The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

The official NHL thread

Post by pieceofme »

So here it is. Let the discussions begin.

Btw i'm kind of new to Hockey, but from what i've seen so far i'm enjoying it a lot.

Living in Vancouver so the Canucks are my team. Beating the Habs 7-1 was pretty sweet.

Even though its early I would say the teams to look out for this season are

The Stanley Cup champs the Penguins (obviously)
New York Rangers
The Blackhawks
Dallas Stars
Buffalo Sabres

I'm kind of new so my predictions are probably way off. lol
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by WOLF »

Rule #1 about the NHL Regular Season: don't let the first 3-4 weeks fool you. A lot of good teams are slow getting out of the shoot. So-so teams start well and fade. I can almost guarantee you that you won't see a Colorado/NY Rangers final. This is a marathon, not a sprint. In then end, and barring injuries, I'd expect to see these teams contending:

Bruins
Penguins
Flyers
Capitals
Red Wings
Blackhawks (if they can get a goalie)
Flames
Canucks (though injuries have already bit them)
Sharks
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Other then catching a few games a year and watching several in the postseason I'm not a huge Hockey fan....Mostly because it's always been hard to find a fucking game let alone one of my team.

It looks like my provider recently added VS to my package so I'll start catching a few more but I noticed the NHL channels have preview games going. Anyone know how long it will last before they pull the plug?

Go Rangers.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
grizzly31
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by grizzly31 »

Its going to be a long year for my Leafs... back in the dark ages again
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

Tripp Tracy is the least subtle person alive.
krazeebaybee
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by krazeebaybee »

grizzly31 wrote:Its going to be a long year for my Leafs... back in the dark ages again
I'm starting to think they should just call it a season already.
Seriously - not since 1917 have they had a season this bad.

They're sucking big old hairy goat balls.

I think the Timbits could do better.
You'll do it the way any self-respecting woman does. Lay on your back, point your heels to Jesus and think of handbags.
ralphwiggumsdealer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ralphwiggumsdealer »

grizzly31 wrote:Its going to be a long year for my Leafs... back in the dark ages again
I hear the crowds have a new chant: "GO RAPTORS!"

I'm indifferent this time of year, but I've been rubbing the Flames 2 wins over the Canucks in a lot of people's faces.
Moggio wrote:
jpf wrote:Do you realize how stupid you are?
Do you?
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

krazeebaybee wrote:
I'm starting to think they should just call it a season already.
Seriously - not since 1917 have they had a season this bad.

They're sucking big old hairy goat balls.

I think the Timbits could do better.
The thing I don't get is this:

Did Burke really think that my acquiring the likes of Komisarek, Exelby, Orr, et al they'd be any better? For sure they're tougher, but from the get go I said to myself "where's the offence going to come from". An then there's the goaltending.... Rask/Raycroft anyone?

Then, there's the Kessel trade. You make that deal if Kessel makes you a contender - NOT if you're going to struggle to make the playoffs (if that). I can't believe the Bruins own the Leafs' 1st round picks for the next two years! Those are potentially two top 5 picks going over to an already strong division rival.

My Habs aren't much better, but at least they have some of the tools in place to give us some semblance of a season - though I'd wish we'd be "allowed" to finish last a couple of years ago and draft some real talent.
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

The Maples Leafs... really on their knees this year. Kinda pathetic.

My Bruin's are off to a rough start as well. The Dallas game the other night gave me some hope though. If they can start playing like that more, they have a good chance of REALLY turning it on and going on some good win streaks. The Phoenix game last night just punched me right in the balls.
krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

WOLF wrote:
The thing I don't get is this:

Did Burke really think that my acquiring the likes of Komisarek, Exelby, Orr, et al they'd be any better? For sure they're tougher, but from the get go I said to myself "where's the offence going to come from". An then there's the goaltending.... Rask/Raycroft anyone?

Then, there's the Kessel trade. You make that deal if Kessel makes you a contender - NOT if you're going to struggle to make the playoffs (if that). I can't believe the Bruins own the Leafs' 1st round picks for the next two years! Those are potentially two top 5 picks going over to an already strong division rival.

