BCS Championship Game, Bama vs Texas!

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: BCS Championship Game, Bama vs Texas!

Post by thejuggernaut »

dtmfs wrote:1. Yeah, I'll admit i'm not up on college history as i am the NFL, I can't think of any college "willis reed" type moments where the kid says "fuck it, i'm hurt but i'm gonna play through it." You're right theres def a big difference, but any of those guys i mentioned could've prematurley ended their pro careers. big ben will be due another huge contract sooner or later and he went out there because he's a tough SOB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ
dtmfs wrote:2. Like I said if his shoulder was seriously fucked up, I don't blame him/the coaching staff for keeping him out. there was some fishy shit going on and it just seemed strange to me. They never had him take a couple practice throws, he was shown on the sidelines lifting the arm up, touching his face etc, and of course thats getting big talk on the net and cable sports shows, you know the inevitable "how hurt was he"? I'm not trying to rag on the guy, he's a hell of a player. I really thought the announcers comments though about the NFL being more important than the game were a slap in the face to his teammates.

That's the problem. The lasting image is his daddy running to the dressing room and him not coming back in the game.

If I am Mack Brown, I am seriously thinking about his younger brother and would I even play him. If they get to a title game and he takes a big hit, is daddy gonna pull him out too ?
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Damn now I feel like an idiot, that wasent very long ago and i remember it being played all over the highlights.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

dtmfs wrote:
Did Herbie and Musburger actually say the NFL might
be more important than the game last night?
WOW!!
at one point I heard musberger say something to that effect, not exact words but close enough. i remember it was after he mentined mccoys dad was back there with him.
I expect a little more than that from Bret.
Those comments are very unfair and pure speculation.
Very surprised!
If only this man was still in the booth
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

thejuggernaut wrote:
dtmfs wrote:1. Yeah, I'll admit i'm not up on college history as i am the NFL, I can't think of any college "willis reed" type moments where the kid says "fuck it, i'm hurt but i'm gonna play through it." You're right theres def a big difference, but any of those guys i mentioned could've prematurley ended their pro careers. big ben will be due another huge contract sooner or later and he went out there because he's a tough SOB.
dtmfs wrote:2. Like I said if his shoulder was seriously fucked up, I don't blame him/the coaching staff for keeping him out. there was some fishy shit going on and it just seemed strange to me. They never had him take a couple practice throws, he was shown on the sidelines lifting the arm up, touching his face etc, and of course thats getting big talk on the net and cable sports shows, you know the inevitable "how hurt was he"? I'm not trying to rag on the guy, he's a hell of a player. I really thought the announcers comments though about the NFL being more important than the game were a slap in the face to his teammates.

That's the problem. The lasting image is his daddy running to the dressing room and him not coming back in the game.

If I am Mack Brown, I am seriously thinking about his younger brother and would I even play him. If they get to a title game and he takes a big hit, is daddy gonna pull him out too ?
That bothered me too. I had David Carr flashbacks, but McCoy's Dad hasn't been a major distraction over the past 4 years, at least not that I'm aware of. I really don't think Colt or his father "pulled him from the game". It was too big for that. The kid busted his ass for 4 years to get there. He came back and played after last year when he could have gone pro, arguably with a higher draft position than he'll have now. He wanted that championship as bad as anybody. I'd be willing to bet that he was either incapable of throwing the ball, or the doctors were insistent that he not run the risk and his old man was there to talk him down.
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

Redman77 wrote:
dtmfs wrote: And Monty one reason Saban is considered a prick is the way he handled his situation in miami, dude said with a straight face he wasent going anywhere and he was commited to the dolphins, not long after he was landing in Alabama to take the job there, WTF is so hard about saying, "yeah i might take the bama job"?
He's always been about the next job, no matter where he coached.
And that's why his nickname is "Suitcase Sabin"!
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

thejuggernaut wrote:

