The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by jizzyjizim »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
he left 6 million on the table not 20. for a guy that's played just over a season and has a soft shoulder I think they're over paying him. he hasn't won anything. he hasn't earned his contract. I bet he would say the same thing. that contract will cripple that team in the long run the same way price's will burn montreal.

No, he left $20 million.. he could have taken the max which was $15 per season ( and every GM in the league would have given it to him ) but he took $12.5 which is $2.5 less X 8 = $20 million.. and no you're right, he hasn't won anything, I agree with you there but the kid did just win the Hart, Art Ross and Ted Lindsey.. he took less than Crosby (% of the cap ) after his ELC so why is his contract gonna cripple the team? He signed an 8 year extension too which is the best part, his $12.5 million contract will look like peanuts in 4/5 years with the cap going up ( as it has over recent years ), I'd take McDavid $12.5 over Price's $10.5 any day of the week.
no one was saying $15, they say he was offered $13.5. that's $6 million left not $20.
as for the cap going up every year, sure it has but only by a couple million the last few years. THAT isn't covering superstar salaries, it's paying for 1 third liner.
as far as price goes, look what happened with luongo. his contract was only for $6 million a year. price is untradeable with that deal. remember when price was shitting bed and luongo was the best in the league? montreal fans wanted to trade price for luongo. who's to say that won't happen again? at least price has earned his payday.

What I'm saying is the rumour was $13.25 or something, he COULD have asked for max salary, $6 million your way $20 million mine, big name players get over paid, they just do and McD is no different , I would have loved him to take $9.7 but it wasn't gonna happen..Matthews will be no different especially if he hits 40 goals again this year and as far as the Hawks go, I'm pretty sure anyone would take over priced contracts if it meant 3 Cups in 7 years you'd be lying if you said different.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:
Years ago people said Crosby's contract would cripple the Pens. Then it was Price's 6.5M contract, then Toews/Kane, now McDavid and Price's new contract.

Nobody is getting crippled. The cap has gone up EVERY year since the new CBA came in. Every team is always going to have a few guys who are overpaid, and a few who are underpaid. Buyouts to make room are always in play. Certain players can be put in the minors, paid NHL money, and not count against the cap in full. Every team has bad contracts coming off the books every year.

Using the Habs as an example:

- Maybe Price is overpaid as of next year, but his cap hit is only $4M more than this year;
- Cap will go up by about $2M;
- Plekanec's $6M comes off the books at the end of this year. So Price is more than covered;
Pacioretty is a steal at $4.5M cap hit for two more years for a 35 goal scorer.

Also, you can see a trend emerging of teams investing big $ in 3-4 guys, and then filling out their roster with cheaper options on the 3rd/4th lines, 5-6D spots, and back up goalie.

McDavid's deal will be great in a few years. Draisaitl will be interesting . If the league was not an old boys network, someone would offer sheet him.

On top of all this, it should get really interesting in Leafs land in a few years, with all that young talent coming due at once.
Actually, that has hit the Hawks hard. So bad example.
Meh. Last I checked they still had Kane, Toews, Saad, Anisimov, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford.

That team has always moved contracts, brought in equal, cheaper talent, and found a way to win.

No one can deny their success. Only one team out of 30 wins the cup every year, but I would still consider them a threat every year, between management, coaching, and talent pipeline.
They won their cups when Toews and Kane was on cheaper contracts. They won't win it again with Toews and Kane making that money. Funny you mentioned Seabrook, as he is overpaid as well. Of course, I would love to have my team win 3 cups in the last several years. Hell, 1 cup would be incredible! But the point is that now they are making that money, and hitting the cap hard, they won't win again. The last two seasons where they have been bounced in the 1st round should show evidence that their era is over.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
Actually, that has hit the Hawks hard. So bad example.
Meh. Last I checked they still had Kane, Toews, Saad, Anisimov, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford.

That team has always moved contracts, brought in equal, cheaper talent, and found a way to win.

No one can deny their success. Only one team out of 30 wins the cup every year, but I would still consider them a threat every year, between management, coaching, and talent pipeline.
They won their cups when Toews and Kane was on cheaper contracts. They won't win it again with Toews and Kane making that money. Funny you mentioned Seabrook, as he is overpaid as well. Of course, I would love to have my team win 3 cups in the last several years. Hell, 1 cup would be incredible! But the point is that now they are making that money, and hitting the cap hard, they won't win again. The last two seasons where they have been bounced in the 1st round should show evidence that their era is over.
Agree with you that I think the Hawks era is over but what a run it was, to be a Hawks fan the last 7 years reminds me when I saw the Oilers win 5 in 7...
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:The last two seasons where they have been bounced in the 1st round should show evidence that their era is over.
They won their division and had 100+ points this past year. They got upset by a hot Nashville squad; it happens. They had a great season still.