My Habs aren't much better, but at least they have some of the tools in place to give us some semblance of a season - though I'd wish we'd be "allowed" to finish last a couple of years ago and draft some real talent.
Part of me thinks that Burke wanted to 'toughen up' the team, and by acquiring Komisarek et al, he may have thought he accomplished this. The Leafs in previous years, when there'd be a fight on ice, would let the player fend for himself; perhaps Burke's thinking in Komisarek etc., was that at least there'd be players making it more of a 'team' fight? (There are a shit ton of videos backing up the 'every man for himself' in fights thing...it really is sad)

As for Kessel; I don't know. He had a banner year last year, no doubt. (I actually picked him up in Fantasy hockey - a total fluke - but that's how I learned about him) Will he have a better year this year? And what effect will his presence have on the Leafs? Damned if I know, let alone Burke and the Leafs. That's a lot of pressure for a 21 year old, and if he disappoints, he's gonna have that shit on his shoulders. Giving up the draft picks was stupid, IMO. We may have shot ourselves in the foot, time will tell.
You'll do it the way any self-respecting woman does. Lay on your back, point your heels to Jesus and think of handbags.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

My Avs are kicking ass! :shock: What with new management and coaches, and no Joe Sakic, ithe season looked rather bleak. But they're hot right out of the gate! Craig Anderson?? Really?? Woooo Go Avs!
Fuck sigs.
krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

I am convinced that Leaf players are getting bonuses for each game that they lose.

Good God, they suck.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

krazeebaybee wrote:I am convinced that Leaf players are getting bonuses for each game that they lose.

Good God, they suck.
Nah, they're just trying to get their coach fired.

Also: Habs erase a 3-1 deficit and beat the Rangers 5-4 in OT. Toronto native Mike Cammalleri with the hat trick! :D
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

Avs are still rollin', and the Wings are still suckin'. :) Avs knock em off again, 3-1. Must give a stick tap to Joe Sacco, he's done a great job so far. They're a bunch of freakin' KIDS!
Fuck sigs.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

WOLF wrote:
krazeebaybee wrote:I am convinced that Leaf players are getting bonuses for each game that they lose.

Good God, they suck.
Nah, they're just trying to get their coach fired.

Also: Habs erase a 3-1 deficit and beat the Rangers 5-4 in OT. Toronto native Mike Cammalleri with the hat trick! :D
I don't think Burke will shit can Wilson.....until after the Olympics.Seeing as how they are the braintrust for Team USA I can't see Burke doing anything that might cause unease in Vancouver.Then again he traded two 1st round draft picks for an injured player who may score 40, but is just as likely to score 14,so anything is possible.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:Avs are still rollin', and the Wings are still suckin'. :) Avs knock em off again, 3-1. Must give a stick tap to Joe Sacco, he's done a great job so far. They're a bunch of freakin' KIDS!
Craig Anderson has been the best free agent signing of the off-season. Who would have thunk it? I don't know if the likes of O'Reilly, Quincey, and Duchene can keep it up, but god bless'em for trying - their fun to watch!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

when you're a last place team you might give up a couple of first rounders in exchange for a proven scorer instead of a up and comer.

leafs suck.
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

The Blackhawks will make the playoffs (who doesn't, besides the Leafs?) but won't win a Cup with Huet in net. That guy screams "average at best".
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Good run for Vancouver at the moment.

Bring on the Red Wings. :twisted:
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Hey futonsrf,Wolf.....how you guys doin' ?

6-1 for the Pens!
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

I'm really glad the Pens are doing well. Starshine Sparklebutt (fantasy team), on the other hand, is not. What is it with all of the injuries this season?
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

I stopped following the NHL in the mid-90s... can anybody here in the know comment on the likelihood of Hartford, Quebec or Winnipeg getting a team again?
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Bridget wrote:I'm really glad the Pens are doing well. Starshine Sparklebutt (fantasy team), on the other hand, is not. What is it with all of the injuries this season?
Now Malkin's out for 2-3 weeks.

Ugh
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

Punk wrote:
Bridget wrote:I'm really glad the Pens are doing well. Starshine Sparklebutt (fantasy team), on the other hand, is not. What is it with all of the injuries this season?

Ugh
No kidding. I read that yesterday and cringed. Not only will the Pens suffer (I fear), but he's yet another Sparklebutt player to go down.
krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

Ugmo wrote:I stopped following the NHL in the mid-90s... can anybody here in the know comment on the likelihood of Hartford, Quebec or Winnipeg getting a team again?
Rumours are floating that Winnipeg is getting a team. I think they've got a new arena and the city certainly could support a team.
Again though - they're just rumours.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Bridget wrote:
Punk wrote:

Ugh
No kidding. I read that yesterday and cringed. Not only will the Pens suffer (I fear), but he's yet another Sparklebutt player to go down.

