The Baltimore Ravens! Now with more murdery flavor!

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

The Baltimore Ravens! Now with more murdery flavor!

Post by UtahRatt »

I guess Ray needed another getaway driver....

The Baltimore Ravens signed wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to a one-year, $900,000 contract Wednesday, just nine days after he was released by the Cleveland Browns following a season-long suspension.

Stallworth served 30 days in a Miami jail last year for striking and killing a man with his car while driving under the influence of alcohol.

"We've given a lot of thought to this, and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement released by the team. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that, and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight. As (Ravens owner) Steve (Bisciotti) said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that.

"But we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us."

Said Stallworth: "I will never get that morning back. It weighs on me every day and will for the rest of my life. What I can do is move forward, try to be a better person, try to convince others not to do what I did and warn others about the dangers of drinking and driving. I have to show otherwise that what happened doesn't reflect who I am."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated Stallworth last week after suspending the receiver for the 2009 season following his plea agreement on a DUI manslaughter charge. The Browns, Stallworth's team at the time, didn't have any interest in retaining his services and released him, but he worked out for several teams after that.

"I've spent the last six months working hard with a trainer in case I got an opportunity to come back," said Stallworth, who also has $300,000 in incentives in his contract with the Ravens. "I felt I had to work extra hard since I wasn't with a team. I'm ready to try and help the Ravens."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Of course Donte will have to paint his car again.

poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Re: The Baltimore Ravens! Now with more murdery flavor!

Post by tin00can »

Awesome title.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

The thing is, I really wouldn't have had a problem with Cleveland keeping him. Mainly, because Brady Quinn has NO ONE to throw to, but Donte didn't do a darned thing while in a Cleveland uniform. Good riddance.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Stallworth sucks anyway. I literally LOLed when I read the line on ESPN.com about how he only played 1 year of a 7 year, $35 million contract. Gotta love the NFL and its ridiculous non-guaranteed deals.

I wonder who gets the most scumbags - Baltimore, Oakland, or Cincy?
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

JakeYonkel wrote:Stallworth sucks anyway. I literally LOLed when I read the line on ESPN.com about how he only played 1 year of a 7 year, $35 million contract. Gotta love the NFL and its ridiculous non-guaranteed deals.

I wonder who gets the most scumbags - Baltimore, Oakland, or Cincy?
Dallas. It's always Dallas.
bighairdiscs
Recording Debut Album

Post by bighairdiscs »

The thing that always stuck with me about the whole "accident" with Stallworth was that he admitted to beeping his horn to warn the pedestrian..... He beeped his fucking horn. If you saw the guy and had enough time to beep the horn, you might have had enough time to try and push the brake pedal you stupid motherfucker..........
BlairSurfInvasion wrote:The lesson here is that if you listen to hair metal in 2007 you are going to have to pay a price, and the currency is ridicule.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

bighairdiscs wrote:The thing that always stuck with me about the whole "accident" with Stallworth was that he admitted to beeping his horn to warn the pedestrian..... He beeped his fucking horn. If you saw the guy and had enough time to beep the horn, you might have had enough time to try and push the brake pedal you stupid motherfucker..........
The thing that always stuck with me about the whole "accident" is people seem to ignore the fact that the guy ran into traffic away from a crosswalk.

Let's get some perspective.

A "rich, game playing nigger" killed a poor latino labourer in latino land.

They try to soften the blow by constantly mentioning he was trying to catch a bus (hammering home the lack of $$$ angle), in an attempt at trying to distract from the fact that he ran into traffic away from a crosswalk.

Both parties were at fault, not just the drunk guy.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
bighairdiscs wrote:The thing that always stuck with me about the whole "accident" with Stallworth was that he admitted to beeping his horn to warn the pedestrian..... He beeped his fucking horn. If you saw the guy and had enough time to beep the horn, you might have had enough time to try and push the brake pedal you stupid motherfucker..........
The thing that always stuck with me about the whole "accident" is people seem to ignore the fact that the guy ran into traffic away from a crosswalk.

They try to soften the blow by constantly mentioning he was trying to catch a bus (hammering home the lack of $$$ angle), in an attempt at trying to distract from the fact that he ran into traffic away from a crosswalk.

Sorry. If you are drunk and behind the wheel, the blame falls on you. That's absolutely appropriate.

I'd play the "Who cares if he can help the team angle," not the "It was the sober's guy's fault as much as it was the drunk asshole's fauly angle."

And for our sake I'd try to do it in 500 words or less.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Sorry. If you are drunk and behind the wheel, the blame falls on you. That's absolutely appropriate.

I'd play the "Who cares if he can help the team angle," not the "It was the sober's guy's fault as much as it was the drunk asshole's fauly angle."

So let me ask you this: Do you stop for all "pedestrian's" that are not at a crosswalk and let them pass?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

You go ahead and play that angle and I'll continue to also blame the dead moron who ran into traffic.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
You go ahead and play that angle and I'll continue to also blame the dead moron who ran into traffic.
Good luck with that one, I'm sure you'll get lots of support.

Why are you so pro-drunk driving athelete anyway?
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to a rally tonight.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:

Make sure you look both ways.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:

Make sure you look both ways.
Will do.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Yeah, I have a hard time blaming anybody but a drunk driver, although the actions of the victim certainly didn't help his cause.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:Yeah, I have a hard time blaming anybody but a drunk driver, although the actions of the victim certainly didn't help his cause.

It could just be that there is some blame on both sides.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Imagine that!
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

JakeYonkel wrote:Imagine that!
The pedestrian had no business in the causeway, but that doesn't excuse Donte from driving drunk. No argument there. I've had many attorney friends (yes, I actually have friends, many of them attorneys) tell me that the number one reason most people make the ill advised decision to drink and drive is this: most blue color bar hoppers only own one car, and thus need the car to get to work the next day. I'm not saying that makes drunk driving ok, just stating a fact. Most of those same attorneys have told their clients "get a $500 car so you always have a spare." LOL. Then if and when you take the cab home, you still have a way to work the next day. That said, if I were a millionaire athlete, I would never drive myself anywhere. I'd pay a limo driver. The judge should've thrown the book at Donte just for being stupid.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

I thought he slept for a few hours and then got up, but didn't realize he was still drunk.

That being said, if you run across traffic away from a crosswalk and get splattered, you are partly to blame -- drunk driver or not. A sober driver would have better reactions, why would they get a pass for not being drunk?

Hell, if you get hit IN a crosswalk crossing against the light, you are partly to blame. Ask a local cop.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote:
Support from me. Stallworth got what he deserved for drunk driving, but the fact remains that the victim was partially culpable for his own demise.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

I have a hard time placing the blame at 50/50 in this incident.. Maybe it's because I lost someone very close to me to a drunk driver and he also plea bargained himself into a nice short sentence..(44 days) and loss of his license for life.

Stallworth signed a $35 million dollar contract with the Browns and could have easily gotten a limo ride with the cash he had, but instead was driving drunk and speeding in his $160,000 Bentley at 7:15am after drinking all night in a swanky hotel.. Wasn't just driving drunk, but was also not in control of his vehicle and speeding at the time and supposedly had enough to time to think to flash his lights at the guy, but still hit him at over 50 mph..

Athletes can get away with about anything anymore with the right lawyer and cash settlements..
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Luminiferous wrote:I have a hard time placing the blame at 50/50 in this incident.. Maybe it's because I lost someone very close to me to a drunk driver and he also plea bargained himself into a nice short sentence..(44 days) and loss of his license for life.

Stallworth signed a $35 million dollar contract with the Browns and could have easily gotten a limo ride with the cash he had, but instead was driving drunk and speeding in his $160,000 Bentley at 7:15am after drinking all night in a swanky hotel.. Wasn't just driving drunk, but was also not in control of his vehicle and speeding at the time and supposedly had enough to time to think to flash his lights at the guy, but still hit him at over 50 mph..

Athletes can get away with about anything anymore with the right lawyer and cash settlements..
I won't debate the sore spot with you on account of your situation.

However, I will say it's not just athletes, as it's often people with means, and I can understand that.

Unfortunately, you guys have an out of control legal system when it comes to settlements/compensation, class action/civil suits etc etc.

Paying someone off certainly doesn't replace a loved one. Sadly, neither does incarcerating someone for life or executing them.

The horrible truth of the matter is, when it comes to those who are big earners, it's more important to get them back to their earning gig than it is to lock them up for an extended period of time.

It costs what, around $35k per year to house someone in prison ? You get someone like a Stallworth (or Vince Neil back in the day). There's a settlement to be paid. Sometimes heavy fines. Not to mention, he'd pay more in taxes than it would cost to house him. The uncomfortable truth of the matter is that it's better for everyone to get Stallworth types back to doing what they do to earn their money because there's more benefit to having them on the street earning than there is to being locked up and siphoning.

Not to mention, if they're a celebrity, they can be used to convey a message.