***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

vanny
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Post by vanny »

Well i'm rooting for Mexico, but what the hell we all know they won't make it past the first round and if they do they'll most likely face Argentina and get eliminated :(
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Hopefully Englands footballers will follow in the steps of the cricketers and become WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Sammi_Curr
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sammi_Curr »

Chile's impressive qualification under Argentinian coach Marcelo Bielsa has made them a team to watch at World Cup.
Saw them last year in Copenhagen. Chile defeated Denmark 2-1. IMO are one of the most attractive teams.

Who's Gonna Win The World Cup?

Germany
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Our midfield got seriously messed up. If we make it to the quarterfinals, it'll probably be undeserved.
Sammi_Curr

Post by Sammi_Curr »

World Cup 1982 - Spain vs Yugoslavia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLYjDNG ... r_embedded#!
CliffByford
"pretentiously pontificatingly thesaurusy"

Post by CliffByford »

Something I truly dislike about modern football is the way that the game is made anodyne through arbitrary censorship. I want a guarantee from the production crew that if a bit of a ruck develops we're not going to get the camera switched to a shot of the crowd or a coach. A good clean punch-up is part of football and I want to see it.

Incidentally, it seems that shots of Brazilian women in string bikinis is fine, but action of a violent nature on the pitch is not. Thus; objectification of spectators incidental to the game = good, drama of the spectacle unfolding = undesirable. HEY, KIDS MIGHT BE WATCHING!

I blame American audiences for milquetoast coverage.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Luckily Freddie and Rob are tough gays and wore the Cruising Leathers and played rock and roll.
Album reviews by yours truly: http://www.swinetunes.co.uk
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

CliffByford wrote:Something I truly dislike about modern football is the way that the game is made anodyne through arbitrary censorship. I want a guarantee from the production crew that if a bit of a ruck develops we're not going to get the camera switched to a shot of the crowd or a coach. A good clean punch-up is part of football and I want to see it.

Incidentally, it seems that shots of Brazilian women in string bikinis is fine, but action of a violent nature on the pitch is not. Thus; objectification of spectators incidental to the game = good, drama of the spectacle unfolding = undesirable. HEY, KIDS MIGHT BE WATCHING!

I blame American audiences for milquetoast coverage.
They don't show shit like that here because the powers that be fear copycat incidents. In a place like Britain where being mauled on OR off the field is more the norm, I understand why you'd want to see it.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

English squad is named. Darren Bent should have made it and Adam Johnson too. Heskey is still shite.

Squad: Robert Green, Joe Hart, David James, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I remember as a kid always being stoked about the World Cup. It seems now that I'm a bit indifferent to it. Some of this, is because I've been burned by past shitty World Cups that have sucked. But some of it is that now I'm in a country where football isn't mainstream it's hard to get it thrown in your face at all times.

No one I work with gives a fuck about football.

So with less than 10 days to go before the start I've decided to try and stoke myself up for the tournament. I'll have to see I still have my England shirt in a drawer somewhere. Looking at the fixtures, Englands first game is on a Saturday, no need to book time off work. The group stages suck anyways, so I'm not too bothered by Englands other group games.

The last 16 games are all on a weekend, so I should be ok there if England qualify. The quarters, should England make it, are a Friday and Saturday. So I may have to book a day or half day off there.

I doubt England will get further than that, but here's to hoping.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

I've watched all the World Cups since 1978, when Argentina won. I try to watch most (interesting) games, this time it's good that South Africa is in the same time zone. I'll only miss couple of games' beginnings if I leave early from work. Kids may be happy, as they get more time on computer. :lol: I've always hoped that England and Holland would do well, but usually it ends in disappointment. So I try not to expect too much.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

My first world cup was Spain 82.

I remember Englands first game when Bryan Robson scored after 27 seconds. They crashed out in the second group phase by failing to score against either Germany or Spain.

I remember being more gutted though, when Italy beat Brazil.
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

My 1st World Cup finals was Argentina 78. Loved all the ticker tape stuff - I was 10 y/o.

I remember that super Ally McLeod's army were going to go all the way. All the way back to the airport more like. There was such a build up to the 1st game against Peru, people were convinced it would be a walkover. Got to say that the Scotland victory over Holland was a great game.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:English squad is named. Darren Bent should have made it and Adam Johnson too. Heskey is still shite.

Squad: Robert Green, Joe Hart, David James, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.
Should have been there instead of SWP. Especially as he is ahead of SWP for Man City.

Oh and so much for picking players who are in form and playing reguarly. Carrick, Cole, SWP and Heskey wouldn't be going with this policy.
Last edited by pieceofme on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Supersonic wrote:My 1st World Cup finals was Argentina 78. Loved all the ticker tape stuff - I was 10 y/o.
That I remember the most and Mario Kempes. All my friends pretended to be him on playground football games. I was 6 then.
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

So Ballack, Rio, Drogba and Pirlo are all out of the WC. All important players for their respective teams.

I'm beginning to think that Argentina would be a good bet. They may have struggled during the qualifiers but now that they are constantly training together rather than travelling 1,000's miles each time, I think they could be a very strong force. Very strong defence, Mascherano, Veron (playing v.well again) & Di Maria in midfield with Messi, Higuain and Tevez to choose from up front.

They were very lucky to qualify for the 86 World Cup and they eventually won that.
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

pieceofme wrote:
Hellsinkey wrote:English squad is named. Darren Bent should have made it and Adam Johnson too. Heskey is still shite.

Should have been there instead of SWP. Especially as he is ahead of SWP for Man City.

Oh and so much for picking players who are in form and playing reguarly.
Carrick, Cole, SWP and Heskey wouldn't be going with this policy.
Agreed. I am very nervous about this team. England hardly ever play to their potential. I hope I am wrong but If think we may have a hard time making the semis.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Ferdinand out injured... Drogba...

Brutal timing. Warm-up games are nerve-racking that way. Out vice-captain got a shoulder injury due to a couple of pretty reckless tackles in the warm-p game against Australia a couple of weeks back. Had surgery and will be touch and go for the World-Cup as a result.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Ferdinand missed nearly all season, he shouldn't have been going anyway.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

I'm supporting England. I sort of fear that we'll do badly against in the USA in the group game.

I think Argentina will do well. Germany always seem to get to at least the semis, so I wouldn't bet against them.
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

arjen robben is now doubtful for the netherlands. he would be a huge loss.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

BD888 wrote:I think Argentina will do well.
They have great material, but it's another thing if Maradona can do anything with it.
SLASH1976
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by SLASH1976 »

coatsy wrote:arjen robben is now doubtful for the netherlands. he would be a huge loss.
Yeah he tore his hamstring in the friendly against Hungary. I thought he would get injured but not so soon. Guy seems to be made out of glass.

Drogba was operated today and can maybe still play in the world cup.
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

AcillateM
Drunken Beaner

Post by AcillateM »

vanny wrote:Well i'm rooting for Mexico, but what the hell we all know they won't make it past the first round and if they do they'll most likely face Argentina and get eliminated :(

You should see every Mexican i know lose their shit when you tell them they won't get past the first round.....then you should see them get really personal every time i tell them U.S.A will be the one eliminating them. :lol:
Landshark2000 wrote:
Mexicans don't swoon. They go "¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa¡ ¡Epa! ¡Epa! Yeehaw!"
Bidokan
Playing in a Garage

Post by Bidokan »

I want Argentina to win the cup,
I'm sick of Brazil, and don't care much for the runner up's.

I hope Mexico is the first one to go, I can't sand one more Si se puede!, o Arriba la tri!!
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:No Charlie Davies on the USA initial roster. I was really hoping he'd come back after that horrific car crash.
I was hoping for the sentimental favorite, Freddy Adu. I guess he just didn't have time to get back into form with Aris Saloniki. Shame... Freddy can do things that no other U.S. player can.

As for England, I can think of no other team that I route against every single goddamn time. What a bunch of dislikeable drunken cunts the English team are. When even the so-called gentleman of your team, your captain, has to go to court for punching some guy's teeth out in nightclub because he didn't play his favorite music, you know you're a bunch of yobs.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

pieceofme wrote:
Drunk Kennedy wrote:being fairly "dumb" in all things soccer...how does the USA team stack up? do they have any shot in their group?
The USA will draw against England in the opener 1-1 imo.

They should qualify and makes a decent stab at the tournament. I can see the last 16 being a realistic target and depending on the luck of the draw possibly the quarters. Semis would be pushing it but you never know!
The USA has a manageable group. Even if they lose the opener against England, they can still very realistically beat Slovenia and Algeria. Of course, the nightmare scenario for the USA is France 98, where they go in all cocky and then end up losing to even teams they should beat. Still, I think this is the USA's easiest group since the modern era (1990), so if they don't go through it will be a major disappointment.

I also have to cheer for Argentina, as they tend to have the highest percentage of long-haired rockers on their team.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

AcillateM wrote:
vanny wrote:Well i'm rooting for Mexico, but what the hell we all know they won't make it past the first round and if they do they'll most likely face Argentina and get eliminated :(

You should see every Mexican i know lose their shit when you tell them they won't get past the first round.....then you should see them get really personal every time i tell them U.S.A will be the one eliminating them. :lol:
Doesn't Mexico get past the first round every single goddamn time? I know I should cheer against them as a USA fan, but honestly, I always cheer for the other CONCACAF teams.
SLASH1976

Post by SLASH1976 »

Ugmo wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
Drunk Kennedy wrote:being fairly "dumb" in all things soccer...how does the USA team stack up? do they have any shot in their group?
The USA will draw against England in the opener 1-1 imo.

They should qualify and makes a decent stab at the tournament. I can see the last 16 being a realistic target and depending on the luck of the draw possibly the quarters. Semis would be pushing it but you never know!
The USA has a manageable group. Even if they lose the opener against England, they can still very realistically beat Slovenia and Algeria. Of course, the nightmare scenario for the USA is France 98, where they go in all cocky and then end up losing to even teams they should beat. Still, I think this is the USA's easiest group since the modern era (1990), so if they don't go through it will be a major disappointment.

I also have to cheer for Argentina, as they tend to have the highest percentage of long-haired rockers on their team.
and the hottest chicks !
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

I hope Argentina wins this one. I been rooting for argentina since I'm a kid as soon as Portugal is out (in the rare ocasions we were even in). I wasn't even born when they won the first cup, but Mexico 86 was great. Those krauts really fucked them in 1990 though.

Portugal yeah, they'll never win a cup.
They didn't with Eusebio, Coluna, Torres etc (thanks for that ya hot water drinking faggots), they didn't with Figo, João Pinto, Rui Costa etc, they sure as hell ain't gonna win with these fucking losers and illiterate faggots like Ronaldo, who should be milking cows in his little island instead of making millions while I went to College and now have to sit here drawing floor plans.

And now with Nani injured, the greatest footballer the world has ever seen, we ain't gonna do shit.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

mullet_head wrote:
And now with Nani injured, the greatest footballer the world has ever seen,
LMAO!