Ever been to the pro football HOF in canton, Ohio?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Ever been to the pro football HOF in canton, Ohio?

Post by NeverSurrender »

Took my second trip there yesterday and my first in 20 years.

The best thing is the busts, the rest is pretty anti-climatic and if you have a clue, you're just reading and watching shit you already know.

They do have a theater there where they showed highlights from last year's Super bowl. She seats and/or the walls move for different views, still not sure how that worked.

Anybody else ever been?
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Ever been to the pro football HOF in canton, Ohio?

Post by UtahRatt »

I dig The Hall of Fame Busts, I like being in that room. Just like the top floor of the Rock N Roll HOF in Cleveland.

Canton HOF - I've heard several people go there a little underwhelmed expecting some huge extravaganza or some shit. It's not Disney Land It's a fucking museum! I love the place, the history and the memories it brings back. It has a lot of shit to check out, displays and a store to buy stuff. But it's still a Museum, not a Vegas show with a buffet dinner.

*The NFL did totally fuck it up and neglect it but that's for another post.*

The Theater rotates 180 degrees.....
The Road to the SuperBowl is a short movie they recreate each year, an NFL Films flick that goes through some history then breaks down the recent season before the theater rotates 180 degrees like you're on a ride and pumps up the Super Bowl for the big ending. It's a good show. It was under construction the first time I went....Ages ago.

But people get some idea it's Six Flags, seriously, it's a Museum like any other...If they want clowns and rides hit Sandusky, Cedar Point.
I've been to Canton a number of times in the 90's up to 2004ish, I'd recommend it to any fan.

If I make it to Cooperstown I'm not going to expect seals jumping through hoops and lap dances.

poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

I've been twice. The last time I went was the day they were returning OJ's bust after it had been stolen. That was a wild day.
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Gritt wrote:The last time I went was the day they were returning OJ's bust after it had been stolen.
Did they return it in a white Bronco?
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

Just went there for the first time this summer. Very cool - we even went outside in the stadium for the tour/presentation of big plays. They're going to rebuild the bleachers and put in a whole bunch of new stuff in the next year or so.

Locals are pissed that the name Fawcett is being taken off the stadium, but what are you gonna do when someone gives you $10M?

Hall of Famer Rayfield Wright was there in his gold/yellow coat. Didn't want to bother him for a picture because he was with a group of NFL suits.

Some of the displays were pointless, though, like Tebow's jersey from the playoff game. Really?
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Utah, first time i went there they were putting the theater in too.

I think it was 1995.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Who the F wants to be in Ohio???
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

Frett_Bored wrote: Some of the displays were pointless, though, like Tebow's jersey from the playoff game. Really?
Well, it is relevant to NFL history. It was the first playoff game with the new overtime rules. And it ended on a one play, 80 yard touchdown. Quite memorable.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

NeverSurrender wrote:Utah, first time i went there they were putting the theater in too.

I think it was 1995.
Could have bumped into each other, I was there many times in 95, first in June then in July then basically moved to Cleveland from August to end of November 1995. The HOF was a mess, dripping water in places. I was still a fanatic and would go every so often when I got bored being new in Cleveland and getting paid not to work "UNION STRIKE"
I bought a bunch of the left over official HOF game balls and ended up using them in tri-state and national leagues games.

I was there a several years earlier and it was the same shit, under construction but it felt tiny and neglected. It was a cluster fuck worse then 1995. Whoever did all the additions had their head up their ass. I remember one of the workers talking about how the NFL had all this money but didn't give a fuck about the HOF, I recall reading story's of how players, people and teams were pissed. There was reconstructions and battles over land and moving it to a better location and the designs. The worker there walked me around telling me story's about how they wasted so much money and a lot was going into wrong pockets and projects. 20 different people in charge wanted it done 20 different ways. I remember the dude more then the visit that time. I think the busts were originally in the first building around the circle....Memory fads me.

BTW, I wasn't talking to you the first post, I heard it a lot from people who seemed let down by some of the stuff, the last was a good friend who went a couple summers ago and bitched about the place, saying it sucked expecting it to be an amusement park. Dude, it's a museum!

I still think Canton is a cluster fuck of additions gone wrong but I love the place. But with all the fuck ups and additions and story's I've heard it's easy to see why some wouldn't be impressed. Still any football fan should go, see and enjoy it at least once.

I would have rubbed my nuts up against a Teabow display. With so many great games and plays that one should be in the janitor closet. How far did Denver go after that?

I liked looking at the leather hats and gear they use to wear and play with, then walk away and live full and wonderful life's.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Machado wrote:Who the F wants to be in Ohio???
Not me, but it beats going around tye whole state when driving from Western NY to NW Florida. Might as well stop by Canton.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Machado wrote:Who the F wants to be in Ohio???
Not me, but it beats going around tye whole state when driving from Western NY to NW Florida. Might as well stop by Canton.

I'd be in Cleveland today if they didn't shut down the Ford plant and if the weather didn't suck.

Did you hit the Rock N Roll HOF? I was there when it was new, just opened, and then a few years afterwords and was really impressed. It's a cool building well worth seeing and depending on what display they're majoring it's a bonus. I was there during Heavy Metal Month, they had an ACDC stage display with the cannons and other ACDC era stuff. Seen the KISS crap but there's tons of cool stuff, you could spend all day in there. Being newer and more thought out without a shit load of additions it's nicer then Canton.
But Canton is Graceland so that ends that.

If you're ever in the area you have to hit them both, I made sure to hit Jacob's field....Progressive Field, Cleveland Indians and the empty Browns stadium when their team left. That was an "Erie" feeling walking around a dead stadium, it sucked the life right out of the city, the feeling is un explainable. Hit the zoo, strip clubs. Seen King Diamond and Mercyful Fate on Halloween. Watched Jani Lane attempt 3 songs before throwing a fit and leaving.

When I hit any new town I try to catch anything everything. Sounds like you did or are having a good road trip.