McGwire admits steroid use

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: McGwire admits steroid use

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:Do everybody here a favor and if you can, post the entire article.
I found this on ESPN.COM
I laughed so hard when mcgwire chose not comment on what Canseco has claimed. Saying that he is above that or anything else Canseco has to say. Give me a break!!!

A convicted drug dealer who says he used to supply steroids to former baseball slugger Mark McGwire told ESPN on Thursday that McGwire's goal was to get "bigger, faster, stronger" to improve his performance on the field, contradicting recent statements by McGwire, who said he used the drugs to maintain his health.

Curtis Wenzlaff, speaking to ESPN's Outside the Lines, said he feels there is no doubt that the array of drugs he provided McGwire helped him become a more-accomplished home-run hitter.

"Will it help you hit a baseball?" Wenzlaff said. "Let me put it to you this way. If Paris Hilton was to take that array, she could run over Dick Butkus."

McGwire and the St. Louis Cardinals declined to respond to Wenzlaff's interview, which will be featured on Outside the Lines on Sunday (9 a.m. ET, ESPN).

The New York Daily News reported in March 2005 that Wenzlaff provided McGwire with the following drug recipe: ½ cc of testosterone cypionate every three days; one cc of testosterone enanthate per week; ¾ cc of equipoise and Winstrol V, every three days -- all to be injected into the buttocks.

At the time, Wenzlaff would only confirm that he provided steroids to McGwire's former Oakland teammate Jose Canseco. But on Thursday, Wenzlaff confirmed what had been reported and confirmed by FBI sources and documents nearly five years earlier -- that he supplied the drugs to Canseco and McGwire and he added that the drugs were to help McGwire become a better baseball player, not to recover from an injury.

When asked for his reaction to McGwire's claim that he only took steroids to stay healthy enough to play, Wenzlaff said: "I chuckled. If excelling and kicking ass on the field is the end result I guess that's a healthy, good feeling. But for health, there are other things you can take for health that are anabolic, but it wouldn't be that type of combination."

When asked about McGwire's goal for taking the array of steroids he recommended and provided to McGwire, Wenzlaff said, "As anybody -- bigger, faster, stronger."

He also said that he thinks the combination of drugs he provided for McGwire would help McGwire's hand-eye coordination.

"When you implement into what you are doing -- for instance hitting -- an individualized, specialized program with muscle growth and explosiveness ... while you're on your drugs, it will improve your hand-eye coordination."

Dr. Gary Wadler, head of the World Anti-Doping Agency committee that draws up the list of banned substances, told the Associated Press earlier this month: "There's such a huge body of evidence that there's no question -- none -- whether anabolic steroids enhance performance. Period."

Wenzlaff was arrested in Operation Equine, a landmark anabolic steroids case that resulted in more than 70 trafficking convictions in the early 1990s. One informant told the Daily News in 2005 that Wenzlaff injected McGwire at a gym in Southern California on several occasions, although Wenzlaff said he couldn't recall the injections because it was more than 20 years ago.[/color]
Posting the entire article makes him look worse.

The guy doesn't have the first clue how to design a cycle, yet he claims he knows the benefits.

Awesome.

Oh, and LOL at improved hand eye.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

now it's time for Ozzie Guillen & Robin Yount to comment on the mcgwire situation:

Ozzie Guillen said he feels betrayed by Mark McGwire's admission that he used performance-enhancing drugs, and the Chicago White Sox manager isn't buying the slugger's contention that they didn't help him hit home runs at a record pace.

"That bothered me," Guillen told ESPNChicago.com columnist Melissa Isaacson on Thursday. "First of all, we competed against [McGwire's Oakland teams] in the '90s, and when I saw that, I was like, wow, I could have been in more playoffs, maybe I'd have had the chance to be in the World Series because we had a pretty good ballclub.

"When people say, 'I don't know what happened,' we're lying to ourselves. I didn't see anyone doing it, but I know something happened. I saw these people growing bigger. The only time I felt betrayed is when Mark said, 'I did it, then Jose did it,' and we competed against them. Besides that, I don't even care. But I think Jerry Reinsdorf should have more division championship [banners] hanging around this ballpark than we have because we competed against them pretty good, and when you see the two best hitters they have that were on the juice, you feel betrayed."

