WTF was Belicheat thinking?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

WTF was Belicheat thinking?

Post by Monsters_of_Rock »

Who in their right mind goes for it on 4th and 2 from their own 30 yard line while nursing a 6 point lead with 2:00 left in the game? Did he not have any faith in his defense, or did his overinflated opinion of his offense get the best of him? Either way, it has to be the stupidest coaching decision I've seen in 30+ years of watching football. And nothing could make me happier than seeing the "on the verge of tears" expressions on the faces of Brady and Moss after the Colts scored the winning touchdown.
"We're gonna score 17? OK!!! What is Plaxico playing defense now?"
--Tom Brady
deadvelvetrose
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: WTF was Belicheat thinking?

Post by deadvelvetrose »

great ending
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

I laughed SO HARD. :mrgreen:
Fuck sigs.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

I want to know what went through his mind if he thought he had a challenge or would get an automatic booth review after the close call on the field... and didn't.

That was some of the worst clock management I've seen since the Carolina/St Louis playoff game a few years back when Martz blew the Rams' lead.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Crazy fucker crapped out on that call....2 yards for the win! YOU LOSE!
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Wow, someone took the "worst coaching of 2009" award away from Andy Reid. Amazing.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

What a great fucking ending. The only thing that would have made it better is if they played in New England. The fan reaction would have been classic. Fuck the Pats.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Who in their right mind goes for it on 4th and 2 from their own 30 yard line while nursing a 6 point lead with 2:00 left in the game? Did he not have any faith in his defense, or did his overinflated opinion of his offense get the best of him? Either way, it has to be the stupidest coaching decision I've seen in 30+ years of watching football. And nothing could make me happier than seeing the "on the verge of tears" expressions on the faces of Brady and Moss after the Colts scored the winning touchdown.

1. I guess you didn't watch Super Bowl XXXII.

2. Belicheat ? Really ? Hey, what's that QB's name, the guy with the longest consecutive games played streak ? You know, the one who had to swallow handfuls of painkillers in order to do it and got addicted ? You know, the guy who insulted the integrity of the game by taking a dive so his pal could set the record for sacks, simply so he could have his name in the record book for another record ?

3. Speaking about players in tears.

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Either way, it has to be the stupidest coaching decision I've seen in 30+ years of watching football.

So, you really are a middle aged man, cheerleading like a teenaged girl. You probably should have left out the 30+ years part.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:Wow, someone took the "worst coaching of 2009" award away from Andy Reid. Amazing.

That's why I love you, man. You quietly slip in the funniest posts in the thread.

Wish I could say I'm sorry the Chargers won, but I'd be lying my ass off.

Edited to add: hey, I hear Marty Schottenheimer is available.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I think Belichick didn't want Manning to get a chance to do his 2-minute drill. He's pretty much unstoppable. 2 minutes plus all 3 timeouts is an eternity for him. I guess Belichick figured if NE could at least go 3 and out but kill some clock/Indy's timeouts Manning would have more trouble moving the field. Risk taken and failed.
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

Post by Monsters_of_Rock »

JakeYonkel wrote:I think Belichick didn't want Manning to get a chance to do his 2-minute drill. He's pretty much unstoppable. 2 minutes plus all 3 timeouts is an eternity for him. I guess Belichick figured if NE could at least go 3 and out but kill some clock/Indy's timeouts Manning would have more trouble moving the field. Risk taken and failed.
He made a huge statement that he has no faith in his defense. This will go down as the landmark moment in which the Patriots began to self-implode. It's the beginning of the end of their run of greatness. They'll still make the playoffs this year based on the fact that the other three teams in their division are all sub-.500 caliber teams, but they will go nowhere once they get there. Next year they will regress even more. The days of New England being one of the best teams in the league are over.
"We're gonna score 17? OK!!! What is Plaxico playing defense now?"
--Tom Brady
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I wouldn't go that far. I DESPISE the Patriots but it was just one game, they're still a fantastically-run organization with a QB in his prime, one of the best (if not THE best) coaches in the league, and a terrific group of guys making personnel decisions.

They aren't the same team that won 3 out of 4 Super Bowls but they'll be a contender every year for the foreseeable future.
Kamikaze_Russo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Kamikaze_Russo »

That's the kind of shit you just do in Madden football.
Heenan Snuka

Post by Heenan Snuka »

fact:

Since 2001, The Patriots with Tom Brady have converted 4th and 2 or less, 76% of the time

those are good odds, and if u make it, u win the game
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
WTF

Post by WTF »

My butt hurts a little bit from last night.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

He did it because he's arrogant and was caught up in the moment. He didn't have the night to sleep on it, he made a split second decision.

The only thing on his mind is he could get 2 yards. He didn't have some fucking sheet looking at 4th down % or any of that shit, he didn't think about having to hold them for 70 or 20 yards or the message it was going to send to his defense. He did it because he thought he could pull it off!

He made the call because he's overly aggressive. AND FAILED!

What kills me is every commentator is split 50/50 on debates, fuck making an argument, he should be drilled for it. He cost them the game. He wasn't playing for the win he was playing for the loss.

