**OFFICIAL Association Football 2010/2011 Season thread**

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: **OFFICIAL Association Football 2010/2011 Season thread*

Post by MickeyG »

Did they show City's parade round Manchester on tv with the FA cup?
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:Did they show City's parade round Manchester on tv with the FA cup?
I don't know, didn't see the FA Cup either. I wonder if Gary Neville's farewell game against Juventus is on tv or Sopcast tonight. There will be lot of faces from the past, even Beckham.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Nevilles testimonial was on FSC here, but I was at work.

Fergie has apparently confirmed that United have signed De Gea as their new no 1 next season. Could be an excellent signing.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

I haven't seen De Gea play, but he's young so he's got a long career ahead, like Casillas when he started. I really hope for Sneijder, why not Charlie Adam too, on the cheap.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:I haven't seen De Gea play, but he's young so he's got a long career ahead, like Casillas when he started. I really hope for Sneijder, why not Charlie Adam too, on the cheap.
Could be a one season wonder. Don't think he has the quality. Sneijder on the other hand - exactly what is needed.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

pieceofme wrote:
Hellsinkey wrote:I haven't seen De Gea play, but he's young so he's got a long career ahead, like Casillas when he started. I really hope for Sneijder, why not Charlie Adam too, on the cheap.
Could be a one season wonder. Don't think he has the quality. Sneijder on the other hand - exactly what is needed.
It will probably be more interesting to see who goes, than who they'll get. Now would be a good time to get rid of a few players.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Rumours of Nasri stalling on a new contract. Rumours about him coming to United which I would be happy about. When was the last time United signed a player from Arsenal anyway?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
metalpowerman5000
Chubby Chaser
Location: chasing chubby sludge bitches the fuck away from my cock

Post by metalpowerman5000 »

" It will probably be more interesting to see who goes, than who they'll get. Now would be a good time to get rid of a few players."
"Can I insure my dick?"-David Lee Roth
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

metalpowerman5000 wrote:" It will probably be more interesting to see who goes, than who they'll get. Now would be a good time to get rid of a few players."
:?:
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

pieceofme wrote:Rumours of Nasri stalling on a new contract. Rumours about him coming to United which I would be happy about. When was the last time United signed a player from Arsenal anyway?
Can't remember the last player United signed from Arsenal, although Fergies first signing was Viv Anderson and I think he was at Arsenal at the time.

Personally, I think Nasri had a good start to the season but fell away in the second half. As with most of Arsenals players, I wonder if they have the balls to play for United.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

De Gea has denied the transfer and Sneijder says he'll stay at Inter Milan. There's been talk of Daniele De Rossi, who I think will be out of contract and maybe Fergie is still interested in Luka Modric. But who knows, there will be all kinds of rumours until the transfer window closes. At least Cleverley and Wellbeck should be returning.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Apparently De Gea has denied the transfer because he's changing agents and that change is only at the end of the month. His old agent wants a cut of the fee. At least, that's what I've read. We'll probably find out for real next week.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Completely owned by Barca, not surprised though. Spend some money on the midfield, Fergie.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

Manchester United is a great team.

Barcelona is out of this world.

I disagree with some of SAF decisions in this game.

I would have played Nani from the start and gone with a 4-5-1 formation. Man U needed more players in the midfield since they don't have any quality(let me rephrase: they don't have any) midfielders to contend with this Spanish powerhouse. That being said, I don't think there is a tactic that would have changed the outcome. The Barcelona players are better than the Manchester United players. They are the best team in the history of this sport. It was a good season for Man U.

Congrats to Barcelona.

p.s I still think they are diving cunts. :)
Bruce Chickenson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Bruce Chickenson »

VIVA LA BARCA!!!!

What a total lesson in football that was, absolutely top class v chumpions of an average premier league.

Messi is now surely the all time great, their really can not be an argument against him, 5 league titles and 3 champions leagues at 24 and 53 goals this season as well as 25 assists, not to mention the last 5 seasons..

Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Villa, Busquets, all top notch, even Mascherano was great in defence, just complete domination, as already said, NOTHING would have stopped that Barca juggernaut, and no, they aint divers!
Ciao

BRUCEAGE

nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

Bruce Chickenson wrote:VIVA LA BARCA!!!!

What a total lesson in football that was, absolutely top class v chumpions of an average premier league.

Messi is now surely the all time great, their really can not be an argument against him, 5 league titles and 3 champions leagues at 24 and 53 goals this season as well as 25 assists, not to mention the last 5 seasons..

Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Villa, Busquets, all top notch, even Mascherano was great in defence, just complete domination, as already said, NOTHING would have stopped that Barca juggernaut, and no, they aint divers!

La Liga consists of Barcelona and Real Madrid. The rest of the teams suck.

Man U are not chumps, they lost to the best team on the planet. Man U has made the UCL finals 3 of the last 4 years. Does that suck?
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

nycyankee wrote:Manchester United is a great team.

Barcelona is out of this world.

I disagree with some of SAF decisions in this game.

