The occasional CRICKET thread...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

The occasional CRICKET thread...

Post by demolition23 »

Not that many will care, but still...

New Zealand vs Australia at the MCG tomorrow night and I am beyond excited.
Australia remain favourites but this is the best New Zealand side I've ever seen. So many guys stepping up and winning matches. From humiliating England and staring down Australia in pool play to destroying the West Indies in the quarter finals and one of the greatest cricket games in history to get us over South Africa, it's been amazing. Nevertheless thought we'd make a final but now we have there's this crazy sliver of hope we could win it.

Smart money is obviously on Australia though. Either way, can't wait!
Last edited by demolition23 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Cricket World Cup Final tomorrow!

Post by demolition23 »

38 years watching sport, this may be as great a moment as I've evr seen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLtLPj ... v17SKVTuIo
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

You're right. No one cares. I don't watch insects play sports! :lol:
FamousJames
Headlining Clubs

Post by FamousJames »

demolition23 wrote:38 years watching sport, this may be as great a moment as I've evr seen.

I have no idea what I just watched. But hey, the crowd went wild, so I guess it was cool. :)
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

FamousJames wrote:
demolition23 wrote:38 years watching sport, this may be as great a moment as I've evr seen.

I have no idea what I just watched. But hey, the crowd went wild, so I guess it was cool. :)
That's a common problem in cricket. NO ONE know what the hell is going on! :lol:
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

RATTrules wrote:
FamousJames wrote:

That's a common problem in cricket. NO ONE know what the hell is going on! :lol:
Looked like he jacked a ball clean out of the park in the moment of truth.

I know there's something about a wicket. Crowed went ape. Looks like a sport to me which is more then I can say about curling and I don't understand that either.
I'm not even going to ask about the rules, if he has to run past the line before the sticks get knocked down or whatever.....It was a better slide then RGIII.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Sorry man, was really hoping New Zealand win it.

At least New Zealand did well. England were a shambles. :lol: :x
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

UtahRatt wrote:

I know there's something about a wicket. Crowed went ape. Looks like a sport to me which is more then I can say about curling and I don't understand that either.
I'm not even going to ask about the rules, if he has to run past the line before the sticks get knocked down or whatever.....It was a better slide then RGIII.
Basically that's it.

They needed to get 5 run from two balls, but he hit for 6! If it goes past the boundary in the air it is a 6, if it is on the floor it is for 4. No need to run when you hit the ball like that!

It was also a semi final, meaning they made it to the final which they unfortunately lost.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

What a great win, the SA game must have taken its toll on NZ but I think we have the strongest team by far, when you can leave players like Bailey on the sideline you have a good team

I also find it funny with the Americans bagging Cricket which is the second most popular sport in the world, hey atleast when we have a world cup (or series) it involves more than North America
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

BootyDaddy69 wrote:Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

What a great win, the SA game must have taken its toll on NZ but I think we have the strongest team by far, when you can leave players like Bailey on the sideline you have a good team

I also find it funny with the Americans bagging Cricket which is the second most popular sport in the world, hey atleast when we have a world cup (or series) it involves more than North America
Baseball at various points has also had a world championship that includes as many nations as the cricket World Cup - hailing from North America, Latin america, Asia, Australia etc. while I appreciate that calling the MLB title the World Series is silly, this american baiting every time the topic of world championships come up is beyond tiresome at this point. And besides, if you adjust for one cricket nation having a massive population, basketball is a far more widespread sport in the 'second sport' debate.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

As for the match, Australia were just too good. The Elliot/Taylor partnership gave us a sniff of 250 which with that early wicket we got would have made a game of it. As it was though, the bowling - particularly Starc, was just too good.

Still, a great tournament for the Black Caps. 8 wins in a row and a deserved place in the final is a huge step forward.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:

Basically that's it.

They needed to get 5 run from two balls, but he hit for 6! If it goes past the boundary in the air it is a 6, if it is on the floor it is for 4. No need to run when you hit the ball like that!

It was also a semi final, meaning they made it to the final which they unfortunately lost.
And the desperate run before was to get 1 run, but also to get the more accomplished batter on strike to face the last couple of deliveries in the game. If the sticks had been knocked over before his bat or some part of his body crossed the line he would've been out.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:

Basically that's it.

And the desperate run before was to get 1 run, but also to get the more accomplished batter on strike to face the last couple of deliveries in the game. If the sticks had been knocked over before his bat or some part of his body crossed the line he would've been out.
Yes, well explained.

Cyber Spirit
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Cyber Spirit »

Happy for Australia to win.
Genuinely felt bad for NZ.As an Australian I apologise for some of our cricketers, who are without doubt, full blown dick heads.

The moment of the match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKVMN13rsMc

6 foot 7, 150 k/m inswinging yorkers. Currently the best bowler in the world.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Cyber Spirit wrote:Happy for Australia to win.
Genuinely felt bad for NZ.As an Australian I apologise for some of our cricketers, who are without doubt, full blown dick heads.

The moment of the match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKVMN13rsMc

6 foot 7, 150 k/m inswinging yorkers. Currently the best bowler in the world.
I wasn't going to say anything for fear of it looking like sour grapes, but yeah, they can be cunts.

I mean, how do you give a send off to a guy who's just scored a run-a-ball 80 on you, when you're well in charge of the game and he's done nothing antagonistic? It's just silly. And I don't think it works. They win because they're better. They think they have to do that other shit, but I don't for a second think it had any impact on the game.

Starc being a complete monster was the biggest difference.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Cricket looks like a fun game I would have played as a kid. I tried every sport I could get my hands on. Don't know about the rules but it's easy to pick up and appreciate the skill it take's to play or be good rather.

