**OFFICIAL Association Football 2010/2011 Season thread**

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

**OFFICIAL Association Football 2010/2011 Season thread**

Post by Supersonic »

It's Canada day, raining, no WC matches and bored. So apologies if this is a bit early and am raining on anyone's parade but new transfers can be registered today.

So to start things rolling, we have:

David Villa to Barcelona
David Silva & Jerome Boateng to Man City
Javier Hernandez to Man Utd
Roy Hodgson as new manager at Liverpool

A lot of Liverpool fans I know are rather underwelmed by Roy. They think he will steady the ship but can't see Torres & Gerrard hanging around either.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: **OFFICIAL Association Football 2010/2011 Season thread*

Post by MickeyG »

I'll be disappointed once again if Sir Alex does not splash the cash. It's not likely though, so I won't hold my breath.

Woy will steady the ship but nothing more, at Anfield. Not much money and shitty owners to boot. If anyone is interested in Stevie G, they should sell. He's 30 now, and his value is on it's way down.

Arsenal and Chavski will be interesting to watch this offseason. With the right signings Arsenal could challenge if they keep Cesc.

I think Spurs might go backwards. Shitty City will be very dangerous with the right signings, and Silva is an excellent buy.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:I'll be disappointed once again if Sir Alex does not splash the cash. It's not likely though, so I won't hold my breath.
He's mentioned that they're not getting anyone new. Not many have been even mentioned in the press. And they're keeping Berbatov. Doesn't look promising.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Hellsinkey wrote:
MickeyG wrote:I'll be disappointed once again if Sir Alex does not splash the cash. It's not likely though, so I won't hold my breath.
He's mentioned that they're not getting anyone new. Not many have been even mentioned in the press. And they're keeping Berbatov. Doesn't look promising.
A trophyless season, beckons.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Yaya Toure now joins City's ranks. F365 says they have so many midfielders, keeping them all happy will be hard. Huh, they will be trying to offload some, I think. Some like Petrov have already left. I'm not sure what they paid, but it maybe now leaves a hole at Barca that Cesc Fabregas might fill.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:
Hellsinkey wrote:
A trophyless season, beckons.
Most frustrating is knowing there's money, but it's not used.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Gill says there's money, but I'm not sure if it's a smoke screen.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Liverpool appointing Hodgson = :lol:

Seriously he's a nice chap but has he won anything?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Ok I checked and Hodgson won stuff in Sweden and Denmark.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Yeah, he only lasted 18 months at Inter Milan. Although I hate Liverpool, Roy will make me hate them less. He's not a gob shite like Rafa was.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:Roy will make me hate them less. He's not a gob shite like Rafa was.
Same here. It's another thing if he can convince Torres and Gerrard to stay. He may have to start from scratch.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Wesley Sneijder is mentioned for ManU. That would be a good signing, playing behind Rooney.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I can't see Inter letting him go though. And it's not like Benitez is Fergies best friend either, so I can't see him doing Fergie any favours.
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

Hellsinkey wrote:
MickeyG wrote:Roy will make me hate them less. He's not a gob shite like Rafa was.
Same here. It's another thing if he can convince Torres and Gerrard to stay. He may have to start from scratch.

That might be a good thing. Torres,as good as he can be, is injured too much and Gerrard is getting up there. Plus, he gets all pissy if things are going bad. The money coming in will be good (if it is used for transfers and not towards debt) I expect it to be a while again before we challenge, but I have more faith in Roy than I ever did in Rafa.
BTW, I think Kuyt is having a really good WC.
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

MickeyG wrote:I can't see Inter letting him go though. And it's not like Benitez is Fergies best friend either, so I can't see him doing Fergie any favours.