I would have played Nani from the start and gone with a 4-5-1 formation. Man U needed more players in the midfield since they don't have any quality(let me rephrase: they don't have any) midfielders to contend with this Spanish powerhouse. That being said, I don't think there is a tactic that would have changed the outcome. The Barcelona players are better than the Manchester United players. They are the best team in the history of this sport. It was a good season for Man U.

Congrats to Barcelona.

p.s I still think they are diving cunts. :)
Pretty much agree with your assessment. And lets be honest, United won only 5 away games in the league this year. The lowest by a league winner since 1977.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

nycyankee wrote:
Bruce Chickenson wrote:VIVA LA BARCA!!!!

La Liga consists of Barcelona and Real Madrid. The rest of the teams suck.

Man U are not chumps, they lost to the best team on the planet. Man U has made the UCL finals 3 of the last 4 years. Does that suck?
He's a Leeds and a Barca (?) fan. The ying and yang of world football.

As for Messi, I'll put him on a par with Maradona and Pele once he wins a World cup or 2.
BlackieVanHolmes

Post by BlackieVanHolmes »

nycyankee wrote: La Liga consists of Barcelona and Real Madrid. The rest of the teams suck.
Maybe....but how many different teams have won the Premier League in the last 15 years?
That's right, THREE.

Chickenson was right, the PL was very average this season, yet we are continually told that it's the greatest league on earth and that Barcelona would struggle to beat Stoke City etc etc...

Last nights game was football the way it should be played....attacking and exciting to watch.
BlairSurfInvasion wrote:My dick is hard and I am truly at war with satan.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

BlackieVanHolmes wrote:
nycyankee wrote: La Liga consists of Barcelona and Real Madrid. The rest of the teams suck.
Maybe....but how many different teams have won the Premier League in the last 15 years?
That's right, THREE.

Chickenson was right, the PL was very average this season, yet we are continually told that it's the greatest league on earth and that Barcelona would struggle to beat Stoke City etc etc...

Last nights game was football the way it should be played....attacking and exciting to watch.

Only a moron would say Barcelona would struggle in the PL. They would have a tougher time racking up all those points, but they would still finish in 1st place. I agree that the PL did not have a good season, but it is still the superior league (world). I can sit back and watch a PL game between 2 teams I don't give a shit about and still enjoy it. Ever try watching a game from La Liga that wasn't between Barcelona and Real Madrid? I would rather watch paint dry. It is a slow league. I love the speed of the PL.
Bruce Chickenson

Put simply, La Liga is shite, the EPL is better on the whole, but it was a weak league this year, Arsenal and Chelsea threw it away and Man Utd were average for 2/3rds of the season.

When it came down to it, Barca taught them a lesson they will never forget.

Pele? Maradonna i understand but Pele? He was a fucking goal poacher! Messi is the COMPLETE player, he's 24, he's won 5 League championships, and 3 Champions Leagues, he's won World player of the year twice in a row and scored 53 this season, 47 last and 38 the year before.

It takes a team to win the world cup (hence the rest of Barcelona's team to win Spain the World Cup and European Championships in 2008) Argentina just dont have the complete team, Maradonna nor any player has ever won a country their world cup!

So to say Messi cant be considered the best ever until he wins a World Cup lacks knowledge of the sport. As an individual, i believe he is now eclipsing Maradonna.

And Leeds will be back, im still loving the great scoreline from the 09/10 season FA Cup 3rd round:

MAN UTD 0-1 LEEDS
Ciao

BRUCEAGE

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Did you see the 86 world cup? Argentina had good players but without Maradona they wouldn't have won it. Then, 4 years later he took an even worse team all the way to the final only to lose against a great German team. Also, his record in Serie A with Napoli at a time when AC Milan signed Rijkard, Van Basten and Gullit and Inter had Klinsmann and Matthaus was also excellent.

LOLZ, take Messi out of Barca and you still have a great team. Yes, he is the best in the world, and has been for a few years but best ever? Not quite yet.

La Liga will suffer quite heavily in future years, IMO. The way the tv money is heavily favoured to Real and Barca while the rest get nothing will hurt them long term. Barca already have huge debts and had to borrow a shit load just to pay the players last season. Bye, bye best players when they aren't getting paid. At least in the Prem the money is more evenly shared and so is a more competitive league.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

MickeyG wrote:Did you see the 86 world cup? Argentina had good players but without Maradona they wouldn't have won it. Then, 4 years later he took an even worse team all the way to the final only to lose against a great German team. Also, his record in Serie A with Napoli at a time when AC Milan signed Rijkard, Van Basten and Gullit and Inter had Klinsmann and Matthaus was also excellent.

LOLZ, take Messi out of Barca and you still have a great team. Yes, he is the best in the world, and has been for a few years but best ever? Not quite yet.

La Liga will suffer quite heavily in future years, IMO. The way the tv money is heavily favoured to Real and Barca while the rest get nothing will hurt them long term. Barca already have huge debts and had to borrow a shit load just to pay the players last season. Bye, bye best players when they aren't getting paid. At least in the Prem the money is more evenly shared and so is a more competitive league.

