Tom Brady : least valuable player?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: Tom Brady : least valuable player?

Post by thejuggernaut »

tyke wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
tyke wrote:No Drew Brees? No Phillip Rivers?
Not yet. Neither has proven more than squat. Not even Big Ben. Big Ben has the rings, but has the same penchant for stupid mistakes Favre has. Only, Ben has an elite D to bail his ass out.
For the record, I'd take both right now simply for the aspect of going forward. The entire history of the league has proven that drafting a QB can be a very sketchy proposition, and right now Brees is playing at just a notch below Manning / Brady.
To me, the jury is still out on them.

Going forward, team building, I'd take Rivers. However, in a "the window is THIS year" scenario, no way. I'd be more inclined to go with Favre for no other reason than, although it has been 13 years since he's reined it in, he has demonstrated he can. Provided I had a hardass coach who'd stay on him.

Rivers hasn't. Yet.
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

thejuggernaut wrote:Big Ben has the rings, but has the same penchant for stupid mistakes Favre has. Only, Ben has an elite D to bail his ass out.
Ha! Roethlisberger has a career 91 QB Rating and has had only 1 bad year (2006)...without that year he's got 92 total TDs and 52 INTs (112 and 75 as it stands). In the playoffs last year, he threw for 700 yards and 3 TDs with 1 INT, and engineered one of the greatest last minute drives in Super Bowl history, while his D was failing him.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Punk wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:Big Ben has the rings, but has the same penchant for stupid mistakes Favre has. Only, Ben has an elite D to bail his ass out.
Ha! Roethlisberger has a career 91 QB Rating and has had only 1 bad year (2006)...without that year he's got 92 total TDs and 52 INTs (112 and 75 as it stands). In the playoffs last year, he threw for 700 yards and 3 TDs with 1 INT, and engineered one of the greatest last minute drives in Super Bowl history, while his D was failing him.
By and large, he's been a good decision maker, but he does have cement head tendencies and a gunslinger's mentality.

It has resurfaced the past 2.5 years (since Cowher's been gone....hmmm).

Last year ended VERY well, but it wasn't a good year for him. His playoffs were uninspiring. Even the SB, he DID lead a great drive to win the game, but he was aided by spectacular catch that capped off a very mediocre day.

Keep in mind I am also factoring in his college days where he tossed it all over, and I am also factoring in his defiant "I'm not wearing a fucking helmet on my motorcycle" stance, plus this recent offseason - I do not believe him to be guilty, but he sure does have a habit of finding himself in horrible situations, which speaks to his judgment, or lack thereof.

My concern for him is he is starting to mirror Bledsoe's path - kept it reasonably in check under the task master, let it all hang out after task master left, makes questionable off field decisions and holds the ball too long and takes a beating.

Now, he's obviously miles better than Bledsoe, and thus has much further to slide, but I do see a very slow and subtle regression on his part that does mirror Bledsoe.

Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Regression? Dude he's got a 103 QB rating, is throwing for 296 yards per game, and has 13 total TDs so far. If anything, he's in the 2nd tier of QBs behind Brees, Brady, and Manning.

I've watched almost every game the guy's played, and he is clutch as fuck...and getting better. I couldn't believe how many tough, close games he pulled out last year. Now granted, he's done some shit that makes me pull my hair out (what QB hasn't?), but seriously, saying he's regressing seems pretty far from the truth.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Punk wrote:Regression? Dude he's got a 103 QB rating, is throwing for 296 yards per game, and has 13 total TDs so far. If anything, he's in the 2nd tier of QBs behind Brees, Brady, and Manning.

I've watched almost every game the guy's played, and he is clutch as fuck...and getting better. I couldn't believe how many tough, close games he pulled out last year. Now granted, he's done some shit that makes me pull my hair out (what QB hasn't?), but seriously, saying he's regressing seems pretty far from the truth.
That's why I said it's a slow, subtle regression.

It's not statistically evident. Yet. However, 21 INTs in the past 23 games is troubling. His off field issues are a source of concern. His holding the ball and taking so many sacks is a source of concern.

Again, I said it's similar to Bledsoe's undoing.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Punk wrote:Regression? Dude he's got a 103 QB rating, is throwing for 296 yards per game, and has 13 total TDs so far. If anything, he's in the 2nd tier of QBs behind Brees, Brady, and Manning.

P.S. He's in a tier above Brees. Or, perhaps more accurately, a sub-tier. When Brees accomplishes something other than putting up big numbers, then we can reassess it. Until then, I'd take Ben on account of his rings.
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Based on field of work, I'd take Ben. But Brees just seems to be throwing on teams at will right now.

You're right about Roethlisberger taking too many sacks...I'm surprised he hasn't been injured more than he has.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Punk wrote:Based on field of work, I'd take Ben. But Brees just seems to be throwing on teams at will right now.

You're right about Roethlisberger taking too many sacks...I'm surprised he hasn't been injured more than he has.
Brees does look good, indeed. They look a lot like the 99 Rams right now. It would be nice to see them go the distance.

The other problem with the Ben sacks is, if it keeps up, between the wear and tear of getting sent to the ground, a possible injury, and the media pressure, the next natural step is rushing throws. And we know what that means.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:If you could have any one QB for the following situation, who would it be?

You are the coach, it's the Superbowl, you're down by 4 points, there is 1:30 left, you have 1 timeout, and the ball is on your own 20.

The correct answer is Joe Montana. John Elway and Tom Brady are acceptable answers as well.

The opposing coach is hoping you are sending old #4 in so that after the 2 completions and the inevitable INT he can have his QB take a knee and then go and collect his Lombardi Trophy.
That's pure bullshit. Down by 14 I could buy what you're selling, but not down by 4. Down by 4, Favre will lead your team to victory just as well as Elway and Montana would and much much better than that overrated and overhyped media darling Tom Brady.......

Did you see the Vikings/49ers game earlier this season? If your silly little theory was correct Favre would have thrown an INT on that last drive and the 49ers would have won the game, but that's not what happened. Favre has actually had two 4th quarter comebacks already this season, and he's closing in on Elway's all-time record.
What about when the game is tied ??
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Monsters_of_Rock wrote: That's pure bullshit. Down by 14 I could buy what you're selling, but not down by 4. Down by 4, Favre will lead your team to victory just as well as Elway and Montana would and much much better than that overrated and overhyped media darling Tom Brady.......

Did you see the Vikings/49ers game earlier this season? If your silly little theory was correct Favre would have thrown an INT on that last drive and the 49ers would have won the game, but that's not what happened. Favre has actually had two 4th quarter comebacks already this season, and he's closing in on Elway's all-time record.
What about when the game is tied ??
Yeah, and you have the ball at, I dunno - let's say the opponent's 33 yard line.
:lol: