The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Is Kovalchuk on the trading block? Hearing some whispers out of Boston. Maybe the B's aren't going to hold onto those #1 picks from the Leafs. Too good to be true.
He's a UFA at the end of the year, so he can pretty much dictate things. The risk the Bruins, or any team that acquires him, takes is that they give up a mint for him and then he signs elsewhere in the off-season - like Hossa did with the Penguins (though, in retrospect, they didn't give up all that much).

I think he can help the Bruins, but I just don't know if it's their year - they seem snakebit. Long term, I don't see Kovalchuk as a "Brew-in", then again neither was Marc Savard...
Interesting. So the Thrashers are looking to make a move before the year is out, because he's obviously not going to resign with them. Atlanta is in Boston tonight.

The B's are definitely trying to make some kind of trade. I heard Sturm and Ryder have been tossed around along with the picks. Ray Whitney is another name making the rounds.
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Kovalchuk holds all the cards, but he reminds me a lot of Petr Nedved.An all world talent that'll never quite fit in, regardless where he plays(a season or 2 beating in Jagr rebounds as a Pen notwithstanding).Sure,he'll get you a bunch of points,but he won't put you over the top. Much like Nedved,teams will pay a lot(draft picks, contract) and get no real return(Stanley Cup) for their investment.
Lardbucket
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lardbucket »

alecjonsludge wrote:Kovalchuk holds all the cards, but he reminds me a lot of Petr Nedved.An all world talent that'll never quite fit in, regardless where he plays(a season or 2 beating in Jagr rebounds as a Pen notwithstanding).Sure,he'll get you a bunch of points,but he won't put you over the top. Much like Nedved,teams will pay a lot(draft picks, contract) and get no real return(Stanley Cup) for their investment.
Ilya's still young (27 in April) and could still change this perception, but this is an interesting comparison.
I think he's a bit more than Nedved, but the "return on investment" part seems like the truth. If Kovalchuk lands on a loaded team (which would have to be a lucky fit on a rising team, like Hossa on the Blackhawks) he can be a valuable part to plug in, but if a team is looking to him as a "savior" I don't see it happening.
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Congrats to the USA junior team.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

word here in atlanta is kovy is going bye bye. unless some act of god happens and thrashers start winning every game from here on out, which ain't gonna happen. FUCK
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

Redman77 wrote:Congrats to the USA junior team.
That was a hell of a game. Sad we lost, but props to the US. That was the best hockey game I have seen in ages.

Red-Wings fan here too. We desperately need players back or bring some scoring in.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

^^^^^^^The U.S team was fast and had an agressive forecheck.On international ice( a lot bigger) this game would've been a blow out. What I don't understand is why Canada played right into the U.S. system.After the New Years Eve Game it was abundantly clear that Canada would need to dump and chase rather than attempt to gain entry into the zone while passing/carrying the puck.But there were numerous turnovers last night in the neutral zone,I blame Desjardins' laissez-faire attitude behind the bench.He chose to ignore the problem and it cost them.

I live in the same city that Canada's goalie(Jake"keep your shots down guys!"Allen) hails from, and he went from Hero to Zero pretty fast. A day ago there were signs up all around"Go Jake!","Bring back the Gold Jake!!",etc, by 8AM this morning most of them were taken down or in the midst of being so.

While the game was highly entertaining, I don't know if it could be considered a "good game". Horrendous goaltending at both ends,This should've been a 3-2,4-3 game,not 6-5 in OT.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

The US seemed way faster that the Canadian team. Great game too. Bring on the olympics!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:^^^^^^^The U.S team was fast and had an agressive forecheck.On international ice( a lot bigger) this game would've been a blow out. What I don't understand is why Canada played right into the U.S. system.After the New Years Eve Game it was abundantly clear that Canada would need to dump and chase rather than attempt to gain entry into the zone while passing/carrying the puck.But there were numerous turnovers last night in the neutral zone,I blame Desjardins' laissez-faire attitude behind the bench.He chose to ignore the problem and it cost them.

