Which North American city has the best sports fans?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Which North American city has the best sports fans?

Post by pieceofme »

A city that gets behind their team(s) even if they are not performing.

Ones that are passionate and fill out stadiums and bars. You can feel the buzz in the city when a local team plays.

Not just for one sport either. So NFL, MBL, NHL, NBA, College football, MLS etc.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Re: Which North American city has the best sports fans?

Post by Kid-Wicked »

boston
regina
green bay
sin
Headlining Clubs

Post by sin »

Your from Vancouver you should know that Seattle has to rank pretty high. I mean fuck people turn out for women's basketball games and Soccer there. The only thing I have noticed is that the local news doesn't give more than a 30 second clip if a team is losing.
scarred but smarter
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Buffalo. They seem to do very well for the Sabres and Bills, despite never being any good and never winning shit.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

St, Louis is a serious baseball town. No idea how well they do with other sports though.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Bears fans are retarded. They make noise when the offense is on the field.

Seahawks fans are good. Broncos fans as well.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
bane

Post by bane »

College towns have to take the cake, at least for the best sports experience. I've been to LSU, UT and A&M games. All three are over the top awesome. I'm guessing it's much the same in any major college town.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

I would say Eugene, but most of the Ducks fans that show up to Autzen are of the bandwagon variety.

Despite not winning a title since 1977, The Blazers have a nice draw. As do the Timbers.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

The idea of "great sports fans" is fucking retarded because being a "great sports fan" is retarded. Support your team no matter what! Spend money and emotional effort going to games and buying merchandise, and rooting for them, even though they suck and have sucked for many many years. All in the hopes that they'll be the one team out of 30 (or whatever) that wins the championship. It's a never-ending cycle of unfulfilled expectations, an abusive and co-dependent relationship.

That said, next year is gonna be the year the Angels and Chargers win it all.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

tin00can wrote:The idea of "great sports fans" is fucking retarded because being a "great sports fan" is retarded.

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Coming from you, that's like an endorsement.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

On a board of bitter, cynical people, you are the gold medal winner.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Rainbow Bright wrote:Despite not winning a title since 1977, The Blazers have a nice draw. As do the Timbers.
The Timbers have a nice draw because it's new and hip and if there is anything Portlandia loves is being the cool and hip.

The Blazers draw when they don't suck as hard as they usually do. Remember the Jail Blazers? Paul Allen's arena was a ghost town then.

I'm not sure about Eugene but Portlandia is the polar opposite of "best fans."

From my experience St. Louis' fans are pretty passionate, knowledgeable and surprisingly non-dickish about the Cardinals.
WTF
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WTF »

Philadelphia's gotta be up there. Bunch of assholes, but they sure are passionate about their teams.
bane

Post by bane »

WTF wrote:Philadelphia's gotta be up there. Bunch of assholes, but they sure are passionate about their teams.
I don't know if booing your own players is the best mark of a great sports town. They definitely are passionate though.
bonedog
Headlining Clubs

Post by bonedog »

Kansas City. Arrowhead is the loudest stadium in the NFL, and visiting teams dread playing there.
Hollywood's Burning wrote:A Kisstard is someone who, despite being a grown-up (in age), actually gets upset/angry about who is pretending to be a kittycat and who is pretending to be a spaceman.
bane

Post by bane »

bonedog wrote:Arrowhead is the loudest stadium in the NFL.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... over-49ers
bonedog
Headlining Clubs

Post by bonedog »

bane wrote:
Not for long:
http://mynorthwest.com/275/2315312/Chiefs-Challenge
Hollywood's Burning wrote:A Kisstard is someone who, despite being a grown-up (in age), actually gets upset/angry about who is pretending to be a kittycat and who is pretending to be a spaceman.
bane