While it's never a good thing for one of your marquee players to go out,this might be one of those times that it actually will be for the better.(1) The Pens are rolling,thanks mostly to their dedication to Bylsma's system and Fleury's lights out goaltending,(2) Malkin,while playing ok, is a step or two below his standard...the rest will do him good, and should pay off at playoff time.
-Jordan Staal will have to step his game up during Geno's absence,be more of an offensive prescence while letting Adams look after his defensive role.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

krazeebaybee wrote:
Ugmo wrote:I stopped following the NHL in the mid-90s... can anybody here in the know comment on the likelihood of Hartford, Quebec or Winnipeg getting a team again?
Rumours are floating that Winnipeg is getting a team. I think they've got a new arena and the city certainly could support a team.
Again though - they're just rumours.

Florida,Tampa,Atlanta,Dallas, and Phoenix are all in dire straits.Betteman can only fiddle as these teams burn for so long before someone in his inner circle sets him straight.Winnipeg is almost set to go now...they've got the building, and they've got the corporate sponsers lined up as well as potential ownership interests(though nothing definite). Quebec may also be on the menu, as a new building is all but confirmed.The other key market of course is Southern Ontario.Bettman would like for this to be an expansion market(bigger $$$$) rather than a re-location market,but if the teams in peril get real bad,expect a move here.

The main reason the 'Peg and Quebec lost their teams was money.Their income was in Canadian dollars, and their biggest expense(player salaries) were in American dollars.The big gap in currency( around .20/.25 cents at the time) crippled both teams bottom line and made it next to impossible to sign free agents or re-sign their own players.Playing in antequated buildings that held 5000,6000 less fans than most buildings and having no corprate box seats also hurt them.
With The Canadian dollar virtually on par with the American, and new state of the art buildings,not to mention a league salary cap, all signs look good for teams coming back to Canada.The major hurdle remains Bettman and his head in the sand attitude towards the 5-6 teams losing millions of dollars a year.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:Hey futonsrf,Wolf.....how you guys doin' ?

6-1 for the Pens!
See what you get for gloating? Malkin out 2-3 weeks.

Seriously though, what did you expect? The Habs aren't in the Penguins league and I think most realistic fans know that. I'm more than happy with the Habs playing .500 hockey the first half of the season, settling into a system, getting healthy (Markov), and developing some chemistry, and then we'll see what happens in the second half.

We're not allowed to finish last for years on end here and draft the likes of Fleury, Staal, Malkin, and Crosby. I wish we were some days....
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

alecjonsludge wrote: While it's never a good thing for one of your marquee players to go out,this might be one of those times that it actually will be for the better.(1) The Pens are rolling,thanks mostly to their dedication to Bylsma's system and Fleury's lights out goaltending,(2) Malkin,while playing ok, is a step or two below his standard...the rest will do him good, and should pay off at playoff time.
-Jordan Staal will have to step his game up during Geno's absence,be more of an offensive prescence while letting Adams look after his defensive role.
I think you have a valid point, when it comes to the Penguins, and especialy Staal. That said, no one will feel Malkin's absence more than Starshine Sparklebutt. No one.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

WOLF wrote:
alecjonsludge wrote:Hey futonsrf,Wolf.....how you guys doin' ?

6-1 for the Pens!
See what you get for gloating? Malkin out 2-3 weeks.

Seriously though, what did you expect? The Habs aren't in the Penguins league and I think most realistic fans know that. I'm more than happy with the Habs playing .500 hockey the first half of the season, settling into a system, getting healthy (Markov), and developing some chemistry, and then we'll see what happens in the second half.

We're not allowed to finish last for years on end here and draft the likes of Fleury, Staal, Malkin, and Crosby. I wish we were some days....
Finishing last all those years almost landed the Pens in Kanas City!I think that their recent success will make it very hard for them to have a 5 year rebuilding period like they did in the early 00's,especially with a new building next year. It is unfortunate that the Habs are never allowed to "bottom out" per se,there has been a bumper crop of talent the last few drafts,especially in the 1st round.But,hey, maybe they can snag a pick from one of the bottom dwellers, draft another Doug Wickenheiser or something.(I kid,I kid)

At least your expectations are level headed, a lot of my friends are Hab fans - they still think it's 1978 and Lafleur is bombing down the ice scoring goals.