Buffalo Bills announce Chan Gailey as new Head Coach

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Angry Jew
Appetite For Chinese Democracy
Location: Buffalo,NY (Lets go SABRES!)-Swinging on Axl's nuts waiting patiently for Chinese Democracy part 2

Buffalo Bills announce Chan Gailey as new Head Coach

Post by Angry Jew »

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/926904.html
Bills turn to Gailey as next head coach
by Mark Gaughan
News Sports Reporter
Updated: January 19, 2010, 3:15 PM / 240 comments

Chan Gailey is not the sexiest name in NFL coaching ranks. He wasn't on the hot lists of head-coaching candidates this year.

But his football teams have a long track record of winning. They also have a track record of gaining yards and scoring points.

The Bills' franchise is in desperate need of of those things: wins, yards and points. So the Bills have turned to Gailey as their next head coach.

Gailey, who just turned 58, has extensive experience as both a head coach and as an offensive coordinator.

He was head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1998 and '99 and directed Dallas to the playoffs both seasons. He was head coach at Georgia Tech from 2002 through 2007, compiling a record of 44-33.

The Associated Press reported that when Gailey was asked Tuesday at a press conference if he wondered if he'd ever get another chance to be an NFL head coach, he said, "If you sit there and say you lose confidence in yourself, no you don't. But then you see opportunities go by. And you hope that your body of work will speak for itself."

He fits a profile Bills General Manager Buddy Nix was seeking in that he has head-coaching experience, and he's an offensive-minded coach. The Bills' offense has ranked among the bottom eight in the NFL seven straight years.

"This guy met more of the criteria than I thought we could find," said Nix Tuesday, according to the Associated Press. "And this guy's won everywhere he's been. ... He'll get us back to winning and get to where we want to go."

The hiring comes after the Bills were rebuffed in their pursuit of some "A List" head-coaching candidates, including Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden. They also were turned down by the New York Jets' 36-year-old assistant Brian Schottenheimer and by Stanford head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Gailey, however, was on their initial list of candidates all along. It was presumed by some within the organization the team's braintrust was thinking of Gailey as an offensive coordinator candidate.

Gailey has 17 years of NFL experience and has been an offensive coordinator in Denver (1989-90), Pittsburgh (1996-97), Miami (2000-01) and Kansas City (2008). He also was his own offensive coordinator in Dallas.

The Bills' focus on Gailey means Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, who interviewed with the Bills 10 days ago, is not going to be the choice for the job, team and league sources said.

Gailey's previous NFL head-coaching gig was short lived. He turned around a Dallas team that went 6-10 in 1997 and led them to a 10-6 mark and a division title in 1998. The next season Dallas went 8-8 but earned a wild-card berth. Both seasons they lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Dallas owner Jerry Jones earlier this month lamented the firing of Gailey.

"The most unfair that I've ever been in anything in sports and maybe in other parts was dismissing Chan after two years," Jones said. "That wasn't right. . . . That is one thing I look at today in my mirror and say you just weren't as fair as you needed to be there to the team, the fans and certainly to Chan to make that change after two years."

Gailey interviewed for the Pittsburgh Steelers' head coaching job after Bill Cowher stepped down in 2007, and he was Cowher's choice as his successor. Pittsburgh instead hired Mike Tomlin.

Gailey has worked with some talented teams. He coached Hall-of-Fame quarterbacks John Elway (in Denver) and Troy Aikman (in Dallas). He also had a top in Pittsburgh, which won a division title each of his four seasons there.

He also has gotten fair to good production out of less talented offenses. He took over in Miami the year after Dan Marino retired and helped the Dolphins to two 11-win seasons. Miami ranked eighth in the NFL in scoring in 2001 with Jay Fiedler at quarterback.

The Chiefs' team was miserable in 2008, going 2-14, but Gailey got generally good reviews. Kansas City started that season as a power-running offense. But after running back Larry Johnson was suspended at midseason, Gailey changed the offensive plan 180 degrees, going to a spread offense, and the attack got better with quarterback Tyler Thigpen passing more often.

The Chiefs changed coaching staffs after the 2008 season and Gailey was retained. But he was fired as coordinator by new coach Todd Haley just two weeks before the start of the regular season. Haley, an offensive coach, apparently had philosophical differences with Gailey and decided he wanted to call the plays himself.