Post by bane »

bonedog wrote:
bane wrote:
Not for long:
http://mynorthwest.com/275/2315312/Chiefs-Challenge
:lol: Good for KC. That stadium is loud as hell and they definitely have one of the best homefields in the league. Never been to Seattle, but the noise level in that game last weekend was insane.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

sin wrote:Your from Vancouver you should know that Seattle has to rank pretty high. I mean fuck people turn out for women's basketball games and Soccer there. The only thing I have noticed is that the local news doesn't give more than a 30 second clip if a team is losing.
seattle doesn't rank. they lost a basketball team and only support their teams if they're winning.
just like vancouver.

chicago can suck a dick too. there were a lot of empty seats at blackhawks games before the owner died.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

bane wrote:
WTF wrote:Philadelphia's gotta be up there. Bunch of assholes, but they sure are passionate about their teams.
I don't know if booing your own players is the best mark of a great sports town. They definitely are passionate though.
Yep. Thanks.
Booooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Watch your fucking noggin. :wink:

"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
sin wrote:Your from Vancouver you should know that Seattle has to rank pretty high. I mean fuck people turn out for women's basketball games and Soccer there. The only thing I have noticed is that the local news doesn't give more than a 30 second clip if a team is losing.
seattle doesn't rank. they lost a basketball team and only support their teams if they're winning.
just like vancouver.

chicago can suck a dick too. there were a lot of empty seats at blackhawks games before the owner died.
Yup. Last time Safeco was sold out is when Ken Griffey Jr. was elected to the M's Hall Of Fame ( I was there 8) ) Seattle doesn't suck as hard as Portland, but it's not far off.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
just like vancouver.

The owner wouldn't televise home games. Fuck Bill Wirtz.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Yes, I hate to say it, but Seattle is a bandwagon sports town. When a team is good they can be the greatest (or at least they are the loudest) fans in the world. Particularly the Seahawks fans who just blew away the world record for loudest crowd in the world at 136.1 decibels. That is louder than shit for an outdoor stadium. I think the old record was 131 or something?

Anyways, when Seattle isn't doing well its a different story. I am guilty of this myself. I watched the Seahawks a lot back in '04 - '06 when they went to the Super Bowl and the year after. Then they went back to mediocre so I didn't watch them again really until the end of last year when they were kicking ass again. Anyways, for as much as the fans around here talk themselves are they really aren't the most loyal when the chips are down.

I do think the Hawks are gonna do it this year and possibly could do it next year too. They are a young and well coached team. Just like Holmgren did Pete Carrol (sp) built this team through the draft. So when you do that you get some lean years, but it eventually pays off.

I will say the Vikings seem to have a very loud fan base as well. That place is louder than hell!
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

So basically, Pieceofme, as you can see from the replies there is no city with the best sports fans across all sports in North America.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Denver. For a while the Av's, Rockies, Bronco's and Nuggets had a good run. I get the feeling the economy plays more for their empty seats then fan support.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

MickeyG wrote:So basically, Pieceofme, as you can see from the replies there is no city with the best sports fans across all sports in North America.
Boston.

Even when during the dismal early 90s before Clemens discovered roids and Mo Vaughn was the only one hitting, the Sox still had supporters. As did the Pats, Bruins and Celtics. It's a serious sports town.

While I don't know about other sports from what I've heard St. Louis is rabid for the Cards.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote:While I don't know about other sports from what I've heard St. Louis is rabid for the Cards.

When I was young the first Card's fan I met had a mannequin dressed up like a smeared lipstick tranny in a full Cub's uniform.....The dude and his friends would throw parties all while tossing darts, punching and spilling beer on the Cubequin.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

killeverything wrote:
MickeyG wrote:So basically, Pieceofme, as you can see from the replies there is no city with the best sports fans across all sports in North America.
Boston.

Even when during the dismal early 90s before Clemens discovered roids and Mo Vaughn was the only one hitting, the Sox still had supporters. As did the Pats, Bruins and Celtics. It's a serious sports town.

While I don't know about other sports from what I've heard St. Louis is rabid for the Cards.
But your average Boston sports fan is a miserable shit of Bill Simmons caliber.
BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BodyBagz »

Wow, no mention of Hotlanta yet? You have the Braves, The Hawks and the Falcons, as well as University of Georgia...all of these teams are heavily backed by their respective fans.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington