The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by UtahRatt »

Feb 11th, Henrik Lundqvist became the 12th goalie in NHL history to win 400 games.

Feb 19th with a win over the Cap's, Lundqvist tied Chris Osgood for 11th place on the NHL's all-time wins list (401). He needs two wins to tie Grant Fuhr for 10th place.

A NON Canadian could break the top 10!
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

UtahRatt wrote:Feb 11th, Henrik Lundqvist became the 12th goalie in NHL history to win 400 games.

Feb 19th with a win over the Cap's, Lundqvist tied Chris Osgood for 11th place on the NHL's all-time wins list (401). He needs two wins to tie Grant Fuhr for 10th place.

second best non canadian goalie ever.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Feb 11th, Henrik Lundqvist became the 12th goalie in NHL history to win 400 games.

I agree with you about Mike Richter but you'd have to add The Dominator! :twisted:

Out of the top 50 only 14 are non Canadian......#5 Luongo at 452 wins will pass Curtis Joseph with 3 more. Not sure if he has another season left but Luongo's creeping up on #3 Belfour with 32 more Wins.

Have a hard time seeing anyone catch Brodeur, 691 wins in 1266 games. That's 90 wins more then Roy who has 67 on Belfour......Brodeur and Roy pushed the bar pretty high, catching either would take a lot of factors.
Fleury is climbing the ladder, Injury prone Price could be interesting but has a way's to go. With the game getting younger I think Brodeur and Roy will hold the top 2 for a long time.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

UtahRatt wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

I agree with you about Mike Richter but you'd have to add The Dominator! :twisted:

Out of the top 50 only 14 are non Canadian......#5 Luongo at 452 wins will pass Curtis Joseph with 3 more. Not sure if he has another season left but Luongo's creeping up on #3 Belfour with 32 more Wins.

Have a hard time seeing anyone catch Brodeur, 691 wins in 1266 games. That's 90 wins more then Roy who has 67 on Belfour......Brodeur and Roy pushed the bar pretty high, catching either would take a lot of factors.
Fleury is climbing the ladder, Injury prone Price could be interesting but has a way's to go. With the game getting younger I think Brodeur and Roy will hold the top 2 for a long time.
1: hasek
2: king
3: richter
4: quick
5: tretiak
i'll say those are my top 5 non canadians.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:it's going to take more than Claude Julien to stop Butch Cassidy and the run and gun B's. The Habs had fear in their eyes on Sunday night.
That was disarray. Hence the buffoon Therrien being gone.
Oh yeah, it was just nice to finally somewhat control a game against them for the first time in years.

Exciting times for the Bruins with the best prospect pool ever on the doorstep and the BU Brigade walking on to the roster after NCAA season. Hopefully Sweeney doesn't trade them away for Landeskog.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

UtahRatt wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

Fleury is climbing the ladder, Injury prone Price could be interesting but has a way's to go. With the game getting younger I think Brodeur and Roy will hold the top 2 for a long time.[/quote]

Luongo has been a bit shakey recently, and Reimer has taken the starting positon. Although it is more of a 1A/1B situation. So Luongo still has another season or two left.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

Luongo has been a bit shakey recently, and Reimer has taken the starting positon. Although it is more of a 1A/1B situation. So Luongo still has another season or two left.[/quote]

i wouldn't say reimer is still anything more than a backup. they've split starts the last few weeks because he's gone on a bit of a run. next bad game and he's back on the bench. luongo is having february=itis.
ShearMagic
Forming a Band

Post by ShearMagic »

Who is your choice for the rookie of the year? Clearly media wants Matthews but Laine has been scoring a lot of goals. Matthews is a center and is taking the young Leafs team to playoffs, something Laine wasn't able to do with the Jets. Also in the mix is the holding Stanley Cup winner Matt Murray, but with these kind of forwards it's hard to see a goalie challenging for the trophy.

Is there anybody else deserving the Calder trophy? As a Finn I have of course read mostly about my countrymen and have to say that Sebastian Aho of the Hurricanes is already a very good player. He is fifth in the rookies points as of now.

How about William Nylander? Mitch Marner? Matthew Tkatchuk?
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

AFTER 11 FUCKIN YEARS, 868 REGULAR SEASON GAMES, WE'RE BACK IN THE PLAYOFFS... sweet jesus that was a long decade :D , ya ya, I know we've had a plethora of high draft picks, I know we have Connor McDavid...but let me have this..
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

jizzyjizim wrote:AFTER 11 FUCKIN YEARS, 868 REGULAR SEASON GAMES, WE'RE BACK IN THE PLAYOFFS... sweet jesus that was a long decade :D , ya ya, I know we've had a plethora of high draft picks, I know we have Connor McDavid...but let me have this..
I'm rooting for a "Battle of Alberta" in the 1st or 2nd round. That would be something!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

ShearMagic wrote:Who is your choice for the rookie of the year? Clearly media wants Matthews but Laine has been scoring a lot of goals. Matthews is a center and is taking the young Leafs team to playoffs, something Laine wasn't able to do with the Jets. Also in the mix is the holding Stanley Cup winner Matt Murray, but with these kind of forwards it's hard to see a goalie challenging for the trophy.

Is there anybody else deserving the Calder trophy? As a Finn I have of course read mostly about my countrymen and have to say that Sebastian Aho of the Hurricanes is already a very good player. He is fifth in the rookies points as of now.

Its a two horse race between Matthews and Laine. Although other rookies such as Aho and Marner have had great seasons. Strong season for rookies. I think Matthews will win it.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:AFTER 11 FUCKIN YEARS, 868 REGULAR SEASON GAMES, WE'RE BACK IN THE PLAYOFFS... sweet jesus that was a long decade :D , ya ya, I know we've had a plethora of high draft picks, I know we have Connor McDavid...but let me have this..
Congrats. On the same day, the Red Wings were officially eliminated. First time in 25 years!!

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:
ShearMagic wrote:Who is your choice for the rookie of the year? Clearly media wants Matthews but Laine has been scoring a lot of goals. Matthews is a center and is taking the young Leafs team to playoffs, something Laine wasn't able to do with the Jets. Also in the mix is the holding Stanley Cup winner Matt Murray, but with these kind of forwards it's hard to see a goalie challenging for the trophy.

Its a two horse race between Matthews and Laine. Although other rookies such as Aho and Marner have had great seasons. Strong season for rookies. I think Matthews will win it.
What Zach Werenski is doing as a 19 year old NHL defenseman should not be overlooked. He and Seth Jones will be a hell of a duo for years to come. He should be the third nominee for the Calder trophy, with Marthews and Laine, in my opinion.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:
Congrats. On the same day, the Red Wings were officially eliminated. First time in 25 years!!

that run by the Wings is simply amazing..
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

What Zach Werenski is doing as a 19 year old NHL defenseman should not be overlooked. He and Seth Jones will be a hell of a duo for years to come. He should be the third nominee for the Calder trophy, with Marthews and Laine, in my opinion.
This. And the Vezina is Bobrovsky's to lose at this point.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

NHL just announced it won't send any of its players to the PyeongChang Olympics:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nhl-w ... 41818.html
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

dmbrocker wrote:NHL just announced it won't send any of its players to the PyeongChang Olympics:

It could be a negotiation ploy, to get the IOC to foot more of the bill (insurance and lodging/transport), as well as to obtain rights to the games footage.

IIHF already said "if you don't go to Korea, you don't go to China next olympics". NHL wants to gain exposure to China's massive population.

Then, the most entertaining piece in all of this will be... which players say "fuck you" and go anyways, with the blessing of their owners. That could cause a three way battle royale between owners, the league, and players association.

Grab your popcorn.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

WOLF wrote:
dmbrocker wrote:NHL just announced it won't send any of its players to the PyeongChang Olympics:

It could be a negotiation ploy, to get the IOC to foot more of the bill (insurance and lodging/transport), as well as to obtain rights to the games footage.

IIHF already said "if you don't go to Korea, you don't go to China next olympics". NHL wants to gain exposure to China's massive population.

Then, the most entertaining piece in all of this will be... which players say "fuck you" and go anyways, with the blessing of their owners. That could cause a three way battle royale between owners, the league, and players association.

Grab your popcorn.
They say it's about flipping the bill but in reality the IOC makes FIFA in Qatar and ISIS look like the Peace Corps. I'd like to see the NHL including other professional leagues hold out and more countries deny bids to hold them.

I had the gig working the locker rooms during practices then the medal rounds in the 2002 SLC olympics. Fuck the IOC.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

UtahRatt wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Grab your popcorn.
They say it's about flipping the bill but in reality the IOC makes FIFA in Qatar and ISIS look like the Peace Corps. I'd like to see the NHL including other professional leagues hold out and more countries deny bids to hold them.

I had the gig working the locker rooms during practices then the medal rounds in the 2002 SLC olympics. Fuck the IOC.
I don't blame NHL owners for saying "previous Olympics have not done all that much to raise our profile, and now you want US to foot the bill for things you previously paid for AND shut down our season for three weeks, to play games that will be broadcast at ungodly hours in North America?"

On top of that, if Carey Price has his picture taken, on the ice, with his gold medal, the Montreal Canadiens cannot even put it on their website. The NHL has zero rights to games footage, various sorts of media, etc.

