The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by Garbageman »

Lots of road teams winning game ones, now lots of tied series after game twos.

Of course VS. never seems to be showing the games I'd most like to see. I'm sure some of that has to do with NBC wanting to cherry pick the network games on weekend.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

The Predators (2nd best road team) were and easy +210 last night. Thanks Las Vegas.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Lardbucket
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lardbucket »

johnk5150 wrote:The Predators (2nd best road team) were and easy +210 last night. Thanks Las Vegas.
If the Blackhawks actually played all three periods last night it might have been a different result.
Chicago's third period....REALLY soft goal allowed + only 4 shots on goal + horrible turnover = LOSS.
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Goalies are going to be THE story of the playoffs.

-Halak steals game one for Montreal, while Theo is so-so for the Caps

-Brodeur has faded in the last few year's playoffs and Boucher has been, at least, his equal thus far

- Neither Boston or Buffalo score many goals, so Rask and Miller WILL be the story

- Fleury pretty much gives game one to the Sens, but then redeems himself in game 2

- What the fuck is Nabokov on for the Sharks? He's lucky his team can score

- Anti Niemi - so much for that; look out for Pekka Rinne though

- Can Bobby Lu repeat his Olympic success?

- Bryzgalov and Howard let in a lot of goals last night, but I wouldn't bet against MVP candidate Bryzgalov stealing the series
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Duplicate post
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Lardbucket wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:The Predators (2nd best road team) were and easy +210 last night. Thanks Las Vegas.
If the Blackhawks actually played all three periods last night it might have been a different result.
Chicago's third period....REALLY soft goal allowed + only 4 shots on goal + horrible turnover = LOSS.
What the hell were the Hawks defense doing on that second goal? Not clearing and lazy passing left Niemi EXPOSED.

$tevil
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

My biggest worry about the Hawks has been the way they seem to always let up late in games. It's become a pattern - come out blazing in the first period and then begin to fade/nurse leads. If the game is tied (or one goal either way) late, they try to turn it back on.
That shit won't fly in the playoffs.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Jeez, every series is tied after game 2 (except of course the series that's only played one game)!
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

Garbageman wrote:Jeez, every series is tied after game 2 (except of course the series that's only played one game)!
The Hawks/Preds series should be even after tonight, too. I can't see the Hawks playing as badly as they did in the 3rd on Friday.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Lardbucket wrote:
Garbageman wrote:Jeez, every series is tied after game 2 (except of course the series that's only played one game)!
The Hawks/Preds series should be even after tonight, too. I can't see the Hawks playing as badly as they did in the 3rd on Friday.
If they lose tonight Quenville ain't the guy for the job.

It's called urgency Blackhawks. Play with it.

$tevil
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

I have a black cloud hanging over me today. My Habs were THIS close to going up 2-0 on the mighty Caps. I know no lead is safe against those guys, but jeez, we were up 4-1 late in the 2nd and 5-4 with a minute-and-a-half left. Even at 2-0 I wouldn't have been comfortable, but now Washington has all the momentum.

If we can just hang with them, win one at the Bell Centre, and keep making this a series that comes down to a bounce or two...
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

As a Pens fan, obviously I was pulling for the Caps to get knocked off...something tells me Washington is going to roll through the rest of that series now.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

I was pulling for the Habs for the first time in my life. Really tough loss and huge momentum swing. I thought Halak was a little off on those glove side wristers as well. The silver lining is the Washington defense is softer than baby shit.

The tournament has been incredible thus far.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

chungasrevenge wrote:I was pulling for the Habs for the first time in my life. Really tough loss and huge momentum swing. I thought Halak was a little off on those glove side wristers as well. The silver lining is the Washington defense is softer than baby shit.

:D

I saw a Bruins message board yesterday and there was a big debate on whether to cheer for the Habs or not. It was pretty much 50/50 between: "I wouldn't say cheering, but I wouldn't mind if they, and the B's, won" and "I'd sooner cheer for the Taliban".

Withink 5 minutes of the game ending, people were questioning whether Price would get the next start. Halak clearly got knocked off his game when the Caps started buzzing his crease and a Halak on top of his game stops the 5th and 6th goals. It seems Jacques Martin isn't having any of the goalie debate. It seems pretty clear, for now anyways, that he's going to dance with who brung him.

... and yes, the playoffs have been great. A ton of close games and nice flow as well. I'm sure Kaiser Bettman will take all the credit and cite the Coyotes playoff success as a reason to expand to Tuscon next year.
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

johnk5150 wrote:
Lardbucket wrote:
If they lose tonight Quenville ain't the guy for the job.

It's called urgency Blackhawks. Play with it.
Quenneville doesn't have a great playoff coaching record thus far.
.604 win % regular season, .486 playoffs.

They'll win tonight, though. I'd be shocked if Nashville takes two games at the UC all series, much less consecutively.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:I was pulling for the Habs for the first time in my life. Really tough loss and huge momentum swing. I thought Halak was a little off on those glove side wristers as well. The silver lining is the Washington defense is softer than baby shit.