I live in the same city that Canada's goalie(Jake"keep your shots down guys!"Allen) hails from, and he went from Hero to Zero pretty fast. A day ago there were signs up all around"Go Jake!","Bring back the Gold Jake!!",etc, by 8AM this morning most of them were taken down or in the midst of being so.

While the game was highly entertaining, I don't know if it could be considered a "good game". Horrendous goaltending at both ends,This should've been a 3-2,4-3 game,not 6-5 in OT.
When was the last time you saw a gold medal game where 4 goalies were used! I agree that Canada were outcoached, and that the US speed (and skill) was just blazing. That Schroeder kid was something else, and I love what I saw from Habs pick Danny Kristo.

It was a great game, drama wise, though. I'm a tried and true Canada supporter, but this is actually good for junior hockey and this tourney. It can't always be Canada dominating and winning the gold - the rest of the world needs to maintain a routing interest too. The US deserved the victory, and the Swiss were a great story as well.

Next year, the Americans should have 9 players returning. They'll be tough to beat in Buffalo, and because the way the teams finished this year, the pools will be stacked in the US' favor next year:

POOL A = US, Switzerland, Finland, Slovakia, Qualifer (Germany or Norway)
POOL B = Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czhec Republic, Qualifer (Germany or Norway

Last point. Lets not forget that Canada has a lot of guys, playing in the NHL, who were still eligible to play in this tourney. How do you think Canada would have fared with Tyler Myers on D, as well as guys named Stamkos, Duchene, Kane (Evander), and O'Reilly (Ryan) up front? I might even be missing a few names.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

I agree that it was a great game, but the difference between goalies for this tournament and the NHL is just massive.

Oh and Sweden will win gold at the Olympics. They are a strong team with most of their players on form.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

B's are about to go on a winning streak. I can feel it. Julien dropped the hammer and the team responded against Ottawa. The Satan signing also woke up Wheeler. Thomas has his game back. Lucic is back soon, and we luckily only lost Bergeron for a couple of weeks. I also think another move is coming with the Leaf's picks.

Bring on the Blackhawks tonight! I'll be up in the balcony.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

4-0 tonight against the Coyotes tonight.

Burrows second hat-trick in a row.

Really on good form atm.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Blackhawks are tough. B's couldn't match up.
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

chungasrevenge wrote:Blackhawks are tough. B's couldn't match up.
Losing Savard 5 minutes in didn't help. Lucic looked a little rusty coming back from injury.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

What a comeback for the Wild yesterday.

Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

pieceofme wrote:What a comeback for the Wild yesterday.
That was the worst period of hockey the Hawks have played all year.
They're struggling again tonight against Anaheim, and they have a bunch of road games coming up soon. The record may take a hit in the next few weeks.
krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

We lost...again.

To The Hurricanes.....we officially suck.
You'll do it the way any self-respecting woman does. Lay on your back, point your heels to Jesus and think of handbags.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The Isles shut out the Wings tonight and looked the best they have all year, imo.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

krazeebaybee wrote:We lost...again.

it's been official for years.

i watched the gold medal game in a sports bar in riu in cabo san lucas.

since they had limited tv,there were 100 canadians gathered around a 10" computer screen with no sound . you'd think that a hotel that has a 70% canadian customer base would have tsn.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Hey KW, was that you shining the lazer in Kipper's eyes on Saturday night ?

Something tells me Kristyne De Mott is getting lots of facebook adds today.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Ron Wilson will be fired about 5 minutes after the US Olympic team ends their tournament.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:

Ron Wilson will be fired about 5 minutes after the US Olympic team ends their tournament.
I wondered why he hadn't been sacked already.

Canucks on a bad run atm.

krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

WOLF wrote:

You know, I don't know if that's the answer.
While Wilson is certainly part of the problem; the team just can't pull it together. First we (fans) blamed the goalie, then we blame lack of offense, then lack of defense....and so on. It's easy to lay blame though.

