The official 2009 CFL (Canadian Football League) thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

znuff_fan
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Re: The official 2009 CFL (Canadian Football League) thread

Post by znuff_fan »

Wish I could watch this thing, like I used to be able to watch the CFL about 5 years ago. Now they never show it and it sucks. One of the main reasons I would like to go with a dish is for those US sports channels that do play it (Comcast SportsNet Chicago does not and thats what I get on cable). Montreal is a dynasty though, always there....I need to root for the underdog team here....go Roughriders
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

30 minutes from slitting my fuckin' wrists!

I know it's colder than we're use to. I know we're in hostile territory. For god fuckin' sakes - give the QB time to throw, deliver the damn football, hold onto the stupid thing, and stop shanking punts.

I swear you could make a case for our MVP QB and All-Star kicker being on the take. Kudos to the Riders for playing well, but they're not playing THAT well. All I know is if it wasn't for a decent effort from our defence....

AC and company better wake up during half time. This is a nightmare. Throwing away a beautiful season....
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

That was PI, no doubt
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
djwill665
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by djwill665 »

WOW! Congrats to the Montreal Alouettes!! From the jaws of defeat comes the joys of victory What a game! Better than my Panthers in the NFL. :D
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Holy fuck who ever fucked up and went on the feild is just plain fucking retarded. Brings a whole new meaning to the 13th man eh rider nation?
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

What a sick way to lose.

Montreal did not deserve to win that game.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

I've aged 20 years in the last 3 hours. I'm elated that we won, but also in utter disbelief. The Alouettes played horrible, never led, yet won!

That was without a doubt pass interference on the 2-point convert attempt (and maybe even a catch by Bratton with 10 seconds left), so I'm glad we got another chance for vindication. I also would have liked to win on the orginal kick, and not a penalty, but I'll take it. I guess at very least you have to give the Als points for perseverance.

Fast Eddie - your Riders are a hell of a team, and honestly the better team today. I know what a big fan you are, so I hope you're OK. I've lived with bitter disappointment too (the 38-35 2OT loss to Edmonton in 2005) and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, let alone a good dude like you.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Come to think about it this was a pretty good weekend for Canadian football. Both the Vanier cup and the Grey cup were broadcasted on the same network on the same weekend, both great games, both very close games that came down to the last minute.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

Hard to describe what an emotional punch in the stomach that was for me, and everyone in Rider Nation. (I was a kid in 1976 and I remember Tony Gabriel's catch like it was yesterday...this one hurts more right now obvoiusly)

Unlike some Rider fans this morning who insist we beat ourselves...we didn't. Montreal trailed by 16 in the 4th quarter. The league MVP took over and put his team in the position to win the game. Full points to the Alouettes for the win...they were the best team all season and that comeback deserves it's rightful place in Grey Cup history as one of the best come-from-behind wins ever.

There's no shame for the Riders today. Most of the 'experts' picked this team for 3rd or 4th in the west. They've got a great young Quarterback who has a bright future, and a solid core of veterans under contract who are going to be motivated to get back to the Grey Cup and get it right, just like the Alouettes did this season. They'll be back, soon and I hope often in the next few years.

Congratulations WOLF on the Grey Cup Championship...you and the classy and knowledgeable fanbase in Montreal deserve it! (Calvillo, Cahoon and Chiu are all gonna retire!? wow...that's gonna be hard to swallow. Hall-Of-Famers, all of them) This thread, on Metal Sludge of all places, has been a great addition to my enjoyment of the season. It's funny how this corner of the internet has yielded more engaging CFL discussion this season than sites like Riderfans.com and the yammering masses that argue with each other over there. Thanks to everyone who took part, even the Lions fans :wink: ...let's do it again next year.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Hard to describe what an emotional punch in the stomach that was for me, and everyone in Rider Nation. (I was a kid in 1976 and I remember Tony Gabriel's catch like it was yesterday...this one hurts more right now obvoiusly)

Unlike some Rider fans this morning who insist we beat ourselves...we didn't. Montreal trailed by 16 in the 4th quarter. The league MVP took over and put his team in the position to win the game. Full points to the Alouettes for the win...they were the best team all season and that comeback deserves it's rightful place in Grey Cup history as one of the best come-from-behind wins ever.

There's no shame for the Riders today. Most of the 'experts' picked this team for 3rd or 4th in the west. They've got a great young Quarterback who has a bright future, and a solid core of veterans under contract who are going to be motivated to get back to the Grey Cup and get it right, just like the Alouettes did this season. They'll be back, soon and I hope often in the next few years.

Congratulations WOLF on the Grey Cup Championship...you and the classy and knowledgeable fanbase in Montreal deserve it! (Calvillo, Cahoon and Chiu are all gonna retire!? wow...that's gonna be hard to swallow. Hall-Of-Famers, all of them) This thread, on Metal Sludge of all places, has been a great addition to my enjoyment of the season. It's funny how this corner of the internet has yielded more engaging CFL discussion this season than sites like Riderfans.com and the yammering masses that argue with each other over there. Thanks to everyone who took part, even the Lions fans :wink: ...let's do it again next year.
OK, phew, I'm glad you're doing OK. I seriously feel bad for Riders fans, the special teams coordinator who stood before the media and took the heat, and the players - particularly the one who was #13 (Armstead?).