Withink 5 minutes of the game ending, people were questioning whether Price would get the next start. Halak clearly got knocked off his game when the Caps started buzzing his crease and a Halak on top of his game stops the 5th and 6th goals. It seems Jacques Martin isn't having any of the goalie debate. It seems pretty clear, for now anyways, that he's going to dance with who brung him.
Martin should go with Halak. It's too early to panic.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

kicked in?

even the fucking league rep couldn't explain why they overturned it.

the rule book says there must be a "pendulum motion".

there wasn't one.

horseshit call

k.w.
FUCK!!!!!!!
doctordestructo

Post by doctordestructo »

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The Bruins lead the series 2-1. They really lucked out drawing the 3 seed or they would have been swept out by high scoring teams. But they could actually take this series winning a bunch of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.

They'll be toast in the next round if they get there, but for this team to play a competitive playoff series is a bonus after they way they played since January.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

SkyDog112046 wrote:The Bruins lead the series 2-1. They really lucked out drawing the 3 seed or they would have been swept out by high scoring teams. But they could actually take this series winning a bunch of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.

They'll be toast in the next round if they get there, but for this team to play a competitive playoff series is a bonus after they way they played since January.
They're 10-4-1 in their last 15 games. Last night was their best effort of the season. I think you have to give the team and Julien credit for responding down the stretch. Nobody is expecting the cup, but they're not leaving anything on the table, which is all you can ask for. The future is bright.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

Ladies and gentlemen, as though there was no doubt before, the league is completely and utterly rigged against Canadian teams.

Last night proved this without a shadow of a doubt. The disallowed goal against the Canucks is the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever seen in my 20+ years as a hockey fan.

Fuck you Gary Bettman, you conniving Jew fuck.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Royal Dudeness wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, as though there was no doubt before, the league is completely and utterly rigged against Canadian teams.

Last night proved this without a shadow of a doubt. The disallowed goal against the Canucks is the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever seen in my 20+ years as a hockey fan.

LA has movie stars and the Kings haven't been in the playoffs in 8 years. The market is too important to the league. Bettman had to make the call to Toronto on that goal. Besides, you guys had the Olympics.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

chungasrevenge wrote:
Royal Dudeness wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, as though there was no doubt before, the league is completely and utterly rigged against Canadian teams.

LA has movie stars and the Kings haven't been in the playoffs in 8 years. The market is too important to the league. Bettman had to make the call to Toronto on that goal. Besides, you guys had the Olympics.
He had to make the call to Toronto? Are you fucking kidding me? What's the point of having this thread and even following hockey if we all buy into this notion that the league is rigged? I'm beginning to question being a fan of professional sports at all if this is how it really is.

I think deep down I know there's a lot of tampering, but the kid in me wants to ignore it and think the outcome is the result of the actions of the players, not league officials, but that's obviously not the case. Last night was a seriously dark day for the league.

Bettman wants to keep all these small market U.S. teams instead of moving them to Canada, and for what I ask. The Lightning and Hurricanes both won cups, and what the hell has it done for their markets? Jack fucking shit
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Royal Dudeness wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:

He had to make the call to Toronto? Are you fucking kidding me?
Of course I am. It was a shit call, though.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

SkyDog112046 wrote:The Bruins lead the series 2-1. They really lucked out drawing the 3 seed or they would have been swept out by high scoring teams. But they could actually take this series winning a bunch of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.

I called it before the series: Bruins can't score, Sabres can't score; Bruins have goaltending, Sabres have goaltending; Bruins have injuries, Sabres have injuries.

The two teams matched up well. Sometimes it doesn't matter who finished where in the standings; it's who has a hard time with who. I agree the Bruins will probably lose to the Caps or Pens, but if Rask stands on his head, the B's can get an agressive forecheck going, and Savard comes back, you never know...

I'm still shocked about how competitive some of these 1st round series' are though.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Kid-Wicked wrote:kicked in?

even the fucking league rep couldn't explain why they overturned it.

the rule book says there must be a "pendulum motion".

there wasn't one.

horseshit call

k.w.
FUCK!!!!!!!
I agree.

Raycroft needs to start the next game for the Canucks. Bobby Lu has been shakey all season.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

It's not totally out of the realm of possibility that the 5 through 8 seeds will advance to the second round in the West.

The Devils look like 1st round casualties....again.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

alecjonsludge wrote: The Devils look like 1st round casualties....again.
Hopefully, thanks to our new secret weapon.
:wink:

"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Saw the Flyers over March Break in Florida.Carcillo was a really hard worker.If he had a mentor,someone who could filter his energy, he could become a great all around player.I realize most players of his ilk need to play on the edge to be successful,but everytime he goes over the edge it diminshes him IMO.His energy has definitely been an assest against the Devils though,no doubt.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

alecjonsludge wrote:Saw the Flyers over March Break in Florida.Carcillo was a really hard worker.If he had a mentor,someone who could filter his energy, he could become a great all around player.I realize most players of his ilk need to play on the edge to be successful,but everytime he goes over the edge it diminshes him IMO.His energy has definitely been an assest against the Devils though,no doubt.

I'll tell you...today, after hearing the details about the injuries to Gagne and Carter...now is the time someone had better step up, big time.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners