The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by pieceofme »

http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/mcdavid-c ... n-1.791267

McDavid deal could be $13.25m per year! Quite a bit more than $9.7m!

Worth it though!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/mcdavid-c ... n-1.791267

Worth it though!
that revenue sharing must be working. how will they pay for draisaitl?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Almost everybody re-signs their superstars.

But I do not expect John Tavares to sign on for any more years of the Garth Snow experience. And I'll be leaving with him. Only the Isles could change owners, and keep that moron around.
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

Jackets dumped Hartnell today.

Doesn't look like Kovalchuk is coming to the NHL.

Maybe Thornton? Tavares? Duchene?
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

Worth it though!
as much as I wanted him to take less..he's taking exactly what Crosby took ( % wise of current cap ), can't say I blame him..honestly, I just glad they have him for another 9 years, which in 2026 I'm sure this deal will look like peanuts as teh cap could be as high as $110 Million by then..they dumped Pouliot as well...I'd love to see them sign a guy like Jagr or Hartnell.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

NeverSurrender wrote:Almost everybody re-signs their superstars.

But I do not expect John Tavares to sign on for any more years of the Garth Snow experience. And I'll be leaving with him. Only the Isles could change owners, and keep that moron around.

Eberle on his wing might be enough incentive to stay for a couple more years?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

jizzyjizim wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Almost everybody re-signs their superstars.

Eberle on his wing might be enough incentive to stay for a couple more years?

I don't know if that's enough or if it's too little too late. Garth has fucked JT over for years. I hope I'm wrong though.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:

Worth it though!
as much as I wanted him to take less..he's taking exactly what Crosby took ( % wise of current cap ), can't say I blame him..honestly, I just glad they have him for another 9 years, which in 2026 I'm sure this deal will look like peanuts as teh cap could be as high as $110 Million by then..they dumped Pouliot as well...I'd love to see them sign a guy like Jagr or Hartnell.
Pretty sure I said that. :)

Who knows how much the cap increases, but worth it for the Oilers. The Drai situation is interesting.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Carey Price signs 8 year $10.5M contract.

No goalie is worth that much. :lol: And yeah, Price is arguably the best in the game, but he's not that much better than his peers.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:Carey Price signs 8 year $10.5M contract.

No goalie is worth that much. :lol: And yeah, Price is arguably the best in the game, but he's not that much better than his peers.
Everyone said the same thing when he signed his last contract at 6.5 million. The cap goes up every year, and It's a game of leapfrog really. Hotlby will be due and surpass Price, maybe others as well. The # to look at is % of cap.

One thing Bergevin has done well is time the expiry and renewal of contracts. Example: Price gets a 3.5 million raise, Plekanec's 6 million comes off the books.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:

Everyone said the same thing when he signed his last contract at 6.5 million. The cap goes up every year, and It's a game of leapfrog really. Hotlby will be due and surpass Price, maybe others as well. The # to look at is % of cap.

One thing Bergevin has done well is time the expiry and renewal of contracts. Example: Price gets a 3.5 million raise, Plekanec's 6 million comes off the books.
Trying to justify it I see. That percentage of the cap on a goaltender is ludicrous. I'm well aware of the cap percentage as per my talk about McDavid on the previous page!

This hopefully means the Habs will be mediocre for years. Sounds good!

Bergevin just said either Markov and Radulov won't be back due to this contract. So about doing well with the timing......

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Trying to justify it I see. That percentage of the cap on a goaltender is ludicrous. I'm well aware of the cap percentage as per my talk about McDavid on the previous page!

This hopefully means the Habs will be mediocre for years. Sounds good!

Bergevin just said either Markov and Radulov won't be back due to this contract. So about doing well with the timing......
Price's contract doesn't kick in for another year. Bergevin said what he said as a negotiating tactic. Habs have 16 million in cap space for this season. If Radulov gets 7 (high), Markov 6, and Galchenyuk 4.5 as s RFA they just need to move a 1.5 million player to be cap compliant this year. Next year 6 million is off the books with Plekanec, 1.2 with Torrey Mitchell, and the cap will go up slightly. Bergy's just playing the game.

Back to Price, the Habs won't come out and say it, but they are trying to do what they did with Patrick Roy in 1986 and 1993: have the best goalie in the world play out of his mind at the right time, and backstop a slightly better than average team to the finals. I don't doubt they can do it. I wouldn't bet on it in a 31 team league, but it's not that far fetched.