Guillen credits McGwire for coming forward and admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs, but he's not sure the former St. Louis Cardinals slugger is being completely honest about the effects they had on his record-breaking power numbers.

"Personally, I hope he's right and I'm wrong, but I don't believe that didn't help him to hit the 60, 70 home runs," Guillen said. "I know God gave him a lot of talent because I saw the guy hit 50 his first year in the big leagues and that didn't come from [steroids]. But you can hit 50 home runs 390 feet and [that's different than hitting] 70 home runs 700 feet.

"But people can think whatever they want to think. Only he knows what's going on."

Guillen joined former White Sox catcher Carlton Fisk in criticizing McGwire, but Hall of Famer Robin Yount wonders if he could have said no to PEDs if he had played in the steroid era.

"I'll be very honest," Yount said in Friday's edition of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "In the fact that there was no testing and if there were benefits from it, it would have been very difficult.

"Without testing in place, you would've almost been forced to do it to keep up."

Yount, who played with the Milwaukee Brewers from 1974-93, said he won't criticize players who took steroids before testing was put in place by Major League Baseball.

"As competitive people and doing it for a living like we did, it's easy to [criticize] and not having to make those decisions," Yount said. "Those guys didn't get to that level of athletic expertise without being very competitive. I'm sure there's some out there who wouldn't do it, but it would've been very difficult if there were no rules against it to honestly say you wouldn't have done it."
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:now it's time for Ozzie Guillen & Robin Yount to comment on the mcgwire situation:

Ozzie Guillen said he feels betrayed by Mark McGwire's admission that he used performance-enhancing drugs, and the Chicago White Sox manager isn't buying the slugger's contention that they didn't help him hit home runs at a record pace.

"That bothered me," Guillen told ESPNChicago.com columnist Melissa Isaacson on Thursday. "First of all, we competed against [McGwire's Oakland teams] in the '90s, and when I saw that, I was like, wow, I could have been in more playoffs, maybe I'd have had the chance to be in the World Series because we had a pretty good ballclub.

"When people say, 'I don't know what happened,' we're lying to ourselves. I didn't see anyone doing it, but I know something happened. I saw these people growing bigger. The only time I felt betrayed is when Mark said, 'I did it, then Jose did it,' and we competed against them. Besides that, I don't even care. But I think Jerry Reinsdorf should have more division championship [banners] hanging around this ballpark than we have because we competed against them pretty good, and when you see the two best hitters they have that were on the juice, you feel betrayed."

Guillen credits McGwire for coming forward and admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs, but he's not sure the former St. Louis Cardinals slugger is being completely honest about the effects they had on his record-breaking power numbers.

"Personally, I hope he's right and I'm wrong, but I don't believe that didn't help him to hit the 60, 70 home runs," Guillen said. "I know God gave him a lot of talent because I saw the guy hit 50 his first year in the big leagues and that didn't come from [steroids]. But you can hit 50 home runs 390 feet and [that's different than hitting] 70 home runs 700 feet.

"But people can think whatever they want to think. Only he knows what's going on."

Guillen joined former White Sox catcher Carlton Fisk in criticizing McGwire, but Hall of Famer Robin Yount wonders if he could have said no to PEDs if he had played in the steroid era.

"I'll be very honest," Yount said in Friday's edition of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "In the fact that there was no testing and if there were benefits from it, it would have been very difficult.

"Without testing in place, you would've almost been forced to do it to keep up."

Yount, who played with the Milwaukee Brewers from 1974-93, said he won't criticize players who took steroids before testing was put in place by Major League Baseball.

"As competitive people and doing it for a living like we did, it's easy to [criticize] and not having to make those decisions," Yount said. "Those guys didn't get to that level of athletic expertise without being very competitive. I'm sure there's some out there who wouldn't do it, but it would've been very difficult if there were no rules against it to honestly say you wouldn't have done it."
1. Guillen probably didn't mind having Albert Belle and Frank Thomas as teammates.