His dad didn't try to pull him out. The trainers originally told him he couldn't go back in but Colt tried everything he could to get back in that game including lying and saying he felt totally fine. But the trainers made him prove it to them by throwing a pass to his dad 7 yards away. He threw the ball and had no control and missed the ball short and right, tumbling to the ground from 7 yards at a stand still. He tried that a few more times and could still not do that. If Colt could have even played at 50 percent he would have been in that game but it just wasn't possible
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

justinjc7 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

His dad didn't try to pull him out. The trainers originally told him he couldn't go back in but Colt tried everything he could to get back in that game including lying and saying he felt totally fine. But the trainers made him prove it to them by throwing a pass to his dad 7 yards away. He threw the ball and had no control and missed the ball short and right, tumbling to the ground from 7 yards at a stand still. He tried that a few more times and could still not do that. If Colt could have even played at 50 percent he would have been in that game but it just wasn't possible

1. Way to arrive on time.

2. You were in the locker room to witness all of this ? Or are you just gobbling up what the pr machine tells you ?
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

Nope, I believe there was an article somewhere about it but I go to the University of Texas and I know one of the football players and I heard it directly from him so I would say I've got a pretty good idea of what really happened.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

justinjc7 wrote:Nope, I believe there was an article somewhere about it but I go to the University of Texas and I know one of the football players and I heard it directly from him so I would say I've got a pretty good idea of what really happened.
This "source" of yours was on the field when it went down. So he was TOLD what happened.

It's simple - they saw what happened to Bradford and decided not to risk anything, ESPECIALLY after Nebraska and with Alabama coming at him.

There's no other reason for McCoy's father to be going back to the team dressing room. McCoy wasn't laid out cold or anything of the sort where there'd be a cause for concern for his overall health and well being.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
justinjc7 wrote:Nope, I believe there was an article somewhere about it but I go to the University of Texas and I know one of the football players and I heard it directly from him so I would say I've got a pretty good idea of what really happened.
This "source" of yours was on the field when it went down. So he was TOLD what happened.

It's simple - they saw what happened to Bradford and decided not to risk anything, ESPECIALLY after Nebraska and with Alabama coming at him.

There's no other reason for McCoy's father to be going back to the team dressing room. McCoy wasn't laid out cold or anything of the sort where there'd be a cause for concern for his overall health and well being.
They've been teammates with each other for 3 years now, all the football players hang out and know one another very well. If you were on a college football team and something happened to your teammate of a few years in the biggest game of your entire life, you wouldn't know what happened?? That makes no sense at all to me
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

justinjc7 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

They've been teammates with each other for 3 years now, all the football players hang out and know one another very well. If you were on a college football team and something happened to your teammate of a few years in the biggest game of your entire life, you wouldn't know what happened?? That makes no sense at all to me

That's just it. It was the biggest game of THEIR lives. But McCoy is going to the NFL. Whether he becomes a star there or not is irrelevant; he's going, and there was a lot of money on the table to possibly be lost.

They sure as hell aren't going to tell the teammates "oh, well, you see, my dad got worried about my pro prospects so we decided to not risk anything".
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

I don't think anybody but McCoy really knows.

The only thing we all know is that if McCoy wasn't hurt, Bama wouldn't have won.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

killeverything wrote:I don't think anybody but McCoy really knows.

The only thing we all know is that if McCoy wasn't hurt, Bama wouldn't have won.
Thank you, finally people are starting to realize that. Alabama was heavily favorited and no one gave any respect to the Horns as usual yet they almost one with a red shirt freshman quarterback who has never started a college football game and had fewer total yards in the season than Colt's per game average. Texas started the game on fire but once Colt was knocked out of the game the momentum totally changed
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

justinjc7 wrote:

Thank you, finally people are starting to realize that. Alabama was heavily favorited and no one gave any respect to the Horns as usual yet they almost one with a red shirt freshman quarterback who has never started a college football game and had fewer total yards in the season than Colt's per game average. Texas started the game on fire but once Colt was knocked out of the game the momentum totally changed

I knew they would be in the Championship before the season started. The Horns lost the College World Series prior to. I thought they would've been knocked out by LSU, not go all the way. So I knew they would kill it in football. McCoy was knocked out, and the lesser team won.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

killeverything wrote:
justinjc7 wrote:

I knew they would be in the Championship before the season started. The Horns lost the College World Series prior to. I thought they would've been knocked out by LSU, not go all the way. So I knew they would kill it in football. McCoy was knocked out, and the lesser team won.
Agreed. Its really a shame that after 4 years of hard work Colt McCoy got screwed out of the one thing he wanted to accomplish at the University of Texas. But at least we still have basketball and baseball. Both our volleyball and football teams made it to the national championship, our basketball team is ranked number 1, and in a ranking by Collegiate Baseball magazine our baseball team is number one too. When you add in our ranked womens basketball team and a swimming and diving team that has consistently been the best in the Big 12, its easy to say that UT is by far the best University when it comes to sports
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Easy.