You want percentages? In the history of the NFL I'd bet 99.999% of the time every coach that's every faced that similar position KICKED THE FUCKING BALL! FOR A REASON!
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

JakeYonkel wrote:I think Belichick didn't want Manning to get a chance to do his 2-minute drill. He's pretty much unstoppable. 2 minutes plus all 3 timeouts is an eternity for him. I guess Belichick figured if NE could at least go 3 and out but kill some clock/Indy's timeouts Manning would have more trouble moving the field. Risk taken and failed.
I think Belichick just thought he would send a big "fuck you" message to his defense.

Terrible, terrible call, and it succeeded in making half the team hate his guts. Nice move moron.

I think 5 years without a trophy is starting to rot the guy's brain.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Who in their right mind goes for it on 4th and 2 from their own 30 yard line while nursing a 6 point lead with 2:00 left in the game? Did he not have any faith in his defense, or did his overinflated opinion of his offense get the best of him? Either way, it has to be the stupidest coaching decision I've seen in 30+ years of watching football. And nothing could make me happier than seeing the "on the verge of tears" expressions on the faces of Brady and Moss after the Colts scored the winning touchdown.

2. Belicheat ? Really ? Hey, what's that QB's name, the guy with the longest consecutive games played streak ? You know, the one who had to swallow handfuls of painkillers in order to do it and got addicted ? You know, the guy who insulted the integrity of the game by taking a dive so his pal could set the record for sacks, simply so he could have his name in the record book for another record ?
Aren't you Canadian?

Why do you have so much to say about American politics and American football?

I got no love for Brett but what does he have to do with one of the worst coaching calls in the history of prime time football?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I hate Brady with his perfect image and team, but good for the coach to make the game fun to watch

after the game the coach should have shown Manning the middle finger with the 3 rings

I hate both teams, but Pats win only because Manning is a bitch, fuck him and his family
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Fucking sports coverage is total shit, 80% of all discussions on ESPN is over this fucking call. Did we play any other games this weekend?

Fact is, the Pat's was winning the game and that call put them in the position to lose.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Interesting to see Bruschi saying Bill got it wrong and that the defense should be upset they didn't get the chance to stop the Colts.

I'd have punted and then tried to blitz Manning early on the next drive.
noam_bombsky
Forming a Band

Post by noam_bombsky »

UtahRatt wrote:He did it because he's arrogant and was caught up in the moment. He didn't have the night to sleep on it, he made a split second decision.

The only thing on his mind is he could get 2 yards. He didn't have some fucking sheet looking at 4th down % or any of that shit, he didn't think about having to hold them for 70 or 20 yards or the message it was going to send to his defense. He did it because he thought he could pull it off!

He made the call because he's overly aggressive. AND FAILED!

What kills me is every commentator is split 50/50 on debates, fuck making an argument, he should be drilled for it. He cost them the game. He wasn't playing for the win he was playing for the loss.

You want percentages? In the history of the NFL I'd bet 99.999% of the time every coach that's every faced that similar position KICKED THE FUCKING BALL! FOR A REASON!
And that's it right there. There really isn't anything more to be said about this whole situation.
It's like granny always said: "Some turds float to the top; some turds sink to the bottom. In the end, they all get flushed."
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

I think it was a good call. Manning is very good at running the 2 minute drill and I don't think it would have made too much of a difference.

Actually the play worked and they got enough yardage for a 1st down. They just got a very bad spot. Go back and watch the replay. The ball got marked where Faulk landed instead of the point of forward progress after he got possession.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Faulk was bobbling the ball as he was getting hit and pushed backwards, it was very difficult to see whether he made it or not. It was a call that could have gone either way.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Aren't you Canadian?

Why do you have so much to say about American politics and American football?

I got no love for Brett but what does he have to do with one of the worst coaching calls in the history of prime time football?

1. Relevance ?

2. Is there some law I am unaware of that forbids people from other countries from following American football ?

3. Just prime time football and not football period ? The call would have been better on a Sunday afternoon in a blacked out region ?
melvinthemopboy
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by melvinthemopboy »

We hang our heads in shame here in New England... :cry:
WTF

Post by WTF »

The thing is, they SHOULD have been able to get 2 yards. To me, if you are going for it in that position on the field you may as well throw all caution to the wind. When everyone knows you are going to try to get the first down, wouldn't the way to go down in flames or celebration be to fake the short pass or run play and go deep to Moss?
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

I didn't have a problem with the call. I would bet on Brady, Moss, Welker and Faulk being able to get 2 yards to win the game. He pushed his chips and lost. Now it's time to tear off Sanchez's head and shit down his throat on Sunday to make up for it.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

If it was any other coach on any other team he would be drawn and quartered.

Dumbest coaching decision of the year.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

From Advanced NFL Stats...

GOING FOR IT...

With 2:00 left and the Colts with only one timeout, a successful conversion wins the game for all practical purposes. A 4th and 2 conversion would be successful 60% of the time. Historically, in a situation with 2:00 left and needing a TD to either win or tie, teams get the TD 53% of the time from that field position. The total WP for the 4th down conversion attempt would therefore be:

(0.60 * 1) + (0.40 * (1-0.53)) = 0.79 WP [win probability]

PUNTING...

A punt from the 28 typically nets 38 yards, starting the Colts at their own 34. Teams historically get the TD 30% of the time in that situation. So the punt gives the Pats about a 0.70 WP

It's all in the math people! 8) :lol:
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!