How bout dem cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: How bout dem cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
No, it doesn't matter WHO is in the SB. It never has in my lifetime, or in many people's liftimes. It's an event, not a sporting contest. If it mattered who was in the Super Bowl, it wouldn't be the juggernaut it has been since before you were even born, junior.

The NFL is looking at a market of 100 + million possible new fans which won't happen with a Colts' appearance but it sure will with Latin Americans and Mexicans all getting behind the little Mexican American kid from So Cal; they certainly aren't going to line up for the fetal alcohol inbred in the blue jersey.

The NFL can sell any bullshit but make no mistake, Roger Goodell is hoping to god the team from the media capital of the galaxy with the latino QB makes it and attracts tens upon tens of millions of new fans.

Before this year, the highest attended game was........in Mexico City. That record was broken in Dallas. What does Dallas have ? You know the answer.

Football seems to be very popular with the latino folks and it only stands to reason that if "one of their own" were to make it to the SB, well, the NFL will be smiling like a cat with a cream flavored arsehole.
Sure, the NFL is concerned about getting the hispanic demographic. But if they were as obsessed with it as you claim, they would already have a franchise back in LA. Obviously that's the biggest hispanic market in the US, by far. Furthermore, Sanchez is hispanic, but you certainly wouldn't know it by looking at him or talking to him. If his name weren't Sanchez, you'd have no idea. So I doubt hispanics are going to relate much to him.

The NFL's number one priority for the Superbowl is ratings. The Jets do not equal ratings. Yes, the Superbowl is going to get good ratings no matter who is playing, but that doesn't mean they don't want the match up that will yield the highest ratings. Having a big market team doesn't factor into that much. Last year's Superbowl was the highest rated of all time. It was between Arizona and Pittsburgh, neither of which are considered big market teams.
LOL

Sanchez doesn't look hispanic ?

Does he look Aryan to you or something ?

Also, are you aware of a place called USC ?

Again, it doesn't matter WHO is in the SB - it's automatic ratings.

And yes, if it means 2 million less CASUAL viewers (ie the people who watch the SB but could care less about the season itself) for the chance to net a nice chunk of 100 + million more fans who'll buy merch, tickets etc etc, who do you think they're going to bank on ?

P.S. Who exactly, prior to Sanchez, did the NFL have to sell to the latino community ? Luis Castillo ? Tony Gonzalez ? Martin Gramatica ? Being a Colts nutswinger, you should realize that QB is THE marquee position. Who was the last NFL caliber latino QB, especially of Mexican heritage, to come along and did he play in the media capital of the world, after helping to reinvigorate football fever in Southern Cal and energizing the latino community there ?

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
1. Casual fans fans won't be interested in the game ? Who the hell do you think makes up half the viewing audience of the SB ? "I watch it for the commercials" or "the commercials are better than the game" Either of those sound familiar ?

2. Manning isn't the biggest superstar in the league. He's arguably not even the biggest superstar remaining in the playoffs.

3. It doesn't matter who is in the SB. That's a given, and has been since before you were born. It's going to pull close to 100 million american viewers, and around 150 million, regardless. If the mexican kid on the new york team makes it, that will be sold sold sold and the ratings will skyrocket.

Regarding casual fans, you just made my point for me. A good part of the Superbowl viewing audience is composed of casual fans regardless of who's playing. But the NFL wants a match up that will keep those casual fans tuned in for the whole game, not just the first half. That's why it's key to have a good match up. Yes, the ratings will be high no matter what, but the ratings will be higher if there is a good match up on tv. If the Jets are playing the Vikings and the score is 6-3 at half time, I don't think that would bode well for the NFL.

Manning is the biggest superstar. Favre is still a big star, but no longer is he the Superstar that Manning is.

You are aware the Super Bowl ads sell for close to $3 million for 30 second spot, right ?

You are aware that the casual fans care more about the commercials than the game, right ?

You are aware that a large chunk of the near 100 viewers aren't even really watching the game, and have it on in the background as the entertainment for the alcohol soaked party they are having, right ?

In a day an age where the NFL is openly talking about foreign expansion, hence the London games, I find it hilarious that you think selling the Mexican American Qb to over 100 million potential fans is secondary to a game that is guaranteed to pull in almost 100 million viewers REGARDLESS of who is playing.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:Manning is the biggest superstar. Favre is still a big star, but no longer is he the Superstar that Manning is.
No, he's not. Maybe to Colts fans and people the Indiana region.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

thejuggernaut wrote:
poizond13 wrote:Manning is the biggest superstar. Favre is still a big star, but no longer is he the Superstar that Manning is.
True. Sorry P13. Manning isn't a marketable cat. Favre, Romo, and even Vick sell more jerseys than Manning. Outside of IN, Manning isn't a hot commercial property.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tymaster wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
True. Sorry P13. Manning isn't a marketable cat. Favre, Romo, and even Vick sell more jerseys than Manning. Outside of IN, Manning isn't a hot commercial property.
Brady is probably the biggest superstar.

Manning is a huge star, without a doubt, but outside of football circles.....

Brady turns down FAR more endorsements than he accepts.

Now, not that endorsements alone make one a superstar, but another good measure is this:

Women from all walks of life LOVE Tom Brady. They think he's a handsome man. You stick Tom Brady on a magazine and women are paying attention.

There aren't a lot of women, outside the Suidae and Bovine Americans who want to fuck Peyton Manning because they find him hot. What does that have to do with football ? Not a fucking thing. But it is a measure of superstardom, crossing over outside your vocation, and Tom Brady is mainstream, what with his magazines, fashion ads and supermodel banging and paparazzi dodging. Brady is very popular with a wide range of Utero Americans.

It's a lot like Derek Jeter - Derek Jeter gets the nod as the biggest superstar in part because of his abilities, but also because how many women love the guy even not knowing much at all about baseball.

Favre gets a nod, but only because a lot of it is self manufactured on account of the whole faking retirement nonsense for the better part of a decade.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Way to pick up where MOR left off Pee13......Just what the locker needed, another blindly obsessed cheerleader.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

thejuggernaut wrote:

Now, not that endorsements alone make one a superstar, but another good measure is this:

Women from all walks of life LOVE Tom Brady. They think he's a handsome man. You stick Tom Brady on a magazine and women are paying attention.

There aren't a lot of women, outside the Suidae and Bovine Americans who want to fuck Peyton Manning because they find him hot. What does that have to do with football ? Not a fucking thing. But it is a measure of superstardom, crossing over outside your vocation, and Tom Brady is mainstream, what with his magazines, fashion ads and supermodel banging and paparazzi dodging. Brady is very popular with a wide range of Utero Americans.

It's a lot like Derek Jeter - Derek Jeter gets the nod as the biggest superstar in part because of his abilities, but also because how many women love the guy even not knowing much at all about baseball.

Favre gets a nod, but only because a lot of it is self manufactured on account of the whole faking retirement nonsense for the better part of a decade.
So Brady is a bigger star because he's better looking.... lol, good argument. Brady, at one point, you could argue was more of a star than Peyton. But that time is over. After a missed season due to a blown knee, and a lackluster season this past year, his stardom is certainly waning. Peyton, meanwhile, just won his fourth MVP and is at the peak of his career. People recognize excellence. Also, Peyton has been on TV pretty much non stop for the past five years in the form of endorsements and ads.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Tymaster wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Not marketable? Are you serious? Well then, I guess he somehow duped the numerous corporations that he's done ads and endorsements for over the years into paying him millions and millions of dollars for his services. As for jersey sales, Peyton is still in the top 10. He's not a hot seller anymore because he's been on the same team for over a decade. Most people already own the jersey. Favre, Cutler, and Vick are popular because they just joined new teams and thus their jerseys are a hot commodity. Manning is still probably the most well-known name in the NFL.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

poizond13 wrote:Not marketable? Are you serious?
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

So Brady is a bigger star because he's better looking.... lol, good argument. Brady, at one point, you could argue was more of a star than Peyton. But that time is over. After a missed season due to a blown knee, and a lackluster season this past year, his stardom is certainly waning. Peyton, meanwhile, just won his fourth MVP and is at the peak of his career. People recognize excellence. Also, Peyton has been on TV pretty much non stop for the past five years in the form of endorsements and ads.
Brady has more crossover appeal to both the mainstream, and the female fan base. So, yeah, that's part of what makes a superstar. If more people know who you are, you're a bigger star. It's really very simple.

Being a superstar has little to do with on field accomplishments.

When mainstream celebrity magazines start relentlessly chasing Manning and his wife around trying to get inside information, please, let us all know so we can reevaluate the superstar thing.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

So I guess that means John Madden isn't a superstar anymore, what with him not having done his job in over 30 years.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:So I guess that means John Madden isn't a superstar anymore, what with him not having done his job in over 30 years.
You have a peculiar talent for taking discussions off to ridiculous tangents that have nothing to do with the original topic, and somehow suckering someone into arguing with you about that ridiculous tangent for 2 pages.

Nice work.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:So I guess that means John Madden isn't a superstar anymore, what with him not having done his job in over 30 years.
You have a peculiar talent for taking discussions off to ridiculous tangents that have nothing to do with the original topic, and somehow suckering someone into arguing with you about that ridiculous tangent for 2 pages.

Nice work.
Well, at least YOU'RE on topic.

I'd say the ridiculous tangent is fanboi13 suggesting the SB ratings will somehow suffer if the Jets play in it, in spite of 2 decades worth of history to suggest otherwise.

P.S. You'll notice it was not me who broached the subject of "the fix"
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

Nice work.
Well, at least YOU'RE on topic.

I'd say the ridiculous tangent is fanboi13 suggesting the SB ratings will somehow suffer if the Jets play in it, in spite of 2 decades worth of history to suggest otherwise.

P.S. You'll notice it was not me who broached the subject of "the fix"
That may be true, but I'm just complimenting you on your talent for nurturing these ridiculous battles. Sure you had help, but only you have the giant purple will to turn a discussion about steroids into one about the doping habits of rock stars, or a thread about how much the Cowboys suck into whatever the fuck you are arguing about now.

Since it seems you aren't going anywhere, I gotta ask...

What's with that GIF of a giant purple hulk smashing some fat guy? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote: That may be true, but I'm just complimenting you on your talent for nurturing these ridiculous battles. Sure you had help, but only you have the giant purple will to turn a discussion about steroids into one about the doping habits of rock stars, or a thread about how much the Cowboys suck into whatever the fuck you are arguing about now.

What's with that GIF of a giant purple hulk smashing some fat guy? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

It was a photoshop someone made. I want to say Satan, but, that's only because I can't remember and Satan is the man when it comes to photoshopping.

When Lickety was exposed as being a tub of shit, he had the audacity to attempt to criticize my physique which generated a good laugh, along with his "fitness advice" which I regularly had to correct.

Someone made a joke about photoshopping me into a purple hulk or something to that effect and before long, that image was posted.

Basically, the purple hulk is "me" and the tub of shit is Lickety.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote: That may be true, but I'm just complimenting you on your talent for nurturing these ridiculous battles. Sure you had help, but only you have the giant purple will to turn a discussion about steroids into one about the doping habits of rock stars, or a thread about how much the Cowboys suck into whatever the fuck you are arguing about now.

It was a photoshop someone made. I want to say Satan, but, that's only because I can't remember and Satan is the man when it comes to photoshopping.

When Lickety was exposed as being a tub of shit, he had the audacity to attempt to criticize my physique which generated a good laugh, along with his "fitness advice" which I regularly had to correct.

Someone made a joke about photoshopping me into a purple hulk or something to that effect and before long, that image was posted.

Ok we are getting somewhere...but it begs the question: Who is Lickety?

I'm guessing he isn't around anymore.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Ok we are getting somewhere...but it begs the question: Who is Lickety?

I'm guessing he isn't around anymore.

You know who Licketysplit is/was.

He's still around, just under a different name.

In fact, he' posted in this thread.

He's done a good job of keeping his "Licketyness" in check (ie toned done the over the top misogynistic comments) but he remains unable to keep his New England Homerity in check.

ETA - it all began here, passing himself off as an elite bodybuilder. He went on to say that the reason he chopped his face off pictures was because of endorsements.

