The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by WOLF »

You can expect all of TSN's on-air talent to defect to other networks now. TSN will have no need to retain as many talking heads as they do, given that their coverage will be reduced to nightly highlight packages, World Junior, and Women's hockey.

I wouldn't be shocked to see th Cuthberts, Ferraros, Dregers, etc. all on Sportnet by next year, or slightly afterwards.
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

WOLF wrote:You can expect all of TSN's on-air talent to defect to other networks now. TSN will have no need to retain as many talking heads as they do, given that their coverage will be reduced to nightly highlight packages, World Junior, and Women's hockey.

I wouldn't be shocked to see th Cuthberts, Ferraros, Dregers, etc. all on Sportnet by next year, or slightly afterwards.
I think you'll see some of them head south of the border to the NBC Sports channel.Gord Miller is already pulling double duty.
krazeebaybee
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by krazeebaybee »

But, but...what will happen to Don Cherry?

Say what you will about him, I like him. I don't agree with everything he says, but, I still like the guy.

Totally off topic, but, not really, as Don Cherry is being blamed for some of this:
Former NHL players sue league over concussions

Ten former National Hockey League players, including all-star defenceman Gary Leeman, claimed in a class-action lawsuit that the league hasn't done enough to protect players from concussions.

The lawsuit seeks damages and court-approved, NHL-sponsored medical monitoring for the players' brain trauma and/or injuries, which they blame on their NHL careers. It was filed in federal court in Washington on behalf of players who retired on or before February 14 of this year and have suffered such injuries.

The suit comes just three months after the National Football League agreed to pay US$765 million to settle lawsuits from thousands of former players who developed dementia or other concussion-related health problems — and in an era when more attention is being paid to the damages of head injuries sustained in sports.

Among other things, the suit claims that:

The NHL knew or should have known about scientific evidence that players who sustain repeated head injuries are at greater risk for illnesses and disabilities both during their hockey careers and later in life.
Even after the NHL created a concussion program to study brain injuries affecting NHL players in 1997, the league took no action to reduce the number and severity of concussions during a study period from 1997 to 2004. "Plaintiffs relied on the NHL's silence to their detriment," the suit says.
The league didn't do anything to protect players from unnecessary harm until 2010, when it made it a penalty to target a player's head.
"The NHL's active and purposeful concealment of the severe risks of brain injuries exposed players to unnecessary dangers they could have avoided had the NHL provided them with truthful and accurate information and taken appropriate action to prevent needless harm," the lawsuit says.

Bill Daly, the league's deputy commissioner, issued a statement Monday.

"We are aware of the class-action lawsuit filed today in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia on behalf of a group of former NHL players. While the subject matter is very serious, we are completely satisfied with the responsible manner in which the league and the players' association have managed player safety over time, including with respect to head injuries and concussions," the statement said. "We intend to defend the case vigorously and have no further comment at this time."

The NHL didn't respond to AP's requests for comment, but earlier this year, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told The Canadian Press the league had "taken tremendous strides and put a great deal of effort and time and money into dealing with the issue of player safety, in general, and concussions, specifically.

"We were the first sports league in '97 to have a joint working group to study concussions with the Players' Association and our trainers and our physicians. We were the first sports league to do baseline testing, we were the first sports league to have protocols for diagnosis and return-to-play decisions.

"This is something that we have always treated as important and will continue to treat as important," he added.

The suit argues that the league continues to contribute to injuries today, by refusing to ban fighting and body-checking, and by employing "enforcers" whose main job is to fight or violently body-check opponents. And the lawsuit accuses the league of promoting a "culture of violence," in which players are praised for their fighting and "head-hunting" skills.

Leeman, who played for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames, Montreal Canadians, Vancouver Canucks and St. Louis Blues from 1983-1996, suffered multiple concussions and sub-concussive impacts during his career, according to the lawsuit. Since his retirement, he's suffered from post-traumatic head syndrome, headaches, memory loss and dizziness, the lawsuit says.

In addition to Leeman, the other ex-players on the lawsuit are: Bradley Aitken (Pittsburgh Penguins, Edmonton Oilers); Darren Banks (Boston Bruins); Curt Bennett (Blues, New York Rangers and Atlanta Flames); Richard Dunn (Buffalo Sabres and Calgary Flames); Warren Holmes, (Los Angeles Kings); Robert Manno, (Canucks, Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings); Blair James Stewart (Red Wings, Washington Capitals and Quebec Nordiques); Morris Titanic, (Sabres); and Rick Vaive (Canucks, Maple Leafs, Sabres, and Chicago Blackhawks).