2. Yount is the first sensible vet to speak up about it.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Machado wrote:now it's time for Ozzie Guillen & Robin Yount to comment on the mcgwire situation:

1. Guillen probably didn't mind having Albert Belle and Frank Thomas as teammates.

Are you certain about yount? I think I heard Mike Schmidt say something simliar, way before these yount comments.

johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

Machado wrote:
When asked about McGwire's goal for taking the array of steroids he recommended and provided to McGwire, Wenzlaff said, "As anybody -- bigger, faster, stronger."
How fast do you need to be when all you're doing is jogging 360 feet?
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:

Would you care to wager on McGwire keeping that job all season?

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

If I were to lay a bet in Vegas, I would put all my money on big mac not lasting the entire season as the hitting coach.
He's the type of person who wants to live a quite life after baseball.
Being in seclusion was the type of lifestyle he preferred.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Are you certain about yount? I think I heard Mike Schmidt say something simliar, way before these yount comments.

I had no idea.

Just checked and you are correct.

Good for Schmidt.

MARK McGUIRE - HALL OF FAME?
The big question confronting Hall voters, this months, is McGuire? Might I offer some insight, as a Hall Member, once a home run hitter, and recently, an author of a best selling book addressing it.

Everyone knows that someone in my position will tend to walk the fence on the issue. I won’t argue that, I’m human, and I see the same things you do, but I was in that world for 20 years myself, and know a little about the pressure. I’d ask the voters to look past the basic question, did he or didn’t he, and consider the era, and what fueled it.

Look back at the era, that in my book, Clearing the Bases, I call Finding the Abyss. The theme I intended to convey was that, the Commissioner, baseball owners, executives, and administrators, the print and broadcast media, as well as the fans, all got caught up in the power explosion, which was led by McGuire. We loved him, and Sammy, and the fact that they were saving our game. No one wanted it to stop, it lasted almost 10 years. It was a feeding frenzy, and everyone fed off of it, especially television and baseball’s licensees. How about baseball gives all the money back that it made off of Mark McGuire? No, instead, baseball, and those that benefit from it, will keep that money, but punish McGuire, by associating him with steroid use, and questioning his Hall of Fame entrance.

The point is, with no testing policy in place before 2005, and the expectations we put on those players, one must acknowledge that the approval they received daily, from media exposure, money, and fame, fueled their need for an “edge”. Thank God steroids weren’t available to us in the 70’s and 80’s. I, and many who will remain unnamed, would have been 40 lbs. heavier trying to keep up with the Jones, especially since the combination of leading the league in home runs and becoming a free agent meant millions. Think what it means today, choosing between Citation and Gulfstream.

As a player of his caliber, and fan expectation, in an era of electronic exposure beyond belief, where anything and everything is available, and a great many of your peers are getting bigger and more powerful, the temptation to join in was immense. What about integrity, honesty, clean living; maybe that’s what constitutes a Hall of Famer? Based on history, I don’t think so.

Ok, it sounds like I’m making excuses, and asking voters to condone the use of steroids just because “everybody was doing it”, well, to some degree I am, not so much on the player’s side, but the public. The public wanted to see his giant biceps and long bombs, and could care less what Mark McGuire was putting in his milk. He was baseball’s superman. Now you want to vilify him because he doesn’t want to own up, or admit, or even refute an involvement with steroids. Whoa! Now I’m not saying that if someone slips into the bathroom stall and sticks a needle in his butt, he should be given the benefit of the doubt. That borders on stupidity, and only Jose Canseco’s word is in evidence against Mark. Mark’s diet supplements were legal when he played.
What about his refusal to come clean before Congress? Yes, I agree, that could have been handled better, but we all know he was advised by his council to steer clear of any personal issues that might open an “abyss” of media scrutiny.

Until, and if ever, Mark chooses to admit to steroid use, you must give him the benefit of doubt. I guarantee you every Hall voting baseball writer got a months worth of articles from Mark’s career, and during the period from 1995 to 2003, they loved his every swing. In fact, I think most fans would agree, few players ever had as big an impact on baseball, including the two 1st ballot entries in 2007.

One last thing, this is only the beginning. Don’t forget over the next 10 years, dozens and dozens of players from that era will arrive on the ballot. So voters, you better treat that era for what it was, and what fueled it, and understand that what is more important than yes, or no, on McGuire, is how you interpret what constitutes Hall of Fame credentials in today’s version of baseball.

Mike Schmidt says steroid users like McGwire have his HOF vote

The Philly Daily News caught up with Mike Schmidt. The former Philly HOF third baseman says players like Mark McGwire have his HOF vote.

