside.

Also, what about the spot on BC's third and short with 30 seconds left? That was a travesty as well. I can't believe BC are in second place in the west...they needed the officials twice this year to keep them in the race.
i was at the game and didn't know what the flag was for. on the post game show they broke down the whole series and said the penalty was procedure against montreal.
the 3rd and short was a matter of inches. i think they got it.
there were a few questionable pass interference calls and missed calls too.

oh well, fuck montreal. hehe

bc doesn't have to see them again until.....next week. lol

k.w.
wants buck starting again
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

I didnt see the second half but if the Als play BC on a friday night in BC they will loose every time.

I had a walk through practice today and one of our coaches was on the last team Als team to win in BC place

"its a joke, you already feel like crap, its the worst trip in the CFL, then they make them play at night, if BC wasnt so average they would have rolled them"
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fuckity, fuck, fuck. I just KNEW it! I don't know what's worse, suspecting you got hosed, or knowing you got hosed! Fuckin' Cult of Wally - I can't wait until they miss the playoffs or get demolished by Hamilton in the 1st round!

VANCOUVER – The Canadian Football League’s off-field supervisors made a blatant error late in the fourth quarter of Friday’s game between the Alouettes and British Columbia, victimizing Montreal, director of officiating Tom Higgins has admitted.

“We take responsibility,” Higgins said during a phone interview Saturday with The Gazette. “It was an unfortunate end to the game, and the officials became involved.”

Three times, the Als were forced to run a third-down play from the Lions’ 8-yard line with one minute remaining and Montreal trailing 19-12. The first two plays ultimately failed to count and, on the one that did, Avon Cobourne failed to generate the necessary yard for a first down.

Higgins was unable to talk to head coach Marc Trestman on Saturday, his team returning to Montreal, but was in communication with general manager Jim Popp, who clearly was upset, according to Higgins.

Als backup quarterback Adrian McPherson ran a sneak on the first third-down gamble. Wally Buono, the Lions’ head coach, advised the officials when the timeout should be called. But the whistle wasn’t heard and the play continued.

The league’s press-box supervisor, Larry Rohan, and the replay official in the Toronto-based CFL command centre, former referee Jake Ireland, both believed – incorrectly – that 1:05 remained in the game. A page was sent to the field, but a delay occurred. The play was run; Cobourne scored a touchdown.

Rohan has the authority to order the officials to stop a game. Four of the officials, including referee Murray Clarke, are equipped with the pagers.

“Once they’re paged, that terminates the play,” Higgins explained. “It was just way too close and the ball was snapped. There was too much confusion, and we’ve got to take responsibility.

“It wasn’t the officials’ responsibility. It goes to us … the supervisor and the command centre. And I take responsibility."

Higgins said a whistle blew during the play, before Cobourne scored, but that became moot since the play never should have run. Clarke went to the sideline and was told about the reset, only to advise the parties the clock, indeed, was correct.

That forced the Als into running the play a third time, which proved once too many.

Following the game, most Montreal players expressed confusion and bewilderment over what had transpired, but believed they were victimized.

Trestman, meanwhile, wasn’t willing to say much, putting the onus on the league to explain the series of events. Asked specifically whether the call was correct, Trestman initially refused comment.

“All I know is the play had started and was completed,” he said. “A flag went up (for a B.C. penalty) subsequent to the play being run.”

In all of this confusion, Higgins admitted, the fact the game clock had been corrected was lost between the command centre and the supervisor.

“We got it wrong,” Higgins said. “They (the officials) were paged for no reason. They shouldn’t have been paged. There was thought to be an error on the field. But it was correct.”

Als president Larry Smith said the team’s upper management is in discussions and is attempting to assess the situation to determine whether any recourse can or will be taken.

“Obviously, we’re not pleased,” he said. “It was an unfortunate incident. I hope we can come up with some understanding and learning. “I’ve never seen a situation like that in all my years. I don’t think it has occurred in the CFL. It brings a lot of emotion out.”

