2010 Pro Football Hall Of Fame class

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

2010 Pro Football Hall Of Fame class

Post by NeverSurrender »

The New Class:
Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith head the 2010 HOF class. Also in: Rickey Jackson, Russ Grimm, John Randle, Floyd Little and Dick LeBeau.

Hard to believe they'd put a "defensive liability" like John Randle in the hall. Hahah.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Re: 2010 Pro Football Hall Of Fame class

Post by Garbageman »

Good to see a Bronco go in (Floyd Little), although I thought there could be two this year since Shannon Sharpe was on a lot of ballots.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Nice to see Russ Grimm get in...the first hall of fame hog!!
tripsgirl
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tripsgirl »

Bout time!!!

Personally, I blame Triple H -
The sig good for any occasion.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

NeverSurrender wrote:The New Class:
Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith head the 2010 HOF class. Also in: Rickey Jackson, Russ Grimm, John Randle, Floyd Little and Dick LeBeau.

Hard to believe they'd put a "defensive liability" like John Randle in the hall. Hahah.
No, it's not.

It's a little surprising he got in before Carter, but it's no surprise he got in; we're talking about writers handling the voting, so of course they fall for documented, pretty stats.
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

Garbageman wrote:Good to see a Bronco go in (Floyd Little), although I thought there could be two this year since Shannon Sharpe was on a lot of ballots.
"Hey diddle diddle, send Little up the middle!" :D Congrats to Floyd and the rest of the inductees, although I am a bit disappointed Shannon didn't get in. No doubt he will, though.

Still waiting on Gradishar... :?
Fuck sigs.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I was happy to see Little get in as well. Another Syracuse alum in the Hall.
gr8twhte
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by gr8twhte »

What's wrong with Randle getting in the Hall? He was awesome.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

gr8twhte wrote:What's wrong with Randle getting in the Hall? He was awesome.
He was extremely overrated as a DT.

He was a sack machine, to be sure, but he was a DT for most of his career and he had a habit of taking a wide loop to the QB.

Even though he didn't average a sack per game, bumping it up to a sack per game for the sake of giving him the benefit of the doubt, a sack is what, on average about 7 yards lost or so ?

One stat that is not tracked is how many runs went for a good pop in the area that he USED to occupy before taking it out wide on a loop.

So, for the 7 yards he netted for his defense with one sack per game, he gave up much more yardage trying to get that sack.

My problem isn't so much Randle getting in, it's Randle getting in before Chris Carter because a group of WRITERS see a record while ignoring the small things that are as important, if not more.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

NeverSurrender wrote:The New Class:

Rice and Smith were locks. No doubt about their induction.
I would have bet "the house" that T. Brown would make the cut. Very surprised he was left out of the class.

John Randle? Is this a sick joke by the writers/NFL
DenimAndLeather
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by DenimAndLeather »

It's a crime that Joe Klecko is not in the HOF
Alabama Slammer

Post by Alabama Slammer »

Love seeing Rickey Jackson get in. It just goes to show that you really can get to Canton via New Orleans. I don't know how the voters feel about Sam Mills, but I would think he'd have a pretty good shot of making it as well. Morten Andersen will be eligible in 2036.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

tyke wrote:Love seeing Rickey Jackson get in. It just goes to show that you really can get to Canton via New Orleans. I don't know how the voters feel about Sam Mills, but I would think he'd have a pretty good shot of making it as well. Morten Andersen will be eligible in 2036.
Surprised that Archie Manning isn't in the hall...I always heard he was hot shit. He never once played for a winning team in his career though.
Alabama Slammer

Crazy Levi wrote:
tyke wrote:Love seeing Rickey Jackson get in. It just goes to show that you really can get to Canton via New Orleans. I don't know how the voters feel about Sam Mills, but I would think he'd have a pretty good shot of making it as well. Morten Andersen will be eligible in 2036.
Surprised that Archie Manning isn't in the hall...I always heard he was hot shit. He never once played for a winning team in his career though.
Archie may have made it if he played for another organization. He was a definite talent at QB, but it's hard to put up the numbers needed for something like the HOF when your O-line can't block, your RBs can't run, your receivers can't catch, and your defense can figure out a way to blow a 30 point lead at half time.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

gr8twhte wrote:What's wrong with Randle getting in the Hall? He was awesome.

We know this because we watched him all the time. We don't need some retarded stat to tell us any different. We watched him and saw how great he was. To a lot of people he's just sacks and some face paint.

Not to mention he went undrafted and only two NFL teams even wanted to even talk to him and he weighed 240 pounds at the time of the draft.
thousandcasts
Headlining Clubs

Post by thousandcasts »

Good to see Lebeau get in. At least around here, in Lion country, he's still regarded as among the best Lions players ever...along with the Lem Barney's and Charlies Sanders' of that era.

