Weight loss

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

RichHolt
Headlining Clubs

Weight loss

Post by RichHolt »

OK, this question is made for the locker room:

I've lost a stone in 4 weeks... is that good? I am starting to balance out my diet now so i don't go anorexic, cos that wud suck.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Re: Weight loss

Post by thejuggernaut »

RichHoltGuitar wrote:OK, this question is made for the locker room:

I've lost a stone in 4 weeks... is that good? I am starting to balance out my diet now so i don't go anorexic, cos that wud suck.
We'll need a lot more info than that.

1 stone from how many, for starters.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

I was about 225lbs on Thanksgiving 2007. A year and a half later I was 150. Now I'm 155-160, something like that.

My whole thing w/ this, and I'm no doctor, is that I feel way better. I smoke like a chimney yet when I play sports now I don't huff and puff like I used to. I'm my proper weight and I feel great.

a stone is 14lbs, right?

As a guy I don't think cutting that much in 4 weeks is so bad.

BTW, high fructose corn syrup is the fucking culprit here. Not saying to cut it out entirely, I have a reg soda here and there, but I think crack is better in moderation than that shit.
HMJ
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by HMJ »

Tommy wrote:I was about 225lbs on Thanksgiving 2007. A year and a half later I was 150. Now I'm 155-160, something like that.

My whole thing w/ this, and I'm no doctor, is that I feel way better. I smoke like a chimney yet when I play sports now I don't huff and puff like I used to. I'm my proper weight and I feel great.

a stone is 14lbs, right?

As a guy I don't think cutting that much in 4 weeks is so bad.

BTW, high fructose corn syrup is the fucking culprit here. Not saying to cut it out entirely, I have a reg soda here and there, but I think crack is better in moderation than that shit.
I agree. I cut out HFCS and lost 20lbs. I'm already a big fitness guy, so I didn't have THAT much to lose. Still, cutting out that stuff (all I drink now is water and coffee) was a huge step.
"FUN'S OVER."
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

HMJ wrote:. I'm already a big fitness guy, so I didn't have THAT much to lose. Still, cutting out that stuff (all I drink now is water and coffee) was a huge step.
HMJ wrote:Flying from Los Angeles to New Orleans to go work a bartending shift at my old bar on Super Bowl Sunday. I'll probably rake in 300-400 dollars in a few hours, then when the Saints win....huge fucking party on Bourbon Street. Bang bang.

Of course if they lose, I'll still be fucking smashed hammered and a few hundred richer. Ha, then back to L.A. on Monday night.
HMJ

Post by HMJ »

thejuggernaut wrote:
HMJ wrote:. I'm already a big fitness guy, so I didn't have THAT much to lose. Still, cutting out that stuff (all I drink now is water and coffee) was a huge step.
HMJ wrote:Flying from Los Angeles to New Orleans to go work a bartending shift at my old bar on Super Bowl Sunday. I'll probably rake in 300-400 dollars in a few hours, then when the Saints win....huge fucking party on Bourbon Street. Bang bang.

Of course if they lose, I'll still be fucking smashed hammered and a few hundred richer. Ha, then back to L.A. on Monday night.
So I can't drink alcohol the one time the Saints are in the Super Bowl and the whole city turns into a party? That's against the law. 1 day of drunk partying negates me from saying "all i drink is water and coffee" when in fact...that is all I drink day to day.

But thanks for keeping score.
"FUN'S OVER."
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

HMJ wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

So I can't drink alcohol the one time the Saints are in the Super Bowl and the whole city turns into a party? That's against the law. 1 day of drunk partying negates me from saying "all i drink is water and coffee" when in fact...that is all I drink day to day.