We need a shake up, big time-but where to start?

And then there's Brian Burke comparing the Leafs to a dead zebra, and the rest of the NHL teams the vultures. So do we, as fans, just give up?
You'll do it the way any self-respecting woman does. Lay on your back, point your heels to Jesus and think of handbags.
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

Oops.
Last edited by Bridget on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

krazeebaybee wrote:
WOLF wrote:

While Wilson is certainly part of the problem; the team just can't pull it together. First we (fans) blamed the goalie, then we blame lack of offense, then lack of defense....and so on. It's easy to lay blame though.

And then there's Brian Burke comparing the Leafs to a dead zebra, and the rest of the NHL teams the vultures. So do we, as fans, just give up?
Nope. At least you won tonight 4-0.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

alecjonsludge wrote:Hey KW, was that you shining the lazer in Kipper's eyes on Saturday night ?
nah, i was still in mexico.

that embarrassing. somebody should have narced that guy out. hell, i got kicked out of there just for having some rum in my pop.

i would never fuck with a goalie like that. i've had people throw coins at me when i've been in rinks. they freeze to the ice. pretty dangerous.
krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

pieceofme wrote:

And then there's Brian Burke comparing the Leafs to a dead zebra, and the rest of the NHL teams the vultures. So do we, as fans, just give up?[/quote]

Nope. At least you won tonight 4-0.[/quote]

There's that, and it was a much needed win, made sweeter that it was over Philly who seems to like beating Toronto.

I'm just saying that one win doesn't push us into the play-offs. I'm not delusional...it'd be nice, but not this year, or next year for that matter.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Any word up in Montreal on a possible Bruins/Canadiens game at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro next February? The word around here is Bob Kraft is pushing for it and the league is listening.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

chungasrevenge wrote:Any word up in Montreal on a possible Bruins/Canadiens game at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro next February? The word around here is Bob Kraft is pushing for it and the league is listening.

It's a rumour and nothing more.The league and more specifically,NBC, are opposed to any Canadian based entries in the Winter Classic.There is talk of the league holding another outdoor game per year in Canada between two Canadian based clubs,but at the moment that's all it is - talk. The league has already veteod a request from Mass. State Legislature to hold the/a Winter classic in Boston every year.A request made days after this year's classic.(Thank you Anne Allred for keeping me informed every morning!) The league doesn't want a whole bunch of outdoor games going on, because it detracts from the uniqueness of The Winter Classic. While a game at Foxboro would be a huge money maker, it's not going to happen.

What bugs me about the whole situation is an entity,NBC, who pays NOTHING to broadcast NHL games,is dictating who/where The Classic is played,meanwhile if not for the fanbase of Canadian teams,and the revenue they generate, the League as a whole would be in a bigger financial mess than they are.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

alecjonsludge wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Any word up in Montreal on a possible Bruins/Canadiens game at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro next February? The word around here is Bob Kraft is pushing for it and the league is listening.

It's a rumour and nothing more.The league and more specifically,NBC, are opposed to any Canadian based entries in the Winter Classic.There is talk of the league holding another outdoor game per year in Canada between two Canadian based clubs,but at the moment that's all it is - talk. The league has already veteod a request from Mass. State Legislature to hold the/a Winter classic in Boston every year.A request made days after this year's classic.(Thank you Anne Allred for keeping me informed every morning!) The league doesn't want a whole bunch of outdoor games going on, because it detracts from the uniqueness of The Winter Classic. While a game at Foxboro would be a huge money maker, it's not going to happen.

What bugs me about the whole situation is an entity,NBC, who pays NOTHING to broadcast NHL games,is dictating who/where The Classic is played,meanwhile if not for the fanbase of Canadian teams,and the revenue they generate, the League as a whole would be in a bigger financial mess than they are.
Thanks for the info. Too bad.