McGwire admits steroid use

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: McGwire admits steroid use

Post by thejuggernaut »

bane wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Poor pudge sounds a bit upset.
He also sounds accurate.
And no, he's not accurate. Steroids help hand eye coordination ? LOL
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid »

thejuggernaut wrote:
bane wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
He also sounds accurate.

Good for him. He's still a whiny faggot. "So excuuuuuse me" The guy is in his 60s and talking like that ?

He's just pissed he missed the money train and he sounds like nothing more than a cranky old man rambling about "kids these days"

You're in denial, friend. I'm sure McGoo thinks the way you do every morning he looks in the mirror. Then...waterworks.
GreatWhiteSnake wrote:I'm 46 and my dad's 67 and we kiss each other on the mouth and my 9 yo old son and I do too. It's because we love each other. A lot. And could give a shit what anyone else thinks about us kissing on the mouth.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Good for him. He's still a whiny faggot. "So excuuuuuse me" The guy is in his 60s and talking like that ?

He's just pissed he missed the money train and he sounds like nothing more than a cranky old man rambling about "kids these days"

You're in denial, friend. I'm sure McGoo thinks the way you do every morning he looks in the mirror. Then...waterworks.
What exactly am I in denial about ?
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
bane wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
He also sounds accurate.

He was still playing when it all started. It prolly coulda extended his career if he'd chosen to go that way. I'll never forget the image of Fisk screaming at Deion Sanders for not running out a grounder.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
bane wrote:
He's just pissed he missed the money train and he sounds like nothing more than a cranky old man rambling about "kids these days"[/color][/size]
He was still playing when it all started. It prolly coulda extended his career if he'd chosen to go that way. I'll never forget the image of Fisk screaming at Deion Sanders for not running out a grounder.
John-Thanks for reminding me about that incident. Great reaction from Fisk.

What Fisk had to say is very accurate. Players from his era probably feel similiar to Fisk, but just don't care enough(yet) to make statements.
Once ST begins, I believe more "old timers" like Fisk will voice their opinion against mcgwire.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Carlton Fisk retired before the strike.

The "roid era" didn't really start until after the strike.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

thejuggernaut wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

The "era" certainly didn't, but 50HR rookie McGwire was juicing in his Oakland days so Fisk was around for it.
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

LMBIH @ anyone saying Fisk was accurate. He had so many inaccuracies in that interview it's absurd.
Fisk the dumb shit wrote:But this is the point I want to make: When you talk about steroids and you talk about what it means to the game, the three greatest home run hitters of all time—Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays, right? When they were 39 years old, how many home runs do you think they averaged? The three greatest home run hitters of all time averaged 18 home runs at age 39. Now, how many home runs did Barry Bonds hit when he was 39? He hit 73
Well now let's see...at age 39, Babe Ruth hit 22 home runs — and it isn’t like Ruth was famous for keeping himself in shape. Willie Mays hit 28 home runs at age 39. Hank Aaron hit 40 home runs at age 39. So that’s an average of 30 per player, not 18. Not close to 18. None of the three hit 18. And not only that: Carlton Fisk at age 39 hit more than 18 homers too — he hit 23.

He got the Barry Bonds thing wrong too. Look, at any age, hitting 73 home runs is going to be an eye-opener. But, in fact, Bonds hit the 73 when he was 36 years old. At 39, he hit 45 homers — a lot, absolutely, the most ever for a player 39 or older. But it ain’t 73.

This beatdown of the ill informed Mr Should Keep His Mouth Closed Until He Gets the Right Info is courtesy of one Joe Posnanski. Fisk should seriously shut the hell up about shit he doesn't know much about.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

killeverything wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

The "era" certainly didn't, but 50HR rookie McGwire was juicing in his Oakland days so Fisk was around for it.
49 HR rookie McGwire didn't use steroids until he was 33 HR 3rd year McGwire. And that was only in the offseason.

Fisk also played during the days of Corked Bat Belle, Emory Board Niekro and Vaseline Perry (HOF, BTW)
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Punk wrote:LMBIH @ anyone saying Fisk was accurate. He had so many inaccuracies in that interview it's absurd.
Fisk the dumb shit wrote:But this is the point I want to make: When you talk about steroids and you talk about what it means to the game, the three greatest home run hitters of all time—Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays, right? When they were 39 years old, how many home runs do you think they averaged? The three greatest home run hitters of all time averaged 18 home runs at age 39. Now, how many home runs did Barry Bonds hit when he was 39? He hit 73
Well now let's see...at age 39, Babe Ruth hit 22 home runs — and it isn’t like Ruth was famous for keeping himself in shape. Willie Mays hit 28 home runs at age 39. Hank Aaron hit 40 home runs at age 39. So that’s an average of 30 per player, not 18. Not close to 18. None of the three hit 18. And not only that: Carlton Fisk at age 39 hit more than 18 homers too — he hit 23.

He got the Barry Bonds thing wrong too. Look, at any age, hitting 73 home runs is going to be an eye-opener. But, in fact, Bonds hit the 73 when he was 36 years old. At 39, he hit 45 homers — a lot, absolutely, the most ever for a player 39 or older. But it ain’t 73.

This beatdown of the ill informed Mr Should Keep His Mouth Closed Until He Gets the Right Info is courtesy of one Joe Posnanski. Fisk should seriously shut the hell up about shit he doesn't know much about.

Fisk is one of the most criminally overrated and overhyped players in history.

Part of his resentment stems from the fact that his two former teams won WS back to back with juicers and nobody gives a flying fuck about his faggy "wave it fair" home run anymore because the Sox aren't the lovable losers they once were.

Carlton Fisk was "legendized" by the "Nation" because he had a unique home run trot during one of their many "hearthbreaks"

Then, when he was shown the door, the "Nation" tried to Munsonize and Ruthinize him.

He's just a bitter old man who's seen all his memories and records wiped out by juicers and he's pissed because THEY got paid and he couldn't.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Time for Fergie Jenkins to add his 2 cents

NEW YORK (AP)—Ferguson Jenkins says Mark McGwire owes an apology to all those pitchers who gave up his home runs.

The Hall of Fame ace sent an open letter to The Associated Press this week, telling the former home-run king: “You have not even begun to apologize to those you have harmed.”

“How many pitchers do you think he ended their careers by hitting numbers of home runs off them?” Jenkins said during a telephone interview Wednesday.

Jenkins also maintained he would have known how to handle the bulked-up McGwire, who hit a then-record 70 homers in 1998 and followed with 65 the following year.

“It’s tough to hit a home run off your back,” Jenkins said. “In my era, Seaver, Gibson, Drysdale, Carlton, there were so many guys that would have probably knocked him on his butt. He wouldn’t have hit home runs the way he did in that era.”

Thirty years ago, Jenkins himself became one of the first players caught up in baseball’s struggles with drug discipline. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn suspended Jenkins following the pitcher’s arrest in Canada on charges of cocaine possession, but the penalty was overturned by an arbitrator less than two weeks later—the first time a baseball commissioner’s ruling was reversed. A judge gave Jenkins an absolute discharge: no fine, no jail term and no record.

Hired in October by manager Tony La Russa as hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals. McGwire last week admitted he used steroids for a decade, including when he broke Roger Maris’ season home-run record in 1998. Jenkins is one of several Hall of Famers to criticize McGwire, a group that includes Goose Gossage and Carlton Fisk.

Hank Aaron has said he’s willing to forgive McGwire, tied for eighth with 583 home runs.

“You have yet to apologize to all the pitchers you faced while juiced,” Jenkins wrote. “You altered pitchers’ lives. You may have shortened pitchers careers because of the advantage you forced over them while juiced. Have you thought about what happened when they couldn’t get you out and lost the confidence of their managers and general managers? You even managed to alter the place some athletes have achieved in record books by making your steroid-fueled run to the season home run record.”

Fifty-one pitchers gave up a total of 57 homers to McGwire in what turned out to be their final major league seasons, according to STATS LLC, among them Bert Blyleven, Orel Hershiser, Dennis Martinez, Charlie Leibrandt and Donnie Moore.

Jenkins said in his letter that McGwire needs to apologize to several constituencies.

“You need to apologize to your family for depriving them of your presence as time goes on because you are likely going to die earlier than if you had never relied on andro to carry you to all your successes,” he said.

McGwire admitted at the time of the home-run chase in 1998 that he used androstenedione, a steroid precursor that was made a controlled substance in 2004, when it also was banned by baseball.

Jenkins dismissed McGwire’s assertion that he took steroids because of injuries and that they didn’t help improve his performance. He also didn’t think McGwire will make a very effective hitting coach.

“La Russa is his buddy,” Jenkins said. “That’s the only reason he got to be hitting coach. I’m not sure a home-run hitter can teach a good hitter, a contact hitter, how to play, how to hit. He swung for the fences most of the time. How you going to teach a guy that’s a .240 hitter to put it in play?”

Jenkins, who plans to make appearances at spring training for the Chicago Cubs, was especially vocal about McGwire’s scant Hall of Fame support: He doesn’t expect it to increase. He also thinks the admission last week was directly related to McGwire re-entering baseball.

“He wasn’t going to stay in hiding the rest of his life. Why did it take five years? Why didn’t he come clean as soon as he quit?” Jenkins said. “They’ll be a lot of pressure put on him by a lot more reporters come spring training. He really hasn’t touched on what he ought to be saying to the public or to fellow ballplayers. If you’re going to hold a press conference, hold a press conference.”
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:Time for Fergie Jenkins to add his 2 cents

NEW YORK (AP)—Ferguson Jenkins says Mark McGwire owes an apology to all those pitchers who gave up his home runs.

The Hall of Fame ace sent an open letter to The Associated Press this week, telling the former home-run king: “You have not even begun to apologize to those you have harmed.”

“How many pitchers do you think he ended their careers by hitting numbers of home runs off them?” Jenkins said during a telephone interview Wednesday.

Jenkins also maintained he would have known how to handle the bulked-up McGwire, who hit a then-record 70 homers in 1998 and followed with 65 the following year.

“It’s tough to hit a home run off your back,” Jenkins said. “In my era, Seaver, Gibson, Drysdale, Carlton, there were so many guys that would have probably knocked him on his butt. He wouldn’t have hit home runs the way he did in that era.”

Thirty years ago, Jenkins himself became one of the first players caught up in baseball’s struggles with drug discipline. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn suspended Jenkins following the pitcher’s arrest in Canada on charges of cocaine possession, but the penalty was overturned by an arbitrator less than two weeks later—the first time a baseball commissioner’s ruling was reversed. A judge gave Jenkins an absolute discharge: no fine, no jail term and no record.

Hired in October by manager Tony La Russa as hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals. McGwire last week admitted he used steroids for a decade, including when he broke Roger Maris’ season home-run record in 1998. Jenkins is one of several Hall of Famers to criticize McGwire, a group that includes Goose Gossage and Carlton Fisk.

Hank Aaron has said he’s willing to forgive McGwire, tied for eighth with 583 home runs.

“You have yet to apologize to all the pitchers you faced while juiced,” Jenkins wrote. “You altered pitchers’ lives. You may have shortened pitchers careers because of the advantage you forced over them while juiced. Have you thought about what happened when they couldn’t get you out and lost the confidence of their managers and general managers? You even managed to alter the place some athletes have achieved in record books by making your steroid-fueled run to the season home run record.”

Fifty-one pitchers gave up a total of 57 homers to McGwire in what turned out to be their final major league seasons, according to STATS LLC, among them Bert Blyleven, Orel Hershiser, Dennis Martinez, Charlie Leibrandt and Donnie Moore.

Jenkins said in his letter that McGwire needs to apologize to several constituencies.

“You need to apologize to your family for depriving them of your presence as time goes on because you are likely going to die earlier than if you had never relied on andro to carry you to all your successes,” he said.

McGwire admitted at the time of the home-run chase in 1998 that he used androstenedione, a steroid precursor that was made a controlled substance in 2004, when it also was banned by baseball.

Jenkins dismissed McGwire’s assertion that he took steroids because of injuries and that they didn’t help improve his performance. He also didn’t think McGwire will make a very effective hitting coach.