McCoy getting "hurt" was the same problem he's had all year, especially against Nebraska.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

justinjc7 wrote:

As usual ?

Pre season #2 is no respect ?

Allowing them to maintain that ranking in spite of a horrible performance vs Nebraska is not giving them respect ?

Texas started the game "on fire" but the same thing that's plagued them all year is what got McCoy "injured".

There's absolutely zero reason to think they'd have won with McCoy taking a pounding.

Sure, you can look at the kid's second half numbers and think "not bad for a frosh" but then you have to remember the game had already essentially been decided and it's easier to have success when you feel like there's nothing left to lose.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
justinjc7 wrote:

As usual ?

Pre season #2 is no respect ?

Allowing them to maintain that ranking in spite of a horrible performance vs Nebraska is not giving them respect ?

Texas started the game "on fire" but the same thing that's plagued them all year is what got McCoy "injured".

There's absolutely zero reason to think they'd have won with McCoy taking a pounding.

Sure, you can look at the kid's second half numbers and think "not bad for a frosh" but then you have to remember the game had already essentially been decided and it's easier to have success when you feel like there's nothing left to lose.
Wow your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

1. Sure they got a number 2 ranking but that was given by the AP and Coaches polls. In sports media all the attention was constantly given to Alabama and Florida who were supposed to be miles ahead of Texas which was proven to not be true. When Texas played Mizzou, all the members of Around the Horn picked the Horns to be crushed due to them being "over-rated"-Texas won 41-7. The following week the same thing happened, Texas beat 14 ranked OK ST 41-14. Then when the championship was lined up no one gave any thought to the Longhorns.

2. I really hope you read this part because I want to enlighten you on something. Texas got crushed by the media and other dumb asses like you for having a tough win over a ranked Nebraska team in a conference championship game. Well what about Alabama?? Texas had 3 wins of 10 points or less, while Alabama had 4. Yet when it happens to Alabama, it just means that Alabama is such a great team with heart, yet when it happens to Texas its cuz there overrated. Alabama only beat an unranked Tenn. team by two points, only because they missed not 1, not 2, but 3 field goals. If they would have only made one of those Alabama would not be the BCS Champion. Yet Texas barely slides past a ranked team and it means the Horns are "over-rated"??

3. There's no reason to think the Horns would have won if McCoy wouldn't have gotten injured?? Umm did you watch the beginning of that game. Here's how the game went
-Alabama got the ball first, were forced to a 4th and long and then intercepted on the 4th down attempt
-The Longhorns drove 20 yards and had to settle for a field goal after McCoy was knocked out of the game
-On the next kick off the Horns were able to recover the ball and once again have possesion
-The Longhorns got another field goal, scoring twice while Alabama had only run 4 plays, one of them being an interception

And you want to tell me that the Horns didn't have all the momentum in their favor. Also, with about 3 and a half minutes in the game, the Horns were down by only 3 points with a freshman quarterback. If Gilbert wouldn't have turned the ball over at the end of the first half resulting in an Alabama touchdown that 3 point deficit would have been a 4 point Texas lead, which would have resulted in different play-calling, preventing that last Alabama interception that sealed the game and gave Alabama the championship