MAYBE it's diminishing returns from here on in, but they still have enough talent to be in the mix.

Plus that team will always benefit from a vet or two willing to play for short money, have a chance to win, and play with Kane/Toews.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:The last two seasons where they have been bounced in the 1st round should show evidence that their era is over.
They won their division and had 100+ points this past year. They got upset by a hot Nashville squad; it happens. They had a great season still.

MAYBE it's diminishing returns from here on in, but they still have enough talent to be in the mix.

Plus that team will always benefit from a vet or two willing to play for short money, have a chance to win, and play with Kane/Toews.
I'm telling you, their era is over. The cap is increasing, but not by that much. They have contracts that are handcuffing them (Seabrook and Toews). They won't win another Stanley Cup with the new contracts Toews and Kane are making. But as others as said, they have already won 3 Stanley Cups.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:

I'm telling you, their era is over. The cap is increasing, but not by that much. They have contracts that are handcuffing them (Seabrook and Toews). They won't win another Stanley Cup with the new contracts Toews and Kane are making. But as others as said, they have already won 3 Stanley Cups.
this. winning your div doesn't mean anything if you get swept by a team who's fan's can't spell puck.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:

this. winning your div doesn't mean anything if you get swept by a team who's fan's can't spell puck.
Poor Nashville Haha
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:

I love how you assholes pretend like it's impossible to learn the rules because of where somebody lives. Nashville first had pro hockey in 1961, and one of the main reasons they got an NHL team was their support of minor league hockey over the years. They sold out every home game as an 8th seed and had the best atmosphere of any playoff team. But you're still pretending. Ironically, you're clueless about them. When's the last time you were in Nashville?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

I love how you assholes pretend like it's impossible to learn the rules because of where somebody lives. Nashville first had pro hockey in 1961, and one of the main reasons they got an NHL team was their support of minor league hockey over the years. They sold out every home game as an 8th seed and had the best atmosphere of any playoff team. But you're still pretending. Ironically, you're clueless about them. When's the last time you were in Nashville?
Owned! Nashville atmosphere > Vancovuer Canucks atmosphere.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

who said they can't? nashville was 20th in average attendance last year (vancouver was 11th) so they still have a ways to go. great atmosphere, but it took them getting into the playoffs for anyone there to give a fuck.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Nashville sold out all 41 home games...Do you want people to sit on the roof, mr hockey expert?

Also did you notice the lack of rioting after they lost? You wish your city had Nashville's hockey atmosphere. I live in the deep south and know lots of hockey fans andeven know people who play, even though the nearest rink is an hour away. Idiots like you who think learning what icing has something to do with where you live are the ignorant ones.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Chiarelli, years removed and miles away, continues to screw the Bruins with stupid contracts.
He signed Draisaitl to an 8/68 contract.
How does this screw the Bruins? They have a 6/36 offer on the table for Pastrnak.
This probably won't end well.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Facedown wrote:Chiarelli, years removed and miles away, continues to screw the Bruins with stupid contracts.
How does this screw the Bruins? They have a 6/36 offer on the table for Pastrnak.
A new market is being set for young stars. If you want them to give up years of UFA status, you need to pay them on the front end.

History has taught us contracts that seem bad at the time wind up not being bad as the cap rises... so long as the player produces.

What option did Chiarelli have? Let him walk? Trade him? For a million more or a million less, best to keep the peace. Now he just needs to figure out how to pay Talbot, Nurse, Klefbom, Strome, and others, as they come due.

I think RNH gets traded (to the Habs).
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
Facedown wrote:Chiarelli, years removed and miles away, continues to screw the Bruins with stupid contracts.
A new market is being set for young stars. If you want them to give up years of UFA status, you need to pay them on the front end.

History has taught us contracts that seem bad at the time wind up not being bad as the cap rises... so long as the player produces.

What option did Chiarelli have? Let him walk? Trade him? For a million more or a million less, best to keep the peace. Now he just needs to figure out how to pay Talbot, Nurse, Klefbom, Strome, and others, as they come due.

Yeah, well that is not a guarantee. Considering his peers like Barkov, Scheifele, MacKinnon got paid quite a bit less, it seems a bit pricey. He's a really good player, so he probably will be worth it. Just seems really expensive at the moment.

Klefbom is already signed longterm to a great deal btw. Something like $4.1m for the next six years.