Messi will never win a WC. He's good, but he isn't capable of carrying a team on his back. Argentina will get killed in the 2014 WC again. Germany would defeat them easily again if they played.
You put Messi on Manchester United and they would still lose to Barca. Put Messi on Real Madrid in place of Ronaldo and they would still lose to Barca.
Bruce Chickenson

Dont really agree, i see your points, but Messi as an individual is superior to anyone past or present, technique, close control, goal scoring, assists, dribbling, awareness, vision, passing, even his strength has improved.

He's complete and he's 24.
Ciao

BRUCEAGE

SLASH1976
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by SLASH1976 »

It matters if you have Xavi and Iniesta in ur team. Those two rarely give a bad pass. Don't know if Messi would score that much without those two.
Apart from that I agree he's the best player in the world.

Don't agree with the Liga being a crappy league. Sevill e won the Uefa Cup two years in a row a few years ago. They hold up pretty well when playing in europe.
The Italian league is far worse.

If the Sheiks and russian millionaires decide to switch to another hobby it will show pretty fast in the Premier League
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

What is going on at Fifa?
Under-fire Fifa president Sepp Blatter has confirmed that Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo is his somewhat bizarre choice to advise football's world governing body on its problems.

Domingo will join 88-year-old former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger and ex-Holland international Johann Cruyff as advisers.

The announcement comes as the latest confusing move from Fifa in a fortnight which has seen the body surrounded in allegations of corruption prior to Blatter's re-election as president for a fourth term.

Blatter said: "These gentlemen are more or less advisers, they are not the experts, but advisers.

"They should be a kind of 'council of wisdom' which my executive committee would not like because they think they are the council of wisdom!

Inquiry

"They should be a kind of 'council of wisdom' which my executive committee would not like because they think they are the council of wisdom!"
Sepp Blatter on his new advisors
Quotes of the week
"I have also contacted the Spanish singer... Placido Domingo - he is happy, he is proud that he is part, and Kissinger also. People say he is an old man, but he is a wise man."
Blatter has been a douche for a long time, but he's turning Fifa into a joke organization. Total farce.
Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Rageman »

Three soccer players - Landon Donovan, Lionel Messi and David Beckham - are invited to heaven watch the World Cup final with God. God decides who will sit next to him by asking them the same question.

God asks Donovan first: "What do you believe?" Donovan says, "I believe in hard work and staying true to family, teammates and friends." God is impressed by the American and offers him a seat to his left.

God then turns to Messi and asks, "What do you believe?" Messi says, "I believe loyalty, discipline, courage and honor are the fundamentals of life." God is impressed and offers the Argentinian a seat to his right.

Finally, God turns to Beckham: "What do you believe?" Beckham then says, "I believe you're in my seat.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Rageman »

http://www.transparencyinsport.org/Henr ... page1.html

A small, small part of Andrew Jennings latest article about the FIFA scandals.

Sunday June 5, 2011

When Sepp Blatter let slip last week that Henry Kissinger is heading for Zurich to sweep away the dirt at FIFA he surely knew that his bottom ain’t going to be warming the President’s throne for many more months. When Kissinger added, ‘There’s a need for modernisation,’ Blatter had to know the jig was up.

Kissinger said of Blatter, darkly, ‘I would certainly know how to communicate with him, and the results will be shown by the degree to which our recommendations are accepted.’

Here we go. The long-expected American power grab for world football, a sport too globally popular, too dripping in money to be left under the control of the third-rate clowns who’ve reduced it to a daily scandal show. They’ve asked for it – and they’re going to get it, bigtime.

PLANET-WIDE LOATHING

Blatter will be pushed aside by his furious financiers, Coca-Cola, Adidas, Visa and the other global brands that pay for his presidential life style and the comforts that keep his dimwit members voting for him. Blatter has made himself the focus of planet-wide loathing and ridicule and Big Money has had enough. All sponsor’s contracts have break clauses for misbehaviour – just like Coca-Cola and Mr Rooney.

Forget the Kissinger who many accuse of war crimes after the bombing of Cambodia during the Vietnam war. Put aside his Nobel Peace Prize for helping end the carnage that he helped create.

Remember only two things: That Kissinger’s secretive consultancy firm tightly controlled the so-called Olympic reform process in 1999 after the catastrophic sex-and-cash-for-votes scandal in Salt Lake City. And remember (are you listening Sepp?) that Kissinger worked on the failed American bid to stage the 2022 World Cup. He knows his country was shafted. Sepp, it’s personal.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Phil Jones from Blackburn to ManU. One for the future, as most of the defense is in their thirties. I hope there will be bigger names as a keeper and in midfield.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Jones is very highly rated and United beat off Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea to get him.

From what I've read, Sunderland inquired last week about O'Shea, Brown and Gibson which United accepted. I think that ignited United's interest in Jones. Although they've been linked with him before, it had all gone quiet until today. Jones can play a few different position across the back 4 and as a defensive mid. So pretty much a like for like but a better replacement for O'Shea. I think personally I'd keep O'Shea for his experience and versatility. But I think Fergie wants to give these young lads like the Da Silvas, Evans, Smalling and now Jones his trust and backing and let them play when needed instead of calling on Brown and O'Shea.