Small Potatoes- Who Killed The USFL- ESPN

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

djwill665
Debut Album Goes Gold

Small Potatoes- Who Killed The USFL- ESPN

Post by djwill665 »

Pretty Good Stuff..Confirms what was known all along.....

It was TRUMP.

He did it! Such a Dick to the director too.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4564543
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Small Potatoes- Who Killed The USFL- ESPN

Post by doctordestructo »

I DVR'ed it... very interested in this one.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

damn, i meant to watch that bt i totally missed it, shit
djwill665
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by djwill665 »

justinjc7 wrote:damn, i meant to watch that bt i totally missed it, shit

Its in 5 parts on you tube right now.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

never new the story of the USFL, was a little young to understand the importance of it, that owner in Tampa is what all owners should be...Bandit Ball my new favorite team!!

had know idea about most of the players that become legends in the NFL, biggest surprise Spurrier was a coach, thats cool, and they got the top 3 picks to go to he USFL

Trump was a major dick
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

djwill665 wrote:

Is it? I've only seen the opener when trump walks out.

I'd be interested in this as well, I remember the players and the league but never really knew what happened.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
znuff_fan
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by znuff_fan »

Too bad the other league owners didn't continue to follow the Bandit's owner, instead of listening/following Trump and his desire to move to the fall. You can tell all along Trump never had interest in the USFL as he referred to them always being "small potatoes." He only hoped to be swollowed up into the NFL. IMO that is all he was hoping for in the lawsuit.

It actually was sad to see that check for $3.76 and great to see that the players loved their time there, especially Kelly and Young and that Guard for the Bandits.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

That was really interesting. I barely remember the USFL. I went to a handful of Gamblers games and they were always entertaining as hell, but I had no idea why they folded. Trump has always struck me as a major league douchebag. That film did nothing to alter that opinion.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

doctordestructo wrote:I DVR'ed it... very interested in this one.
did not have time to watch the program last night, so i had my dvr do the work.
hope to watch the program tonight.

Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

Post by Monsters_of_Rock »

I have some USFL games in my personal video archive. I enjoy watching them still to this day. It was a cool league that I wish would have lasted longer than it did.
"We're gonna score 17? OK!!! What is Plaxico playing defense now?"
--Tom Brady
znuff_fan
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by znuff_fan »

Speaking of the USFL. I did see ESPN Classic played the 85 Championship game yesterday right before this program. I am gonna start searching torrent sites for old USFL games I think....especially that "best game nobody saw" between Kelly and Young. Sounds like was a hell of a game.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

djwill665 wrote:

Alright bad ass. Thanks
fryecreature
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by fryecreature »

Full Color Football the History of the AFL is good too
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

The Ali clips were great too.
Holmes was always thought of as a villain for that fight. Not fair. The real villian was anyone letting Ali fight. And still to this day, everyone forgets Ali fought again!. A great number of boxing fans still think Ali's last fight was against Holmes. They forget he stumbled into the ring to fight Trevor Berbick. It was a surprisingly close fight, but Ali had no business being in there.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
LuciferSanchez
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by LuciferSanchez »

bane wrote:That was really interesting. I barely remember the USFL. I went to a handful of Gamblers games and they were always entertaining as hell, but I had no idea why they folded. Trump has always struck me as a major league douchebag. That film did nothing to alter that opinion.
Saw the show, the story of Gunslinger players racing down the highway to cash their check before they bounce was funny. I remember the team vaguely, and what I do remember is the team had terrible money problems and supposively there is a video of the GM climbing out the window to hid from angry players who hadn't gotten paid.
"You can be a conceited asshole, just as long as you're a conceited asshole who's also a famous dead genius rock star in disguise."
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Tymaster wrote:The Ali clips were great too.
Holmes was always thought of as a villain for that fight. Not fair. The real villian was anyone letting Ali fight. And still to this day, everyone forgets Ali fought again!. A great number of boxing fans still think Ali's last fight was against Holmes. They forget he stumbled into the ring to fight Trevor Berbick. It was a surprisingly close fight, but Ali had no business being in there.
I already know this story inside and out but it will be interesting to see some new clips and interviews and such. What it boils down to is Ali was already suffering from Parkinson's when he took these last couple of fights. The rest of the circus (Mayo clinic giving him a clean bill of health despite finding brain damage, the quack doctor putting Ali on crazy drugs etc.) is just gravy on the whole sad story.

The fight itself is on youtube and it's just awful. Ali had absolutely nothing, and even with Holmes taking it easy on him still got the shit kicked out of him.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

bane wrote:That was really interesting. I barely remember the USFL. I went to a handful of Gamblers games and they were always entertaining as hell, but I had no idea why they folded. Trump has always struck me as a major league douchebag. That film did nothing to alter that opinion.
Of course Trump is a douchebag...but do you really hold that interview in the film against him?!

It's an obvious setup...presenting the check...and Jesus some of those questions "Would you like to apologize to all the poor folks in the USFL you fucked?"

I would have walked out too and probably been less diplomatic. I'm sure the context for that interview was "Hey Donald I'd like to interview you for a doc I'm doing on the USFL, can you help out?" Not "I'm gonna serve up some manipulative 3-hanky questions to try to make you look like an asshole."
ROADHEAD

Post by ROADHEAD »

I got sucked right into this one. Very fun to watch and very informative. Trump was a real cockface to that director, kinda funny. Good show.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
I already know this story inside and out but it will be interesting to see some new clips and interviews and such. What it boils down to is Ali was already suffering from Parkinson's when he took these last couple of fights. The rest of the circus (Mayo clinic giving him a clean bill of health despite finding brain damage, the quack doctor putting Ali on crazy drugs etc.) is just gravy on the whole sad story.

The fight itself is on youtube and it's just awful. Ali had absolutely nothing, and even with Holmes taking it easy on him still got the shit kicked out of him.
knowing hardly anything about this fight/backstory, watching this special was a must.
incredible.
i enjoyed the comments by Angelo Dundee, Dr. Ferdie and Ali's assistant trainer the best.
not only were they honest, it seemed they cared for Ali deeply. i'm sure re-living that time in their lives was very painful.
after watching the training footage, and some of the fight in this tv special, i'm convinced that Holmes could have, "killed" Ali with his hands. perhaps because Holmes was Ali's sparring partner approx 4 yrs prior, Holmes took it easy on the old man.

did i read this correctly?
Holmes received $2 million, while Ali received $8 million for this fight?

Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

knowing hardly anything about this fight/backstory, watching this special was a must.
incredible.
i enjoyed the comments by Angelo Dundee, Dr. Ferdie and Ali's assistant trainer the best.
not only were they honest, it seemed they cared for Ali deeply. i'm sure re-living that time in their lives was very painful.
after watching the training footage, and some of the fight in this tv special, i'm convinced that Holmes could have, "killed" Ali with his hands. perhaps because Holmes was Ali's sparring partner approx 4 yrs prior, Holmes took it easy on the old man.

did i read this correctly?
Holmes received $2 million, while Ali received $8 million for this fight?

THis is correct. Ali was the draw.

It's actually partly correct - Don King shortchanged Ali over $1 million. Ali sued him, but King sent a lacky over to ALi with $50,000 cash in a suitcase - Ali took the cash and signed away the other $950,000 or so. Sad.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

are any of these films available on dvd?
this film and the USFL film I would like to have in my collection.