As a kid if we was down to three we'd play a game of Hot Box that's similar to the aspects of Cricket. A cross between baseball and cricket I guess.

The "World" Series? :lol:

Meaningless.

The funny part, as I was making this post the commercial for Million Dollar Arm just came on Encore.......I doubt I'll watch the show.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

I don't like the sledging either but unfortunately a lot of teams do it, I guess it adds to the mental pressure of the batsmen but yeah agree the Aussies can be cunts and but its always been said that nice guys finish last
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

BootyDaddy69 wrote:I don't like the sledging either but unfortunately a lot of teams do it, I guess it adds to the mental pressure of the batsmen but yeah agree the Aussies can be cunts and but its always been said that nice guys finish last
Or in this case second in the world. :wink:
Cyber Spirit

Post by Cyber Spirit »

For Brad Haddin to say he sledged because the New Zealanders were too nice should be grounds for dismissal. If I was a selector he would never play again.
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

then Australia would not have a team

:lol: :lol: :lol:
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Cyber Spirit wrote:For Brad Haddin to say he sledged because the New Zealanders were too nice should be grounds for dismissal. If I was a selector he would never play again.
I know he was boozed, but still - that just sounded retarded. Is he 14 years old?! I hope they a shake his hand and ask about his weekend next time he comes out to bat against the Black Caps.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

To their credit, the Aussies gave retiring New Zealand captain Brendan McCullum a guard of honour when he came out to bat today in the first innings of his las test match.

http://youtu.be/UOdoUNKyV2I

After being whipped in the last test, we were 33/3 aftr being put in on a green seamer.
McCullum went ahead and extended his world record for consecutive tests, took sole possession of the world record for most test sixes and broke the world record for fastest test century.

He'll leave he game with a not too spectacular averag of around thirty eight, but that includes his years as a keeper, and doesn't reflect the fact that on his day he could dismantle bowling attacks, to the tune of three double centuries and a triple century.

More importantly, he brought some fucking balls to New Zealand cricket, and left it in a far better shape than he found it. He'll be missed.
Cyber Spirit

Post by Cyber Spirit »

demolition23 wrote:To their credit, the Aussies gave retiring New Zealand captain Brendan McCullum a guard of honour when he came out to bat today in the first innings of his las test match.

After being whipped in the last test, we were 33/3 aftr being put in on a green seamer.
McCullum went ahead and extended his world record for consecutive tests, took sole possession of the world record for most test sixes and broke the world record for fastest test century.

He'll leave he game with a not too spectacular averag of around thirty eight, but that includes his years as a keeper, and doesn't reflect the fact that on his day he could dismantle bowling attacks, to the tune of three double centuries and a triple century.

More importantly, he brought some fucking balls to New Zealand cricket, and left it in a far better shape than he found it. He'll be missed.

I was pleased to see that he believes Australia are more enjoyable to play against under Steve Smith. Less semantics were his words.
He is still very young (for an Australian captain) but hopefully he continues to mature and control his emotions.

New Zealand shouldn't pick Williamson as their next captain. Just let him play. I would rate Martin Crowe just marginally ahead of Williamson as I believe the bowling attacks around the world were better in his day.
I would bat Martin Guptill at 5 or 6 as well and instruct him to go out there and play shots. Open Nicholls with Latham, and work from there.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Cyber Spirit wrote:
demolition23 wrote:To their credit, the Aussies gave retiring New Zealand captain Brendan McCullum a guard of honour when he came out to bat today in the first innings of his las test match.

I was pleased to see that he believes Australia are more enjoyable to play against under Steve Smith. Less semantics were his words.
He is still very young (for an Australian captain) but hopefully he continues to mature and control his emotions.

New Zealand shouldn't pick Williamson as their next captain. Just let him play. I would rate Martin Crowe just marginally ahead of Williamson as I believe the bowling attacks around the world were better in his day.
I would bat Martin Guptill at 5 or 6 as well and instruct him to go out there and play shots. Open Nicholls with Latham, and work from there.
I agree with all of that, but am not certain who else the captain could be.
Cyber Spirit

Re: The occasional CRICKET thread...

Post by Cyber Spirit »

RIP Martin Crowe, one of the greatest batsman to ever play the game. A sad loss.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Yep. Growing up, Crowe and Hadlee were our two World Class players. Both kinda seemed like pricks a lot of the time, but that's probably part of what helped them rise to greatness. Seeing Crowe dismissed on 299 is one of my most gutting sporting memories. His leadership and man of the tournament performance in the 1992 World Cup was a real highlight too. Coincidentally, it was the just-retired Brendan McCullum who one-upped those achievements. Crowe was reported very glad bot to see a Kiwi clear 300 and NZ go a step further than that 92 World Cup team (if sadly not two steps further).

He had a long cancer battle, so at least that's over. RIP.

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

One of my favourite live sporting memories was being at OLd Trafford in 89 for the last game of the Sunday league match between Lancs and Surrey. Lancs were going for the Sunday League Trophy so the place was buzzing. It was a bit drizzly and in the last over with a ball or 2 to spare, Lancashire tail ender Paul Allott hit a 6 to win it. The Lancashire fans were in fine voice that day, it rivaled a football atmosphere.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

A bit late, but that comeback from the West Indies against India was amazing.

And I wasn't even that annoyed that West Indies beat England in the final.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I really should’ve rebooted this thread sooner I guess... :D

Against all odds and logic, the Black Caps have snuck into their second consecutive World Cup final, against the winner of the upcoming Australia/England clash.

It hasn’t been as good a tournament as 2015 for New Zealand (or in general) but I’m damn glad to still be watching!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

And what a crazy semi-final! I’ve never seen an 18 run win eventuate from a more hopeless/tense match.

https://youtu.be/HNXhdo5j914