But thanks for keeping score.
Then you're not a "big fitness guy".
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

thejuggernaut wrote:Then you're not a "big fitness guy".
I don't get this. He said he's into fitness, he plans on getting fucked up the Superbowl. What's the issue?
HMJ

Post by HMJ »

killeverything wrote:
I don't get this. He said he's into fitness, he plans on getting fucked up the Superbowl. What's the issue?
Your guess is as good as mine.
"FUN'S OVER."
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

killeverything wrote:
No, he did not say he's "into fitness" He said he's a "big fitness guy". There's a WORLD of difference.

Someone who is "into fitness" would be someone who plays pickup basketball once or twice a week, maybe a game of football or ball hockey thrown in. Something along those lines. Someone who is a "big fitness guy" lives and breathes it every day.

There is no issue with him getting fucked up.

He can fill his boots.

But he shouldn't be passing himself off as a "big fitness guy" because "big fitness guys" don't get fucked up. It's really not that hard to figure out.

On top of that, he creates the impression that is weight loss was fairly recent.

"I agree. I cut out HFCS and lost 20lbs. I'm already a big fitness guy, so I didn't have THAT much to lose. Still, cutting out that stuff (all I drink now is water and coffee) was a huge step."

Someone who was "already a big fitness guy" only recently found out about HFCS ?

Admittedly, hfcs isn't found only in pop, as it also used in what is supposed to be "good food" for a person.

However, his wording gives the impression he drank pop (or something very similar) for a long time, until he cut it out.

Someone who was "already a big fitness guy" shouldn't have 20 pounds to lose, especially in what appears to be a rapid fashion, by cutting out HFCS.

"I agree. I cut out HFCS and lost 20lbs. I'm already a big fitness guy, so I didn't have THAT much to lose. Still, cutting out that stuff (all I drink now is water and coffee) was a huge step."

Let's break the statement down:

I cut out HFCS and lost 20lbs. I'm already a big fitness guy, so I didn't have THAT much to lose. - what ? 20 pounds isn't a lot? Since when ? That's a pretty high percentage of poundage to lose. And you had 20 extra pounds of shit because of your diet ? And you're calling yourself a "fitness guy" ? Unless you're a competitive body builder intentionally bulking up in the off season to add mass, before cutting it down, 20 pounds is a lot.

Still, cutting out that stuff (all I drink now is water and coffee) was a huge step. - I won't into get into asking how much coffee he drinks in a day. This suggests he consumed soft drinks on a fairly regular basis. Not the hallmark of a "big fitness guy".

Now, to a person, I could care less if he drinks donkey blood. His business.

However, this fella went out of his way, more than once, to brag to the board how he's going to make $3-4 hundred SB night, as though that's a giant sum of cash.

Add that to his "I am a fitness guy and didn't have much to lose but I lost 20 pounds because I stopped eating garbage" and there is a certain amount of reality detachment apparent.

Even still, who cares, at the end of the day.

My issue with his declarations stems from the fact that there are people who are absolutely clueless about that kind of thing, and here is this guy passing himself off as a big fitness guy when he most certainly is NOT.

There are people clueless enough about health and fitness to be impressed by a shit trimming weight loss of 20 pounds. They usually are so down on themselves and in desperate need of a quick fix that they'd think the 20 pound weight loss was an impressive feat.

Kudos to the guy for cutting out the shit and dropping the mess, but good god, it has NOTHING to do with fitness.

Remember the last guy around these parts who passed himself off as a fitness guy who seemed to have a detachment from reality (Pulte Powerhouse ring a bell?) ?

I'm not suggesting this guy is the second coming of Lickety, but a fitness guy he is not.

Kudos for the pounds dropped and I have no doubt he likes fitness now but you can't say "I'm already a big fitness guy" while admitting you dropped 20 pounds because you were eating horseshit.

RichHolt
Headlining Clubs

Post by RichHolt »

OK in case anyone asks, i lost the weight from around 14 stone/almost 200 pounds, and i am 6ft2.

So yeah to lose a stone is a good start, but i drink tonnes of Pepsi so i will cut down and see what difference that makes, also cut down on Monster energy and general fizzy drinks.

