The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Lets just hope when the KINGS do come back they have ditched those horrible uni's they wore last year. Fuck, they were boring. Bring back the large crown!!
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

Bassmaster1984 wrote:Lets just hope when the KINGS do come back they have ditched those horrible uni's they wore last year. Fuck, they were boring. Bring back the large crown!!
No way, I love those jerseys.....and the colors.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

EatTheGlass wrote:
Bassmaster1984 wrote:Lets just hope when the KINGS do come back they have ditched those horrible uni's they wore last year. Fuck, they were boring. Bring back the large crown!!
No way, I love those jerseys.....and the colors.
I have to say, the Kings jerseys are probably my favourite in pro sports right now. Fantastic all the way

Top notch
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

If a deal is done by Sunday then I'm wondering if they will re-schedule the first NBC game with Bruins at Rangers the day after Thanksgiving? I think Kings/Canucks was the late game. Seems like a good launch date. There's only going to be a 7 day camp.

Will Luongo be a Leaf next week? Please make this happen.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

chungasrevenge wrote:If a deal is done by Sunday then I'm wondering if they will re-schedule the first NBC game with Bruins at Rangers the day after Thanksgiving? I think Kings/Canucks was the late game. Seems like a good launch date. There's only going to be a 7 day camp.

You sure are optimistic.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

chungasrevenge wrote:If a deal is done by Sunday then I'm wondering if they will re-schedule the first NBC game with Bruins at Rangers the day after Thanksgiving? I think Kings/Canucks was the late game. Seems like a good launch date. There's only going to be a 7 day camp.

The Bruins/Rangers game is already scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving (11/23).
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

New memo that was leaked today from Fehr, doesn't look good...I think they're too far apart to salvage this season. The players will HAVE to cave and it will take them losing an entire season to do so.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

EatTheGlass wrote:New memo that was leaked today from Fehr, doesn't look good...I think they're too far apart to salvage this season. The players will HAVE to cave and it will take them losing an entire season to do so.
A deal would have to be done by Tuesday for a 11/23 launch. But 11 more days of this nonsense at the most for the 12/1 and 60 game schedule. The Bruins have a 60 game schedule up starting on 12/2. It's one or the other. The NBA deal was done around 11/23. There's no way they lose the season.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

chungasrevenge wrote:
EatTheGlass wrote:New memo that was leaked today from Fehr, doesn't look good...I think they're too far apart to salvage this season. The players will HAVE to cave and it will take them losing an entire season to do so.
A deal would have to be done by Tuesday for a 11/23 launch. But 11 more days of this nonsense at the most for the 12/1 and 60 game schedule. The Bruins have a 60 game schedule up starting on 12/2. It's one or the other. The NBA deal was done around 11/23. There's no way they lose the season.
I'd like to think that too, but do you see the players caving? The owners will stand strong just like in 04.....and Fehr isn't gonna give in. Both sides suck.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:

You sure are optimistic.
My thoughts as well. I think this season is a write off. :( Hope I'm wrong!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

EatTheGlass wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:
I'd like to think that too, but do you see the players caving? The owners will stand strong just like in 04.....and Fehr isn't gonna give in. Both sides suck.
I see the owners caving within 11 days. Not even caving but hitting the already agreed upon end date as determined in September. The numbers are probably pretty close to being acceptable from their standpoint right now. They already got their 50% split. Right now they want the 50% split in year one and something like $211 million guaranteed toward make whole. There's no way they sacrifice what could be a further $2 billion in lost HRR if a season is cancelled not to mention the time it would take to repare the game. Fehr even said last night that the numbers aren't as far apart as the owners would suggest. It's a cash grab and there are still days left for a reach.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

/\

The thing is that the owners are severely fractured over this. Some want to get playing, and others attitude is "fuck it, we're the bosses, let's bring them to their knees".

I think 2/3 of the oweners need to back whatever deal will get put through, and Betteman may be having a hard time with the numbers, given the proposal they land on.

This part of the battle is not so public, but believe me, it's an issue. Not to mention, if a deal that 7-8 owners don't like gets ratified, then all of a sudden you have guys looking to jump ship while the NHL already has a hard time finding decent ownership in many markets.

The season might be a write-off due to internal strife more than anything else.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

After the latest results of all these talks, I'm starting to lose hope.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Aerosmith87 wrote:After the latest results of all these talks, I'm starting to lose hope.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Having hope in these guys is like hoping you marry a stripper and she's a normal wife.

They don't give a fuck. They have millions and billions. Fuck 'em.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:/\

The thing is that the owners are severely fractured over this. Some want to get playing, and others attitude is "fuck it, we're the bosses, let's bring them to their knees".

I think 2/3 of the oweners need to back whatever deal will get put through, and Betteman may be having a hard time with the numbers, given the proposal they land on.

This part of the battle is not so public, but believe me, it's an issue. Not to mention, if a deal that 7-8 owners don't like gets ratified, then all of a sudden you have guys looking to jump ship while the NHL already has a hard time finding decent ownership in many markets.

The season might be a write-off due to internal strife more than anything else.
This ongoing strike will have an effect on the less popular NHL teams. Not good for the league at all. :(

The Panthers were building some momentum and I was excited about the up coming season. :x

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Aerosmith87 wrote:After the latest results of all these talks, I'm starting to lose hope.

Having hope in these guys is like hoping you marry a stripper and she's a normal wife.

:lol:

Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

pieceofme wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:

:lol:
But she said it's true love :oops:
Blizzard of Cos
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Blizzard of Cos »

Blizzard of Cos wrote:Must read for NHL fans

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san-jo ... eedID=6858
High school hockey. AHL. College...it's all hockey and it's all good. And you don't have to sell your soul to get access to it. These fucks will never learn till you don't go back.

But you know as well as I do that once they return with puppy dog eyes cooing about "the fans" you'll open your wallet wide and say "take what you want"

Putz.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

i warned you clowns not to believe in thee dicks.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

The NHL has 4 different schedules set up based on different start dates. The last one is a 36 game schedule and one round of playoffs.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

chungasrevenge wrote:The NHL has 4 different schedules set up based on different start dates. The last one is a 36 game schedule and one round of playoffs.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

NeverSurrender wrote:

Fuck it...she was down with anal.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

:lol: :lol:

I think being an Isles fan make the lockout a lot easier.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

it's not about cash, this is what hockey is about:

John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

NeverSurrender wrote:it's not about cash, this is what hockey is about:

Cindy Crysby?
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

On the surface, prospects for an end to the NHL's 2-month lockout took a nosedive this week, when commissioner Gary Bettman proposed a 2-week moratorium in talks after bargaining reached yet another standstill.

Behind the scenes, there seems to be a seismic shift going on among the NHL's Board of Governors, also known as the group that Bettman answers to collectively.

And Flyers chairman Ed Snider may be the big mover-and-shaker behind it all.

Multiple sources confirmed to the Daily News on Friday that Snider, once seen as a supporter of the Bettman's push to rein in the players' share of revenue, has soured on the process after it became apparent that a deal would not be brokered in time for a Dec. 1 puck drop.

Put simply: Snider and the rest of the NHL's owners were promised a big win by Bettman, with player concessions on revenue division and contracting rights. The best they'll get now is a small win in revenue split - coupled with a demoralized fan base and all-important corporate sponsors that are ready to quit.

A source familiar with Snider's thinking characterized it as: "If this is the deal we are going to get, what's the point of dragging this out?"

Neither Snider nor team president Peter Luukko has publicly addressed the lockout since it began on Sept. 16, for fear of a $1 million fine from Bettman.

Snider, 79, is the NHL's longest-serving governor and serves on the board's executive committee, which helps steer policy. A backroom wheeler-dealer, Snider can make his moves in a practical way via the board's numbers.

When it comes to labor negotiations, league rules require a a vote of 75 percent of governors to oppose the commissioner's recommendation. That means Bettman has absolute power, so long as he has eight out of 30 owners to block any hostile movement against him. Bettman actually needs only seven owners to support him, since the league owns the Phoenix franchise.

There have been many educated guesses over the last few weeks as to which franchises are a part of this "hardline" bargaining group of Bettman's staunchest allies, but my list first included Boston, Minnesota, Calgary, Washington, Dallas, Philadelphia and Anaheim, in addition to Phoenix.

Others did not have the Flyers originally among that hardliners list. But the Flyers' original thinking, at least in terms of what this reporterhad learned, was that they were pro-lockout on Bettman's conditions. They trusted him. They made huge money after the 2004-05 lockout, when their payroll dropped from $71 million in 2003-04 to the capped $39 million number in 2005-06. They also participated in two Winter Classics, hosting one at Citizens Bank Park, and a Stanley Cup final without reaching their previous payroll level in seven straight seasons.

Bettman and Snider have worked well together over the years - and Bettman is well aware of Snider's power, sensing a need to keep the Flyers' owner in his pocket in times like these. For Bettman, the Flyers are a linchpin.

To be sure, Snider and Co. were not against the lockout. Some in the media pegged the Flyers during this process as "middlers," or those that wanted to play but were interested in results.

That all has changed. On Friday, multiple sources indicated Snider's "strong discontent" for Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, a big-market owner who has been one of the lockout's ringleaders.

Despite their on-ice rivalry, there seems to be some thinking that the Flyers are interested in teaming up with the midmarket but high-revenue Pittsburgh Penguins to sway more governors toward a swift resolution. The Rangers are also viewed as anti-lockout.

At the very least, if the Flyers are changing their view, two important questions arise: Which other teams have shifted? Where is this whole thing heading?

While some of the smaller-market teams have been interested in a greater percentage of "hockey related revenue" to help get back in the black, there is a growing sentiment that any lingering effects from this lockout could wipe out a franchise in Columbus, Florida, Nashville or Tampa Bay entirely.

According to a source, the Flyers' top-level executives presented their own proposal for the collective-bargaining agreement nearly 3 weeks ago. It remains unclear whether their proposal was the engine behind the league's progress last week, when they strung together lengthy bargaining sessions in 7 out of 9 days.