“La Russa is his buddy,” Jenkins said. “That’s the only reason he got to be hitting coach. I’m not sure a home-run hitter can teach a good hitter, a contact hitter, how to play, how to hit. He swung for the fences most of the time. How you going to teach a guy that’s a .240 hitter to put it in play?”

Jenkins, who plans to make appearances at spring training for the Chicago Cubs, was especially vocal about McGwire’s scant Hall of Fame support: He doesn’t expect it to increase. He also thinks the admission last week was directly related to McGwire re-entering baseball.

“He wasn’t going to stay in hiding the rest of his life. Why did it take five years? Why didn’t he come clean as soon as he quit?” Jenkins said. “They’ll be a lot of pressure put on him by a lot more reporters come spring training. He really hasn’t touched on what he ought to be saying to the public or to fellow ballplayers. If you’re going to hold a press conference, hold a press conference.”

Look at Cokey McSnortfuck trying to preach from the high ground.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

So are they going to rustle up some recent playahs or are they going to rely on rickety old fucks who had cheaters o plenty in their day and are just pissed because they never got paid ?
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Now Ty Cobb is chiming in:
The Georgia peach wrote:"I would've hit .500 if I had them needles and stuff to put in em" said Cobb. "And another thing, I would've slid into first, spikes high enough to erase whatever the fuck is wrong with his neck skin."
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Punk wrote:Now Ty Cobb is chiming in:
The Georgia peach wrote:"I would've hit .500 if I had them needles and stuff to put in em" said Cobb. "And another thing, I would've slid into first, spikes high enough to erase whatever the fuck is wrong with his neck skin."
Then he shot a black guy.

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:Look at Cokey McSnortfuck trying to preach from the high ground.[/size]
The difference between Jenkins and McGwire is Jenkins freely admits to everything he did and has apologized repeatedly. McGwire is still lying to himself and fans with that 'steroids didn't help me' bullshit.

Cubs fans have forgiven Fergie and he's welcome back. That lying piece of shit Sosa better not come back. You won't see any standing-O for him if he had the stones to show up here ala St. Louis.

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:Look at Cokey McSnortfuck trying to preach from the high ground.[/size]
The difference between Jenkins and McGwire is Jenkins freely admits to everything he did and has apologized repeatedly. McGwire is still lying to himself and fans with that 'steroids didn't help me' bullshit.

Cubs fans have forgiven Fergie and he's welcome back. That lying piece of shit Sosa better not come back. You won't see any standing-O for him if he had the stones to show up here ala St. Louis.
Cards fans have forgiven McGwire.

Regardless, a fucking junkie, who's habit contributed to the harm of OTHER PEOPLE, doesn't really have a moral high ground.

McGwire's actions helped build St Louis into legitimate power, culminating in a WS victory (once testing had begun).

Jenkins' actions helped contribute to the Cubs never ending ineptitude.

McGwire really doesn't have anything to apologize for, at least to Cards fans.

Jenkins should STILL be apologizing until the Cubs win a WS.

And that bit about him ending pitchers' careers - priceless.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

thejuggernaut wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

Regardless, a fucking junkie, who's habit contributed to the harm of OTHER PEOPLE, doesn't really have a moral high ground.

McGwire's actions helped build St Louis into legitimate power, culminating in a WS victory (once testing had begun).

Is anybody surprised that cards fans gave mcgwire a standing ovation recently when he appeared at a team function? of course nobody is surprised.
giants fans cheered for bonds and still would, if he was wearing a uniform. mcgwire can only expect cards fans to cheer him. nobody else will.

it could be that "old-timers" are speaking to the press because current players are afraid or have been advised not to speak.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:

He's going to be sorry for a long fucking time. Marlon Byrd? Really?

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Is anybody surprised that cards fans gave mcgwire a standing ovation recently when he appeared at a team function? of course nobody is surprised.
giants fans cheered for bonds and still would, if he was wearing a uniform. mcgwire can only expect cards fans to cheer him. nobody else will.

it could be that "old-timers" are speaking to the press because current players are afraid or have been advised not to speak.
So who exactly is he supposed to apologize to then ? The people who booed him as a player ?

They can shit in their mothers' mouths because their teams had juicers too.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Juggs-Anybody who saw his apology w/Costas knows that it was nothing more than a 1/2 ass apology.
His words were filled with holes.

mcgwire could have set the record straight, once and for all. Since he failed, the press, the media and baseball fans are not yet convinced he told the truth and nothing but the truth.
mcgwire ducked Congress 5 yrs ago and once again he ducked baseball with his weak attempt at a confession.

The aftermath is that old timers are being very critical of mcgwire and he deserves every bit of the critcism.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:Juggs-Anybody who saw his apology w/Costas knows that it was nothing more than a 1/2 ass apology.
His words were filled with holes.

mcgwire could have set the record straight, once and for all. Since he failed, the press, the media and baseball fans are not yet convinced he told the truth and nothing but the truth.
mcgwire ducked Congress 5 yrs ago and once again he ducked baseball with his weak attempt at a confession.

The aftermath is that old timers are being very critical of mcgwire and he deserves every bit of the critcism.

Good he ducked congress. That congress was called in is ridiculous.

It's not like he's a grade a asshole like Bonds.

People seem to forget him breaking down and crying when he got his steroid contract because it would allow him to give a lot of $$$ to charity to help children.

Yeah, what an arch fucking villain.

Notice how it became a political issue when so many ball players got fat steroid contracts under the Bush tax cuts? Sure appears as though the weasels were pissed at how much additional money they couldn't get their hands on.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:
The aftermath is that old timers are being very critical of mcgwire and he deserves every bit of the critcism.[/size]
That's what old-timers do - bitch and moan about "these kids today."

It's all bullshit and I don't take any of that seriously. Jack fucking clark? Wasn't he a gambling addict and all-around lowlife?

Jenkins? Wasn't he a cokehead and all-around lowlife?

And these idiots are giving morality lessons?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Machado wrote:
The aftermath is that old timers are being very critical of mcgwire and he deserves every bit of the critcism.[/size]

It's all bullshit and I don't take any of that seriously. Jack fucking clark? Wasn't he a gambling addict and all-around lowlife?

I don't know if they are giving morality lessons. I believe they are speaking about the game of baseball.
What does blow or gambling have to do with PED's???
NADA!!!
If you think this story is over, think again.
Once ST starts and more old-timers are at ST, those players will be interviewed and speak the truth about their feelings towards mcgwrire.
It's won't be nice.

Listen, all mcgwire had to do was be honest, be sincere and reveal just what he did.
Instead he gave some info, but not all of it.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Machado wrote:

It troubles me that we are agreeing on something.

:)
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

2 more quotes from people once associated with the cards

There has been backlash from a number of sources since Mark McGwire's recent statements concerning steroid use. In an interview with the Appleton (Wisc.) Post-Crescent, former Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog said this:
“The people in St. Louis give Mark McGwire a standing ovation the other day, and Jack Clark said every steroid user should be banned from baseball, and they booed him. … Now, what the hell is the matter with society when that happens?"

Then there was this from Adolphus A. Busch IV, the great-great grandson of Anheuser-Busch founder Adolphus Busch: "McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time - alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to the game itself."
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

McGwire is a Big McFraud
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Machado wrote:2 more quotes from people once associated with the cards

There has been backlash from a number of sources since Mark McGwire's recent statements concerning steroid use. In an interview with the Appleton (Wisc.) Post-Crescent, former Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog said this:
“The people in St. Louis give Mark McGwire a standing ovation the other day, and Jack Clark said every steroid user should be banned from baseball, and they booed him. … Now, what the hell is the matter with society when that happens?"

Then there was this from Adolphus A. Busch IV, the great-great grandson of Anheuser-Busch founder Adolphus Busch: "McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time - alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to the game itself."
Herzog had no problem playing gambling addicts and drug addicts when it befitted him.

And who cares what the great-great grandson of a drug pusher has to say.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Before someone tries to use this as "evidence", allow me to debunk.

The New York Daily News reported in March 2005 that Wenzlaff provided McGwire with the following drug recipe: ½ cc of testosterone cypionate every three days; one cc of testosterone enanthate per week; ¾ cc of equipoise and Winstrol V, every three days -- all to be injected into the buttocks.

Ok, so what we have is this:

Testosterone - 2 ccs per week. 400 mg per week which is the minimul ideal amount. For a first cycle, sure you'll get big. But given that Big Mac used it for years, 2 ccs would hardly do anything for him except heal wounds.

Winstrol - 3/4 of a cc of Winstrol every 3 days ? Winstrol has a half life of less than half day, with an elimination half life of approximately one day. In other words, he gained no benefit from Winstrol. ESPECIALLY at that dose.

Equipoise - 3/4 of a cc every 3 days ? Ok, assuming it was the 200 mg/ml variety, that's 300 mg per week. For a first cycle, sure, he'd get some effects from it. But for someone who was using it for years, no. Not at that dosage.

So basically, the roids only helped McGwire enhance his performance for 1, maybe 2 years at the outside. Or that guy is a liar who has no clue what's he's talking about and is just making shit up.

Assuming the guy is telling the truth, they were PEDs for 1-2 years tops, and switched into PDDs.

Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Do everybody here a favor and if you can, post the entire article.
I found this on ESPN.COM
I laughed so hard when mcgwire chose not comment on what Canseco has claimed. Saying that he is above that or anything else Canseco has to say. Give me a break!!!

A convicted drug dealer who says he used to supply steroids to former baseball slugger Mark McGwire told ESPN on Thursday that McGwire's goal was to get "bigger, faster, stronger" to improve his performance on the field, contradicting recent statements by McGwire, who said he used the drugs to maintain his health.

Curtis Wenzlaff, speaking to ESPN's Outside the Lines, said he feels there is no doubt that the array of drugs he provided McGwire helped him become a more-accomplished home-run hitter.

"Will it help you hit a baseball?" Wenzlaff said. "Let me put it to you this way. If Paris Hilton was to take that array, she could run over Dick Butkus."

McGwire and the St. Louis Cardinals declined to respond to Wenzlaff's interview, which will be featured on Outside the Lines on Sunday (9 a.m. ET, ESPN).

The New York Daily News reported in March 2005 that Wenzlaff provided McGwire with the following drug recipe: ½ cc of testosterone cypionate every three days; one cc of testosterone enanthate per week; ¾ cc of equipoise and Winstrol V, every three days -- all to be injected into the buttocks.

At the time, Wenzlaff would only confirm that he provided steroids to McGwire's former Oakland teammate Jose Canseco. But on Thursday, Wenzlaff confirmed what had been reported and confirmed by FBI sources and documents nearly five years earlier -- that he supplied the drugs to Canseco and McGwire and he added that the drugs were to help McGwire become a better baseball player, not to recover from an injury.

When asked for his reaction to McGwire's claim that he only took steroids to stay healthy enough to play, Wenzlaff said: "I chuckled. If excelling and kicking ass on the field is the end result I guess that's a healthy, good feeling. But for health, there are other things you can take for health that are anabolic, but it wouldn't be that type of combination."

When asked about McGwire's goal for taking the array of steroids he recommended and provided to McGwire, Wenzlaff said, "As anybody -- bigger, faster, stronger."

He also said that he thinks the combination of drugs he provided for McGwire would help McGwire's hand-eye coordination.

"When you implement into what you are doing -- for instance hitting -- an individualized, specialized program with muscle growth and explosiveness ... while you're on your drugs, it will improve your hand-eye coordination."

Dr. Gary Wadler, head of the World Anti-Doping Agency committee that draws up the list of banned substances, told the Associated Press earlier this month: "There's such a huge body of evidence that there's no question -- none -- whether anabolic steroids enhance performance. Period."

Wenzlaff was arrested in Operation Equine, a landmark anabolic steroids case that resulted in more than 70 trafficking convictions in the early 1990s. One informant told the Daily News in 2005 that Wenzlaff injected McGwire at a gym in Southern California on several occasions, although Wenzlaff said he couldn't recall the injections because it was more than 20 years ago.[/color]