In a statement, Vaive said players "were kept in the dark about the risks of concussions and many of the former NHL players are now suffering from debilitating head injuries from their time in the league. Hopefully this lawsuit will shine a light on the problem and the players will get the help they deserve."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/for ... -1.2439904
You'll do it the way any self-respecting woman does. Lay on your back, point your heels to Jesus and think of handbags.
ralphwiggumsdealer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ralphwiggumsdealer »

Gary Leeman
Soft player, soft head.

Guessing the only fights he ever got in were with teammates that were sick of his spending a career perfecting the art of floating.

Yours truly,

Bitter Calgary Flames fan.
Moggio wrote:
jpf wrote:Do you realize how stupid you are?
Do you?
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

Jesus H ...Shittsburgh has the officials in their pockets tonight.
Mazerati
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mazerati »

Frett_Bored wrote:Jackets go W-L-W-L-W on a 5-game roadie, including a 7-0 loss to Edmonton but a 6-0 win in Toronto.

Looks like Anisimov is hurt and Dubinsky is on the IR.

If they ever get healthy, they may have a change to make a run, but jeebus.
another bad loss again tonight 4-0 after a nice 6-0 win :lol:
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Rangers extend Lundqvist 7yrs/59.5mil.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Gibsonite wrote:Jesus H ...Shittsburgh has the officials in their pockets tonight.
You spelled "every night" wrong. :wink:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Facedown wrote:Rangers extend Lundqvist 7yrs/59.5mil.
Equates to $8.5 million a year.

Makes the Quick and Rask deals look good.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:

Makes the Price deal look REALLY good, given his age.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

pieceofme wrote:

Too much for too long. Shocking.
grizzly31
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by grizzly31 »

Loungo's tweet was awesome

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/4 ... 6661140481

You sure about this @HLundqvist30 ???
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

grizzly31 wrote:Loungo's tweet was awesome

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/4 ... 6661140481

You sure about this @HLundqvist30 ???
:lol:

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Remind me again why the B's and C's only play 4 times a season now?
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Facedown wrote:Remind me again why the B's and C's only play 4 times a season now?
No worries, with the new playoff format there's a good chance we'll get in another 7 in the playoffs!

Can't believe it took 30 games for us to play for the first time though.

Slowly but surely the kids/young vets are taking over the Habs room: Price, Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival, Prust, and more coming.

We're getting to the point where BOTH the Habs and Bruins should be good for a while. League is better when classic rivalry teams are good!
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

It has finally happened. I hate one of my teams.

Worst owner? Check
Worst Gm? check
Worst Coach? Check
Worst goaltending? Check

And I'm finally starting to dislike most of the players, which I usually feel bad for them since they have no shot being set up to fail by the three frucking stooges. I watch all the games and want to kill somebody by the end of them.

I need to stop watching this shit.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

NeverSurrender wrote:It has finally happened. I hate one of my teams.

Worst owner? Check
Worst Gm? check
Worst Coach? Check
Worst goaltending? Check

And I'm finally starting to dislike most of the players, which I usually feel bad for them since they have no shot being set up to fail by the three frucking stooges. I watch all the games and want to kill somebody by the end of them.

I need to stop watching this shit.
Islanders?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Of course the Isles. I's gotten so bad, I feel like if I cheer for them to win i'm doing them a disservice since i know they want their coach fired and don't respect him.

Cheap ass Wang won't let Snow fire him, and Snow needs to be fired too.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

NeverSurrender wrote:Of course the Isles. I's gotten so bad, I feel like if I cheer for them to win i'm doing them a disservice since i know they want their coach fired and don't respect him.

Cheap ass Wang won't let Snow fire him, and Snow needs to be fired too.
Dad? Haha you sound just like my dad who's an Isles fan. Hey, you can always go for the Devils during your dark periods! But fuck the Rangers no matter how you look at it.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The Isles are the indians in major League.

Your dad is awesome. Believe it or not there are some Isls fans who will stick up for this nonsense.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

both of the islanders' goalies have better numbers then craig anderson. one of them is above dubnyk who is pretty underwhelming himself.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

/\

That's why I wonder how much longer young stars, and acquisitions, will want to stay there. The issues start at the top with Wang. From there, Garth Snow should never have been hired as GM. He may be a smart guy, but you need to pay your dues a bit - you don't go from back-up goalie to GM - that's bush league. Capuano? I know he had a bit of a pedigree in the AHL, but I can name you a dozen guys who can get more out of that team.

A smart GM would have a Plan. Not so sure you have a smart GM.

I say blow it up now, rebuild (again) around Tavares, Okposo, Hamonic, and a few other pieces. Nobody over the age of 28 should be on the team. Visnovsky? Nabokov? PM Bouchard? Etc? All not necessary.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Wolf, I doubt you need a whole nother rebuild. get a real coach and GM.

Nothing will change as long as Wang still owns the team though.

These asholes are the same peope who kept Rick DiPietro around for 3 years after anybody with a brain knew he wa done. Saving money is job number 1 for Wang.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

NeverSurrender wrote:Wolf, I doubt you need a whole nother rebuild. get a real coach and GM.

These asholes are the same peope who kept Rick DiPietro around for 3 years after anybody with a brain knew he wa done. Saving money is job number 1 for Wang.
Yeah, I almost took that as being obvious. There is nothing worse in sports than a cheapskate owner (a billionaire no doubt), who makes you live with mistakes for his own selfish reasons.

Unfortunately, he can't be forced to sell the team. If he can make some money by being cheap, or use the loss as a tax write-off, it's a usefull asset to him. Unfortunately, it's ONLY an asset to him, as he clearly doesn't care about the product on the ice.

It's a shame. You look at the roster, and while they're not going to challenge the Pens for 1st overall, they should be battling for a playoff spot and playing some exciting hockey for the fans.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Wolf, I doubt you need a whole nother rebuild. get a real coach and GM.

Yeah, I almost took that as being obvious. There is nothing worse in sports than a cheapskate owner (a billionaire no doubt), who makes you live with mistakes for his own selfish reasons.

Unfortunately, he can't be forced to sell the team. If he can make some money by being cheap, or use the loss as a tax write-off, it's a usefull asset to him. Unfortunately, it's ONLY an asset to him, as he clearly doesn't care about the product on the ice.

It's a shame. You look at the roster, and while they're not going to challenge the Pens for 1st overall, they should be battling for a playoff spot and playing some exciting hockey for the fans.
That's what Florida have had to deal with for ages. Hopefully this new guy will be different. I'm optimistic, but you have to be really.

I do trust Tallon. Because we've got a quite a few good young players. Just need to build around them a bit more.

Oh and without Thomas we would be below the Sabres. Markstrom is the supposed future, but they have been saying that for the last two years and I haven't seen anything really indicating that. If Thomas doesn't resign next year, which he probably won't, then a solid goaltender is needed.

John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

*Womp!*Womp!* Yay..that good ol' reliable Flyers' shootout magic strikes again! :?

D'oh! Edited due to wrong post in the wrong thread!
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

what should they have done with dipietro? they bought him out the day they were allowed to. couldn't cut him. his contract was guaranteed. couldn't trade him. no one wanted him with his injury record.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

The Panthers attendance has dropped by a whopping 18.4% compared to last season. Which is about 13,500 on average per game. However, that is still more than Phoneix, Columbus and the Islanders. :)

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/41124 ... 68/photo/1

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:The Panthers attendance has dropped by a whopping 18.4% compared to last season. Which is about 13,500 on average per game. However, that is still more than Phoneix, Columbus and the Islanders. :)

But are there REALLY 13,500 people there per game?

And that thing with the glass the other night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALt7ouaTUY

:shock:

I keep hearing, up here, that the most likely scenario for a team in Quebec City is the Panthers moving there. Not sure what their lease arrangement is, but that's what the buzz is.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:The Panthers attendance has dropped by a whopping 18.4% compared to last season. Which is about 13,500 on average per game. However, that is still more than Phoneix, Columbus and the Islanders. :)

But are there REALLY 13,500 people there per game?

And that thing with the glass the other night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALt7ouaTUY

:shock:

I keep hearing, up here, that the most likely scenario for a team in Quebec City is the Panthers moving there. Not sure what their lease arrangement is, but that's what the buzz is.
Well on some nights there are more, and some nights there are less. Against Ottawa it was only 10,000. :oops:

Yeah that glass thing was hilarious. And embarrassing. The lease at the BT&T centre is there until 2025 (something like that), so don't expect a move until then.