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

WOLF wrote:

I think RNH is a goner and probably at less than market value, it's too bad but he's basically a 3C now making $6 million a year.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

jizzyjizim wrote:
WOLF wrote:

I think RNH is a goner and probably at less than market value, it's too bad but he's basically a 3C now making $6 million a year.
Let's get this done Jizzy. Brendan Gallagher and a 2nd rounder is my offer! Gally is good friends with Looch, and locked into a cap friendly contract. You talk to your GM, I'll talk to mine.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

WOLF wrote:

Yeah, but the salaries are rising way faster than the cap. The CBA is to blame and expect a lockout/strike when it expires.
Chiarelli has a history, an average of 1:3 on good to bad contracts.
Example, Bergeron good, Krejci, Kevan Miller and McQuaid bad.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

WOLF wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Let's get this done Jizzy. Brendan Gallagher and a 2nd rounder is my offer! Gally is good friends with Looch, and locked into a cap friendly contract. You talk to your GM, I'll talk to mine.
I like Gally but his injuries the last few years worry me a bit, I'll be in touch. Haha
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Facedown wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Yeah, but the salaries are rising way faster than the cap. The CBA is to blame and expect a lockout/strike when it expires.
Bruins should go 8 at $60 million. He will be a 40 goal scorer and 80-100 point player. Sounds like they are trying for a two year bridge deal.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

chungasrevenge wrote:
Facedown wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Bruins should go 8 at $60 million. He will be a 40 goal scorer and 80-100 point player. Sounds like they are trying for a two year bridge deal.
Habs did that with Subban, he had two good to great years, and it wound up costing them 8 years/$72 million - or would have had they not had buyer's remorse and traded him.

If they think Pasternak is a 40 goal scorer, sign him to a max deal now. He will only get more expensive. If they need to see more from him, bridge him, but it's a gamble.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:
Facedown wrote: Yeah, but the salaries are rising way faster than the cap. The CBA is to blame and expect a lockout/strike when it expires.
Habs did that with Subban, he had two good to great years, and it wound up costing them 8 years/$72 million - or would have had they not had buyer's remorse and traded him.

If they think Pasternak is a 40 goal scorer, sign him to a max deal now. He will only get more expensive. If they need to see more from him, bridge him, but it's a gamble.
Wish the Panthers had bridged Ekblad. Looked terrible last year without Campbell babysitting him.

chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:
Facedown wrote: Yeah, but the salaries are rising way faster than the cap. The CBA is to blame and expect a lockout/strike when it expires.

Bruins upped the offer to 6 at $42 million which probably won't get it down.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Looks like Ovechkin won't be playing in PyeongChang:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/09/1 ... cs-russia/
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

6 for 40, color me shocked.
Guess he really wanted to play instead of sitting out.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Facedown wrote:6 for 40, color me shocked.
Good deal for the Bruins.

chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Facedown wrote:6 for 40, color me shocked.
Great contracts from Sweeney on Pasta and Marchand. It starts now! Unlike Chia he can draft and work the cap. He's shit the bed on free agents, but supposedly Backes is lean and mean this camp. Beleskey is fighting for 4th line duty.

WTF with no broadcast of game against the Habs tomorrow in Quebec City?
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

chungasrevenge wrote:WTF with no broadcast of game against the Habs tomorrow in Quebec City?
All I know is that a replay was on NHL Network at 5AM this morning.
Most other replays are 2 hours but this was only 1.
Shitty game? Didn't seem like it from the box score.
Of course Chicago is all over the preseason schedule, Christ, we don't get enough of them during the regular season?
Vegas too but that's to be expected.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Facedown wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:WTF with no broadcast of game against the Habs tomorrow in Quebec City?
All I know is that a replay was on NHL Network at 5AM this morning.
Most other replays are 2 hours but this was only 1.
Shitty game? Didn't seem like it from the box score.
Of course Chicago is all over the preseason schedule, Christ, we don't get enough of them during the regular season?
Vegas too but that's to be expected.
I caught the highlights. Bjork looks like a keeper. Think they are going to try him with Bergeron and Marchand.

Tonight's game vs Detroit is streaming on the B's website and they start airing the games on Thursday against Philly.

Interested to see how DeBrusk does with Krecji and Pasta tonight. They are giving him every opportunity to win that spot.

Spooner and Beleskey might be dead men walking.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Looks like Jagr might not be done just yet...Calgary Flames time.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Aerosmith87 wrote:Looks like Jagr might not be done just yet...Calgary Flames time.
Does anyone else here find it amazing that he's still playing in the NHL after two whole fucking decades?!? The guy came on the scene when I was still in middle school for crying out loud!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for