PERHAPS MIKE SCHMIDT is on to something.

Yesterday, at Phillies spring training in Clearwater, Fla., Schmidt told reporters that if he had a vote, he would have selected Mark McGwire for this year's Baseball Hall of Fame class.

Schmidt sees no problem with the accused 'roid users. He doesn't understand why nothing much was written about McGwire or Sosa back in '98. Perhaps Schmidt is a better fielder than a reader. BALCO did not occur until 2002-2003, with 'Game of Shadows' published in 2006. Although reporters caught Big Mac with little Andro, the extend of the anabolic use was unknown (at least to most) in the late 90s.

While he is at it, Schmidt should endorse corked bats too.

Schmidt_mike011000But Schmidt isn't a writer and has no vote, despite being a Hall of Famer.

Maybe it's time for that to change. Maybe it's time for baseball to take the Hall of Fame vote away from the writers and instead give it to Hall of Fame members.

In the big picture, Schmidt and other Hall of Famers probably do have a better perspective on how McGwire, whose career is shadowed by a popular belief that he used performance-enhancing drugs, fits into the baseball pantheon.

"I think Mark McGwire, along with [former Chicago Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa], sort of saved the game back in the late '90s," Schmidt said...

"I don't see how we all could ride on the shoulders of Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa for 4 or 5 years and not write much or say much about the steroids element in the game."

Schmidt questioned why people watched those players and wrote about them, and then, when it came time for Hall of Fame considerations, they "all of a sudden bring up the issue of steroids and connect them to it."...

Some Hall of Fame members are like Schmidt and think the steroids issue is overblown with respect to Hall of Fame credentials.

Others think it is an unforgivable violation of the spirit of the game...

"I think it set a precedent," Schmidt said of McGwire's omission from the Hall. "Anyone who has been associated with steroids or substance abuse is probably not going to get in the Hall of Fame, certainly not in their first opportunity."

The actual members of the Hall of Fame should be the ones to decide that.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

No.

Not to be honest, I don't think he's going to be the REAL hitting coach.

They'll probably have a hitting "consultant" who'll be the real coach, and this title is just to get McGwire back in the game.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

thejuggernaut wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

No.

Not to be honest, I don't think he's going to be the REAL hitting coach.

They'll probably have a hitting "consultant" who'll be the real coach, and this title is just to get McGwire back in the game.
I don't see how it will work either. Plus if what Holliday said about his "coaching" is any indication, then I think he'll definitley not be the main guy.

As for his HOF eligibility. I think what Schmidt said is right. I also think what Pudge said is right. These guys' actions really piss me off, because it's damaged the game so much.

Do you keep out some of the greatest players of all-time because they cheated? Or do you try to save what little integrity the game has left?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

I say you elect these players into the hall, but make sure
there is either an * or a detailed editorial that describes their actions.

Sooner or later these players will get into the HOF.
Why not treat them just a little bit differently than everybody else
who was elected before them??
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Does Gaylord Perry have an asterisk ?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

thejuggernaut wrote:Does Gaylord Perry have an asterisk ?

currently no player in the HOF has an asterisk.
never will a player that is currently already in the HOF receive
an asterisk. i can't see that happening one bit.

but, IMO, what perry did to the ball(s) is much different than was mcgwire has admitted to doing or A-Rod or Pettitte or Clemens or what Bonds is accused of doing.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:

but, IMO, what perry did to the ball(s) is much different than was mcgwire has admitted to doing or A-Rod or Pettitte or Clemens or what Bonds is accused of doing.
It's different in as much as hitting is different than pitching.

However, don't be a putz - hitters took juice to hit better. Perry greased the ball so hitters couldn't hit as well.

It's every bit as "bad"
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Machado wrote:

It's different in as much as hitting is different than pitching.

However, don't be a putz - hitters took juice to hit better. Perry greased the ball so hitters couldn't hit as well.

It's every bit as "bad"
I can't imagine a scenario where the HOF would place an * no the plaques of players already in the HOF.
As much as maybe someone like Perry deserves that, it won't happen.
But that does not mean the * won't come into play for the "juicers" who are now eligible to enter the HOF.

If mcgwire was elected and given an *, that is fine by me.
Same for the players I mentioned earlier.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote: It's every bit as "bad"[/color][/size]
The everyone else is a tool so my guy being a tool doesn't matter either defense. It's tired. The writers think so too. McGwire is the enough is enough guy. Deal with it.

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
The everyone else is a tool so my guy being a tool doesn't matter either defense. It's tired. The writers think so too. McGwire is the enough is enough guy. Deal with it.
And therein lies the problem - the writers.

These non athletic weasels are shaping opinions and determining people's fates.

And the defense IS relevant - that was the culture and environment. Pitches were being thrown by juicers, fly balls chased down by juicers, throws from and into the infield thrown by juicers.

Besides, integrity is an illusion in baseball. You're talking about a sport where the owner of a team can design his stadium to his specs, not a universal set.

Everyone talks about roid players not playing on a level playing field - there is no fucking level playing field in baseball.

Because there is no standard field dimension (which I am glad for, btw, and wish football and hockey would use that principle) let's not kid ourselves about the fact that where a team drafts you more or less determines your salary and your HOF chances, no matter how good you are.

Hitters playing 81 games in places like Boston, Wrigley, Colorado have a distinct advantage over other areas. It's the nature of the game. Always has been. But let's not pretend that any of the record are "legit" when clearly they're not due to LITERALLY uneven playing fields.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

The veterans committee is more evil than than the writers to me.

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

The veterans committee is more evil than than the writers to me.
I disagree, for no other reason than the fact there's experience there.

Writers, by and large, became writers because they weren't good enough at sports, so they have no business determining if someone is worthy of athletic excellence.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

[quote="thejuggernaut"

Writers, by and large, became writers because they weren't good enough at sports,[/quote]

On what are you basing that? I actually KNOW a lot of sportswriters that went to school to be journalists, but became sportswriters. All of them thought they'd be serious journalists but drifted toward sports because it was easier. I'll name names and you'll know them. MOST of them think people following the sports they cover is silly. You make a lot of blanket statements about things as if they're fact. The most successful prognosticator of preseason football in the 90s and early 2000s was a photo editor who took the job of preseason predicting not because he couldn't play football in college, but because no one else at the magazine wanted the gig. Care to guess who that is?

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Writers, by and large, became writers because they weren't good enough at sports,
On what are you basing that?
Oh, I don't know, life or something ?

If they were good at sports, they'd have played football and whatever else. Not joined the school newspaper.

johnk5150 wrote:I actually KNOW a lot of sportswriters that went to school to be journalists, but became sportswriters. All of them thought they'd be serious journalists but drifted toward sports because it was easier.
Congratulations. I'm very proud of you. If you can spare a moment from your self back patting, perhaps you can explain how the fuck that is relevant to anything at all ?
johnk5150 wrote:I'll name names and you'll know them. MOST of them think people following the sports they cover is silly.
You do that. See how long it takes me to pretend to give a fuck.
johnk5150 wrote:You make a lot of blanket statements about things as if they're fact.
Oh, sorry to offend you with my blanket statements cupcake.

I make a lot of blanket statements as if they're fact, yet you know a pocket of sportswriters and that speaks for the whole profession ?

johnk5150 wrote:The most successful prognosticator of preseason football in the 90s and early 2000s was a photo editor who took the job of preseason predicting not because he couldn't play football in college, but because no one else at the magazine wanted the gig. Care to guess who that is?
I have a better idea. Email him and ask what his prognostication is about me giving a fuck.

Ok, so what we've learned today is:

Lots of sports writers wanted to be journalists but took the easy way out (great, even further removed from sports determining qualifications for excellence)

These journalists were good enough to play college football, get lots of pussy and maybe even get drafted but instead they chose the much more pussy-magnetic option to develop film, write about sports and predict the outcomes of games.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

"Writers, by and large, became writers because they weren't good enough at sports.
Sure. Sure. Your life observations allow you to magically know the motivations of thousands of people from a certain labor pool.

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

"Writers, by and large, became writers because they weren't good enough at sports.
Sure. Sure. Your life observations allow you to magically know the motivations of thousands of people from a certain labor pool.
Meanwhile, your pocket of pro contract refusing writer pals apparently allows you to magically know the motivations of thousands of people from a certain labor pool.

LOL @ writing being a called labor in any way.