You obviosly have no idea what your talking about. Colt McCoy being injured plagued Texas all year?? He wasn't inured at all during the year, proving you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

justinjc7 wrote:
Wow your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Careful little guy, you're starting to sound like P13.
justinjc7 wrote:1. Sure they got a number 2 ranking but that was given by the AP and Coaches polls. In sports media all the attention was constantly given to Alabama and Florida who were supposed to be miles ahead of Texas which was proven to not be true. When Texas played Mizzou, all the members of Around the Horn picked the Horns to be crushed due to them being "over-rated"-Texas won 41-7. The following week the same thing happened, Texas beat 14 ranked OK ST 41-14. Then when the championship was lined up no one gave any thought to the Longhorns.
So 4 reporters picked against them ? Well, I am glad those 4 reporters speak for the rest of the world.
justinjc7 wrote:2. I really hope you read this part because I want to enlighten you on something. Texas got crushed by the media and other dumb asses like you for having a tough win over a ranked Nebraska team in a conference championship game. Well what about Alabama?? Texas had 3 wins of 10 points or less, while Alabama had 4. Yet when it happens to Alabama, it just means that Alabama is such a great team with heart, yet when it happens to Texas its cuz there overrated. Alabama only beat an unranked Tenn. team by two points, only because they missed not 1, not 2, but 3 field goals. If they would have only made one of those Alabama would not be the BCS Champion. Yet Texas barely slides past a ranked team and it means the Horns are "over-rated"??
Crushed by dumbasses like me ? When did I "crush" Texas ?

You and your fucking "ifs".

I'll tell you what, go this thread, the very last post, and post for all of us the quote of me "crushing Texas". Go for it.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=173629&start=210

Now, back to the point. Alabama's squeaked victory vs Tennessee was not very flattering. it was also in the middle of the season when teams are generally still trying to figure themselves out. Texas shat the bed in the Big 12 title game, a time when a team should know itself. 9 fucking sacks and countless knockdowns.

Then a better defense was coming along after having just emarassed the defending champs. You can't see why people were skeptical ?

Regardless, in spite of the egg Texas laid vs Nebraska, they still were ranked #2. That means people were willing to allow for the possibility that it was a fluke. That, is respect for Texas. Otherwise, things would have been different.

justinjc7 wrote:3. There's no reason to think the Horns would have won if McCoy wouldn't have gotten injured?? Umm did you watch the beginning of that game. Here's how the game went
-Alabama got the ball first, were forced to a 4th and long and then intercepted on the 4th down attempt
-The Longhorns drove 20 yards and had to settle for a field goal after McCoy was knocked out of the game
-On the next kick off the Horns were able to recover the ball and once again have possesion
-The Longhorns got another field goal, scoring twice while Alabama had only run 4 plays, one of them being an interception
Ummm, yes, I watched the whole game. Did you ? Let's assume McCoy's dad didn't and hadn't pulled him out. Did he "hurt his arm" drinking Gatorade ?
justinjc7 wrote:And you want to tell me that the Horns didn't have all the momentum in their favor. Also, with about 3 and a half minutes in the game, the Horns were down by only 3 points with a freshman quarterback. If Gilbert wouldn't have turned the ball over at the end of the first half resulting in an Alabama touchdown that 3 point deficit would have been a 4 point Texas lead, which would have resulted in different play-calling, preventing that last Alabama interception that sealed the game and gave Alabama the championship
That's terrific. As I said, you can play better when you have nothing left to loose. And let's not think Alabama didn't play like it was already over because they clearly weren't as aggressive as they were in the first half. They let up because the kid was in, and the kid let it loose because he had nothing to lose as he wasn't expected to beat Alabama.
justinjc7 wrote:You obviosly have no idea what your talking about. Colt McCoy being injured plagued Texas all year?? He wasn't inured at all during the year, proving you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about
I have no idea what I'M talking about ? Please, feel free to provide the link where I said McCoy was injury plagued all year.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

thejuggernaut wrote:
That's terrific. As I said, you can play better when you have nothing left to loose. And let's not think Alabama didn't play like it was already over because they clearly weren't as aggressive as they were in the first half. They let up because the kid was in, and the kid let it loose because he had nothing to lose as he wasn't expected to beat Alabama.
It looked more to me like Texas coaching decided they were going to have to let the kid throw the ball if they were going to get back in the game, once they did, Texas was competitive again. Alabama wasn't getting three and outs and fantastic field position because they couldn't just tee off on the run any more. I didn't see any Alabama "let up".
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

bane wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
It looked more to me like Texas coaching decided they were going to have to let the kid throw the ball if they were going to get back in the game, once they did, Texas was competitive again. Alabama wasn't getting three and outs and fantastic field position because they couldn't just tee off on the run any more. I didn't see any Alabama "let up".
Of course you didn't.