Yeah, the IOC are certainly not about sharing the wealth...

All this to say, I get both sides of the arguement. Players/fans who want participation, and owners/league who won't be walked over.

Should be interesting.
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

Good, they shouldn't be going anyways. This whole idea of pros competing in the Olympics is a joke and always has been. It's nothing but a dick-swinging vanity trip. There's already a top tier forum for the world's best to show their stuff. It's called the NHL and they're already in it. Stay out of the goddamn Olympics. I wish every other pro league would do the same.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Playoff predictions:

Habs over Rangers in 6
Bruins over Sens in 7
Caps over Leafs in 5
Pens over BJs in 6

Hawks over Preds in 5
Blues over Wild in 7
Ducks over Flames in 7
Oilers over Sharks in 6
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Playoff predictions:

Habs over Rangers in 6
Bruins over Sens in 7
Caps over Leafs in 5
Pens over BJs in 6

Hawks over Preds in 6
Blues over Wild in 7
Ducks over Flames in 6
Oilers over Sharks in 6

Pretty much entirely agree with you Wolf. Just changed the number of games for some of the series.

And McDavid got a 100 points. Not fair the Oilers getting him :( Talk about having a horseshoe stuck up your arse.

ShearMagic
Forming a Band

Post by ShearMagic »

Habs over Rangers in 5
Sens over Bruins in 7
Caps over Leafs in 6
Pens over Jackets in 7

Hawks over Preds in 6
Wild over Blues in 6
Flames over Ducks in 6
Oilers over Sharks in 5
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:Playoff predictions:

Habs over Rangers in 6
Bruins over Sens in 7
Caps over Leafs in 5
Pens over BJs in 6

Hawks over Preds in 6
Blues over Wild in 7
Ducks over Flames in 6
Oilers over Sharks in 6

Pretty much entirely agree with you Wolf. Just changed the number of games for some of the series.

And McDavid got a 100 points. Not fair the Oilers getting him :( Talk about having a horseshoe stuck up your arse.
I know right???? hey, I'll be the first to say the Oilers have been one of the luckiest/unluckiest team in many years, 4 first round picks..and until McD they were still a complete mess, I blame Management not seeing the obvious holes in this team and doing nothing to fix it, I liked Hall as a player but I'm completely happy with that trade and Yak was a tirefire, which is too bad because I really still think there is a player there somewhere, I've been a fan since '83 and the last 11 years were difficult to watch.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Rangers in 7
Sens in 6
Caps in 5 maybe 4
Pens in 7

Hawks in 5
Blues in 7
Ducks in 5
Sharks in 6
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Isles name Doug Weight coach - good move; team looked much better after he took over

Stars hire Ken Hitchcock as coach (again) - RE-TREAD. Really? So many good, young coaches out there. I suppose Pat Quinn's corpse was unavailable?

Vegas rumoured to be hiring Gerard Gallant - great move if true.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:Isles name Doug Weight coach - good move; team looked much better after he took over

Stars hire Ken Hitchcock as coach (again) - RE-TREAD. Really? So many good, young coaches out there. I suppose Pat Quinn's corpse was unavailable?

Vegas rumoured to be hiring Gerard Gallant - great move if true.
Happy he's getting the chance. Hopefully he does well.

Hope Florida goes for Sutter hard!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Chicago already down by 2. Rinne has more points than the entire Blackhawks team. :lol:

Thought it would a tight series. See if the Blackhawks can respond. Hopefully, they get swept. So sick of the Blackhawks and Toews love. Toews easily the most overrated player in the game.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:Chicago already down by 2. Rinne has more points than the entire Blackhawks team. :lol:

Thought it would a tight series. See if the Blackhawks can respond. Hopefully, they get swept. So sick of the Blackhawks and Toews love. Toews easily the most overrated player in the game.
For me the surprises of the playoffs so far are:

East - Leafs taking Caps to OT twice, and going home with a split.

West - Hawks not scoring a goal at home and going on the road down 0-2 vs Nashville.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote:Chicago already down by 2. Rinne has more points than the entire Blackhawks team. :lol:

For me the surprises of the playoffs so far are:

East - Leafs taking Caps to OT twice, and going home with a split.

West - Hawks not scoring a goal at home and going on the road down 0-2 vs Nashville.
Yeah, the Leafs taking it to the Caps for me.

A lot of people were underrating the Preds imo. They are a good team. That series is a coinflip. I went with Chicago due to the experience factor.

At this point, I think Columbus look like the most likely team to be swept. I think out of all the teams down by 2, Minnesota has the best chance to win their series.