Christ, Lebeau could probably put on the pads tomorrow and still be a better DB than those fuckin' eunichs the Lions have in the secondary right now.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

There are few Nose Tackles in the HOF. There are a bunch of DEs, and quite a few DTs from when there were mainly 4-3 defenses, but there are very few pure NTs. In fact not one player is listed as an NT.
Johnny Van Wadd
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Johnny Van Wadd »

I'd like to see Ray Guy go to the Hall. Those punts really put the opposition in really, really bad field position which made the job of the defense just a little easier.

Shannon Sharpe and Tim Brown will get in next year.
Fuck you
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

SkyDog112046 wrote:There are few Nose Tackles in the HOF. There are a bunch of DEs, and quite a few DTs from when there were mainly 4-3 defenses, but there are very few pure NTs. In fact not one player is listed as an NT.

That's because writers can't read about their impact.

Hah, sports writers are a lot like P13 in that regard - if it's not a stat that's tracked, it doesn't matter.

I wonder if Vikings fans prefer their defense now with the proper tackle play from the Williamses and Allen coming off the end, or if they preferred when Randle the DT was taking himself out of every other play, leaving the middle wide open ?
gr8twhte
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by gr8twhte »

Dude, maybe you should get off your know-it-all persona for once and shut the fuck up. John Randle had a motor that never quit. He got inside qb's heads with his trash-talk and rattled them. He played every game, I think, for the Vikes for ten years. He was awesome.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

gr8twhte wrote:Dude, maybe you should get off your know-it-all persona for once and shut the fuck up. John Randle had a motor that never quit. He got inside qb's heads with his trash-talk and rattled them. He played every game, I think, for the Vikes for ten years. He was awesome.
Perhaps you should get off the pot because the "regressive, magical, childlike way of thinking" is making you petulant. It bothers you that I think a pro athlete is overrated because he plays for your favorite team ? Grow up and get some perspective.

How much was he in he QBs' heads when they ran draws to the area he left because he kicked his rush, from the DEFENSIVE TACKLE POSITION, to the outside ?

There are two people who are upset with me calling Randle overrated. Both happen to be potheads and homers.

It has nothing to do with me having a know it all persona - it's a FACT that he wide looped going for sacks and it's FACT that lots of yards were gained by going to the spot that he used to occupy.

John Randle's forsaking his turf in the name of sacks is the equivalent of a DB who gets a lot of picks but also gets burned because constantly jumps routes. Terrell Buckley somewhat comes to mind, except Buckley had a piss poor attitude and work habits. Or you could say he's the Brett Favre of DTs - he'll make an otherworldly great play one play, but he'll get burned a lot trying to make it.

I did not deny Randle's talent, ability, and work ethic. It would be quite easy to say "of course he rang up a lot of sacks; he was using d end pass rush techniques against fucking guards, what do you expect"

The man was D tackle size in those days, as the end revolution hadn't quite begun. Randle was an under tackle so slicing the middle was part of his job, but he put too much emphasis on the pass rush at the expense of run stopping.

Randle is a nice story, for sure. Floyd Peters and Monte Kiffin obviously liked his work ethic and talent, and he was a key cog in the early stages of what came to be the "Tampa 2". However, there's a reason he was kicked out to DE eventually.

A reminder, I am not saying Randle did not deserve to get in; I am saying Chris Carter should have been elected first. Come to think of it, Chris Doleman as well.

The problem isn't my "know it all persona; the problem is your potheaded homerism and complete lack of objectivity.
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

I have a real problem with Randle and Jackson getting in. Neither is a player that I would call great. I would call them very good. Carter should have gotten in. Sharpe should have gone in as well. The voting this year was a total joke. It became "Hey, let's put in a Saint since they're in the Super Bowl.".
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
Alabama Slammer

Sixdgritt wrote:It became "Hey, let's put in a Saint since they're in the Super Bowl.".
Jackson got in because of his merits on the field. He's second across the board to Lawrence Taylor in LB stats from his era. Even Joe Montana said Jackson was just as dangerous as LT and they had to plan their offensive game plans around him.
kreamygoodness
Headlining Clubs

Post by kreamygoodness »

LitaStrauss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:57 am Nobody is out to get you. Get off line and stop reading bullshit.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

gr8twhte wrote:Dude, maybe you should get off your know-it-all persona for once and shut the fuck up. John Randle had a motor that never quit. He got inside qb's heads with his trash-talk and rattled them. He played every game, I think, for the Vikes for ten years. He was awesome.
How many Vikes games do you think Juggy really watched compared to you and me?

He has more useless stats than Skip Bayless.
Actually, I'm starting to think he might actually be Skip bayless.

Do what I do, and just scroll right past any posts with huge purple font.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

NeverSurrender wrote:
How many Vikes games do you think Juggy really watched compared to you and me?

He has more useless stats than Skip Bayless.
Actually, I'm starting to think he might actually be Skip bayless.

Do what I do, and just scroll right past any posts with huge purple font.
So, how do you know I have useless stats if you "scroll right past any posts with huge purple font" ?

Once again, stellar work, tubby.