Pro Bowl: The worst of the All-Star games?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Pro Bowl: The worst of the All-Star games?

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The Pro Bowl is on today and even though I am jonesing for some football I can't bring myself to watch it. The rules are watered down, the schemes are simplified(with good reason), and the best players avoid it like the plague.

The MLB All-Star game is to me the best of the bunch. The best players play and the game means something. And there are always a few highlight reel plays.

The NBA and NHL All-Star games are decent and I'll watch them from time to time. Even NASCAR's All-Star race is interesting because it's not a points race and there is $1M on the line so the drivers will chance a wreck to win it. But the Pro Bowl is so bad it's not worth watching.

So, is the Prow Bowl the worst of the All-Star games? And is anyone actually going to watch it?
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Pro Bowl: The worst of the All-Star games?

Post by johnk5150 »

The Pro Bowl is the equivalent of exhibition boxing. You can't half-assed controlled violence.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Pro Bowl is easily the worst...................
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

The NFL becomes more of a joke seemingly every other season, and the Pro Bowl doesn't help it.

Nothing like having an "all star game" a week BEFORE the championship teams square off.
gr8twhte
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by gr8twhte »

Who even watches that shit?
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

thejuggernaut wrote:The NFL becomes more of a joke seemingly every other season, and the Pro Bowl doesn't help it.

Nothing like having an "all star game" a week BEFORE the championship teams square off.
Yup, and thereby excluding the best players from two of the best teams.

They'd be better off not having a game and just running a skills competition and letting guys like Ochocinco have some fun.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Yep, I remember when I first moved to America looking forward to the pro bowl as I'd never seen it before.

It really is watered down, which is expected I guess. I agree with a skills exhibition instead of playing a full game.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

thejuggernaut wrote:The NFL becomes more of a joke seemingly every other season, and the Pro Bowl doesn't help it.

Am I the only one that thinks this season was about as shitty as you possibly get? The bad teams were infinitely shitty this year.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

johnk5150 wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks this season was about as shitty as you possibly get? The bad teams were infinitely shitty this year.

The NFL has been getting shittier by the season.

Some of the rules are astoundingly retarded.

That, and the lack of adaptation.
justinjc7
Headlining Clubs

Post by justinjc7 »

I agree that the Pro Bowl is the worst. Just about every year I watch the MLB and NBA All-Star games but I just realized I have never watched the Pro Bowl. And the fact that its a week before the Super Bowl is absolutley rediculous
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Anyone watching this shit? I've played in practices that hit harder then this shit. Christ, on the first TD play the DE knocked the Guard on his ass and was picking him up while the QB was scrambling.

Do they get extra cash for pushing players out of bounds without tackling?
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

I haven't watched a Pro Bowl for over a decade. Honestly. As a Browns fan, I like to see members of the team go. Sadly, it's usually a punter, long snapper, or returner that goes to the Pro Bowl from the sad sack Lerner organization. :lol: The last team I watched a Pro Bowl was probably in 1997, because despite hating everything about the Baltimore Ravens, I was very happy to see Vinny Testaverde getting into a Pro Bowl. That's the last time I remember watching the game.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
darthfiend
Forming a Band

Post by darthfiend »

At least when it was after the Super Bowl, you had an excuse to watch it, as it was the "last NFL game of the season." Now it's just a dogshit game sandwiched inbetween the championship games. I'll pass.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

darthfiend wrote:At least when it was after the Super Bowl, you had an excuse to watch it, as it was the "last NFL game of the season." Now it's just a dogshit game sandwiched inbetween the championship games. I'll pass.
Yet that being said, the NFL played their hand well sandwiching it like that. If they continue to make it a part of "Super Bowl Week" they may continue fill stadiums. However, my understanding is that it is going back to Hawaii anyway.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

What they played today was not football. I've seen it played laxed before but holy fuck this was a joke. Unbelievable.

They should make the losers have to play one extra away game the following year. If there going to play like that why even bother? On the snap of field goals and XP's they stand up and walk to the sidelines? For fuck sake.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Frank Barone wrote:The only thing I remember about the last NFL Pro Bowl game I actually watched... is that Chris Warren scored a TD. So, that had to have been well over ten years ago.
I remember that, I was more of a Curt Warner fan myself.
Monty610
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Monty610 »

So who won?
Psychobolia.com wrote:...I can't wait to download and delete this new album.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

Tymaster wrote: Yet that being said, the NFL played their hand well sandwiching it like that. If they continue to make it a part of "Super Bowl Week" they may continue fill stadiums. However, my understanding is that it is going back to Hawaii anyway.
This. Media credentials were at an all-time high this year. Nearly triple of last year's number. Also, the game is sold out and they expect the rating to be up as well.

May not be a popular decision, but it's practically impossible to say it was a bad decision to move it. It's a meaningless game... always has been, always will be. It's just now it makes A LOT more money.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Monty610 wrote:So who won?
Only made it to halftime and not interested enough to check ESPN.com for the score.

Like I want to watch 50 overpaid athletes lallygag up and down a field for 4 quarters ya know?
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Sabu wrote:
Tymaster wrote: Yet that being said, the NFL played their hand well sandwiching it like that. If they continue to make it a part of "Super Bowl Week" they may continue fill stadiums. However, my understanding is that it is going back to Hawaii anyway.
This. Media credentials were at an all-time high this year. Nearly triple of last year's number. Also, the game is sold out and they expect the rating to be up as well.

May not be a popular decision, but it's practically impossible to say it was a bad decision to move it. It's a meaningless game... always has been, always will be. It's just now it makes A LOT more money.
Just because it was a change, I agree getting it out of Hawaii would help but over all it wont have near the same ratings next year. Bet they lost half their viewers by halftime, I talked too at least 7 people who changed the channel by the half.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

UtahRatt wrote:
Sabu wrote:

Just because it was a change, I agree getting it out of Hawaii would help but over all it wont have near the same ratings next year. Bet they lost half their viewers by halftime, I talked too at least 7 people who changed the channel by the half.
They're in a catch 22 with the location. Some people don't want to go all the way to Hawaii the week after the big game... especially if they're in a place like Miami for the Super Bowl and it's around 12 hours by plane. Having it the week before the Bowl makes some sense, but that's only going to happen as long as the game is someplace fun. When the Super Bowl is in Miami, of course players want to go there and party. But will they want to go to Indianapolis when the game is there?

Another problem is less & less veterans want to continue playing in the Pro Bowl. After they've been a couple times they lose interest.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

such a dumb move by the NFL, the two best teams in the Superbowl but known of the players get to play in it? ha,ha

Scab pro bowl!...glad its going back to the Islands for the next 2 years..
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Some bullets from the game.

AFC 41 NFC 34

The stadium was half empty by the third quarter - rain my ass

NFC linebacker Brian Orakpo said. "Everybody came out here trying not to get hurt and give the fans a good show". - How is lallygaging a good show?

Matt Schaub of the Houston Texans threw for 189 yards and two AFC scores, and was chosen the most valuable player. - MVP of playing catch

Aaron Rodgers also threw two touchdown passes, and NFC teammate DeSean Jackson had two scoring catches. - Playing catch

Ticket sales, this year's new venue and slot on the league calendar was a success. The crowd of 70,697 was the largest for a Pro Bowl since 1959 in Los Angeles. - NFL made money and the fans didn't get shit

Spectators included Peyton Manning, Drew Brees - To bad they didn't play, score could have been in the 60's, bet they left by halftime.

Nearly 40 percent of the players originally selected for the game didn't play. - why even bother, it's not an honor anymore.

"I'm just out here having a great time," DeSean Jackson said. "And at the same time I'm trying to put out a little effort." - Wished I could say that and still get paid.

A penalty negated LaMarr Woodley's 64-interception return for a touchdown. "I slowed up to get a little camera time," Woodley said. - fuck off show boater.

The AFC totaled 517 yards and the NFC 470. Both teams threw for more than 400 yards. - Next year we should fine LB's and DB's for tackling and INT's then impose fines for Sacks.

Justin Smith of the 49ers "You don't have to worry about working too hard." - LOLZ

Sure it's supposed to be a little laxed and a fun atmosphere but god that was pathetic. Not one fucking hit the whole game. 40% voted didn't show? Maybe next year we can have all the players compete from their home on Madden 2010 Playstation.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

I was hoping enough players would say no that a Lions player might actually make the team.
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
Monty610
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Monty610 »

UtahRatt wrote:
Monty610 wrote:So who won?
Only made it to halftime and not interested enough to check ESPN.com for the score.

Like I want to watch 50 overpaid athletes lallygag up and down a field for 4 quarters ya know?
:lol: That's why I didn't watch it either...
Psychobolia.com wrote:...I can't wait to download and delete this new album.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Redman77 wrote:I was hoping enough players would say no that a Lions player might actually make the team.
See, this is what I always liked about the pro bowl when I was a kid. When your team sucks and the postseason is a distant dream, if you get a player or two on the field in Hawaii you're like "at least it's SOMETHING".
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

I don't really get the outrage. As far as I'm concerned all All-Star games are a waste of time and not worth watching. They are useless exhibitions.

Why should these guys "try?" If any of my favorite players got hurt because they actually gave a shit at the outcome of these games I'd be pretty pissed.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Crazy Levi wrote:Why should these guys "try?" If any of my favorite players got hurt because they actually gave a shit at the outcome of these games I'd be pretty pissed.

Are you serious? How do you play anything and not "try"? If it was a celebrity fundraiser event for kids with polio maybe, but football? Why even tune in just to watch your favorite player tiptoe through the tulips?

With all the rules in place the game is already pussifyed beyond recognition....Any more being an AllStar is like winning a coffee mug from work.

If I wanted to watch fake bull shit competition with a bunch of prima donnas I'd watch wrestling.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

UtahRatt wrote: If I wanted to watch fake bull shit competition with a bunch of prima donnas I'd watch wrestling.

It's fake you know™
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

It's an exhibition. Who gives a fuck if it's truly competitive or not? It's a glorified excuse for the game's superstars to get together and hang out for a week. I don't think I've ever watched an entire probowl game, but I'd probably go to one if it was in my town. I don't really see the big deal. Don't like it? Don't watch.