I appreciate you noting the job the Als did in the 4th quarter. They may have played a stinker of a game (or got shut down by an amped Rider team), but when it counted they did some amazing things. Gerald Brown picking off Durant was a huge turning point, Cahoon's TD, the defence forcing the Riders to go two-and-out, Etienne Boulay's head's up recovery of the fumbled punt, Cavillo marching the team down the field and making some clutch completions, and finally Duval's kick. A lot of guys redeemed themselves for a bad game in the final minutes... it was an extraordinary set of circumstances.

I think Cavillo's going to come back for one more year. I believe Cahoon and Chiu will go out on top. Cahoon has hands of glue, but the Als have a very deep, talented receiving corps - I think they'll be OK. Chiu is tough to replace at Center, but Paul Lambert is a big dude who spelled Chiu when he was hurt and can likely do the job. This year's team was very special and it will hurt to see them broken up in any way though.

Finally - thanks to everyone who participated in this thread this year. It would be nice if there were more of us, but those who participate do it with heart! I too enjoy the Monday morning comments (sniping?) and weekend predictions. By all means lets use this as a place to discuss the offseason moves and drama and then we'll start it all up again next summer. This thread is a great tribute to a great game.

Cheers everyone!
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Hate to rub salt in the wounds, but did anyone see the Riders on C'MON MAN!

C'MON ARMSTEAD
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Wasn't Armstead. It was Sean Lucas.

But, at the end of the day, it was the defence, for not stopping Calvillo, it was the offence for not converting a first down, and special teams for not communicating.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Wasn't Armstead. It was Sean Lucas.

But, at the end of the day, it was the defence, for not stopping Calvillo, it was the offence for not converting a first down, and special teams for not communicating.
Yup - it's easy to focus on one play, especially one that comes at the end of the game, but there a million "what ifs". What if Congi had made his first field goal attempt of the game in the first quarter? What if Miller had gone for the kill and attempted to score a TD with 2 seconds to play in the 1st half? What if the Riders made the Als rekick that punt at the start of the 4th quarter (or was it the end of the 3rd) instead of taking the single point. And then, as Fast Eddie points out, what if the Riders had made a first down on their last possession? What if they sack Cavillo on one of those scrambles on the last drive? What if the Riders recover Bratton's punt fumble? What if Durant doesn't throw that last interception?

Guess what- had the Als lost you could have done all the same "what ifs" in reverse! It's a team game, filled with infinite plays that could all make a difference.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

I had to reserrect this thread with all the coaching news going on in the CFL. Quite the week:

- Ritchie Hall decides to take over his own defence in Edmonton (not too surprising)

- Bart Andrus gets the boot in Toronto after one year (also not surprising, alienating and trading your best player will do that)

- Mark Trestman decides to stay with the Als through 2012, opting for the simple life of the CFL, versus coaching a bottom feeder in the NFL (I'm thrilled)

- The Bombers will now be paying three coaches to NOT coach the team as they fire Mike Kelly mere days after saying he'll be retained (I suppose fighting with every media outlet in town, and a domestic disturbance arrest will do that)

Now back to your regularly scheduled winter hibernation!

EDITED to add this article from TSN.ca:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers veteran defensive tackle Doug Brown pulled no punches regarding former head coach Mike Kelly and the turbulent season his team has been through.

''This isn't a personal attack on Mike Kelly, but there were a lot of moments this year that were embarrassing for us because of all the negative attention and then the circus-like atmosphere we were operating under,'' Brown said.

''Football is a volatile enough game without having all these theatrics. I've been playing professional football for 13 years and in the first 12 years I haven't had that much drama in a season like we did this season.''

Kelly led the Bombers to a 7-11 record during a season in which he clashed regularly with players and members of the media. Even before the season began, he publicly criticized the team's previous administration and referred to Saskatchewan as the 'crotch of Canada.'

During the season, he clashed with veterans Derek Armstrong and Barrin Simpson and often displayed contempt for fans and media members.

''I think being a head coach in this community; it's not about a popularity contest with your players, said Brown. ''It's not about whether we like you or not, because publicly we're going to endorse you anyways. It's whether you're a man of character and integrity and whether you represent the ball club the way it's suppose to be done.

''If we're going to look up to you, you have to lead by example. We shouldn't be showing you how to conduct yourself in the public form, and too many times I think that was the case.''

The Bombers relieved Kelly of his coaching duties on Thursday night, the news coming following Kelly's arrest earlier in the day that saw him charged with assault and harassment following a domestic dispute.

Although Blue Bombers board chairman Ken Hildahl said the coach's dismissal was solely related to the team's on-field performance, Brown feels that if you're a member of the Bombers organization than you represent everyone on the team.

''At the beginning of the year we received a book with the code of conduct that as players, we where expected to follow,'' said Brown. ''Maybe we weren't the only ones who should have been reading them.''

Brown, a rock on the Bomber defensive line, recorded 52 tackles, six quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery in 16 games. He earned division all-star honours for the sixth time, and was the Bombers nominee for Most Outstanding

''As a brand, I think we're suffering right now in the public eye,'' Brown said. ''We're the butt of a lot of jokes and that's really hard for me to take right now.''
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

next bomber head coach.........

dave richie i bet.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:next bomber head coach.........

dave richie i bet.
They could go the recycled coach route, but those guys require cash and the Bombers are now paying three ex-coaches. I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of the Als' assistants get interviewed - if they want the job. They would have to decide between being co-ordinators in a great system, but with little chance of being the head guy for at least 3 more years, versus being the top guy in a bad system that they could potentially make better.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

So Danny Barrett didn't get the head coach job at U of Buffalo.

Does he end up back in the CFL?
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Man, success is a bitch sometimes. The latest on the Alouettes is:

- The offensive coordinator is a finalist for the coaching job in Toronto
- The defensive coordinator is a finalist for the coaching job in Winnipeg
- Special teams player of the year, Larry Taylor, has signed with the New York Jets
- Promising receiver Seth Green has signed with the New York Jets
- Kicker Damon Duval seems to be in line for a shot at the NFL
- Leading receiver Kerry Watkins might test the free agent waters to reap a bigger pay day
- Backup QB Adrian McPherson - who's looked good in limited action - is tiring of backing up Anthony Cavillo and has asked for a trade

On the bright side, it seems Ben Cahoon and Brian Chiu have decided to come back.

Can't wait until kickoff 2010! With 5000 seats added the McGill's Molson Stadium, I've taken the plunge and become a season ticket holder!
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

WOLF wrote:Can't wait until kickoff 2010! With 5000 seats added the McGill's Molson Stadium, I've taken the plunge and become a season ticket holder!
Nice!
McGill Stadium is a great place to watch football, and watching the CFL's best team there 10 times a year will be terrific!

The Als could be gutted if all of those guys end up leaving. Hopefully Al Davis doesn't buy out Trestman's contract and lure him to his evil domain in Oakland....heheh

The Riders lost John Chick to the Indianapolis Colts, and Stevie Baggs is not likely to re-sign here...so teh Riders pass rush goes from a stength to a big question mark in a hurry in the off season. And then there's the whole GM thing....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

lions are losing guys too. rumor is mallet has nfl interest. ricky foley too.

miami signed gryce-mullins who was probably the team's worst reciever.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

The San Fransisco Chronicle says that Al Davis has interviewed Marc Trestman for the head coaching job in Oakland.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Kid-Wicked wrote:lions are losing guys too. rumor is mallet has nfl interest. ricky foley too.

miami signed gryce-mullins who was probably the team's worst reciever.
:lol: :lol: Rick foley is a shit head if he thinks that.

Gryce Mullins was such a bum for BC, I have no idea why Miami signed him
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

fucking martel mallet signed with philly
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:The San Fransisco Chronicle says that Al Davis has interviewed Marc Trestman for the head coaching job in Oakland.
The story is refuted in today's Montreal Gazette, but still I worry that where there's smoke there's fire.

Trestman doesn't seem to be the type of guy to sign a contract and then break it though. Especially to go work for the likes of Al Davis.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Well - on the bright side, Mark Trestman handles the offence and Milanovich, while well liked, was kind of second banana with the offence when push came to shove. Still, continuity would have been nice.

From TSN.ca:

The Toronto Argonauts believe they have found their head coach.

Sources tell TSN that the Argos have offered Montreal Alouettes offensive coordinator Scott Milanovich the position.

It is unknown if he has accepted the offer.

Milanovich is coming off his second season as the Alouettes offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He has been with Montreal since 2007.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

lions release javi glatt because wally doesn't see him as an every down guy.

jason jiminez was released because wally basically said he sucks.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

WOLF wrote:Well - on the bright side, Mark Trestman handles the offence and Milanovich, while well liked, was kind of second banana with the offence when push came to shove. Still, continuity would have been nice.

From TSN.ca:

The Toronto Argonauts believe they have found their head coach.

Sources tell TSN that the Argos have offered Montreal Alouettes offensive coordinator Scott Milanovich the position.

It is unknown if he has accepted the offer.

Milanovich is coming off his second season as the Alouettes offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He has been with Montreal since 2007.
Leave it to the Argos to let the one they wanted get away. After paying Bart Andrus $475,000 a year, they wanted Milanovich to take $175,000 with only two years guaranteed. He makes about that as the Als Offensive Coordinator and is next in line for Trestman's job. Why would he leave the Als, for a rotten team with a fucked up ownership situation, for the same money and less of a future?! Anyways - thanks Toronto!