Andre Dawson elected to Hall of Fame (nobody else gets in)

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Hootchietoad
Headlining Clubs

Re: Andre Dawson elected to Hall of Fame (nobody else gets in)

Post by Hootchietoad »

Punk wrote:The guy that pisses me off is Dave Parker, my all time favorite player. He had more runs scored, RBIs, stolen bases, and total bases than Jim Rice, not to mention had 3 gold gloves to Rice's 0. He also played a big part on 2 championship teams. Rice? None.

Fuck the HOF.

/end my annual HOF rant
In all fairness, though, he played the equivalent of about 3 1/2 years longer than Rice, and had 42 more RBI, 23 more runs and 276 more total bases. Give Rice that time and he more than liley surpasses those numbers. Or better yet, cherry pick Parker's best 14 years vs Rice from '75 thru '88 (74 he played only 24 games and '89 only 56) and see who has higher numbers. Gotta compare apples to apples.
Image Image
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Machado wrote:
Punk wrote:The guy that pisses me off is Dave Parker, my all time favorite player. He had more runs scored, RBIs, stolen bases, and total bases than Jim Rice, not to mention had 3 gold gloves to Rice's 0. He also played a big part on 2 championship teams. Rice? None.

Fuck the HOF.

/end my annual HOF rant
The Cobra
Damn fine ball player
Remember the throws he made in the Seattle All-Star game:
That throw from the right field corner to nail the runner at third was insane. Ironically, that runner was named Jim Rice.

Dude could've been a first ballot HOFer if it wasn't for 81, 82, and 83. Those 3 years killed him. Cocaine's a helluva drug.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

i miss the Expos. :(
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

JakeYonkel wrote:Kill, you think A-Rod gets into the Hall? I know it's early and a ton can change. But I think him 'coming clean' kinda helped the shitstorm blow through, more than denying it ala Bonds, McGwire, Clemens.

From where I stand, yes.

Hoping he doesn't have a career-ending injury, but his retirement is a ways off. The PED field progresses, but with the blackeye baseball has received...so does the testing.

The dude fucked up. He admitted he made a mistake ( like Pettite ), he was forgiven ( like Pettite ). Unfortunatley he wears pinstripes because he's only going to get better.

He came clean and will be a first ballot HOF'er. Possible even the first to receive 100%.

Manny? Nope, maybe someday. Denial and refusal will only hamper your inductions. The guy's that do that, I don't want in. No matter how fucking good they were. If they're lowering standards numbers wise, don't fucking lower the integrity too.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

I am shocked the Blyleven hasn't gotten in yet. An amazing pitcher who ranks in the top 20 since 1900 in Wins (17th), Strikeouts (5th), and Shutouts (8th). Eight seasons with 200+ strikeouts (six of them consecutive). He just happened to play for a lot of shitty teams, and in minor baseball markets.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Bob Sacamano wrote:I am shocked the Blyleven hasn't gotten in yet. An amazing pitcher who ranks in the top 20 since 1900 in Wins (17th), Strikeouts (5th), and Shutouts (8th). Eight seasons with 200+ strikeouts (six of them consecutive). He just happened to play for a lot of shitty teams, and in minor baseball markets.
I'm with you on Blyleven. I disagree with Dawson. I know a lot of people loved him, but I think he "just missed it" personally. Then people bring up the whole Jim Rice arguement. I wanted him in as a fan, but I understand where Yonkel is coming from.

Freddy Lynn's number's were almost identical to Rice, but where people gloss it over, or where do you stand? Is is the impact. Next to guy's like George Brett, Reggie Jackson, Hank motherfucking Aaron, the greatest 2B of all-time Joe Morgan and the Big Red Machine. Jim Ed Rice was the most feared hitter in that era for a time.

Does that mean he belongs in the HOF? Well, I'm happy, but there are arguements against it. Take for example Yonkel, he's a filthy MFY, but the dude know's his shit when it comes to baseball. He disagrees with it. I'm happy, but he's a boderline canidate. I also feel that "loveable guys" like Andre Dawson are in the HOF because of it. When I look at him, I don't see a HOF player.

Good for him.......this just got me admitting a bunch of shit about Rice I didn't want to ( I wasn't even around when he was dominate :lol: ). Goddamnit Yonkel :lol: Filthy MFY or not, the dude knows his shit.

Out of the current HOF players. I'm for Blyleven. And NO, Machado, you don't have to elect someone. It doesn't work like that. If you played Major League Baseball, when you retire you're up for the HOF. It doesn't matter your numbers. If you retired , an you played 10 years. Your still on the ballot . Those are the guy's I'm talking about. Dudes with like a 2% vote. Dude's that this will be the highlight of their career, just to be in the same sentence as their competition. Will Clark, Oil Can, Kevin Mitchell, or Tony Aramas. Just to name a few.

If i was a BBWAA voter, I woulda voted Blyleven. Even that woulda been difficult, because I don't think any of them were bonafide HOFer's. Goose getting in was looooooonnnnnngggggg overdue. Rice? Boderline ( and still debateable ) Hawk? Are you fucking me? I loved the guy too.

I also loved Mattingly ( even if he played for evil ). I wouldn't fucking put him in the Hall Of Fame. I should be the Goddamn Commissioner.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I think it's funny that we can sit here and argue the validity of a candidate that we were both too young to see play!

I guess that's kinda another issue, is the fact that these guys stay on the ballots for so long, you know? Dawson picked up another 10% or so from 2008 to 2009 - I don't think he hit any homers or stole any bases in that time period. I do agree that you gotta be eligible for a few years, but the current standard is, as they say... "whack." :lol:
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Just to play Devils Advocate,Dawson is one of only 3 guys to have 400 HR and 300 steals(Barry Bonds and Willie Mays the others).As well,according to TSN,Dawson was the only guy with 400+ HR and 1500+RBI not in the HOF. Factor in to equation that he played 11 years in cavernous,pitcher friendly Olympic Stadium as well, a lot of his doubles/triples and deep fly outs could've been HR's elsewhere.I realize "could've,would've,should've" is never a strong debating chip,but if 500 HR is the "golden ticket" for HOF entry, it is worth noting.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

Well, I'm happy. :D Met and talked with him several times, really nice guy, although a little reserved. We're gonna try to make the trip to see the induction. (Yes, I know, he only played his last 2 seasons with the Marlins, but it's the first ex-Marlins player to be inducted. He's now a special assistant in the FO.

What?
Fuck sigs.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

VinnieKulick wrote: And, if you are going to deny him for ALLEGED performance enhancement, kick out everybody who played on speed in the 60s and 70s.
McGwire, Sosa, Clemens, Palmeiro. I say NONE of them make it.

Ha!

BREAKING NEWSMark McGwire has admitted he used steroids off and on for nearly a decade, including when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.
Last edited by johnk5150 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

I saw the 3 pm Sportcenter yesterday and the Dawon/HOF induction was the 3rd story reported. Not the lead in story(as i assumed).
WOW!!!
Hell'sHungryChild
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hell'sHungryChild »

Rose will not get the respect he deserves and get into the HOF until after he passes away. Then the sports media will put him on a pedestal and praise his greatness.

In regards to Mcgwire being kept out,that's a joke. Steroids or not, he was a phenomenal power hitter. It takes talent and you have to be great to do whatt he did. Lou Ferigno an Charles Atlas were strong guys, but I bet they couldn't hit 60+ homeruns.
All Heil hell