No Mickey, Rafa will play him at Left back or any other stupid position that he has never played before until his confidence is totally shot and then he will want to leave. Any crap player on the team will be offered a clause stating that you will never be substituted no matter how shit you are playing during a game. This is how Rafa works
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

jellyheadrobertson wrote:
Hellsinkey wrote:

That might be a good thing. Torres,as good as he can be, is injured too much and Gerrard is getting up there. Plus, he gets all pissy if things are going bad. The money coming in will be good (if it is used for transfers and not towards debt) I expect it to be a while again before we challenge, but I have more faith in Roy than I ever did in Rafa.
BTW, I think Kuyt is having a really good WC.
Hodgson knows Hyypiä and is trying to get him back.
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Hellsinkey wrote:Hodgson knows Hyypiä and is trying to get him back.
That would be good. he may be older but still a good player. Class individual.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I thought he wanted Hyypia for a coaching role, but I might be wrong.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

United linked with Wesley Sneijder. Please let this be true. Crying out for a creative midfielder.

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

pieceofme wrote:United linked with Wesley Sneijder. Please let this be true. Crying out for a creative midfielder.
Agreed. And I'd like Carrick and Berbatov to leave with a new striker signed too. Preferably an out and out goalscorer, and not a ball playing type.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:
pieceofme wrote:United linked with Wesley Sneijder. Please let this be true. Crying out for a creative midfielder.
Agreed. And I'd like Carrick and Berbatov to leave with a new striker signed too. Preferably an out and out goalscorer, and not a ball playing type.
There's talk of Mario Balotelli. Berbatov isn't leaving, heard only about Carrick mentioned to Tottenham. Sneijder and Balotelli both want to stay at Inter though.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Seems like Torres and Gerrard aren't leaving because of age/health/recent performances/whatever. Ferguson claims never trying to buy Sneijder. And City is getting everyone. Lots of nonsense in the press. :lol:
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Fergie also reckons all his world cup players will not be fit for the Newcastle game. Uniteds reserves to start the season, then.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Just saw United beat Celtic 3-1 on ESPN. It should have been a rout really, Celtic were outplayed for long spells.

Really impressed with Diouf on this showing. Giggs, Scholes and Fletcher controlled the midfield in the first half. Obertan looked dangerous, but is still a raw talent. Does some good stuff, then plays a shitty ball or bad finish. Good finish by Berbatov for the first goal. Some of his play was sublime, but he's still a casual bastard. Smalling gave away a penalty, but it was a tangle really, and I've seen them not given. Defence was wide open to create the chance though.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Again, Berbatov does well when there's nothing at stake. He didn't score against the big teams in Premier or did little at CL. He often does goals in these 3-0 or 4-0 wins, where it means little. I'm sceptical about this season. I didn't expect must last season, but Rooney cannot carry the team always.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Hellsinkey wrote:I didn't expect must last season, but Rooney cannot carry the team always.
Same here, and agreed on Rooney. Hopefully Nani will show up all season and if Owen can stay fit and contribute, and if Valencia, Berbatov, Hernandez, Macheda all contribute they can at least stay top 4. It's gonna be tough as there are no signs yet Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or City will be weaker.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:Again, Berbatov does well when there's nothing at stake. He didn't score against the big teams in Premier or did little at CL. He often does goals in these 3-0 or 4-0 wins, where it means little. I'm sceptical about this season. I didn't expect must last season, but Rooney cannot carry the team always.
When he was at Tottenham it was pretty much the same thing.

el_nino
Picking a Band Name

Post by el_nino »

MickeyG wrote:if Owen can stay fit and contribute
:roll:

Regardless, United will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, they always are.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I know, wishful thinking about Owen.

I saw United beat Philadelphia the other night, who are a poor side, and I'm still far from convinced about Welbeck and Macheda. They take up similar positions and get in each others way far too much. I know it's only pre season, but these guys are trying to make an impression to gain a squad place. They should be trying hard as fuck. No wonder Fergie wants to send Welbeck out on loan.
el_nino
Picking a Band Name

Post by el_nino »

Macheda had a ridiculous stat to his United career and, realistically, it can only be downhill from there for him. I've never been convinced by Wellbeck though.

Both of them are simply a poor man's Daniel Pacheco anyway.