Random observations about the 2009 NFL season.

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Random observations about the 2009 NFL season.

Post by Facedown »

tripsgirl wrote:Ask Wes Welker what he thinks about this...
Welker didn't get hit. This could've happened first play next week.
I guess they should have sat Brady last season in game 1 before he got hurt.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

All of this "not fair to the fans" bullshit is getting old.

Once your team clinches the playoffs, all that matters is that 1st game of the postseason. As a fan, I would love to have my team clinch early and play meaningless games at the end of the season. I don't care if they put bums off the street to play those final games. Goodell is an idiot.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

Tymaster wrote:This is a league that won't let balls go into the stands and fines players who give balls away.

While I love football, the NFL doesn't care about the fans, just the $. This whole London and Toronto thing is going to blow up in their faces sooner or later.
If a team is so successful during the regular season that this team can rest star players in a meaningless game, more power to them.
If any team does NOT like that, then that very same team should win more games and put themselves in a position where the final week or two of games is meaningless.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I don't blame coaches for resting players at all.

If the league is actually this concerned about it just go with an 18 game schedule already.[/quote]

That's pretty much what I'm saying. These rumors that the NFL is going to look into not letting teams do what the Bengals did last night isn't going anywhere. The league can not dictate what players a coach decide to play or not play. Does it suck to watch? Yes. Does it suck for people who paid hard earned money to get a ticket? Yes. But it's a no win. Keep your starters in and lose your starting QB or RB, and you're an idiot coach for keeping your stars in. Protect your starters, plus get your back ups some reps in case they have to come in during the playoffs, and you're a coward coach.[/quote]

Not sure what the league can do. They going to fine Indy for benching Manning? If Peyton Manning would have gotten injured in the 4th quarter of the Jet game, Indy's season is over and Caldwell has to explain why Manning was out there against the #1 defense in the league in a meaningless game.

You're right in saying there is no correct answer. Of course the media will be ready to pounce on the Colts if they go one and one in the playoffs citing that the team got cold by not getting enough playing time in... If they win it all, not a single scribe will mention how smart Caldwell was for keeping his starters healthy and fresh at the end of the year.

Goodell needs to stay CLEAR THE FUCK AWAY from this. The only solution to prevent teams from putting in 2nd rate players is to contract the league by a dozen teams or so. Then you'll be assured of NFL-worthy players being in there when the starters are yanked. I somehow doubt they'll go that route.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

This is nothing new either. Everyone is acting like this just started. I remember several years when the NFC was ass (like it is now) and the 49ers were playing meaningless games against God awful NFC West foes knowing they had a bye week coming up. Used to be the only way Young or Bono got playing time. No one was whining when they hoisted the Lombardi trophy.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Tymaster wrote:This is nothing new either. Everyone is acting like this just started. I remember several years when the NFC was ass (like it is now) and the 49ers were playing meaningless games against God awful NFC West foes knowing they had a bye week coming up. Used to be the only way Young or Bono got playing time. No one was whining when they hoisted the Lombardi trophy.

The topic is once again making headlines because The Commish was on tv yesterday discussing the subject. I think he appeared during the steelers game.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Machado wrote:
Tymaster wrote:This is nothing new either. Everyone is acting like this just started. I remember several years when the NFC was ass (like it is now) and the 49ers were playing meaningless games against God awful NFC West foes knowing they had a bye week coming up. Used to be the only way Young or Bono got playing time. No one was whining when they hoisted the Lombardi trophy.

The topic is once again making headlines because The Commish was on tv yesterday discussing the subject. I think he appeared during the steelers game.
Yeah I caught that. But there is nothing he can do about it. NOTHING. Some years it's an issue, some years it's not. It's just the nature of the beast.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Tymaster wrote:
Machado wrote:

Yeah I caught that. But there is nothing he can do about it. NOTHING. Some years it's an issue, some years it's not. It's just the nature of the beast.
I agree that nothing can be done to "Fix" whatever problem the NFL officials believe there is regarding this topic.
There is no incentive that the league could give to a team in order to "force" star players into the line-up.
Instead of wasting time on this subject, the NFL office should once again concentrate on the NFL Blackout Policy that is obsolete
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

The black out rule is rubbish in this economy. Your average sports fan simply can not afford to take his family to an NFL game very often. To punish us fans by blacking out games is wrong. I agree. Luckily I live in Columbus, so even if (it hasn't happened since 1995) the Browns were blacked out, they still show them here. The only time the Browns are not on is when they play at the same time as the Bengals and the Bengals have a better record. And even has bad has the Browns have been since 1999, I can count on one hand the number of times that happens. And you know what happens then? Every bar in my town, 180 miles south of Cleveland, is packed to the gills with Browns backers!
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by doctordestructo »