Plus, i have always found push-ups, sit-ups and jogging relatively easy despite how they never used to pay off (probly due to how much i ate), but my new routine is as follows:

Monday - Wake up 6am, 25 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, run 1.5 miles in evening

Tuesday - Wake up 6am, 25 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, run 1.5 miles in evening

Wednesday - Wake up 6am, 35 push-ups, 60 sit-ups, run 2 miles in evening

Thursday - Wake up 6am, 35 push-ups, 60 sit-ups, run 2 miles in evening

Friday - Run 2.5 miles in evening

Saturday - Wake up 8am, 35 push-ups, 60 sit-ups

Sunday - Rest

If anyone has any advice on how i can change this, then please comment. Also, it's not the weight i wanna lose, cos i am happy to weigh a bit due to muscle, but i do want to lose bodyfat.
Not trying to be a bodybuilder, but every girl likes a man who's in good shape, so i may as well do sumthin about it.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

RichHoltGuitar wrote:OK in case anyone asks, i lost the weight from around 14 stone/almost 200 pounds, and i am 6ft2.

So yeah to lose a stone is a good start, but i drink tonnes of Pepsi so i will cut down and see what difference that makes, also cut down on Monster energy and general fizzy drinks.

Plus, i have always found push-ups, sit-ups and jogging relatively easy despite how they never used to pay off (probly due to how much i ate), but my new routine is as follows:

Sunday - Rest

If anyone has any advice on how i can change this, then please comment. Also, it's not the weight i wanna lose, cos i am happy to weigh a bit due to muscle, but i do want to lose bodyfat.
Not trying to be a bodybuilder, but every girl likes a man who's in good shape, so i may as well do sumthin about it.
You don't have to do much at all to get some decent results.

You don't even have to add to the routine, although I'd suggest increasing your pushup and situp totals.

With your pushups, add to the total doing the conventional method. Also add in decline pushups and close grip pushups.

When you get strong enough, add in some handstand pushups. Just make sure you have a wall to lean against.

Do your jogging first thing in the am.

Don't cut down the pop - cut it out totally.

Also, cut out the energy drinks. They have a shocking amount of B Vitamins and other "goodies" but they are way too loaded with caffeine - you're fucking with your adrenal glands.

It's my understanding you are just a kid, like 14 or so. Don't fuck with your endocrine system too much. You are just entering your peak of hormonal activity. Don't go pro body builder style yet, but really start working out and your body will transform amazingly over the next 6-8 years.

You should do squats at least once per week. Not purple face inducing squats, but heavy enough to require some strain and limit how many you can do.

Also, plyometrics are STILL a kickass way of getting in shape. Plyometrics will transform your body in a way, at this age, that will produce amazing results down the road when you reach your 20s and the hormone overload slows down and it's time to start lifting heavier and working out more intensely.

In other words, plyometrics now will have immediate and effective short term results, but also lay a great foundation for when you stop growing hormonally.
RichHolt
Headlining Clubs

Post by RichHolt »

thejuggernaut wrote:
RichHoltGuitar wrote:OK in case anyone asks, i lost the weight from around 14 stone/almost 200 pounds, and i am 6ft2.

Sunday - Rest

You don't have to do much at all to get some decent results.

You don't even have to add to the routine, although I'd suggest increasing your pushup and situp totals.

With your pushups, add to the total doing the conventional method. Also add in decline pushups and close grip pushups.

When you get strong enough, add in some handstand pushups. Just make sure you have a wall to lean against.

Do your jogging first thing in the am.

Don't cut down the pop - cut it out totally.

Also, cut out the energy drinks. They have a shocking amount of B Vitamins and other "goodies" but they are way too loaded with caffeine - you're fucking with your adrenal glands.

It's my understanding you are just a kid, like 14 or so. Don't fuck with your endocrine system too much. You are just entering your peak of hormonal activity. Don't go pro body builder style yet, but really start working out and your body will transform amazingly over the next 6-8 years.

You should do squats at least once per week. Not purple face inducing squats, but heavy enough to require some strain and limit how many you can do.

Also, plyometrics are STILL a kickass way of getting in shape. Plyometrics will transform your body in a way, at this age, that will produce amazing results down the road when you reach your 20s and the hormone overload slows down and it's time to start lifting heavier and working out more intensely.

In other words, plyometrics now will have immediate and effective short term results, but also lay a great foundation for when you stop growing hormonally.
cool. thanks man. as from today i am keeping the fuck away from Cola, Pepsi and all that, and while i may still have 1 or 2 cans of Monster every now n' again, i won't drink it weekly like i do now.

i never heard of plyometrics but by the time you read this, i will have googled em so thanks.
BD888
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BD888 »

How does caffeine affect the endocrine system? I could google this, but I am sure you can give me a concise answer.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

BD888 wrote:How does caffeine affect the endocrine system? I could google this, but I am sure you can give me a concise answer.

Caffeine abuse fucks with your adrenal glands.

Adrenal glands are part of your endocrine system.

The knee bone's connected to the......

HMJ

Post by HMJ »

Good christ Juggernaut you're as much fun as a wet paper bag.

I like to go out and drink. Who fucking cares. I watch what I eat like a madman and run 5 miles daily. It's called yin and yang. If I want to have a good time, I know I have to earn it.

And yeah a few hundred bucks in a few hours is a lot to me. Especially when I get to do it drinking, watching a football game, and hanging out with old friends.
"FUN'S OVER."
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

HMJ wrote:Good christ Juggernaut you're as much fun as a wet paper bag.

I like to go out and drink. Who fucking cares. I watch what I eat like a madman and run 5 miles daily. It's called yin and yang. If I want to have a good time, I know I have to earn it.

And yeah a few hundred bucks in a few hours is a lot to me. Especially when I get to do it drinking, watching a football game, and hanging out with old friends.
Nobody said you're not allowed to have fun.

I questioned your "big fitness guy" claim.

If you had 20 pounds you were able to lose simply by removing something from your diet, then you weren't in very good shape to begin with, ergo you weren't a "big fitness guy"
HMJ

Post by HMJ »

thejuggernaut wrote:

If you had 20 pounds you were able to lose simply by removing something from your diet, then you weren't in very good shape to begin with, ergo you weren't a "big fitness guy"
Yeah I had bad shit in my diet, but I've always been in a gym and running 6 days a week. My personal bad eating habits never hampered that, but it was only a couple months ago I overhauled my diet. I started working a desk job so I thought I need to balance this out with more activity and a better diet.

Now I'm 6'0...I was 200lbs last summer and now I'm down to 180. Not only did I cut out all products with HFCS, I cut out white bread and all sweet or diet drinks. Clearly my exercise routine I have maintained since I was in high school wasn't enough to balance that shit. The biggest thing was moving to only drinking water. I think that did most of it.
"FUN'S OVER."
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

HMJ wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Yeah I had bad shit in my diet, but I've always been in a gym and running 6 days a week. My personal bad eating habits never hampered that, but it was only a couple months ago I overhauled my diet. I started working a desk job so I thought I need to balance this out with more activity and a better diet.

Now I'm 6'0...I was 200lbs last summer and now I'm down to 180. Not only did I cut out all products with HFCS, I cut out white bread and all sweet or diet drinks. Clearly my exercise routine I have maintained since I was in high school wasn't enough to balance that shit. The biggest thing was moving to only drinking water. I think that did most of it.

First off, kudos on the change and the progress.

That being said, that's why I doubted your claim - "big fitness guys" don't have shit diets.

However, it sounds like if you hadn't put the time in, you'd be a 300 pound pig, so credit to that.

P.S. cut out all things white, not just bread.

:)