Then it was discovered that the pics are pics of an actual pro, and DK found Lickety at a fat camp type of website.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52416&p=2321080#p2321080

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52416&p=2677431#p2677431
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

I think that we did give off the original topic, but the point Jug and I have been trying to convey to P13 is this: Peyton Manning is NOT the biggest superstar in the game. Great QB yes? Hall of Famer? No doubt. Superstar? Yes. Biggest star in the game? Not even close. Has nothing to do with his on field ability. But he's not a ladies man, not particularly charismatic, has an awful speaking voice, doesn't play flashy enough, and just sort of flies under the radar of the "stars" above him. Again, not a knock on the man or his QBing abilities, but to claim he is the "biggest superstar in the game" is silly. He's more like the NFL's Tim Duncan. Even when the Spurs were a mini Dynasty, Duncan may well have been the NBA's best player, but he was far from the biggest star. P13 doesn't seem to grasp this concept.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tymaster wrote:I think that we did give off the original topic, but the point Jug and I have been trying to convey to P13 is this: Peyton Manning is NOT the biggest superstar in the game. Great QB yes? Hall of Famer? No doubt. Superstar? Yes. Biggest star in the game? Not even close. Has nothing to do with his on field ability. But he's not a ladies man, not particularly charismatic, has an awful speaking voice, doesn't play flashy enough, and just sort of flies under the radar of the "stars" above him. Again, not a knock on the man or his QBing abilities, but to claim he is the "biggest superstar in the game" is silly. He's more like the NFL's Tim Duncan. Even when the Spurs were a mini Dynasty, Duncan may well have been the NBA's best player, but he was far from the biggest star. P13 doesn't seem to grasp this concept.
That's actually a pretty good comparison. No doubt Manning is freakishly good. And what makes it extra impressive is that they run unconventional offenses with conventional personnel, which makes him extra dangerous.

Alas, were are talking SUPERSTARDOM, something that transcends to game itself. Manning is a star within football circles. Brady is a star in and out of football circles.

If you asked 10 chicks outside of Indiana and Tennessee who Peyton Manning is, you'd get a lot of:

"he's the football guy, right?"

Some would say "quarterbacK" by default as that's the glamour position and is most non football chicks' first guess.

You'd be lucky if any could name his team.

Ask the same thing about Brady to non New Englanders and they can tell you he's a quarterback and several will be able to tell you the team.

P13 thinks looks have nothing to do with it. That's because he lives with his parents and has no concept about business expansion. Plus, there is no photographic evidence in these parts of him being seen with a girl.

Nobody has said (directly( that the NFL isn't interested in female fans. However, the following comment clearly indicates that P13 thinks the notion of wanting to sell the game to women is ridiculous.

poizond13 wrote:So Brady is a bigger star because he's better looking.... lol, good argument.

If that were true, then Brady and other players wouldn't be posing shirtless and making appearances on items targeted at women.

There's a reason Peyton manning does commercials with fake mustaches and ridiculous 70s hair, and does cookie commercials for kids - he's not a face you can sell to the ladies.

This is something designed to appeal to women >

This is not >

Of course, Brady's biggest problem the past few years is that he's fallen in love with being a celebrity.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

This concept goes way over P13's head. Being the "Best" doesn't mean the "biggest." He's far too young to remember the 80's. Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason had more endorsements/jersey sales than Joe Montano and Phil Simms. Which two won SuperBowls? Which two were considered "hunks?"
The thing is, you'd think a Poison fan would understand that in the materialistic country that the good ol' US of A has turned in, looks trump ability when it comes to "star power." Even in movies: DeNiro is a great actor, but never a huge box office draw.......
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Tymaster wrote:This concept goes way over P13's head. Being the "Best" doesn't mean the "biggest." He's far too young to remember the 80's. Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason had more endorsements/jersey sales than Joe Montano and Phil Simms...
Peyton Manning has gotten more endorsements and made more advertising revenue than any other current NFL player BY FAR. He's also had a top selling jersey for his entire career. So I have no idea where you're getting this logic from.