The Flyers have also proposed the use of a high-profile mediator to help smooth things out. Former President Bill Clinton's name has been kicked around, which does not make a whole lot of sense, though, given Snider's conservative political ties. Neither side has officially asked for the use of a mediator.

When Bettman proposed the 2-week moratorium in talks this week, which would cause the players to miss their fourth of 13 paychecks, perhaps he was hoping they would get antsy and ask for a vote to end the lockout. Now, with the way things are going, Bettman is likely just hoping it doesn't result in a vote in his own boardroom.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

At least I have this going for me.

Look, I’m as bummed by the NHL lockout as you are. You hockey fans, anyway.

I’m sure we’re all getting tired of watching online highlights of Traktor Chelyabinsk scoring on Bars Astana in the Kontinental Hockey League, and while the Wolves offer a competitive product, you want to see the best, right?

But the best isn’t playing on our continent. So, Stevie Sunshine has an idea: If we can’t see the best hockey players, let’s see the best hockey movie.

Here’s my plan to help depressed hockey fans: I’m organizing a big-screen showing of “Slap Shot’’ at the Music Box Theater on Dec. 6.
Yes, old-time hockey. Toe Blake. Eddie Shore.

If you’re reading this far, you’re a hockey fan --- go, you --- and that means you’ve seen “Slap Shot’’ 10,000 times, give or take. That includes all the times you came across it while channel surfing and watched right through Reggie Dunlop telling Francine he was going to Minnesota, which he called the “big apple,’’ which I still can’t understand.

But no matter. The point is, no matter how many times you’ve seen “Slap Shot,’’ you can’t see it enough, and you probably haven’t seen it in a theater on a big screen since the Hanson Brothers first brought their (bleepin’) toys with them.

I mean, it has been so long that a son of a Hanson Brother is in an NHL organ-I-zation. Christian Hanson isn’t playing NHL hockey because Gary Bettman won’t let anybody play NHL hockey, and that’s why we’re doing this.

The Tribune has secured a restored 35mm print of “Slap Shot’’ and we plan to run it 35 years after Reggie placed a hundred-dollar bounty on the head of Tim McCracken, the head coach and chief punk on that Syracuse team.

I contend this is the best sports movie of all-time. Tribune film critic Michael Phillips disagrees. So, he and I will discuss that before we show the film, and I’m puttin’ on the foil.

We’ll include a Q&A session, and we’re working on some surprises. No promises. These things can be tricky. But we’re trying. Tickets are just $15. You can buy them and get the other particulars at chicagotribune.com/slapshot. Join us for the big-screen viewing of the character that Paul Newman said was closest to who he really was.

Think about what else you’d miss: Hanrahan’s wife, Jim Carr’s toupee, Joe McGrath’s inspirational speech, and Ogie Ogilthorpe, with all the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation from Canada, and that country’s refusal to accept him.

I’m trying to capture the spirit of the thing.

Oh, and lemme ask you something: Who own da Chief?

C’mon, everybody: Owns. Owns.

That’s the call and response of every hockey player at every level forever.

I shouldn’t have to explain this to anyone, but “Slap Shot’’ is one of the most profane movies ever. So, kids, think twice before you bring your parents to hear Reggie offer tender child-raising advice to Anita McCambridge.

Now, bleed all over 'em. Let 'em know you’re there.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Negotiations are resuming on Monday. Tuesday would be the deadline for a Dec 1 launch and camps opening Thursday. Only a few more days. :wink:

I caught the Providence Bruins vs CT Whale game. Chris Bourque looked awesome as the point man on the power play. 2 beautiful assists. He was the highlight from both sides. I'm having dreams of another Bourque at the point. He would be perfect setting up Chara. Kreider looked bored for the Whale. It must be tough to go from a sold out MSG in the playoffs with the Rangers to the AHL atmosphere.
Last edited by chungasrevenge on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

chungasrevenge wrote:Negotiations are resuming on Monday. Tuesday would be the deadline for a Dec 1 launch and camps opening Thursday. Only a few more days. :wink:

I caught the Providence Bruins vs CT Whale game. Chris Bourque looked awesome as the point man on the power play. 2 beautiful assists. He was the highlight from both sides. Kreider looked bored for the Whale. It must be tough to go from a sold out MSG in the playoffs with the Rangers to the AHL atmosphere.
Did you see Micheal Haley smash some fools? He had two fights.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

NeverSurrender wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Negotiations are resuming on Monday. Tuesday would be the deadline for a Dec 1 launch and camps opening Thursday. Only a few more days. :wink:

I caught the Providence Bruins vs CT Whale game. Chris Bourque looked awesome as the point man on the power play. 2 beautiful assists. He was the highlight from both sides. Kreider looked bored for the Whale. It must be tough to go from a sold out MSG in the playoffs with the Rangers to the AHL atmosphere.
Did you see Micheal Haley smash some fools? He had two fights.
The game I saw was few weeks ago and there was only one poor excuse for a fight in the first. I take it you're referring to a more recent game. I really don't follow the AHL outside of keeping an eye on the top B's prospects in Providence. I was jonesing for some live action. It was a pale imitation of the NHL. The masoleum like atmosphere at the old Hartford Civic Center didn't help.