UtahRatt wrote:
:lol:
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Tymaster wrote:The black out rule is rubbish in this economy.
I disagree. Cities that won't support their team should lose said team.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

johnk5150 wrote:
What you meant to say was;
OWNERS that won't support their team should lose
said team
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Machado wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:
What you meant to say was;
OWNERS that won't support their team should lose
said team
Both. Virginia McCaskey not pulling the trigger on the three headed assholes yesterday has the city PISSED off.

$tevil
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

gr8twhte wrote:The Vikes might screw the pooch in the playoffs. Just a hunch.
They will win any home game they play in the playoffs.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

NeverSurrender wrote:

the vikes are done. i don't see them winning a playoff game.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

NeverSurrender wrote:
As long as they don't play the Falcons.

$tevil
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

GO JETS !@!!!!!!!
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

In the three seasons in which Indy has had a first-round bye in the Peyton Manning era, it's 0-3, with divisional-round losses at home in 1999, 2005 and 2007. In the six seasons in which the Colts have been forced to take part in the first round of the postseason, they're 3-3 in those games, with a 7-5 overall playoff record in those years. This is a team that has clearly struggled with the how-much-is-too-much-rest issue.
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Punk wrote:With Pittsburgh out, I'll be pulling for Cincinnati and Philadelphia in the playoffs. My head says Dallas and San Diego though.
:lol:

Well alright then! Guess I'll root for Arizona and San Diego now.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Never get sick of watching the Patriots get their ass kicked.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

San Diego is the class of the AFC at this point with the most balanced team. I was thinking SD vs NO for the Superbowl, but the Saints looked bad the past few weeks. I'm not sold on MN because since Favre took control of the offense they have been mediocre. SD vs Dal?
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Was there any doubt that Baltimore's D would easily handle a banged up Brady, and more importantly, a New England offence missing Wes Welker?! I won BIG on this one!
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

My observations about the Patriots:

Matt Light is the most overrated Left Tackle in the game. He looks like a turnstyle whenever he faces a marquee rusher. Vollmer should replace him next season.

The offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has to go. His play calling was atrocious and was a big part of the reason there were so many 4th quarter meltdowns this season. Someone should have told him that Tight Ends are eligible receivers, maybe a ball thrown their way once in a while would have kept the defenses honest.

Letting Jabbar Gaffney leave may have been the biggest mistake from last off season. They could never find a solid #3 receiver to replace him.

Laurence Maroney is fucking worthless. He doesn't hit the holes fast enough and now he can't hold on to the ball. Waste of a 1st round pick. One of the first 4 picks they have in the 2010 draft should be used to get his replacement.

They have 4 draft picks between roughly pick #25 and pick # 57, depending on their exact finish. They also have an extra 1st round pick in '11 from Oak. No more trading back for 3rd, 4th, & 5th rounders to get value, they need quality. It might even be time to trade up to get a stud if it fits one of their big needs. They need:
Defensive End
Inside Linebacker
Corner Back
Running Back
Luminiferous

Post by Luminiferous »

My observations about the Patriots..

Tom Brady being 23 of 42 for 154 yards with 3 interceptions and 1 fumble and Randy Moss with 5 catches for 48 yards and Welker's absence contributed more to the loss than anything.
Being down 24-0 at the end of the first quarter at home to an obvious fired up defense is a morale killer. There was no way they were coming back against that.
Brady looked beaten 15 minutes into the game and carried that look the rest of the game.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Luminiferous wrote:My observations about the Patriots..

Tom Brady being 23 of 42 for 154 yards with 3 interceptions and 1 fumble and Randy Moss with 5 catches for 48 yards and Welker's absence contributed more to the loss than anything.
Being down 24-0 at the end of the first quarter at home to an obvious fired up defense is a morale killer. There was no way they were coming back against that.
Brady looked beaten 15 minutes into the game and carried that look the rest of the game.
I have never seen a Belichick team look that unprepared and lethargic, and I'm going back to his days in Cleveland (remember, I'm a Brownie, I watched every single one of those games, many in person). Throw in the fact that it was a playoff game, and I was downright shocked to see how awful they looked. It was as if the players already had their fishing gear and golf clubs waiting on them in the locker room. Not a Belichick fan, but that team didn't look very Belichick like IMHO.
Now the Ravens, they looked beastly. Look out AFC.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Luminiferous wrote:My observations about the Patriots..

That was Brady's model look. You know, all pouty and stuff.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

SkyDog112046 wrote:My observations about the Patriots:

Matt Light is the most overrated Left Tackle in the game. He looks like a turnstyle whenever he faces a marquee rusher. Vollmer should replace him next season.

The offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has to go. His play calling was atrocious and was a big part of the reason there were so many 4th quarter meltdowns this season. Someone should have told him that Tight Ends are eligible receivers, maybe a ball thrown their way once in a while would have kept the defenses honest.

Letting Jabbar Gaffney leave may have been the biggest mistake from last off season. They could never find a solid #3 receiver to replace him.

Laurence Maroney is fucking worthless. He doesn't hit the holes fast enough and now he can't hold on to the ball. Waste of a 1st round pick. One of the first 4 picks they have in the 2010 draft should be used to get his replacement.

They have 4 draft picks between roughly pick #25 and pick # 57, depending on their exact finish. They also have an extra 1st round pick in '11 from Oak. No more trading back for 3rd, 4th, & 5th rounders to get value, they need quality. It might even be time to trade up to get a stud if it fits one of their big needs. They need:
Defensive End
Inside Linebacker
Corner Back
Running Back
I said the Pats O Line was atrocious during the 2007 season and people laughed on account of the Pro Bowlers, apparently believing a popularity contest = talent, and Brady's "lack of pressure" was teams dropping to protect vs Moss. When teams started coming after the Pats (Ravens, Eagles) it showed how overrated they were.

That year I said:

1. Eli manning would be better off without Shockey in the lineup.

2. Any team with an above average D Line will beat the Pats.

It's too bad the board's been wiped since then.

The Pats should be able to get their hands on one (or more) of the top front 7 guys in country.

If that Pats feel they need an RB early, Anthony Dixon would be a great choice as a second rounder.

However, decent RBs are a dime a dozen and they need D help in a big way, so they'd probably be better off drafting Montarrio Hardesty in the 3rfd or 4th and using their early round picks on D.

UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Classy move by the Saints.

Veteran RB McAllister rejoins Saints
The Saints re-signed their popular all-time rusher on Friday with the intention of making him an honorary captain, but McAllister won't play in Saturday's divisional-round playoff game against the Arizona Cardinals, Saints coach Sean Payton said.

Payton said the Saints first discussed the idea of making McAllister an unofficial guest captain a couple weeks ago. When reserve defensive tackle Rodney Leisle hurt his knee and was unable to practice this week, Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis decided to make McAllister an official part of the team.
"We felt like it was appropriate for the divisional game," Payton said. "He's so well thought of. He's so well respected by the players."

McAllister has been out of football for about a year but participated in a closed practice at the club's suburban training headquarters.

"I'm speechless," McAllister said. "I don't know that there are words to describe this feeling. I do know that we have some unfinished business that we started a few years ago and we want to finish the deal."

McAllister has rushed for 6,096 career yards. His 55 total touchdowns and 49 rushing TDs are also club records, and he was a reliable pass-blocker throughout his career, stout enough at 6-foot-1, 230 pounds, to take on blitzing linebackers.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

UtahRatt wrote:Classy move by the Saints.

Veteran RB McAllister rejoins Saints
The Saints re-signed their popular all-time rusher on Friday with the intention of making him an honorary captain, but McAllister won't play in Saturday's divisional-round playoff game against the Arizona Cardinals, Saints coach Sean Payton said.

Payton said the Saints first discussed the idea of making McAllister an unofficial guest captain a couple weeks ago. When reserve defensive tackle Rodney Leisle hurt his knee and was unable to practice this week, Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis decided to make McAllister an official part of the team.
"We felt like it was appropriate for the divisional game," Payton said. "He's so well thought of. He's so well respected by the players."

McAllister has been out of football for about a year but participated in a closed practice at the club's suburban training headquarters.

"I'm speechless," McAllister said. "I don't know that there are words to describe this feeling. I do know that we have some unfinished business that we started a few years ago and we want to finish the deal."

McAllister has rushed for 6,096 career yards. His 55 total touchdowns and 49 rushing TDs are also club records, and he was a reliable pass-blocker throughout his career, stout enough at 6-foot-1, 230 pounds, to take on blitzing linebackers.
Makes a person want to root for them because of it.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Hey Buffalo fans! Say hello to your new god! Chan Gailey!

Count down to Toronto starts now!