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tymaster wrote:This concept goes way over P13's head. Being the "Best" doesn't mean the "biggest." He's far too young to remember the 80's. Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason had more endorsements/jersey sales than Joe Montano and Phil Simms. Which two won SuperBowls? Which two were considered "hunks?"
The thing is, you'd think a Poison fan would understand that in the materialistic country that the good ol' US of A has turned in, looks trump ability when it comes to "star power." Even in movies: DeNiro is a great actor, but never a huge box office draw.......
Whereas Tom Cruise, Matthew MacConaughey.....
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

poizond13 wrote:
Tymaster wrote:This concept goes way over P13's head. Being the "Best" doesn't mean the "biggest." He's far too young to remember the 80's. Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason had more endorsements/jersey sales than Joe Montano and Phil Simms...
Peyton Manning has gotten more endorsements and made more advertising revenue than any other current NFL player BY FAR. He's also had a top selling jersey for his entire career. So I have no idea where you're getting this logic from.
Not true. If it is "true" prove it. I don't need to, because everyone but you know's that it is not true. By "current player" you forgot a guy named BRETT FAVRE. Perhaps this season Manning has piled up more than anyone by being a "nice guy," but that doesn't make him the NFL's biggest superstar, but you can't go on one season. It's a fickle market.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tymaster wrote:
poizond13 wrote:
Not true. If it is "true" prove it. I don't need to, because everyone but you know's that it is not true. By "current player" you forgot a guy named BRETT FAVRE. Perhaps this season Manning has piled up more than anyone by being a "nice guy," but that doesn't make him the NFL's biggest superstar, but you can't go on one season. It's a fickle market.

Peyton Manning isn't even in the top 10. The other Manning is.

Bad enough Cutler outsells Peyton Manning, Michael Vick does. MICHAEL VICK.

Tom Brady makes $3 million per year less than manning does in endorsements. And that's with Brady turning away far more than he accepts ie he won't put on goofy outfits and have a cookie eating contest for a few bucks. Not that he needs it; his supermodel wife is worth $150 million and their combined income for 2009 was $55 million.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Tymaster wrote:
poizond13 wrote:
The proof is right here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/s ... te50/2009/

Sports illiustrated's fortunate 50, a listing of the top 50 top earning athletes in the US including salary, endorsements, etc. Peyton Manning is listed as the top football player at number 10. His earnings consisted of $13 million in endorsements, more than any other football player. The next highest NFL player was Tom Brady at number 28. He only had $10 million in endorsements. Your excuse of Manning "maybe" being number one this year is a weak attempt at backpedaling. I stated Peyton earns the most endorsements in the NFL and I was dead right.

You guys might benefit from some research before doubting my statements and making bold statements of your own.

poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

thejuggernaut wrote: .

[/color][/size]
He also outsells Tom Brady. What's your point?

Jersey sales are based on a number of factors. Jersey design plays a part. The "newness" of the jersey plays a huge part, hence the reason that Cutler, Favre, and Vick are all hot sellers. The amount of "stardom" that a player possesses is only one factor.

poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

PS- Before anyone wants to say this year was just a fluke due to Peyton's "niceness" or whatever other excuse you want to use, pleae realize Peyton also earned the most endorsements in the NFL in 2008, 2007, 2006, and 2005. Can't get data any further back than that.

Guess that settles that question.

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
The proof is right here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/s ... te50/2009/

Sports illiustrated's fortunate 50, a listing of the top 50 top earning athletes in the US including salary, endorsements, etc. Peyton Manning is listed as the top football player at number 10. His earnings consisted of $13 million in endorsements, more than any other football player. The next highest NFL player was Tom Brady at number 28. He only had $10 million in endorsements. Your excuse of Manning "maybe" being number one this year is a weak attempt at backpedaling. I stated Peyton earns the most endorsements in the NFL and I was dead right.

You guys might benefit from some research before doubting my statements and making bold statements of your own.
You're aware that appearance fees and photoshoot fees aren't counted toward endorsements, right ?
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:PS- Before anyone wants to say this year was just a fluke due to Peyton's "niceness" or whatever other excuse you want to use, pleae realize Peyton also earned the most endorsements in the NFL in 2008, 2007, 2006, and 2005. Can't get data any further back than that.

Guess that settles that question.
So now you're turning the discussion away from superstardom to endorsements because you lost that one ?

Aren't you about ready to cry "troll" ?
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote: .

[/color][/size]
He also outsells Tom Brady. What's your point?

Jersey sales are based on a number of factors. Jersey design plays a part. The "newness" of the jersey plays a huge part, hence the reason that Cutler, Favre, and Vick are all hot sellers. The amount of "stardom" that a player possesses is only one factor.
Ahh, I see. That explains why Jerome Felton jerseys are flying off shelves.