Gailey left the Dolphins in 2001 to take the Georgia Tech job. He took the school to bowl appearances each of his six seasons there. However, Georgia Tech also lost to rival Georgia six straight years under Gailey
Last edited by Angry Jew on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's Izzy?
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: Buffalo Bills to announce Chan Gailey as new Head Coach

Post by thejuggernaut »

And the ineptitude continues.
Angry Jew
Location: Buffalo,NY (Lets go SABRES!)-Swinging on Axl's nuts waiting patiently for Chinese Democracy part 2

Post by Angry Jew »

I didn't expect Cowher or Shanahan but this is just another yes man for Ralph Wilson. This guy might be worse than Dick Jauron.
Where's Izzy?
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Go Sabres?
VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Buffalo Bills announce Chan Gailey as new Head Coach

Post by VinnieKulick »

What the FUCK kind of name is Chan? Is he Chinese.
ImageImage
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

I heard this and laughed. Poor Bill's fans have a coach that's even worse than that poor man's Shanahan lookalike, Jauron.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Is this a set up so they fall so far from the top they'd be able to be taken over by the Canadian dollar?

And I don't want a team moving here to L.A., but now the Bills have moved to number 1 on the list of potential teams moving here I for sure don't want to see.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Garbageman wrote:Is this a set up so they fall so far from the top they'd be able to be taken over by the Canadian dollar?

And I don't want a team moving here to L.A., but now the Bills have moved to number 1 on the list of potential teams moving here I for sure don't want to see.
True. They are now number one on the list of teams in serious danger of losing their local fanbase and taking off for LA.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

The Rooney Rule

The Rooney Rule
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Machado wrote:The Rooney Rule

The Rooney Rule

Everyone they interviewed said "NO!" We'll never know how many people said "NO!"
LOL.
Organizations like this one and Oakland remind my fellow Browns backers that it could always be worse :mrgreen:
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

I can't really say this is a great hire, but it's not like the Bills had their choice of many top candidates. This wasn't exactly a highly sought after position. Having said that, they did supposedly have the opportunity to hire Leslie Frazier, which to me would've been a smarter move. They probably could've even brought in Gailey as the offensive coordinator, and they would have had the best of both worlds.

And even IF Cowher would've taken the job, he is not worth anywhere near the $10 Million dollars a year that he demanded. That would have been the worst move of all.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

poizond13 wrote:I can't really say this is a great hire, but it's not like the Bills had their choice of many top candidates. This wasn't exactly a highly sought after position. Having said that, they did supposedly have the opportunity to hire Leslie Frazier, which to me would've been a smarter move. They probably could've even brought in Gailey as the offensive coordinator, and they would have had the best of both worlds.

And even IF Cowher would've taken the job, he is not worth anywhere near the $10 Million dollars a year that he demanded. That would have been the worst move of all.

The reason they have such trouble getting coaches is the stability issue. Plain and simple. As long as Ralph is alive, they are staying in Buffalo. But, he just turned 91. As loyal as those fans are, there is a a real worry that the team will leave town for more $$$$$$$$$$. Toronto is likely b/c the NFL wants to be in Canada. However, I don't think they even sold the last Toronto game out. So does Toronto really want the Bills? LA will take any team. At any rate, there is serious speculation that the Bills are a lame duck team. Or rather that Buffalo is a lame duck NFL city. No one wants to coach under those circumstances. Ask Bill Belichick how much fun it was coaching the Browns for two months knowing the team was headed to Baltimore...... I was there in the stands for some of those games. A combination of sadness and anger, and the players and coaches were caught in the crosshairs while Art Modell hid.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Tymaster wrote:LA will take any team.
No we won't.

All your other points were good though. And when Wilson dies, his family is likely to cash out at the first opportunity.

And Cowher can afford to pick where he wants to go unless he really gets the itch to coach. Odds are next year a more ideal place like Carolina (where he loves it and had kids in college) or Houston may open and he could arrive in a nice stable environment that will give him both control and anything he wants. Or he could stay at CBS.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
NunoFreak
Population 1

Post by NunoFreak »

I hate this hire. I hope the Bills get Michael Vick next season to keep me interested as the losing continues...

:roll:
Angry Jew

Post by Angry Jew »

NunoFreak wrote:I hate this hire. I hope the Bills get Michael Vick next season to keep me interested as the losing continues...

:roll:
Shotty Sr. actually wanted the job. Now we see why Shotty Jr. didn't even wanna talk to the Bills.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -bills-gig
Ralph knows the stadium will sell out anyway next year but maybe they will sign Vick just to quiet the fans down.
Where's Izzy?
crabfan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by crabfan »

How's that for motivation to saty in Buffalo T.O.? I think it's your turn to go to Oakland...maybe have Mike Leach be your coach there...