NFL 2010 Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

NFL 2010 Thread

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Because there wasn't already a thread to talk about the other 31 teams.

A couple of topics to start this one:
Michael Vick = MVP candidate?
Marvin Lewis = Why the fuck does he still have a job?
Biggest surprises & biggest disappointments so far?
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Re: NFL 2010 Thread

Post by bane »

Vick's comeback has been nothing short of amazing.

Other than that, the level of parity this year has been pretty crazy. I don't remember another season where there have been so many teams in the mix this late in the season. It seems like just about everybody is in it, give or take a game or two.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

bane wrote:Vick's comeback has been nothing short of amazing.
Vick always had the physical tools to be a top QB but he was undisciplined and put very little work into preparation and learning his craft. Now he is focused and has to watch himself off the field so he is much more dedicated and it shows. He is going to cash in big time next year.

If he can just tone himself down just a little bit so he doesn't take too much punishment from big hits he is going to be fun to watch for a long time.

I think this will also put Kolb on the trading block next year as Philly won't want him around if Vick gets a long term deal. I could see AZ or MN going after Kolb.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

never thought the day would come where ESPN would slurp Vick's nuts and leave Favre waiting on the sidelines.
In the past 2 days, ESPN is so far Vick's ass, and having nothing to do with
Favre.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

IF the Chargers make the play-offs, Rivers for MVP.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote:never thought the day would come where ESPN would slurp Vick's nuts and leave Favre waiting on the sidelines.
In the past 2 days, ESPN is so far Vick's ass, and having nothing to do with
Favre.
Even ESPN is sick of Farve.

Even FARVE is sick of Farve.

Collinsworth nailed it on that sunday night game vs. the Packers...being begged by teammates to come back for one more season, it's simply not the right motivation for a guy like Farve. He didn't even want to play this year. And yet here he is, because he doesn't know what else to do with his life, and lord knows he can't stand hanging out with his wife right now.

No way does he finish this season. Another loss or two, and Farve will get benched - he has to be. The Vikes have a future to worry about. Farve will retire rather than keep showing up to practice. If the Vikings let him keep all his money at least, and I bet they will, he'll bail on this season early.
El Metalico
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Metalico »

Some other of the unexpected surprises:

* Atlanta Falcons being the number one seed (so far) in the NFC

* Browns ass-whooping the Patriots

* Raiders and Buccaneers looking (so far) as possible contenders for playoffs.
HMJ
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by HMJ »

The whole league changes week to week. It's a fucking circus this year.
"FUN'S OVER."
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Because there wasn't already a thread to talk about the other 31 teams.

A couple of topics to start this one:
Michael Vick = MVP candidate?
Marvin Lewis = Why the fuck does he still have a job?
Biggest surprises & biggest disappointments so far?
Mike Brown doesn't fire anyone if there is money on the line. I'm no Marvin fan, but he turned down an extension last season after winning Coach of the Year. Marvin wants out of Cincy. He's tired of Mike Brown. Marvin would rather go back to being a D-Coordinator than be a head coach under Mike Brown.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Other than that, the level of parity this year has been pretty crazy. I don't remember another season where there have been so many teams in the mix this late in the season. It seems like just about everybody is in it, give or take a game or two.
By parity, do you mean suck? This league is fucking terrible this season.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

johnk5150 wrote:

There certainly is no powerhouse. However, I'd rather have this than the 80's when you pretty much knew the SuperBowl was going to be won by whomever came out of the NFC. And that pretty much meant it was going to be Washington, NYG, or SF.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Tymaster wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

There certainly is no powerhouse. However, I'd rather have this than the 80's when you pretty much knew the SuperBowl was going to be won by whomever came out of the NFC. And that pretty much meant it was going to be Washington, NYG, or SF.
Or the Bears. They only won once, but that's because of the 3 teams you mentioned above. And I'll take good teams over bad football every day. There isn't a team that can't lose to a KC or Detroit on any given Sunday. Fuck, my favorite team is 6-3 and they suck. Bears.
Last edited by johnk5150 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$tevil
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Football post Thanksgiving is what separates the men from the boys. I think this season could be wind up being a real fun one to watch. I do think parity has given us some subpar SuperBowl winners/games. I mean yes, they were close exciting games. And although the winner is the winner is the winner, there's been some really lackluster SB champs over the last decade. The only teams that stick out as legitimate legendary teams are the Pats teams that won and the Indy team from a few years ago.
bane

Post by bane »

johnk5150 wrote:

I'll take it over the dynasties we had in the past. It wasn't too interesting when you already had a pretty good idea who was going to win it all in week 1. 5 touchdown blowouts in the Superbowl didn't do much for me either.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

bane wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

I'll take it over the dynasties we had in the past. It wasn't too interesting when you already had a pretty good idea who was going to win it all in week 1. 5 touchdown blowouts in the Superbowl didn't do much for me either.
That's fine if there's decent football being played, but the shit is much more plentiful than the good. How can a team like the Giants win five in a row then turn around and lay a turd on their own field against Dallas? Explain the Patriots performance in Cleveland. Is Green Bay so good that they can go into the new Meadowlands and pitch a shutout against the powerhouse Jets?

Explain Indy crapping the bed against Houston. Or New Orleans being blown out at home by an average at best Cleveland team. Dallas blows. The Vikings blow. Despite the Bears record, their best player is still their fucking punter.

It's really the epitome of Any Given Sunday, but it's because of bad football, plain and simple.

