Superbowl thread! Your pick, your plans, your menu!!!

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Superbowl thread! Your pick, your plans, your menu!!!

Post by Tymaster »

The Saints had a game given to them last night. Although they did rough Favre up considerably! I just don't see that happening against the Colts. Although for a while, the Jets had the Colts reeling. So, ya know, anything is possible. I'm taken Indy. They are like the Spurs of the late 90's early 2000's. Boring too watch, but very fundamentally sound, and usually winning.

Menu:
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Gumbo
Brats

Can't really get into the brew too heavily, because Sunday is a work night! Darn! But, that's all the more reason to buy a really expensive, high quality sixer. It'll be a game day decision!
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
AcillateM
Drunken Beaner

Re: Superbowl thread! Your pick, your plans, your menu!!!

Post by AcillateM »

I agree with what you said,dead on!

As for the menu,it's looking like Fajita with some pico-de-gallo and some hot wings,chicken,beans and rice.I start my vacation that wknd so it is fucking ON with the beers!!!
Landshark2000 wrote:
Mexicans don't swoon. They go "¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa¡ ¡Epa! ¡Epa! Yeehaw!"
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

Its a tough game to call but Im going with the Saints. As long as the Saints can keep Manning under control I think theyll have the game. At the start of the season I correctly predicted the Colts and the Saints in the Super Bowl with the Saints winning so hopefully I can go for the full sweep. As for menu, its wings, ribs and beer. You can't have a Super Bowl Party without some buffalo wings
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

Without that 1 minute drive by Manning for TD with 2:00 left in the 1st half, the Jets would have won that game. The Colts looked worried on the sideline during most of the 2nd quarter. That TD gave the Colts life again and it rattled the Jets defense.

I don't think the Saints have a chance. The Colts played their toughest game of the playoffs last night. Manning took apart the #1 defense in football after being down 17-6. I think the Colts put up atleast 40 points against the Saints.

It's going to be a boring superbowl.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Manning's stats against Gregg Williams led defenses:
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The Saints can win this. They just need to get after Manning. Manning rarely gets roughed up, but when he does he loses his composure pretty quickly. The Saints should do to Manning what they did to Favre and hit him hard, early, and often even if it means they take a few roughing penalties. Jam the receivers at the line to slow their routes and pound Manning mercilessly. Once Gomer comes unglued it's game over.

I'll say Saints 35-24

As for the menu, nothing fancy, just some loaded nachos with extra jalapenos and subs at half-time.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

SkyDog112046 wrote:The Saints can win this. They just need to get after Manning. Manning rarely gets roughed up, but when he does he loses his composure pretty quickly. The Saints should do to Manning what they did to Favre and hit him hard, early, and often even if it means they take a few roughing penalties. Jam the receivers at the line to slow their routes and pound Manning mercilessly. Once Gomer comes unglued it's game over.

I'll say Saints 35-24

As for the menu, nothing fancy, just some loaded nachos with extra jalapenos and subs at half-time.
So basically, you're saying the Aints only chance is to play dirty? Well, I agree with you that would probably be their only chance, but after what the Aints did to Favre yesterday, the refs will be watching closely to ensure that Peyton Manning is protected. Furthermore, the Jets blitzed mercilessly and could not get to Manning after the first two possessions of the game. What makes you think the Aints will be more successful?
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

poizond13 wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:The Saints can win this. They just need to get after Manning. Manning rarely gets roughed up, but when he does he loses his composure pretty quickly. The Saints should do to Manning what they did to Favre and hit him hard, early, and often even if it means they take a few roughing penalties. Jam the receivers at the line to slow their routes and pound Manning mercilessly. Once Gomer comes unglued it's game over.

I'll say Saints 35-24

So basically, you're saying the Aints only chance is to play dirty? Well, I agree with you that would probably be their only chance, but after what the Aints did to Favre yesterday, the refs will be watching closely to ensure that Peyton Manning is protected. Furthermore, the Jets blitzed mercilessly and could not get to Manning after the first two possessions of the game. What makes you think the Aints will be more successful?
Jamming receivers at the line and hitting the quarterback is not dirty. With the way refs coddle QBs these days(especially Polian's precious little Peyton), pass rushers can't be afraid of getting flagged for clean, hard hits or they will hesitate and not make a play. I'd tell them to go after him and hit him clean and hard and don't get upset if an overprotective ref throws a flag. That's not dirty, it's football.

And they aren't the "Ain'ts" anymore now that they've made the Superbowl. And come game time I'm willing to bet that somewhere around 90% of the people watching are routing for New Orleans.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

I agree that the Saints can pull this off with those whacky blitz schemes. Manning is far from mobile, so if they get to him the way they did Warner and Favre, they can pull the upset. One major weakness of the Colts is never bothering to get Manning a quality back-up. The Saints knocked Warner out of the game, Favre should've been out of the game last night.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

If they can get to Manning like they did Favre, the Saints have a decent shot. That's a big if though. Manning doesn't hold the ball like Favre does. I'll be rooting Saints, but I think the Colts take it. As to menu, I think I'm gonna smoke a brisket and have a few friends over for a pot luck kind of thing.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Menu update. Someone mentioned subs. I will be making my own giant submarine. By the time I leave the bakery and deli I will have enough sandwich materials to feed an army, and it will make that crap at SubWay, Penn Station, et al, seem like the crap it is......
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

bane wrote:As to menu, I think I'm gonna smoke a brisket and have a few friends over for a pot luck kind of thing.
Strange, bane. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. You can just mail me the brisket and I'll call it even.