The CFL has been using this paging system for a number of years, Higgins said. Following the three-minute warning in the fourth quarter, he added, the communication centre and supervising official are connected by phone until the game’s over. Whether this is the best procedure, or whether this much authority should be given to people not on the field – or in this case, sitting thousands of miles away – undoubtedly will be discussed in the future.

Buono, predictably, saw things differently, although he realizes his team could easily be exploited in the future.

“There’s no controversy,” he said. “Sometimes you’re going to lose. If it protects the integrity of the game, then you have to put up with a glitch. When there’s one glitch in 72 games a season … is it worthwhile saying it’s a negative? There’s going to be glitches in everything.”

Buono suggested giving the referee a different flag he could throw when there’s a challenge from the command centre.

“The problem is that the challenge is silent,” he said. “If there was a flag dropped, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. There’s no visual stimulus that tells us the play has been stopped.”
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

well THAT puts a different spin on things. lol.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Could we see 4 beat-downs this weekend? I've got a few extra dollars for sports-select and I like these winners:

Cats over Argos
Stamps over Shmoes
Als over Leos (buckle up, Lions, it's gonna be a pissed-off Als team)
Riders over Bumblers.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Man - did the Roughies lay a beat down on Winnipeg or what?!

The Als were scary to watch, but pulled it out. The defence is still doing the job, but the offence is wretched to watch right now. Part of it is the fact that two key guys (Bourke and Lambert), who protect Cavillo's blind side, are out, but I also wonder if Trestman is keeping it simple on offence, knowing they have the East all but wrapped up and are, for all intents and purposes, two wins from a Grey Cup victory.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

This week:
Hamilton over Calgary
The Stamps are strating to show signs of the championship team they were last year, but I think the Cats bounce back from last weeks loss to the Argos with a squeaker of a win in front of the home crowd.

BC over Toronto
Buck Pierce is back for the Lions, but they could send Buck Dharma in under centre and still beat the Argos.

Montreal over Winnipeg
How will the Bumblers react to the brutal shit-kicking they took last week? I think they'll bend over and get reamed all over again.

Saskatchewan over Edmonton
GOTW. The Eskies are reeling from two straight losses to the Stamps. The Riders can put some serious distance between themselves and Edmonton with a win...these are the kinds of games the Riders have choked on for years, but I think this team has something going on right now. Riders by 10.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:This week:
Hamilton over Calgary
The Stamps are strating to show signs of the championship team they were last year, but I think the Cats bounce back from last weeks loss to the Argos with a squeaker of a win in front of the home crowd.

BC over Toronto
Buck Pierce is back for the Lions, but they could send Buck Dharma in under centre and still beat the Argos.

Montreal over Winnipeg
How will the Bumblers react to the brutal shit-kicking they took last week? I think they'll bend over and get reamed all over again.

Saskatchewan over Edmonton
GOTW. The Eskies are reeling from two straight losses to the Stamps. The Riders can put some serious distance between themselves and Edmonton with a win...these are the kinds of games the Riders have choked on for years, but I think this team has something going on right now. Riders by 10.
DITTO

This is the game for the Als to get their offence on track again.

Fast Eddie - I don't know what it is, but I keep having visions of a Montreal/Saskatchewan Grey Cup - I feel it. Write it down... week 11 and that's what I'm predicting.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

This week's games:

EAST -

Hamilton over Montreal: Normally I would never pick against the Als in a divisional game, but in the CFL's infernal wisdom they're matching up a team that played on Sunday against a team that played on Friday and the latter is at home. Hamilton is a tough opponent and considering the Als probably just rested/healed on Monday, and traveled on Thursday, I don't know how great the preparation could have been for this game. In football, two days is a HUGE difference.

Toronto over Winnipeg: What a complete and utter mess the Bombers are now. The Als just raped them in trading their 4th string QB for two Canadians who can potentially start and help with the ratio. Who's running the show there?