$tevil
bane

Post by bane »

I think it just shows that you can't take any game for granted any more. The cliche has always been that any team is capable of beating any other team, but until now, it's just been a cliche. This year, it's true. The gap between the haves and the have nots has been closed. It's all about coaching now. If a team shows up flat in a game that they think is a gimme, they're liable to get their asses kicked. I'd cite some of the examples you mentioned as evidence of that.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Last week Brian St. Pierre was a stay at home dad. This week, he is starting at QB for the Carolina Panthers. This is John Fox's final middle finger to the front office/ownership. :|
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Julius Peppers took his talents to south beach.

$tevil
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Because there wasn't already a thread to talk about the other 31 teams.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=234615
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
SpecialSauce
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by SpecialSauce »

The Packers have 6 starters on IR through 10 weeks.
Through ALL of 1996 and 1997 (Super Bowl years) the Packers lost FOUR starters to IR total. 4 over 32 weeks of reg. season games plus 2 training camps and playoff games.
In addition to the 6 starters 2 key backups are gone as well.
And yet here they are riding a 3 game winning streak and at 6-3.
If GB were healthy they'd probably be 8-1 and the clear front runner in a weak NFC.

And really,Rodgers hasn't played all that well. He's been kinda ho-hum most weeks other than Dallas. It's been all defense.

If Favre didn't play at least average the Packers usually lost....it's nice to see that the QB can be kinda shitty and the team still wins.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Holy shit. Miami had 11 yards on 6 carries last night.

$tevil
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Oh shit! Break up the Cowboys!

And how about that shootout in Buffalo?

Redskins are 5-5, good for them.

The Farvekings got their asses beat again. I have a hunch that we've seen Farve for the last time. I bet the Skins face Jackson at QB next week.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Man, Houston's defense sucks. They had a 4 point lead with 49 seconds left and blew it in less than 40 seconds. To Sanchez of all QB's.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Vince Young appears to be done in Tennessee. He threw his shoulder pads into the stands after the game and left the locker room before he had permission to do so. Fisher is believed to be considering cutting him.
gr8twhte
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by gr8twhte »

Wow, the Vikes get 3 points against the Pack at the dome?

They should be 2-8 and what a lost fucking season. After last years NFC champ-choke I am pretty bummed.
soulonfire
Headlining Clubs

Post by soulonfire »

Hard to really give a crap this season when my team loses to the fucking Bills. Actually, both teams I root for lost to them this season. At least the Eagles are still going strong.
Danzig in the Dark wrote:Roadhead, you are the Jar Jar Binks of Metal Sludge.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Than you Giants for writing the book on beating Vick. Make him go right since he won't throw running that way. Bears need to swap Briggs and Roach, send Jennings and Peppers hard and have Vick run right into Briggs.

They'll still lose by 24.

$tevil
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

johnk5150 wrote:Than you Giants for writing the book on beating Vick. Make him go right since he won't throw running that way. Bears need to swap Briggs and Roach, send Jennings and Peppers hard and have Vick run right into Briggs.

They'll still lose by 24.
Vick has always been a tremendously gifted athlete, but now he is working at his game too. I guess losing $100M, owing creditors over $10M while earning $1.5M a year, and completing destroying his reputation have motivated him. He has no room for even the slightest mis-step personally and he needs to get a big payday to satisfy his creditors. So he's busting his ass to save his ass. Hopefully he learned from hi experience and will keep it up after he gets paid next year.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
Vick has always been a tremendously gifted athlete, but now he is working at his game too. I guess losing $100M, owing creditors over $10M while earning $1.5M a year, and completing destroying his reputation have motivated him. He has no room for even the slightest mis-step personally and he needs to get a big payday to satisfy his creditors. So he's busting his ass to save his ass. Hopefully he learned from hi experience and will keep it up after he gets paid next year.
I'm incredibly impressed at how well he's playing. I know he paid his debt to society. I mean, when you think of what Leonard Little did, Stallworth and Roethelsberer did to PEOPLE, I have to at least resign myself to saying Vick paid his debt. I love watching him play, but I just can't root for him. It's not like he's overcoming cancer, a death in his family or shit like that. His 'adversity' was self-inflicted.

He scares the shit out of me. I wonder what rating that Bears/Eagles game pulls next week. I have a damn dinner next Sunday or I'd create a diversion and run down to Soldier Field. Stupid holiday weekend. Good seats start at $750 a pop. Nosebleeds will only run you $175.

$tevil
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

johnk5150 wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:
I'm incredibly impressed at how well he's playing. I know he paid his debt to society. I mean, when you think of what Leonard Little did, Stallworth and Roethelsberer did to PEOPLE, I have to at least resign myself to saying Vick paid his debt. I love watching him play, but I just can't root for him. It's not like he's overcoming cancer, a death in his family or shit like that. His 'adversity' was self-inflicted.

He scares the shit out of me. I wonder what rating that Bears/Eagles game pulls next week. I have a damn dinner next Sunday or I'd create a diversion and run down to Soldier Field. Stupid holiday weekend. Good seats start at $750 a pop. Nosebleeds will only run you $175.
Vick definitely more than paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance. When you look at the penalty he got compared to others that have done worse and gotten not much more than a slap on the wrist... Think about it - between the trial and prison he lost roughly 2 years of his life, he lost more money than most people can even dream of, he was made an example of by the league, and he appears to have learned a lesson. Unless/until he messes up he deserves a clean slate.

Now contrast that with the rapist in Pittsburgh who was caught for what is either the 6th or 7th time (3 times public and 3-4 that were hushed) and got away with paying out around $1M in total between legal fees and hush money. He never served so much as a day in jail and only lost a couple of games and a fraction of his salary and yet there appears to be next to no outrage over him getting away with rape.