I'd guess that the Colts will win, but by saying that, I'm all but guaranteeing victory for the Saints.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Tymaster wrote:I agree that the Saints can pull this off with those whacky blitz schemes. Manning is far from mobile, so if they get to him the way they did Warner and Favre, they can pull the upset. One major weakness of the Colts is never bothering to get Manning a quality back-up. The Saints knocked Warner out of the game, Favre should've been out of the game last night.
How many teams have tried to get pressure on Manning this year and failed? How many have succeeded? None of them have. You saw what happened yesterday when the Jets were blitzing all out. They sacked Peyton twice on the first two possessions. After that, Peyton adjusted to what they were doing, and he picked them apart the rest of the game. After a while the Jets were getting burned so bad that they had to drop more people into coverage, and even that didn't work. I said all along that Peyton would light up the so called best defense in the league, and I was right. I see no reason why the Saints would fare any better. Whatever it is that the Saints choose to do, whether it be blitzing or dropping back in coverage, Peyton will find a way to beat it. There's no way around that. The Saints ONLY hope in this game is to score a LOT of points. And I don't see that happening against a Colts defense that was built from day one to not allow big plays and limit the passing game. In fact, the Colts have allowed the fewest plays of 20+ yards in the league. The Saints rank 19th in that category.

TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

SkyDog112046 wrote: Jamming receivers at the line and hitting the quarterback is not dirty. With the way refs coddle QBs these days(especially Polian's precious little Peyton), pass rushers can't be afraid of getting flagged for clean, hard hits or they will hesitate and not make a play. I'd tell them to go after him and hit him clean and hard and don't get upset if an overprotective ref throws a flag. That's not dirty, it's football.
You failed to mention Tom Brady in your post. He throws a shitfit every time someone looks at him funny! He DEFINITELY should be wearing a skirt.

Back on topic, I'm kind of having a hard time with this. I want the Saints to win, but it won't break my heart if the Colts win, because of Pierre Garcon. He went to high school (John I. Leonard) right down the street from me, so he's a bit of a local hero around these parts. The Saints and Garcon are two great stories. Munchies...don't know yet. Probably order some wings, get some shrimp, and other munchables. Probably be just me and the Mr. hanging out, really haven't made any plans yet.
Fuck sigs.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote: Jamming receivers at the line and hitting the quarterback is not dirty. With the way refs coddle QBs these days(especially Polian's precious little Peyton), pass rushers can't be afraid of getting flagged for clean, hard hits or they will hesitate and not make a play. I'd tell them to go after him and hit him clean and hard and don't get upset if an overprotective ref throws a flag. That's not dirty, it's football.
You failed to mention Tom Brady in your post. He throws a shitfit every time someone looks at him funny! He DEFINITELY should be wearing a skirt.

Back on topic, I'm kind of having a hard time with this. I want the Saints to win, but it won't break my heart if the Colts win, because of Pierre Garcon. He went to high school (John I. Leonard) right down the street from me, so he's a bit of a local hero around these parts. The Saints and Garcon are two great stories. Munchies...don't know yet. Probably order some wings, get some shrimp, and other munchables. Probably be just me and the Mr. hanging out, really haven't made any plans yet.
I don't make it a huge party or anything since I have that whole career thing LOL. Sunday's aren't for partying. Family and friends and an excuse to eat, laugh at commercials, and hope for a good game. That's all I am asking for. Now, if the Browns ever get to the SuperBowl, I will take the entire week off! Don't know if I'd travel to the host city, or just spend the game with Browns fans in the city of Cleveland. This isn't a decision I am worried about having to make for quite while though. Actually, I think the whole state of Ohio would be pardoned from work the following Monday if the Browns made the SuperBowl and actually won it.......last title was in 1964...................
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

I think it's funny that internet idiots keep saying "The Saints were given the game!!!"

That's bullshit - it may be a 20-something ranked defense, but it's good at creating turnovers, and it seems to get it done in the big situations.

Last week the saints "played a team with no defense" and this week they got "a gift."

I wonder what they'll say when they beat Indy.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

nycyankee wrote:Without that 1 minute drive by Manning for TD with 2:00 left in the 1st half, the Jets would have won that game. l.
And if my grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon, what's your point?

I remember a friend arguing that the Raiders lost a game once "only because the bills scored 30 unanswered points!"

Uhh ok.

I file your comment with his.
HMJ
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by HMJ »

Flying from Los Angeles to New Orleans to go work a bartending shift at my old bar on Super Bowl Sunday. I'll probably rake in 300-400 dollars in a few hours, then when the Saints win....huge fucking party on Bourbon Street. Bang bang.

Of course if they lose, I'll still be fucking smashed hammered and a few hundred richer. Ha, then back to L.A. on Monday night.
"FUN'S OVER."
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

poizond13 wrote:

I'll say Saints 35-24

Why call them the Aints?
Sure, it is an old nickname, but they've been a solid team for a few years now, and a great team this year. Why lower yourself by disrespecting what is a very good team? It only makes you look petty/childish.

Using the name repeatedly like it's somehow clever or creative is kinda weak too.
Last edited by demolition23 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

As for my pick... Colts.

I just think that they're a little more consistent, and if Addai can run like that again, they lack a major weakness.

However, the Saints are no chumps. On his day, Brees can go toe to toe with Manning in a shoot-out, and all this stuff about them being 'given' the game is bs. They're a turnover focussed D that got a lot of turnovers, and that won them the game. Not so much luck as good management.

But still, the Colts seems like the sensible bet. I like both teams though, so while I'd rather the Saints win because I love what Brees and Payton have done there, I'd be cool with a Colts win. I just hope it's a good game.

Superbowl is on Monday here, and I have that week off work. I'll be back home with a couple of mates at a big sports bar with a cinema sized screen, eating and drinking from 11 am.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

If the Saints hit Peyton like they did Bert it will be a game but I doubt that will happen. The Colts line is as solid as they come. I'm rooting for the Saints but guessing it's the Colts +13.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

I tend to root for the underdog. For example, even though I'm a Steelers fan, a tiny part of me was hoping that Kurt Warner and the Cards would pull a NY Giants vs. NE Patriots type of upset in last years Super Bowl. Having said that, I know I could be tried for blasphemy by the Steeler Nation.

If the Saints won, it would be a rags-to-riches Cinderella story...but I think that the Colts have what it takes to beat them.

Indianapolis Colts 42
New Orleans Saints 28

Manning throws 3 TDs.
Brees throws 2 TDs.
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

HMJ wrote:Flying from Los Angeles to New Orleans to go work a bartending shift at my old bar on Super Bowl Sunday. I'll probably rake in 300-400 dollars in a few hours, then when the Saints win....huge fucking party on Bourbon Street. Bang bang.

Of course if they lose, I'll still be fucking smashed hammered and a few hundred richer. Ha, then back to L.A. on Monday night.
You want someone to be impressed, don't you ?
HMJ wrote:FUCKING SAINTS.

They win and I go to New Orleans for SB weekend, I get a bartending shift at my old bar for the game, I make $300 in 2 hours...then IF the Saints the big game...fuck man, that party is going to be insane.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Manning figured out the Jets defense, he'll probably solve the Saints.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

Colts will win 28-27

2 similar teams with good QB's, lot of weapons, and underrated defenses
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

The Saints couldn't stop the Viking from moving up & down the field, so I don't see them stopping Manning. The Colts haven't face an offense in the playoffs like the Saints. In the end, Manning is just too good and I think the Colts take it.

I don't know what's on the menu, but there will be plenty of beer.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

demolition23 wrote:
poizond13 wrote:

I'll say Saints 35-24

Why call them the Aints?
Sure, it is an old nickname, but they've been a solid team for a few years now, and a great team this year. Why lower yourself by disrespecting what is a very good team? It only makes you look petty/childish.

Using the name repeatedly like it's somehow clever or creative is kinda weak too.
Yeah, why don't we call the Colts, the Dolts! Hyuk hyuk hyuk, I'm soooo clever!
Fuck sigs.
HMJ
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by HMJ »

thejuggernaut wrote:
HMJ wrote:Flying from Los Angeles to New Orleans to go work a bartending shift at my old bar on Super Bowl Sunday. I'll probably rake in 300-400 dollars in a few hours, then when the Saints win....huge fucking party on Bourbon Street. Bang bang.

You want someone to be impressed, don't you ?
HMJ wrote:FUCKING SAINTS.

They win and I go to New Orleans for SB weekend, I get a bartending shift at my old bar for the game, I make $300 in 2 hours...then IF the Saints the big game...fuck man, that party is going to be insane.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"FUN'S OVER."
Alabama Slammer
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Alabama Slammer »

Despite the fact that I'm a life long Saints fan, despite the fact that nothing would be better than having my two teams win the BCS National Championship and the Super Bowl in the same year, and despite the fact that nothing would be more awesome than sitting back and watching Pee13 get skewered here for all his bullshit trash talk after a Saints victory, my gut feeling is that New Orleans' defense doesn't have the ability to shut the Colts down. You blitz Manning and he hits the open man, you play coverage and he makes a perfect throw. That being said, if New Orleans plays to the level that they are capable of, and if they can get pressure up the middle without blitzing, then it's going to be a long day for Archie's boy.
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

Post by TravisBickelsMohawk »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Win or lose, I'm just happy the Saints are there. 8)

Will do much celebrating on Super Bowl Sunday regardless of the outcome.
Animals die to keep your fat ass alive.