Calgary over BC: BC has had their moments, but I just don't see this as their year. They'll make the playoffs by virtue of how bad Toronto and Winnipeg are, but I expect them to finish 4th in the West and lose quite a few games now that Wally got his record. Calgary is going to start smelling the potential for being in the Grey Cup at home me thinks.

Sask over Edmonton: Nothing ever goes to form in the screwy West this year, so why not pick the Roughies to return the favor and beat Edmonton on their home field this weekend in the second half of a home-and-home.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

WOLF wrote:This week's games:

EAST -

Hamilton over Montreal: Normally I would never pick against the Als in a divisional game, but in the CFL's infernal wisdom they're matching up a team that played on Sunday against a team that played on Friday and the latter is at home. Hamilton is a tough opponent and considering the Als probably just rested/healed on Monday, and traveled on Thursday, I don't know how great the preparation could have been for this game. In football, two days is a HUGE difference.

Toronto over Winnipeg: What a complete and utter mess the Bombers are now. The Als just raped them in trading their 4th string QB for two Canadians who can potentially start and help with the ratio. Who's running the show there?

Calgary over BC: BC has had their moments, but I just don't see this as their year. They'll make the playoffs by virtue of how bad Toronto and Winnipeg are, but I expect them to finish 4th in the West and lose quite a few games now that Wally got his record. Calgary is going to start smelling the potential for being in the Grey Cup at home me thinks.

Sask over Edmonton: Nothing ever goes to form in the screwy West this year, so why not pick the Roughies to return the favor and beat Edmonton on their home field this weekend in the second half of a home-and-home.

Montreal over Hamilton - I hear you WOLF about the scheduling...not really fair, but every team seems to get hit with it every year. I think the Cats do have a huge advantage, but they're just not good enough yet to take advantage. The Als win a close one.

Toronto over Winnipeg - Bishop=Bomber loss. Who cares really. These two are just fighting over who doesn't suck more at this point.

Calgary over BC - Closer that one might think. Calgary's got some new recievers to work in, and that takes time. If BC has to play Casey Printers for any reason, change that prediction to Calgary wins in a walk. I think Wally's got some sense or urgency instilled in his team, but they won't have their 13th man, the BC Place timekeeper, with them on the road.

Saskatchewan over Edmonton - The Riders have lost the season series, so staying 2 points ahead of Edmonton becomes a big deal. If the Riders lose this one, they've changed the hopes of the rider faithful from 'first place and a bye week'...to 'second place and a home semi-final game'....down to 'hold on to third and avoid the crossover' all within two weeks.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Well, I don't know about you guys, but my Friday night was damn pleasant.

:D

I couldn't be prouder of Coach Trestman and the Als. A short week, against a quality (allegedly), up and coming, opponent - on the road to boot, and the Als put on a clinic. They were dominant in every facet of the game and now,without a doubt, have booked a home date for the East final.

The only opponent from here on in is themslves. They likely won't have a big game for two months and, like last year, that game might very well be against a hungry, Western opponent. Stay focused and they can book the flight to Calgary.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Interesting weekend ahead...

Edmonton over Winnipeg. Winnipeg occasionally come up with an effort and have showed signs of being able to hang with teams and catch some breaks. not tonight though as Ricky Ray carves them up.

Saskatchewan over BC. The riders have played well on the west coast the past few years. Just a hunch here that they can win a close one, likely with a late FG.

Montreal over Toronto. Even with little to play for the rest of the regular season, the Al's won't let down enough to lose this one.

Hamilton over Calgary. Upset of the week. The Cats have played well in the west for the most part. Something is just not right in Cowtown right now and the Stamps are ripe for an upset at home to what should be a weaker opponent.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Interesting weekend ahead...

Edmonton over Winnipeg. Winnipeg occasionally come up with an effort and have showed signs of being able to hang with teams and catch some breaks. not tonight though as Ricky Ray carves them up.

Saskatchewan over BC. The riders have played well on the west coast the past few years. Just a hunch here that they can win a close one, likely with a late FG.

Montreal over Toronto. Even with little to play for the rest of the regular season, the Al's won't let down enough to lose this one.

Hamilton over Calgary. Upset of the week. The Cats have played well in the west for the most part. Something is just not right in Cowtown right now and the Stamps are ripe for an upset at home to what should be a weaker opponent.
Looks like the Als saved you from the dreaded 0-4 bagel this week. Man, I have no clue who is going to come out of the west! Everyone is so streaky - could be anyone.

Stay focused Als, stay focused - you have a 5 week exhibition season, followed by a bye week, and then a helluva big game, hopefully two.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

My first CFL game and the Lions won with just a few seconds on the clock.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

pieceofme wrote:

First game eh? So what did you think? Did you have fun? Will you be back?
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

First game eh? So what did you think? Did you have fun? Will you be back?
Yeah it was good, i'll probably head back at some point. More into the Hockey though.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Just picked me up a pair of tickets for the Eastern Final, in Montreal, on November 22. Family tradition - me and my dad always try and take in this game (when the Als host it). Pretty soon my boy will be old enough and we can make it three generations! Now I just wonder if the Als will actually play an Eastern opponent in the Eastern Final!

Some big games this weekend. I'm taking:

Edmonton over BC - for no other reason than the Eskimos are at home.

Saskatchewan over Toronto - this should move the Roughies into a first place tie, setting up a first place showdown next week in Calgary, once the Als take care of the Stamps Monday in Montreal.

Montreal over Calgary - despite the Als having nothing to play for, they will send a message, at home, to all Western opponents, and Calgary in particular, that we are the team to beat this year.

Hamilton over Winnipeg - this is a big game for playoff positioning in the East. Winnipeg has put it together lately, but I look for Hamilton to right the ship - they are the better squad this year.

Happy Turkey Day Canada!
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

I like all of your picks WOLF. Edm bounces back, Riders bounce back, Montreal dominates and Hamilton wins a close one.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

I didnt get my picks in prior to tonights game, but it's not a stretch to tell you I was picking the Eskimos.

also:

Riders upset Stamps
Hamilton beats a finally snoozing Als team
BC destroys Winnipeg
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:I didnt get my picks in prior to tonights game, but it's not a stretch to tell you I was picking the Eskimos.

also:

Riders upset Stamps
Hamilton beats a finally snoozing Als team
BC destroys Winnipeg
I'm really looking forward to the Rider/Stamps tilt tonight. I like the Roughies to upset them too. Stamps have looked very vulnerable lately and the Riders have been good. Should be a mini-classic.

I can't root against my Als, but I actually wouldn't mind to see the Ticats, and the Bombers for that matter, play a little desperate and BOTH make the classics. I don't want my Als facing a Western opponent in the Eastern final. 1.) It's just not right and 2.)It scares the hell out of me.

Enjoy the games.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

WOLF wrote:I'm really looking forward to the Rider/Stamps tilt tonight. Should be a mini-classic.
You see? What did I tell you.

Fast Eddie - I know the Stamps and Roughies have another game to go, but who holds the edge in the season series right now?
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

WOLF wrote:
WOLF wrote:I'm really looking forward to the Rider/Stamps tilt tonight. Should be a mini-classic.
You see? What did I tell you.

Fast Eddie - I know the Stamps and Roughies have another game to go, but who holds the edge in the season series right now?
The Riders hold the edge due to points scored as I understand it.

Great game, but that roughing the passer call against Chick was total bullshit. On the bright side, Durant just keeps getting better, and it was nice to see the offense re-discover Szarka as a short yardage threat.

Ties suck.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Bombers are actually whooping it up as they beat a Cavillo-less Als squad with nothing to play for.... :shock: They actually think they can play with us! :lol:

My god, when the Als start tuning up for the playoffs next week, at home against these very Bombers, they are going to DESTROY them. I can't wait.... :evil:
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Casey is rusty as fuck, If I wasnt broke as fuck I could have done a roadtrip for this game
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK FACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!