Besides, how many players will want to sign and re-sign here, given the tax rate, without Price around? Bergevin said one of the first questions Alzner asked was "what are your intentions with Price".
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

patrick marleau signs with toronto. remember when NOBODY wanted to play there?
must have promised him a spot with mcdavid so he can pad his stats since they still aren't winning a cup.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

Kid-Wicked wrote:patrick marleau signs with toronto. remember when NOBODY wanted to play there?
must have promised him a spot with mcdavid so he can pad his stats since they still aren't winning a cup.
I think you mean Matthews.. :lol:
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

jizzyjizim wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:patrick marleau signs with toronto. remember when NOBODY wanted to play there?
ah fuck. yes. but the way the toronto media is, it's only a matter of time before he plays there.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

must have promised him a spot with mathews so he can pad his stats since they still aren't winning a cup.
***edit because I can see in the future
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
ah fuck. yes. but the way the toronto media is, it's only a matter of time before he plays there.

ya, if you went by Toronto media, he's supposed to bolt after his ELC and sign with the Leafs because he was so disappointed when the Oilers won the lottery, honeslty yes, I'm sure growing up a Leafs fan in Ontario he would have loved being drafted by the Leafs but he's on the verge of signing an 8 year extension, I think he's pretty happy.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:

ya, if you went by Toronto media, he's supposed to bolt after his ELC and sign with the Leafs because he was so disappointed when the Oilers won the lottery, honeslty yes, I'm sure growing up a Leafs fan in Ontario he would have loved being drafted by the Leafs but he's on the verge of signing an 8 year extension, I think he's pretty happy.
He's a huge fan of Crosby, and was a Pens fan as well I believe. It is funny that these same Toronto fans weren't saying the same thing about Matthews and Arizona!

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

He's a huge fan of Crosby, and was a Pens fan as well I believe. It is funny that these same Toronto fans weren't saying the same thing about Matthews and Arizona!

haha, of course not, Matthews is gonna be a Leaf FOREVER and only sign a $2 million 20 year contract because he's not greedy and all about the team! :roll: :lol:
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

jizzyjizim wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:

Leafs fans and media think every home grown superstar want to go there. And none ever do. :lol: :lol:
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Worth it though!
Well officially $12.5m per season. Wonder how much Drai will get.

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:

Worth it though!
I like this contract, he left $20 million on the table over the 8 year contract, he could have taken the max and he didn't, any GM in the leugue would have given it to him too, Draisaitl contract will be interesting though, I'm really hoping he gets something under 8, I don't think he deserves that much ( yet anyway ) he's had 1 good season, I'd give him a bridge contract and let him prove he can drive his own line.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

jizzyjizim wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

Worth it though!
I like this contract, he left $20 million on the table over the 8 year contract, he could have taken the max and he didn't, any GM in the leugue would have given it to him too, Draisaitl contract will be interesting though, I'm really hoping he gets something under 8, I don't think he deserves that much ( yet anyway ) he's had 1 good season, I'd give him a bridge contract and let him prove he can drive his own line.
he left 6 million on the table not 20. for a guy that's played just over a season and has a soft shoulder I think they're over paying him. he hasn't won anything. he hasn't earned his contract. I bet he would say the same thing. that contract will cripple that team in the long run the same way price's will burn montreal.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
he left 6 million on the table not 20. for a guy that's played just over a season and has a soft shoulder I think they're over paying him. he hasn't won anything. he hasn't earned his contract. I bet he would say the same thing. that contract will cripple that team in the long run the same way price's will burn montreal.

No, he left $20 million.. he could have taken the max which was $15 per season ( and every GM in the league would have given it to him ) but he took $12.5 which is $2.5 less X 8 = $20 million.. and no you're right, he hasn't won anything, I agree with you there but the kid did just win the Hart, Art Ross and Ted Lindsey.. he took less than Crosby (% of the cap ) after his ELC so why is his contract gonna cripple the team? He signed an 8 year extension too which is the best part, his $12.5 million contract will look like peanuts in 4/5 years with the cap going up ( as it has over recent years ), I'd take McDavid $12.5 over Price's $10.5 any day of the week.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome...can't say I'm surprised at this, this is nothing more than a salary dump, they are gonna need some coin to sign McDavid/Drasaitl...my guess is Eberle will get a shot to play with Tavares.
Well, $4m just went to Russell! :shock:

Rumours of McDavid getting $14m! Think it will be between $12m and $13m tbh.

they really like Russell, to me he's an ok dman, was a warrior in the playoffs and led the league in blocked shots during the regular season, it's a top heavy contract, so in year 4 he's set to make $2.5 million, I think he'll be gone by then though. I can't see McD asking for $14 Million ( he cripples the team asking for that much, I am hoping for something around $9.7 - $11 million.)
Your hope was off! :wink:

I like how you're now justifying the $12.5m btw.

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
Well, $4m just went to Russell! :shock:

Rumours of McDavid getting $14m! Think it will be between $12m and $13m tbh.

they really like Russell, to me he's an ok dman, was a warrior in the playoffs and led the league in blocked shots during the regular season, it's a top heavy contract, so in year 4 he's set to make $2.5 million, I think he'll be gone by then though. I can't see McD asking for $14 Million ( he cripples the team asking for that much, I am hoping for something around $9.7 - $11 million.)
Your hope was off! :wink:

I like how you're now justifying the $12.5m btw.
Deep down, I knew he wasn't gonna sign for $9.7, that was a pipe dream ... I'm just glad he didn't ask for max.. he's worth every penny of $12.5, hell I think he's worth 15 as much as I'm glad he didn't ask for that because he would have gotten it, signing Connor wasn't the concern for me it's signing Draisaitl that makes me worried , I think he's a great player but not near worth $9 million a year but you know what, I bet he get $8.. I think he's worth 6-7... but it's not my money so fuck it, sign em all!!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
Years ago people said Crosby's contract would cripple the Pens. Then it was Price's 6.5M contract, then Toews/Kane, now McDavid and Price's new contract.

Nobody is getting crippled. The cap has gone up EVERY year since the new CBA came in. Every team is always going to have a few guys who are overpaid, and a few who are underpaid. Buyouts to make room are always in play. Certain players can be put in the minors, paid NHL money, and not count against the cap in full. Every team has bad contracts coming off the books every year.

Using the Habs as an example:

- Maybe Price is overpaid as of next year, but his cap hit is only $4M more than this year;
- Cap will go up by about $2M;
- Plekanec's $6M comes off the books at the end of this year. So Price is more than covered;
Pacioretty is a steal at $4.5M cap hit for two more years for a 35 goal scorer.

Also, you can see a trend emerging of teams investing big $ in 3-4 guys, and then filling out their roster with cheaper options on the 3rd/4th lines, 5-6D spots, and back up goalie.

McDavid's deal will be great in a few years. Draisaitl will be interesting . If the league was not an old boys network, someone would offer sheet him.

On top of all this, it should get really interesting in Leafs land in a few years, with all that young talent coming due at once.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

jizzyjizim wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:

No, he left $20 million.. he could have taken the max which was $15 per season ( and every GM in the league would have given it to him ) but he took $12.5 which is $2.5 less X 8 = $20 million.. and no you're right, he hasn't won anything, I agree with you there but the kid did just win the Hart, Art Ross and Ted Lindsey.. he took less than Crosby (% of the cap ) after his ELC so why is his contract gonna cripple the team? He signed an 8 year extension too which is the best part, his $12.5 million contract will look like peanuts in 4/5 years with the cap going up ( as it has over recent years ), I'd take McDavid $12.5 over Price's $10.5 any day of the week.
no one was saying $15, they say he was offered $13.5. that's $6 million left not $20.
as for the cap going up every year, sure it has but only by a couple million the last few years. THAT isn't covering superstar salaries, it's paying for 1 third liner.
as far as price goes, look what happened with luongo. his contract was only for $6 million a year. price is untradeable with that deal. remember when price was shitting bed and luongo was the best in the league? montreal fans wanted to trade price for luongo. who's to say that won't happen again? at least price has earned his payday.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:
Years ago people said Crosby's contract would cripple the Pens. Then it was Price's 6.5M contract, then Toews/Kane, now McDavid and Price's new contract.

Nobody is getting crippled. The cap has gone up EVERY year since the new CBA came in. Every team is always going to have a few guys who are overpaid, and a few who are underpaid. Buyouts to make room are always in play. Certain players can be put in the minors, paid NHL money, and not count against the cap in full. Every team has bad contracts coming off the books every year.

- Maybe Price is overpaid as of next year, but his cap hit is only $4M more than this year;
- Plekanec's $6M comes off the books at the end of this year. So Price is more than covered;

Also, you can see a trend emerging of teams investing big $ in 3-4 guys, and then filling out their roster with cheaper options on the 3rd/4th lines, 5-6D spots, and back up goalie.

McDavid's deal will be great in a few years. Draisaitl will be interesting . If the league was not an old boys network, someone would offer sheet him.

On top of all this, it should get really interesting in Leafs land in a few years, with all that young talent coming due at once.
Actually, that has hit the Hawks hard. So bad example.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

Actually, that has hit the Hawks hard. So bad example.
Meh. Last I checked they still had Kane, Toews, Saad, Anisimov, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford.

That team has always moved contracts, brought in equal, cheaper talent, and found a way to win.

No one can deny their success. Only one team out of 30 wins the cup every year, but I would still consider them a threat every year, between management, coaching, and talent pipeline.